Author Topic: Progressive Scan: A bunch of Questions!  (Read 2457 times)

Offline FreakMachine

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Progressive Scan: A bunch of Questions!
« on: August 21, 2004, 08:09:12 PM »
Hey there, first post from a relatively new GCN owner that is doing his best to catch up. I got my gamecube about a month ago and I've since picked up a pile of games:

1080(in the mail)
Def Jam: Vendetta
Eternal Darkness
Extreme G3
Mario Kart: Double Dash
Mortal Kombat: Dealy Aliiance
Naruto 2 Gekitou Ninja Taisen
Pitfall: The Lost Expidition
Roadkill
Soul Calibur II
SSX3(in the mail)
Super Mario Sunshine
Tony Hawk's Undergound
The Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition
Viewtiful Joe

and I'm damn pleased with what I have so far!  I've been thinking about the whole progressive scan thing and I'm confused about some things.

Are all Gamecube machines Progressive Scan compatible?

I've seen a few VGA Adpater that lets you connect your GCN to a monitor, does this let you take advantage of Progressive Scan, or does it depend on the adapter?

I have been using 'Monster Cables' with my machine, would these let me take adavantage of Progressive Scan via my monitor and one of these 'VGA Adapters'?

How much of a quality increase would be noticeable?

Any and all information will be totall appreciated!

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
RE:Progressive Scan: A bunch of Questions!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 09:35:01 PM »
There are icons on some game boxes that tell you on the back right next to the memory card and controler icons that says progressive scan compatible. About your monster cables it depends if their normal RCA cables or component cable. To activate pro. scan on compatible games you hold B while you see the gamecube boot up screen. If you dont know if your monster cables are pro scan compatible put em in the component cable slots of your TV set and hold B while cube starts up. If you dont have component cables you can order them off of nintendo's online store.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Berto2K

• This could be you, at E3.
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Progressive Scan: A bunch of Questions!
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 10:44:59 PM »
I imported a vga cable from JPN.  It plugs to the dv out port on the cube, and then directly to your monitor with a m/f adapter.  That will allow you to play progressive scan with the compatible games on your computer monitor.  I would ask around though and see if anyone has had experience with you particular monitor model first though.  Some monitors it doesn't work at all, and others (like my old one), it misaligned the ray gun in the tube of the monitor so that the top couple inches of my monitors display was jagged.  It still worked but was annoying.  I;m hesitant to try it with my current monitor now.

The only monster cables I have seen personally for Cube are the ones I am using which only have s-video for the video options.  You cannot run prog scan with this cable.
Pietriots, we roll out to get the lol out.

Offline FreakMachine

• View Profile
RE:Progressive Scan: A bunch of Questions!
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2004, 03:20:47 AM »
My monster cables has 4 connectors. Two audio, one video, and another one that sort of looks like ps/2 socket for a mouse?

I had no idea I risked my monitor. It's brand new(1 month) and I would be gutted if I wrecked it. So, any cable that lets me attach my gamecube to the monitor is good enough for progressive scan? It doesn't have to be a special type of VGA connector?

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2004, 09:25:42 AM »
That other adapter is an S-Video Adapter. A step below progressive scan, but better quality than the normal RCA-jacks.

Oh yes and don't put it in anything that your not 100% sure that it is the right jack. The manger just ahead of me found that out when she pluged a reciept printer's AC cord right into a keyboard jack because they were the same, suffice to say the mother board was sufficantly fried. And the repair man replaced all the reciept printers for free because he didn't want another "incident" like that happening again.

And as for progressive scan you will have to get one that is made to go into the progessive scan port on the back of the Gamecube. (The newer ones don't have this.) And the only place I know of where you can get those is on Nintendo's Store's site.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline RareWare

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2004, 12:37:02 PM »
Also, not all progressive scan games mention that they are progressive scan.  Some you just have to guess.  Someone on this forum had a list of progressive scan video games for the Gamecube a while back, but I have not see it in forever.  A good bit of the games you have are progressive scan compatible.