Author Topic: Ubisoft delayed Watch Dogs because of GTA V  (Read 5159 times)

Offline MetalMario2

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
Ubisoft delayed Watch Dogs because of GTA V
« on: October 17, 2013, 10:54:21 PM »
With just a month to go before release, Ubisoft crapped their pants when they saw the absolutely insane sales for GTA V and decided to delay Watch Dogs so that people would actually buy it. Simple as that. Don't give me this quality control BS.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Ubisoft delayed Watch Dogs because of GTA V
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 11:06:11 PM »
I actually concur on this one. I think they saw that GTA 5 just sucked all the money out of the marketplace (as all Rockstar games inexplicably do, leading to the death of other worthwhile games) and decided that only one massive open world game could have the ashes that remained. They probably figured it might as well be their usual over-milked Assassin's Creed franchise.

Honestly, I can't say I miss Watch Dogs in this Fall lineup. I'm not particularly psyched for it to begin with, and my Fall Ubisoft shopping was done when I bought Rayman Legends Vita. What I am particularly amused by, though, is that they delayed it out of the way of GTA 5...and into the way of Infamous Second Son, the "launch window game" most soon-to-be-PS4 owners are waiting for.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline azeke

• He's ruining Splatfest for the rest of us
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 11:24:56 PM »
Rayman confirmed for bigger game than Watch Dogs. They weren't afraid to move it right near GTA launch.
Winners don't hate and W101 rocks

Offline MetalMario2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 11:40:34 PM »
And Rayman Legends sold about as well as Bibles in Saudia Arabia. I guess Ubisoft learned a painful lesson there.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 08:42:13 AM »
Infamous was confirmed for February, and the team said Watch Dogs would be at least April.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 11:18:02 AM »
I think Ubisoft saw what happened with Rayman and decided to rethink their strategy. It'll be interesting to see how these sales play out.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 11:33:35 AM »
Ubi's current predicament is unfortunate since their the most interesting out of the big three third party publishers, yet they get no where the success of the other two.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline MetalMario2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 11:52:48 AM »
Well, maybe next time they have a Wii U exclusive to release at a dead time of the year, they'll do it, instead of turning tail and running into the arms of a bunch of unreceptive Xbox fanboys. Cry me a river for those lying creeps.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 12:16:42 PM »
Well, maybe next time they have a Wii U exclusive to release at a dead time of the year, they'll do it, instead of turning tail and running into the arms of a bunch of unreceptive Xbox fanboys. Cry me a river for those lying creeps.

Let's be honest the game would have done even worse as a Wii U exclusive. **** didn't ZombiU and that was at launch.

Still not sure why Ubisoft was surprised didn't Rayman Origins tank and became an evergreen seller after it got its price cut in half after that holiday season.

How did they turn tail and run into unerceptive arms when the first game came out on all systems as well.

Lego City Stories and The Wonderful 101 all came out under the sistuation you described and both bomba'd pretty hard so putting the game out on Wii U only and having a bomb would achieve the same effect.

Also they never lied. Its not like Nintendo money hatted or paid for timed exclusivity or anyting they were just cool with Ubisoft and when the wii u **** the bed ubi decided to open the floodgates to all consoles. 
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 12:26:51 PM »

Let's be honest the game would have done even worse as a Wii U exclusive. **** didn't ZombiU and that was at launch.

Still not sure why Ubisoft was surprised didn't Rayman Origins tank and became an evergreen seller after it got its price cut in half after that holiday season.

How did they turn tail and run into unerceptive arms when the first game came out on all systems as well.

Lego City Stories and The Wonderful 101 all came out under the sistuation you described and both bomba'd pretty hard so putting the game out on Wii U only and having a bomb would achieve the same effect.

Also they never lied. Its not like Nintendo money hatted or paid for timed exclusivity or anyting they were just cool with Ubisoft and when the wii u **** the bed ubi decided to open the floodgates to all consoles.

Indeed. I doubt Ubisoft's looking at the horrendous sales of Wii U exclusives and going "DAMN! Look at all that money we COULD have lost instead!"

Frankly, I don't know why Rayman Legends exists. I like the game & I really liked Origins as well, but Origins flopped as well. It never made any business sense to make a sequel to Origins, let alone make it an exclusive at first for a dead platform and then throw it into the GTA 5 KIRBY'S EPIC YARN singularity.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 12:31:36 PM »
Ancel, Ubi wants to keep him happy so Nintendo doesn't headhunt him.

But now that it has been proven that Rayman is dead, maybe he can get back to BG&E2, the game we've all been asking for since shortly after the last one came out on the Gamecube....
and it better hit Wii U too, or... or... [empty threat I have no intention of following through on since I won't remember making it].

Offline MetalMario2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 01:44:06 PM »
Why should Beyond Good & Evil 2 be released for Wii U? You're all apparently convinced that the Wii U is going to go the way of the Dreamcast anyway.  :@

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 02:08:12 PM »
Because i believe the first one sold best on a Nintendo platform, and I want to play the sequel and I currently only own a Wii U....

and Nintendo will not discontinue the Wii U without having a replacement system on deck.
Nintendo will ride the Wii U all the way till the last stop even if they are the only one on the train, so no worries there.

Offline MetalMario2

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 02:55:52 PM »
Well, that's good, at least. Unlike most of the other commenters I see here, I don't bust a gut laughing every time Nintendo gets poked in the eye.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 03:19:19 PM »
All of here are Nintendo supporters... even Ian Sane, its just that some of us have become more more openly cynical of Nintendo and their narrow minded approach towards satisfying the ever changing needs of a more tech engrossed culture.

I don't really want to go off on a "Backwards thinking" Nintendo who will show potential but never try to fully achieve it because they think we will never use it, don't need it or won't afford it, as that is way off topic to this thread, but just imagine that is what I did in this space. ;)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 04:14:24 PM »
Nintendo is my favorite console maker and developer and even I find myself being cynical towards them these days. Nintendo is like a rock star living on former glory and is about to hit rock bottom. If Nintendo had allocated resources better during the last five years then they would not be in this mess nearly as bad as they are right now.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 04:48:43 PM »
we're all cynical until we see footage of the new Zelda. Then half of us are in love, and half of us are disgusted.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 05:40:29 PM »
we're all cynical until we see footage of the new Zelda. Then half of us are in love, and half of us are disgusted.

The new 3DS Zelda is one game that will push me to buy a 3DS, and the Wii U Zelda will be the same with the Wii U.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline MetalMario2

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2013, 07:19:38 PM »
Nintendo is my favorite console maker and developer and even I find myself being cynical towards them these days.

Me too, on both counts. I just find it depressing and demoralizing to actually vocalize it. I want Nintendo to do better, but listening to consumer complaints is something that Nintendo has hardly ever done. In some cases, though, I don't think it's entirely Nintendo's fault. Take third party support, for example. Yes, Nintendo has made some bad decisions over the years that have alienated third parties, but I honestly believe that a lot of the problems these days lie with third party prejudices. As far as I can tell, there is absolutely NOTHING Nintendo could do at this point to court more third party support. No matter what they did to change themselves and their policies, the negative attitude has been sown too deep. If Nintendo wants a GTA game on their console, they'll have to buy exclusive publishing rights, like they did with Bayonetta 2. Nothing short of that would ever make a company like Rockstar budge.

So, yes, Nintendo is partly at fault, but third parties are gigantic pricks, and they can all blow me.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 08:10:27 PM »
Nintendo is my favorite console maker and developer and even I find myself being cynical towards them these days.

Me too, on both counts. I just find it depressing and demoralizing to actually vocalize it. I want Nintendo to do better, but listening to consumer complaints is something that Nintendo has hardly ever done. In some cases, though, I don't think it's entirely Nintendo's fault. Take third party support, for example. Yes, Nintendo has made some bad decisions over the years that have alienated third parties, but I honestly believe that a lot of the problems these days lie with third party prejudices. As far as I can tell, there is absolutely NOTHING Nintendo could do at this point to court more third party support. No matter what they did to change themselves and their policies, the negative attitude has been sown too deep. If Nintendo wants a GTA game on their console, they'll have to buy exclusive publishing rights, like they did with Bayonetta 2. Nothing short of that would ever make a company like Rockstar budge.

So, yes, Nintendo is partly at fault, but third parties are gigantic pricks, and they can all blow me.
WOAH NOW!!! Take it easy...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2013, 08:17:05 PM »
Coming in 2014 - Video Games: The Fall