Author Topic: New Nintendo mascots?  (Read 17262 times)

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
New Nintendo mascots?
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2003, 03:25:21 PM »
I find it ironic thaT all this talk of new mascots could easily be the introduction of old, but little used characters.   If we got a new Kid Icarus game, starring PIT, but made it a little more 'mature' (to POP gamers), that would be the right move.  All Nintendo has to do is reintroduce some of its old mascots that got the shaft, so to speak, and make the games as new epics, and i'm sure all would be fine in the big N world...  they ARE the most innovative company, and if they stay 2nd or 3rd, we shouldn't care one wit, we know what we have in Nintendo is gaming magic, and thats why we will buy each new system...and do not jump on the current fads.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
New Nintendo mascots?
« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2003, 12:33:34 AM »
Ahaha LMAO! Good one Termin8

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
New Nintendo mascots?
« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2003, 12:40:04 AM »
I'd love to see Communist Mario 128.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ocarina Blue

• View Profile
RE: New Nintendo mascots?
« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2003, 12:41:48 AM »
What sort of old mascots? I doubt Ness and the Ice climbers would make a comeback anytime soon. And it was Nintendo that sold Rareware, not Rareware leaving for no reason.
Om mani padme hum.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2003, 04:25:55 PM »
Old mascots that would be accepted in this day in age, and also bring back that great feeling of nostalgia.
I don't know, but Pitt, and Marth and Roy sound good to me.
Ice Climbers are too cute, and would only be successful if they stayed in cameo roles.

Another game I'd like to see:
Duck Hunt!
This game could bring back Nintendo's foray in the light gun department!
But then all the social issues of today would bring teh game down as unacceptable, too violent, and an ecouragement to people to shoot ducks, so that idea's scrapped.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline SatansNemesis

• View Profile
New Nintendo mascots?
« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2003, 08:10:52 PM »
How about a realistic styled zelda game, except instead of using Link, make it a game based on Marth and Roy. It could allow zelda to carry-on however shiggy wished, and satisfy those out there who want a darker zelda-esque game.

Make it like zelda, but make it co-op and with a lot more action and battles. make it revolve more around the use of the sword (think of the 'advanced' sword moves for both of them in smash, only deeper with rpg elements). but keep puzzles in it. Marth and Roy visually can hold their own against adult link in smash bros for popular appeal (I heard one teen girl say that Roy was cuter than Link, plus many people think Roy looks just as cool as  adult Link). Make it have the action of Lord of the rings 2 towers but with the presentation and puzzles of zelda. that could prove to be an interesting bit of gaming.
What kind of Flame Warrior are You?<BR><a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame1.html">http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame1.html[/url]

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
New Nintendo mascots?
« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2003, 08:52:43 PM »
Im sorry but... worst. idea. ever. In my opinion of course. The Legend of Marth and Roy?

This change can't do much I'm afraid on it's own. The leaders at Kyoto know this also, so whats the answer? Mascots, or rather...characters. see, Mario can't be changed, neither can Link (actually he did change in the Space World 200 demo but we all saw it as a OOT upgrade). These characters can't change either because the 'kiddie' thing has been stuck on them or because stupid PC gamers who have been playing the same variation of C&C for the past 6 years(?) say "Come on, Zelda, again? Same ol' same ol'". Nintendo has seen this and it pisses them off that they are the ones that have been innovative the most compared to any other company and at the same time they are getting the least out of it because of stupid reasons (the 'kiddie' thing is bad but dumb guys who are playing the same games with different graphics for years while accusing these new and innovative games of being the same thing is worse). So, Nintendo has to win these players with new stuff. Innovative? Maybe, but the goal is to win them over by selling them things that appeal to them more that the excisting arsenal and ensuring their (the gamers') 'image' by changing their own to a cooler one.

Well said. Every generation, EVERY SINGLE ONE, I have seen people say "OMG NINTENDO LOST CREATIVITY IT'S A NEW MARIO AND ZELDA!!". Every single generation, Nintendo has made new chapters in their classic franchises. Every single generation Nintendo has made entirely new games that go on (usually) to become franchises because people like them. Every single generation, a Nintendo franchise "episode" is an event. People expect a new Street Fighter, Resident Evil, GTA, Gran Turismo, and Madden every year. Sometimes multiple ones a year. Even if these installments are GOOD, it's still reasonable to expect some people to get jaded. Generally speaking, outside of cash cow Pokemon (and can anyone blame them, really, for taking care of a huge cash cow? Companies need money, die hard game fans), Nintendo does not do this.

The fact that a new Nintendo franchise entry is an event in fact can be a bad thing, as people tend to pin the universe on every single release. People shrug if the new Resident Evil isn't the ultimate game. But if they feel the new Zelda is shy a single dungeon, the world ends and Nintendo is d000000med. And the fact is, generally speaking, Nintendo simply tends to do more with their franchises, even if the changes or innovations are not to everybody's liking (FLUDD, Wind Waker, Metroid Prime etc.). When the next GTA game appears, people may go "slightly better textures! Two new vehicles! A new kind of gun!". When the next Mario appears, people go "WTF?" over SOMETHING, a WTF of being caught completely blindsided by something they simply never would have imagined. (Love FLUDD or hate it, that was the reaction of virtually everyone to SMS.)

I think a reason why a lot of people are scoffing at "NINTENDO IS DOOMED THEY MADE SEQUELS" is because, arguing over whether the "masses" want this or that, and how popular Mario still is aside, Nintendo making a new game in a series still means something different most of the time than when Joe Developer does it. Some people may not want to accept that, but there it is.

Um yeah sorry for my rant, i just hate it when people bad mouth Nintendo for making sequals to thier franchises.

Offline NintendoKiD

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
New Nintendo mascots?
« Reply #82 on: June 03, 2003, 09:15:14 PM »
If there was a new mascot it would have to be an evil Mario. He would have a black hat with a red and black M on it, black overalls and a white shirt with red gloves. He would be buff (Mario has no muscle) and no mustache. Hows that for a mascot
Currently Playing

PS2 - Devil May Cry, Red Faction 2, WWE Shut Your Mouth.

NES - Legend of Zelda, Alien 3

Offline SatansNemesis

• View Profile
New Nintendo mascots?
« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2003, 09:30:17 PM »
Sorry about my little mindless idea...see the time up top of each post? I'm steeped in stress and finals studies and a big ol' project that is due within 48 hours that need LOTS of work on it, plus I've been closing a lot for my pizza place recently. and worst of all, I'm deprived of my medication...caffiene... was taking peeks at the boards every now and again to ease my mind a bit and I had an idea click in my head that I spewed out before thinking about it...it is pretty stupid.

Anyway, about possible new franchises...

-Geist? It looks awesome on video, and if it turns out to be the fabled 'nintendo difference' halo killer, we may be able to count it as a new franchise.

-Eternal Darkness? Denis hinted in one interview in the players guide that there was a host of potential story avenues that could be used in a sequel. If given the flare and market exposure, we could se alex or a different one of the characters seeing more of the lime light (what DOES happen to michael the firefighter? it only hints in the game...and then theres the issue of mantorok and denis' hint to "where is mantoroks opposite?")

-Custom Robo? while not new in japan, it is the first one to come to USA. And the video look sweet.

-Wario World? I only mention this because it could become a decent hit if it had a 2 or 4 player beat-em up mode. lol, the 'badder side' of nintendo.   j/k

-Pit! could be a sweet game. but how could it be executed in 3-D?

-Pikmin?!? yes, pikmin, if it is given enough stratagey and co-op competetive elements it could rise up even more in popularity. and a pikmin war mode could...nah! there I go again on my spontaneous insanity kicks...I'll go work now.
What kind of Flame Warrior are You?<BR><a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame1.html">http://www.winternet.com/~mikelr/flame1.html[/url]

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
New Nintendo mascots?
« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2003, 09:36:22 PM »

Originally posted by: NintendoKiD
If there was a new mascot it would have to be an evil Mario. He would have a black hat with a red and black M on it, black overalls and a white shirt with red gloves. He would be buff (Mario has no muscle) and no mustache. Hows that for a mascot

Yeah, and they should name him Wario

SatansNemises, lol sorry, i just think its a wierd idea thats all. And some weird ideas are good! But... the legend of Roy and Marth? Haha sorry.

Offline SatansNemesis

• View Profile
New Nintendo mascots?
« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2003, 09:52:36 PM »
its ok. lol, wouldn't be quite the same w/o link there. It'd be like *Pictures original zelda theme song with marth and roy in 8-bit*...never mind, I don't want to go there.

Anyway, since shiggy's being so secretive over mario 128, do you think it could be a redefinition of mario? that instead of making brand new franchises they are making a brand new mario (and pokemon...meaning a cool NGC rpg?)? wasn't the mario in sunshine supposedly the "new mario"?

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
New Nintendo mascots?
« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2003, 10:01:54 PM »
Well supposedly Mario 128 started development before Super Mario Sunshine even, so what its all about is anyones guess. I think Nintendo will probably show off Mario 128 very soon before its release, like Mario Kart: Double Dash. I hope Mario 128 has both luigi and mario, we need a comeback of the Mario "bros". Or maybe a new type of Mario, a new style of Mario perhaps? Bah, only god (Miyamoto) knows.

Offline Ocarina Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 04, 2003, 12:26:15 AM »
I think there are a few possible reasons for Mario 128 being in development with no word of it for such a long time: The first is that the project had a complete overhaul, because there was a major glitch in the engine, or just because it was thought that the project wasn't going anywhere. The second is something completley original incorperated into the central gameplay, like was done with Mario Kart: Double Dash.
Om mani padme hum.

Offline GameCuberZ

• View Profile
New Nintendo mascots?
« Reply #88 on: June 04, 2003, 04:29:24 AM »
I love the direction Nintendo are heading - their new attitude seems promising.

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2003, 05:53:58 PM »
Super Mario Bros. World: The Princess is kidnapped......AGAIN!
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2003, 09:11:46 PM »
Though there are a ton of risks when you try to remake yourself. You stand to lose a lot of respect from the fringe of your fan base. But it depends on how you do it.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.