Author Topic: A Boy and His Blob Are Back  (Read 9948 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: A Boy and His Blob are Back
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2009, 11:28:10 PM »
5 gorgeous gameplay videos.

http://media.wii.ign.com/media/143/14326534/vids_1.html

This game is looking extremely promising.  It's A Boy and His Blob...actually playable this time!
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2009, 11:38:56 PM »
Looks very very good, although I am turned off by how slow it seems to be.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2009, 02:22:38 AM »
The amount of shouting seems kinda annoying but it seems IGN already pointed that out to the devs. I wonder if there's a gameplay function for the hug or if it's just because they found the blob so adorable they wanted to hug him...

Offline TofuFury

• Made you look!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2009, 03:46:13 PM »
Those videos are gorgeous. Wayforward is doing a great job with the game. The shouting is a bit overdone and hopefully will be toned down, so I don't have to turn the volume off while my wife is around.
TheNorthSea/TofuFury

"So, Mike, no skydiving Grandma, huh? Man, they lead you up to something great, and then they just shoot it down. Stupid grandma-leaver-outers" - Tom Servo

Offline D_Average

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2009, 01:13:33 AM »
First review I could find, as I was thinking of buying this next week at the Toys r us but 2 get 1 free sale.  Man, the night level graphics look so stunning.  It looks like the main issue is the controls which is a bummer.  Bad controls can really ruin a game.  I'm still renting worse case senario though, I gotta try this.

http://wii.ign.com/dor/objects/14326534/a-boy-and-his-blob/videos/boyandhisblob_vidrev_100908.html
Don't hate me, hate the money I see, clothes that I buy
Ice that I wear, clothes that I try....

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2009, 05:13:54 AM »
On the upside at least it's only confusing controls, not broken controls.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2009, 08:15:45 AM »
You know, you'd really think after all these years of practice that companies would finally have a handle on how to do 2-frickin'-D platformer controls.  Apparently, between Scribblenauts and Boy & His Blob it's just too difficult for modern gaming companies.  :rolleyes:
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2009, 09:16:51 AM »
The review sounded like there are simply too many different buttons involved, Scribblenauts had problems where the controls tended to do the wrong thing, here it's just that you have to remember how to do things.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2009, 12:12:54 PM »
The review sounded like there are simply too many different buttons involved, Scribblenauts had problems where the controls tended to do the wrong thing, here it's just that you have to remember how to do things.

Very true.  And Matt was probably playing Afrika at the same time, which would make it all the more confusing.  I wonder if he still thinks Afrika is amazing as he said it would be.

Come to think of it, the details in the NMH controls were a bit confusing if you went back to the game after not playing a few weeks, but that certainly didn't spoil the game for me.  But overall, confusing controls are much better than broken.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2009, 02:23:28 PM »
The IGN review of Afrika I read was VERY negative. I was wondering if the reviewer would have liked Endless Ocean.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2009, 10:13:06 PM »
It was Greg Miller from IGN who gave Afrika a 3.5/10.

Offline D_Average

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2009, 11:44:28 PM »
The IGN review of Afrika I read was VERY negative. I was wondering if the reviewer would have liked Endless Ocean.

Haha, just picturing Greg trying to play endless ocean or afrika cracks me up.  I can't believe they let him review it!  Dude is great for many games, and funny on the podcast, but ADD as all hell.  Even if a game like that was great, no way he could get into it.

Offline ThomasO

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
    • deviantART account
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2011, 10:41:13 PM »
Sorry to revive this after two years, but here's a little something that I think no one has noticed--

the entire soundtrack for this game is available for purchase on iTunes. I went and bought it as soon as I discovered it there.