Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Review  (Read 23279 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Review
« on: November 10, 2011, 07:00:00 PM »

With one release, Nintendo justifies the existence of Wii MotionPlus.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/28400/the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-review

Scroll down to the bottom for a video review.

I’ve always seen the 3D Zelda games as following a clear progression, or at least attempting to. The triumph of those games is that they improve the formula over time, whether it’s the leap in combat (Ocarina being quite basic, Wind Waker adding parrying, and Twilight Princess adding even more layers) or the streamlining of gameplay (Command Melody in Wind Waker vs. the Dominion Rod in Twilight Princess). Those types of improvements are integral to the latest Zelda game, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, which carves its own path as the next great game in the series.

However, not only is Skyward Sword the next great Zelda game, it is also the ultimate proof of concept for why motion controls should exist. Simply put, Wii MotionPlus adds a whole lot to the experience that, at first glance, seems superfluous. The sword combat early on can be rough, since it requires you to be much more aware of the direction you swing the Wii Remote/sword, but the game is designed to ease you in. It gives you time to learn the mechanics and rules, clearly laying them out to you at a fine pace. Eventually, you’ll be mowing down enemies at a nice clip without taking hits. It’s a challenging system, especially when you have to deal with shields that can weaken and break if you mistime your parry with the Nunchuk.

The weapons you gain all have their own nuance to them as well. Bombs can be thrown or bowled, and MotionPlus even reads subtle tilt, allowing you to play Bowling for Bokoblins. Because of the flexibility of the weapons you acquire, there are often multiple ways to solve puzzles and fight enemies. One person might use the beetle to flip a switch, while another might use the slingshot. You can use the sword to slice Deku Babas, toss a bomb at them so they eat it and explode, or fly the beetle at one to cut its stem. If you love a weapon, chances are you can upgrade it using the new forging mechanic. It’s totally optional, as you don’t have to upgrade a single weapon throughout the story, but the upgrades are meaningful, adding new functionality to your items. For example, the slingshot gets a scatter technique that fires off multiple seeds at once.

The line between the world and dungeons is blurred throughout all of Skyward Sword. Each of the game’s main adventuring areas are like dungeons in themselves, as you’ll have to solve puzzles, fight enemies, and fight mini-bosses before you even make it to what older games would label a dungeon. This setup allows the dungeons to be significantly trickier and much more focused. The amount of creativity expressed in the dungeons and the overworld is wondrous. It falters at times, especially as you revisit areas multiple times and complete numerous fetch quests that sometimes feel like padding, but the game holds up very well over a 35+ hour experience.

The bosses, for one of the first times in the series, don’t seem to slavishly follow the typical three-hits-to-kill pattern. With the exception of a few duds, the bosses are an excellent mix of spectacle and challenge. Some highlights include a (highlight for boss spoilers)battle with a giant sea monster on a pirate ship, and a high-flying battle against a parasite-infested flying whale. The final series of bosses are suitably epic as well.

The bosses are quite challenging, but if you get stuck, don’t fret. Nintendo’s use of the Super Guide in Skyward Sword is nothing sort of masterful. Basically, you have access to a multi-layered FAQ in the game. Your Navi-esque character, Fi, gives you vague hints initially. Then, after some time, she spells it out a little more clearly. And if you get really stuck, you can back out to Skyloft and view teasing hint videos at a Shiekah Stone.

I won’t go too deep into the game’s story, but I will say it does indeed link to the series as a whole. It doesn’t have moments that rival the gravity of Wind Waker, but it tells a coherent story that features well-directed cut scenes and fantastic dialog. The localization team at the Treehouse outdid themselves, as there are quite a few sly series and pop culture references.

Skyward Sword is an epic, the sort of epic you call out of work or school for a few days to complete. A focused playthrough will take you north of 30 hours, and if you try to 100% the game, there is a 50+ hour quest to go through. Throw in the second quest, dubbed Hero Mode, and there is a lot of game to play.

Not only is The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword the ultimate Zelda game, it’s also the ultimate Wii game. You can see bits and pieces of nearly every other Zelda game and any game Nintendo has worked on with motion controls, from Super Mario Galaxy and Wii Sports Resort to Wii Music and Animal Crossing. If you bought a Wii, you owe it to yourself to get this game right away. After all, isn’t one-to-one swordplay what made us all excited about the Wii in the first place?

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword Review
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 03:22:54 AM »
Based on some grumblings on the Connectivity audio show, I didn't expect the game to be awarded the highest score.

I'm very eager to get this game. However, the bundle with the Wii Remote isn't available on Amazon. A shame since I have a Prime account. Perhaps I will see if other stores have it. Or mabye I should just not bother getting a 4th remote.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 04:08:25 AM »
I didn't think anything less than a 10 was ever on the cards given what Twilight princess got. Even without playing the game, you could tell that they had somehow quantified what went wrong in previous Zelda games. Not to say they were bad, but there was always that nagging feeling that didn't let it surpass OoT.

Whether it was handheld or console, it always felt that they weren't quite completely happy with what they released. With Wind Waker it was the cut dungeons, the repeating temple in hourglass, literal railroading in Spirit tracks, mirror imaged world over Link handiness in Twilight princess, Majora's Masks gaiden like experience. Something was never quite right and you don't get that feeling here.

For this game, their only fault was going a little too far in giving things for you to do and as a flaw there are far worse sins to commit.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline scrawnton

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 06:37:06 AM »
Heh? I apologize, I overreacted about a spoiler because I contextualized  it to be something it was not. I apologize if I made a scene.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 02:39:01 PM by scrawnton »

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 07:11:19 AM »
Based on some grumblings on the Connectivity audio show, I didn't expect the game to be awarded the highest score.

Kinda hard to go by that though. Connectivity like NewsCast before it always seems to have a negative and mainly complaining slant to it in general. Complaining about games isn't a bad thing but when it seems like that is the majority stance all the time I can't help but notice it and wonder why some even bother doing the show. Mix messages do indeed get sent. It's why I stopped listing to NewsCast and why I've stopped with Connectivity after a few episodes.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 07:46:56 AM »

Kinda hard to go by that though. Connectivity like NewsCast before it always seems to have a negative and mainly complaining slant to it in general. Complaining about games isn't a bad thing but when it seems like that is the majority stance all the time I can't help but notice it and wonder why some even bother doing the show. Mix messages do indeed get sent. It's why I stopped listing to NewsCast and why I've stopped with Connectivity after a few episodes.

It should be noted that when we were recording an episode of Connectivity, Neal was still in the first few dungeons of the game where the controls were still being tested and on a rough stage. It seems that the game picks up significantly after a few dungeons and the story finally gets into its better moments, so it is likely that this review is a reflection of the experience as a whole. This is why Neal played the full game then reviewed it rather than review the game based on the first four or five dungeons in the game.

Plus, while recording that episode we discussed how reviews for this game would be and how the game would eventually be seen years later. Twilight Princess got great to amazing reviews back when it first launched, and now it is considered to be one of the most disappointing entries in the whole series. So with Skyward Sword we wondered if it would be fair to praise the game if it would eventually fail to live up to its potential years later after the hype has disappeared.

In other words, lots of thought and discussion about this happened. Also, regarding the negativity, once again, if you guys find that upsetting you haven't heard the worse the internet can offer in terms of podcast negativity. Plus, if things were far more positive, the complain would be that it would be too much like a fanboy podcast where everything is great.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 07:48:30 AM »
I came for the review, I left fucking dissappointed at the second screenshot of the review that contains a huge spoiler. I kind of figured a Nintendo site wouldn't spoil such an important game to their fans so willingly.

Heh, blame Nintendo on that. They provided several spoiler-ish screenshots for this. Besides, if you don't know the context behind the screen, why is it a spoiler? Because it briefly revealed a scene you were hoping to see for yourself?
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 08:57:16 AM »
I haven't the slightest clue what that screenshot means. I see Zelda and a harp. Right.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 09:03:18 AM »
Well, I'm glad Skyward Sword turned out to be worth its rather lengthy wait.  I don't believe in any game deserving a 10 unless it's a game that completely redefines how we look at gaming, but from the sounds of it Neal may have justified just that.  It's going to be painful waiting for this game, either until I get it for Christmas or pick it up discounted later on.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 09:14:21 AM »
I try to avoid paying full price on games whenever possible, but for this, an exception will absolutely be made. My usual approach to Zelda games is to savour them - I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if I clocked over 50 or 60 hours the first time through. Work assignments be damned!
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 09:16:22 AM »
Yeah that second screen with Zelda and the harp I could have told you before I knew anything about the game.

Zelda and an Instrument.

I try to avoid paying full price on games whenever possible, but for this, an exception will absolutely be made. My usual approach to Zelda games is to savour them - I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if I clocked over 50 or 60 hours the first time through. Work assignments be damned!
Broodwars is buying it used in protest to NoA not releasing the Operation Rainfall games.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 09:21:31 AM »
Broodwars is buying it used in protest to NoA not releasing the Operation Rainfall games.

Yep, plus there's just a glut of other games I want to play this time of year.  Even if I wasn't anti-NoA at the moment, I don't know where I'd find the money for Zelda right now (though the 15% off New games coupon I got from GS is tempting).  Finances are tighter than ever right now.

Offline Penguin_Of_Thyme

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2011, 10:05:14 AM »
I added the video version of the review.
Jared Rosenberg
Video Producer, Nintendo World Report

Offline DanielM

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2011, 10:30:06 AM »
I can't wait 9 more days. I want this game so badly. On another note, this game is receiving 10s everywhere.
Daniel Mousseau
Web Programmer

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2011, 11:22:52 AM »
Good thing Super Mario Land is supposed to be short. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 11:24:00 AM »
Good thing Super Mario Land is supposed to be short. :D
Is it?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2011, 12:08:26 PM »
I can't wait 9 more days. I want this game so badly. On another note, this game is receiving 10s everywhere.

Everywhere, huh?  That 1up review brings up some troubling issues with the game's pacing and a somewhat arbitrary nature to the game's mechanics.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2011, 12:14:25 PM »
It took him 10 hours to realize that the controls were carried over from Wii Sports Resort? Was he not following the game at all beforehand?
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2011, 12:36:41 PM »
I'd like to reiterate something that I feel people are selling short: The Silent Realm segments are awesome. You'll probably hate them, but only because they're so intense and very well done.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2011, 01:36:16 PM »

Everywhere, huh?  That 1up review brings up some troubling issues with the game's pacing and a somewhat arbitrary nature to the game's mechanics.

And one detractor review out of a ton of extremely positive, obviously means it should be the one focused on. Seriously, I think you are just trying to find reasons not to like the game. I doubt you focused as much on detractor  reviews of other games that you are looking forward to more then Skyward Sword. The "complaints" in that review were minor at best and yet the reviewer knocked the game down to a B+. Any game that is 40+ hrs isn't going to be perfectly paced, not even OOT was perfectly paced, lacking fetch quests.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 01:52:25 PM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2011, 01:42:51 PM »
I believe that was just Broodwar making a commentary on blanket statements.  Which holds true that the use of blanket statements in a discussion is like using a word to define itself.

I went though that review looking specifically for what he didn't like and it boiled down to this.

The Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks segments which I can definitely see as being frustrating and Fetch quests being used more then warranted.

I can see why he knock the game down if those weren't his cup of tea.  I do have to agree about the fetch quests.  They are needed but, eventual they hit a threshold where there just filler and annoying.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2011, 01:48:13 PM »
I believe that was just Broodwar making a commentary on blanket statements.  Which holds true that the use of blanket statements in a discussion is like using a word to define itself.

I went though that review looking specifically for what he didn't like and it boiled down to this.

The Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks segments which I can definitely see as being frustrating and Fetch quests being used more then warranted.

I can see why he knock the game down if those weren't his cup of tea.  I do have to agree about the fetch quests.  They are needed but, eventual they hit a threshold where there just filler and annoying.

The review score comes across as flame bait with the B+ score. Nothing really in that review justified dragging the score down that far. Now in regards to the fetch quests, maybe Neal can clear that up, are they any worse then other Zeldas?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2011, 01:57:39 PM »
Undoubtedly the 1up review of A for Uncharted 3 is justified though.

Actually, if you'd seen my Uncharted 3 topic in Gaming Goodness, you'd know that I've been rather down on that game and found it disappointing.

And I always find the reviews that don't just hand out high scores like Pez candy the most interesting, especially if they can back up their score with solid criticism.  Like I said, I don't take issue with Neal's review specifically.  I just have major philosophical issues with giving a game a 10.  Once you've done that, that's it.  Whether you like it or not, when you give a game a perfect score you are declaring that the game is flawless, that there is no room for improvement.  I've raised this exact problem with sites that are handing out 10s for Skyrim right now, despite openly admitting that the game is buggy, has broken quests, and is prone to crash from time to time.  Even Jonny now admits that he regrets giving Twilight Princess a 10 when it released, but that he got caught up in the hype.

To me, a 10 is the goal that every game strives towards, but very few are worthy of receiving and it should be an event when it does.  I personally would probably only have ever awarded one to Chrono Trigger.  I'm not taking any specific issues with Neal's review and I'm not insinuating this is something he did, but I think in general our industry is way too eager to hand out 10s just because they want the acclaim or infamy of giving a certain game a perfect score.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 02:00:14 PM by broodwars »

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2011, 02:00:56 PM »

The review score comes across as flame bait with the B+ score. Nothing really in that review justified dragging the score down that far. Now in regards to the fetch quests, maybe Neal can clear that up, are they any worse then other Zeldas?
B+ would be what the equivalent of a 8-9.  What was the game here that got like a 6 where ever else it was getting 9 and 10.

Anyways, I would like to generalize that question a little more since Zelda's tend to be a little low on the fetch quests for the most part. 

How does it compare to modern Quest based games in the number of Fetch Quests?
I started with RPGs but there are some action games that would fit too.  Darn Genre splitting games.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2011, 02:03:02 PM »
What I find amusing about that B+ is that Metacritic apparently interprets that as an 83.  Funny, but when I was in school a B+ was in the high 80s or a 90.