Author Topic: Zelda Wii U: The Future of Grooseland in the hands of Aonuma  (Read 13039 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Zelda Wii U: The Future of Motion Controls in the hands of Aonuma
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2011, 08:44:19 PM »
The next console Zelda to also use motion controls?

Nintendo: Zelda series keeping motion controls
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-12-12-nintendo-zelda-series-keeping-motion-controls
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword's motion control scheme is here to stay, series boss Eiji Aonuma has said.

Despite initial misgivings about requiring players to use the Wii Remote's MotionPlus attachment, Aonuma now believes buttons are a thing of the past for the Zelda series.

"I honestly think we cannot go back to button controls now", Aonuma revealed in a new ONM interview (via Kotaku). "So I think that these controls will be used in future Zelda titles, too."

Nintendo demonstrated a Zelda "experience" for the Wii U during its unveiling at E3 this year.

The Wii U's tablet controller was used as a touch-screen inventory.

Will players be asked to use a Wii Remote Plus and tablet controller together? Or will the inevitable Wii U incarnation include better usage of the tablet, too?

Zelda games for handheld systems will presumably keep the series' classic button controls. After this year's re-release of Ocarina of Time, the next 3DS Zelda game will be all-new, Aonuma recently said.

I've only played a little of the current game, but there are some things that should be using more pointer than motion, like menu/speech selection and anything that requires pointing at something. Motion can help out when your not pointing at the screen, but the pointer should still be used in some cases.

I also hope they put a gyro & accelerometer in the nunchuck since they seem to have no plan to upgrade the wiimote itself. we could atleast get a nunchuck+ going into the next gen to compliment the M+ which will both come secondary to the uMote.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: Zelda Wii U: The Future of Grooseland in the hands of Aonuma
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2011, 09:40:30 PM »
What I would like for Nintendo to do is bring back the Vitality sensor and integrate biometics into the motion control of the next Zelda game. I imagine that the player's heartbeat could influence how Link's sword registers hits and how the enenmies react to Link's sword swings. Swinging the Wiimote does get tiring, so I assume that the more you play the game the more the sensor will alter the game.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Zelda Wii U: Retro to the Rescue!?
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2011, 03:30:25 PM »
Miyamoto suggest that Retro could be a good fit for .....(wait for it)....... Zelda!?
Kytim has been put on temporary spontaneous joyplosion watch

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/12/miyamoto-interview-transcript/all/1
Wired.com: It’s come out since Mario Kart 7 came out, there have been some articles about how Retro Studios was very deeply involved in the making of this game, and it’s considered a landmark for the series because you had this collaboration between EAD and Retro. And I’m curious as to whether you think that this would be an interesting model for more games, like a Mario platformer or a Zelda game, to have a Western team and a Japanese team working in close concert to produce a game like that.

Miyamoto: First of all, let me talk a little bit more in detail about how we collaborated with Retro Studios this time. Of course, they were taking care of the game designing aspect. Specifically, they were taking care of the design of the courses and the artwork about that. But when it comes to the gameplay and the control mechanism itself, that’s being taken care of by EAD once again.

People often say that videogames made by Western developers are somehow different in terms of taste for the players, in comparison with Japanese games. I think that means that the Western developers and Japanese developers, they are good at different fields. And that resulted in a different taste in [their games]. Mario Kart, I believe, was good in order to express that kind of different taste because we have many kinds of different courses for the Mario karts to run and race around. So for each of the different courses, we could identify: Retro is supposed to take care of this course, and EAD is going to do that, and such and such. Then, we were able to join forces in order to realize a variety of different courses, a variety of different tastes. I think that’s one reason how it worked out well between a Japanese development team and a Western development team.

As you know, we have already collaborated with Retro for the Metroid Prime series in the past. And I think when we talk about any other franchise, Zelda might be a possible franchise for that collaboration

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2011, 03:45:04 PM »
If Retro is given a new console Zelda project, I wonder how much free reign Nintendo would give them to really experiment with the concept and create something fresh.  Sakamoto blocked them from things like doing anything in the Metroid Prime games that showed Samus Aran as a Bounty Hunter, so they were pretty tied into a formula after the first Prime game.  Still, I'd definitely be all for a qualified Western studio like Retro taking a crack at Zelda.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2011, 04:00:19 PM »
It was rumored that Retro was making a M+ Zelda spin-off, which I will assume was to demonstrate M+ like Link's Crossbow did for the pointer, but that supposedly got shelved a few years back.

Can only wonder what happened to the concept they were working on. I wonder if that is the next game they requested after Donkey Kong Country.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2011, 04:57:21 PM »
I've been avoiding this thread because I'm not that far into Skyward Sword and don't want to risk spoilers so it's good that BlackNMild referenced the Retro rumour in another thread.

While I would prefer Retro to make something brand new, I'm sure they would make a kick-ass version of Zelda!  I'm all for it!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2011, 05:23:18 PM »
I was avoiding the other Zelda Thread because I just started Zelda and didn't want to be spoiled, only popping in there now to post and not so much to read.

But this thread is more about what's next for Zelda and not so much the details of Zelda SS, but i could see how there may be slight spoilers when people make suggestion on what to do differently for the Wii U Zelda that was done wrong in the Skyward Sword.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2011, 06:09:27 PM »
If Retro was retrained to the typical Zelda Formula...I think there is still plenty of room for the game to grow.  Actually, I would love for Nintendo to give Retro the WiiU Zelda game, and just say, make a traditional High Definition Zelda game and use the WiiU tablet...GO!!!

Then let the Zelda team create another Zelda game with motion controls.  The Retro game would be an awesome Holiday 2012 game, and a few years later we could get the motion controlled WiiU Zelda.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2011, 09:43:18 PM »
Do we know who made the E3 Zelda clip?  Was it Nintendo?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2011, 12:15:10 AM »
If I had to take a shot in the dark.... Retro Studios maybe!?

I'm sure they had the assets as they were working on something Zelda at some point. Who's to say that the E3 demo isn't the results of what they were working on?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2011, 02:30:30 AM »
Sakamoto blocked them from things like doing anything in the Metroid Prime games that showed Samus Aran as a Bounty Hunter

Seriously? That's the stupidest thing I ever heard. Samus Aran IS a bounter hunter. That's as ridiculous as blocking things which show Mario and Luigi to be plumbers.
is your sanity...

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2011, 03:27:22 AM »
Because plumbing has been such a mainstay of the Super Mario gameplay over the years.

Edit: took me long enough to realize that was missing from my post.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 03:10:21 AM by nickmitch »
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2011, 02:45:41 AM »
If I had to take a shot in the dark.... Retro Studios maybe!?

I'm sure they had the assets as they were working on something Zelda at some point. Who's to say that the E3 demo isn't the results of what they were working on?

If that is the fruitage of their efforts then count me in.  With buttons. No motion

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2011, 04:52:44 PM »
So in the latest Game Informer, Matt Stone and Trey Parker (creators of South Park) are featured in the long article about their upcoming South Park RPG (which I had no idea existed but will do everything in my power to own) saying that they hate when games give the protagonist a voice. In fact, they go out of their way to give several examples of games that rip them out of the gameplay because "I would never say something like that." Finally concluding that one of the reasons they love Zelda is because Link never talks.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2011, 03:00:31 AM »
I finished SS today, and I really enjoyed the final boss battle. It wasn't terribly innovative (aside from its implementation of Wii Motion Plus), but it did have a few moments where I found myself thinking, "That's awesome."

After playing through SS in 48 hours I can say that, as a completionist, I would love for them to streamline the game even further. As far as I'm concerned, there is no point in including bug collecting if there is no ultimate goal for doing so. I enjoyed this aspect much more in Twilight Princess where I had to seek out hidden insects in order to receive rewards. Discovering them was a much more meaningful part of the game.

That being said, they simply MUST do away with certain characters who only buy certain things on any given night. There is absolutely NO reason that someone shouldn't be able to buy any treasure you wish to sell on any given night. On top of that, let me enter the amount of how many of each item I wish to sell you, rather than offering to buy them in increments of 1, 5, or "All of them."