Author Topic: SP early at Walmart?  (Read 14633 times)

Offline Lyquid

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
SP early at Walmart?
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2003, 11:26:48 AM »
I was quite shocked that Bestbuy would have it in stock.  The Bestbuy in Novi is usually quite slow in stocking new products (i.e. video games).  Ironically, I just happened to be walking around and I saw the boxes on the bottom-shelf of the Gameboy display area.  

In regards to an earlier thread, I mentioned I would submit pictures tonight.  I am at home now, but I forgot to bring the digital camera from work.  I bring the Gameboy SP into work tomorrow, and upload a few pictures.  Trust me, I will show that the proof is in the pudding.

Anyway, I will dispose of any additional comments to the naysayers.  I will say this, I am quite impressed with the new design.  This thing is so darn small and light (no pun intended).  The construction seems solid.  The front-light makes a world of difference. I could finally play Golden Sun in bed, and not disturb my girlfriend.

Well, what are ya waiting for...  If you live near a Bestbuy that has one in stock.  Jump in the car and pick one up.    

Offline Linkwannabe

• View Profile
SP early at Walmart?
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2003, 11:38:22 AM »
Call the stores, the numbers are here.  I have better things to do than start hoaxes on web sites.  

Offline Linkwannabe

• View Profile
SP early at Walmart?
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2003, 11:51:14 AM »
Anyway, you insulted me first.  It can't be true if I'm a "newly registered user".  That apparently makes me a crazed lunatic.  I have no access to a scanner or a digital camera, so just call these stores.  

Walmart(Eau Claire, WI)   715-834-0733 verified
Best Buy(Eau Claire, WI)  715-833-0666  verified
Best Buy(Woodbury, MN)  651-731-1090  verified
Best Buy(Rochester, MN)  507-281-5855   verified
Best Buy(Novi, MI)            248-449-8956  re-verified by me(from swimguy228)

Apparently, Rick doesn't own a phone, so if anyone elso out there doesn't belive, just call.    

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
SP early at Walmart? (Official Early Release Thread)
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2003, 12:06:55 PM »
That doesn't make it an insult.  There's no reason you should expect us to trust you when we're talking about reporting the news.  We'll surely follow up, but having proof helps.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Linkwannabe

• View Profile
SP early at Walmart?
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2003, 12:12:59 PM »
And, I'm sorry, but I left the store numbers a while ago.  You could at least check it out and verify it for people.  

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
SP early at Walmart?
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2003, 12:27:13 PM »
Well, thanks for the numbers.  Made the call.  We'll have a story up soon.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline RickPowers

• IT Director
    Senior Editor
    • View Profile
SP early at Walmart?
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2003, 12:39:31 PM »
One store selling them isn't worth posting news about, so your posting the phone number does us no good.  Bloodworth checked those stores, while I made calls to my contacts at Nintendo as well as several other retail chains.  Once we got several confirmations from stores, as well as Nintendo's admittance that they shipped the units, we posted the story.

Thanks for your help.
:: Rob "Rick Powers" Stevens
:: Senior Editor Emeritus
:: Personal Blog
:: Wii Number: 7294 0910 3012 6153

Offline enigma487

• Scalar, The Destructor!
    • View Profile
SP early at Walmart?
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2003, 12:57:27 PM »
one store having it for sale, even two in one town might not be newsworthy.  but to just dismiss it as rumor without even making the effort to call that one store first??  it would at least have been a start to the story, probably not to be posted immediately, but you just dismissed it as rumor.  i would take that as an insult.

Edit:  upon further consideration...  One or two stores having it is newsworthy!  Is it more newsworthy to say that they are available on the day that everyone thought they would be?  no.  that's not news.  that's telling the same story thats already been told a thousand times.  who cares if they are released the day they were supposed to be.  no shock there.  and a good reporter, someone after the truth, would have made the effort at first post of a phone number last night not waited till nearly 18 hours later to make an effort.  and you left Minnesota out of your post on the main site.  i'm truly saddened and let down by this pathetic attempt at news.  

but i would like to thank bloodworth for making the calls after rick ignored us last night.  

Offline AgapeNS

• View Profile
SP early at Walmart?
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2003, 01:09:06 PM »
The rumors are true.  I picked up my platinum SP today at Best Buy in Evansville Indiana.  They're the only ones in town selling theirs early thus far.  Oddly enough, there only appeared tp be 10 or so on the shelf so they've either sold a ton or there weren't many to begin with.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
SP early at Walmart?
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2003, 01:13:02 PM »
Well, if you would read Rick's post, he was also making calls on his end.  While the individual store confirmations help, we really need the info from sources higher up as well.

We weren't flat out ignoring you, we were doing crowd control in a sense.  Anyone can come in and say they got one and get everyone excited.  We were just telling people to cool off until we had things confirmed.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline MetalHead666

• View Profile
SP early at Walmart?
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2003, 01:17:47 PM »
Looks like I am headed to walmart.
WIND WAKER=MASTERPIECE!!!

Offline Kraid

• View Profile
SP early at Walmart?
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2003, 04:03:28 PM »
I can tell you that the Gamestop stores, at least in my district, were selling the SP tonite but only to those who had pre-ordered (which accounted for our entire shipment anyway). It was a frustrating day. We got the shipment at about 2 pm, later than most of our other stores. At first we were told by our DM that we would not be breaking the street date. Then we got a call later that we could call the pre-order people and tell them they could pick up their SP tomorrow. Then we got another call and were told to just go ahead and let people get them tonite. Talk about organized confusion. In any case, you should have little problem buying an SP tomorrow (unless of course they are already sold out).  Anyway, I got mine.  

Offline Ajguy

• View Profile
SP early at Walmart?
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2003, 05:16:27 PM »
Well, I went to both the Walmart and EBgames in Robinson today (outside Pittsburgh, PA) and got the following. Walmart said they're not available, but the guy kinda infered that they had them. EB told me they are in, but they can't sell them until Sunday. Grr!

And by the way, this is by far the most popular thread I've ever started!

Offline TOY

• View Profile
SP early at Walmart?
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2003, 07:14:31 PM »
I got mine today (thursday) from E.B. in the Christiana Mall, Wilmington Delaware. They said they were releasing them because the local K.B. Toys or Toys R Us (can't remember which one) broke the release date. By the way, I tested the SP with a couple different games, this thing has an awsome picture, blows the Afterburner away.

TOY

Offline Eitan

• View Profile
SP early at Walmart?
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2003, 09:32:34 PM »
This is my first post ever on any Nintendo related forum, so I hope that I will be welcome into your community.  I just thought that I would add another location that was selling the SPs early as well.  I live in the San Francisco bay area of California and my local Babbages (Gamestop) told me that they received a limited shipment yesterday and were given the green light to sell them today.  They had just enough to fulfill preorders, but they will get another shipment very soon.  Glad I could finally make my first post!  

Offline Jollus

• View Profile
SP early at Walmart?
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2003, 10:26:56 PM »
I am in portland oregon.  I can confirm that there are places selling them.  Which places?  Oh wouldn't you like to know!  

I am going out to the store to pick mine up when they open, after I have my GBA SP in hand I will fill you all in.  

Offline Jollus

• View Profile
SP early at Walmart?
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2003, 09:34:16 PM »
I really have to give Nintendo a hand here.  The SP is one tight little unit.  
I grabed mine from the Clackamas Best Buy in Portland Oregon.
Picked up Wario World 4, and Advance Wars.  Two games I have been meaning to get for my Model 1 GBA for a while.

One interesting thing, there where no headphone adapters at Best Buy or Gamestop.  However EB had a third party set of headphones for around $8.  It came with an adapter and a seperate set of ear buds.  So you could get this and use it with any headphones you like.  I forget the brand though.  I didn't bother to pick them up.  I have never really used headphones on my GBA.  Although Wario World does have a great sound track.  Funny thing, when I was at EB looking for cheap games (thats where I got Advace Wars) I  mentioned that I needed new games to play on my new SP.  The clerk freaked and was like "You alread have yours?!"  I pulled it outa my pocket and he's all like "OooOOooo....lemme see lemme see!  I haven't seen one in action yet."  It was really funny and I ended up giving him and a few of the customers a little demo.  I think I may have sold some people on the thing! LoL  

There isn't much else I can say about the SP that hasn't been said.

Offline EL PARRo

• View Profile
SP early at Walmart?
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2003, 09:33:11 AM »
Yesterday evening, I was at Wal*Mart (in Lodi, California) and there it was, sitting on the shelf for $99.77. I asked the guy who works there to get me one from the display case. He scanned it, and the register said to scan the serial code (the one on the back of the unit that is visible through the "window" in the back of the box) and it wouldn't take it. He tryed to scan it three times, and even entered it in by hand, and it still wouldn't take it. He told me that he couldn't sell it to me. I was thinking  "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" He then called someone over to electronics. When she got there a few minutes later, she put her key into the register and entered something into the keyboard. He tried to scan it again, and it finally took it. I thought " Oh, thank God." He told me that I was the first person to buy one. I tell you this so that if you're in the same predicament, be patient.  

Offline shoney

• View Profile
SP early at Walmart?
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2003, 01:34:53 PM »
which gamestop rick? the one at MoA? i got my SP on friday at the funcoland in richfield. i wonder why they have to keep it till sunday at gamestop.