Author Topic: Shenmue MMO coming  (Read 8868 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: Shenmue MMO coming
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2004, 08:36:21 PM »
Shenmue I is so last week.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
RE:Shenmue MMO coming
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2004, 11:41:36 PM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
So Shenmue sucks because you can't take pictures, but the inclusion of such a feature magically makes Shenmue II awesome? Obviously the play mechanics from Shenmue were improved in the sequel, but the game is still the exact same concept and idea. I don't see how you can hate the first game but love the second- that's like hating Soul Calibur but loving Soul Calibur 2.

read the posts

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2004, 11:46:12 PM »
There's one part I don't like or find plausible.  I won't spoil it, but I will say I hate cassette tapes.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2004, 12:51:02 AM »
Shenmue II had better pacing and everything, but the first Shenmue is still a good game.  I found the habour part to be really good and forklift racing was rad!.

Originally posted by: Professional 666
Xiu Ying is HOT, and the Chun-Li fortune-teller chick is SO CUTE.

Shenhua is hotter!  And I should mention Izumi from the Tomato Convenience Store.  And don't forget Fangmei.  She's adorable!

BTW, the Chun-Li fortune-teller chick name is Ailian He.

Originally posted by: S-U-P-E-R
And Lucky Hit is a bit more fun than driving a forklift.

I take it you are kidding (Lucky Hit as a job, not playing that is).

I loved the total hilarious buddy movie feel when Ryo and Ren get chained together and do all the running around and fighting and hilarity. It's awesome.

Hehe.......disc 3 (Kowloon) is awesome.  I especially loved the scene where Yuan got knocked out cold in her apartment! maximum lol

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2004, 12:56:57 AM »

I take it you are kidding (Lucky Hit as a job, not playing that is).

I meant playing it to earn money. As a job, it was pretty worthless, but it was entirely viable to figure out some boards to get lots of money, fast.

Offline 3rdrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2004, 12:59:06 AM »

Originally posted by: Lord_die_seis
I was watching Filter once and the worst game of all time was  Shenmue 1 vs Zelda: wand of gamelon,  and obviously zelda:wand of gamelon won.   Still its kinda sad that people would stoop too low and rate Shenmue 1 as one of the worst games of all time.

I saw that to. I thought they were jokeing when I saw it.
Fuzzy eybrows!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2004, 01:53:19 AM »
Shenhua wouldn't SHUT UP.  Dammit, how much longer till we get to your stupid house?  "Are we there yet?!"

Yeaah.... Fang Mei is cute.... but.... she ran away screaming after "seeing" "Ryo" while waking him up in the morning.  She's still quite a child.

Ryo was just dreaming again.  I don't think Fang Mei wood be quite prepared for grown-up activities.

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2004, 08:40:47 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
Yeaah.... Fang Mei is cute.... but.... she ran away screaming after "seeing" "Ryo" while waking him up in the morning.  She's still quite a child.

She IS 14 years old, you know?
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2004, 10:12:14 AM »
Exactly.

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2004, 10:27:04 AM »
I like Shenmue II more than Shenmue, though that is a given since part II is everything the first one is but better.

The graphics are awesome for its time, and still is today when compared to some of this gen's games.  

The story of a son setting out to avenge the murder of his father might be a bit overused, but the story of a young man seeing his father murdered in front of him is not like something I've ever read before.

I like how Ryo has to interrogate different people to find clues, just like as if he was a detective.  The voice acting might be bad as a whole, but I liked Goro's voice a lot.  Nothing better than a Japanese Elvis to get a few laughs in

The pacing is slow for some people, but it was excellent for me.  If I have to wait for an event to happen, then I'll just go to practice some moves (this is something that is sorely missing from Shenmue II).  If I get tired of that, then I'll just go to the local arcade to play some games.

The best part of the game is the music.  The music is very atmospheric, and very mood setting.  The music complements the story wonderfully.  Even today, I find listening to the music bring back a bit of nostalgia, of the memories of when I used to live in Ryo's world.

Am I making any sense? I dunno.  Time for some more sleep.
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2004, 11:20:09 AM »

read the posts

I did, I was exaggerating to make a point. That point is that Shenmue II is based around the exact same concept that Shenmue was, so I find it hard to believe you can hate the original but love the sequel. To cite another example, that's like hating Age of Empires but loving Age of Empires II.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2004, 11:44:41 AM »
You know there was a whole thread started on hating the original and loving the sequel.  Apparently its possible.  I haven't played Shenmue so I've got nothing else to say.
Kiss the Cynic!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2004, 03:35:55 PM »
Here's my analogy.

Dude tried out this cheeseburger.  It is Version1 of this particular cheeseburger (Royale w/ cheese, haha).  This Royale w/ cheese has 1 beef patty, a nice BBQ sauce, lots of onions, lots of pickles.  Dude doesn't like onions, dude doesn't like pickles.  But dude does really dig the BBQ sauce.  Overall, dude doesn't like this Royale w/ cheese.

Dude tries out Version2.  It has 2 beef patties, onion rings, more BBQ sauce, no onions, no pickles.  Dude LOVES THIS BURGER.  This Royale w/ cheese Version2 is like Shenmue II.  Certain specifics about Version1 just doesn't sit well with dude.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2004, 03:38:43 PM »
That doesn't make any sense at all, but strangely I get what you're saying.

I'm still confused, though. o_O I need to get my friend to give me Shenmue II.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2004, 07:03:55 PM »
i loved the first shenmue- it was one of the only dreamcast games i played through over and over (the other being grandia 2)- the first one was more of an adventure type game where you ask a lot of questions, get answers- but you didnt really fight until the final disk (disk 3)- disk 3 was great- but i liked the game a lot- it was so different to actually play shenmue than a regular game- so that drew me in right away

shenmue 2 is just as great, but for different reasons- they added a few different things so you didnt always have to start out at the same place in the mornings (you could jump with an option, but it takes time off the day), you could wait if you had to (say to meet someone at a diner at 7, you could go to the diner and choose wait and the clock would run up all the way to 7) and because of that the pace of shenmue 2 was quickened. but that does not mean it was a shorter game than shenmue- it had a huge land to explore- i would say roughly 1.5- 2 times as big as shenmue- and the gameplay was just the same, just more of what most people wanted- more free fights, more qte's (which are plentiful)

but on a whole the gameplay is exactly the same- aside from those few changes i highlighted above- so i figure that most people like the on your toes action of the qte's and the free fights than the exploring and questioning- and because shenmue 2 has all of that, it appeals to different people- personally i love both games- and you cant go wrong with either of them in my opinion- i just hope there is a real shenmue 3 to finish the story
i call the big one bitey.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2004, 07:32:00 PM »

i just hope there is a real shenmue 3 to finish the story

They're going to need more than a Shenmue 3 to finish the story. The game has 16 chapters in it- Shenmue was Chapter 1 and Shenmue II was Chapters 3, 4, and 5, I believe (6 could've been in there, too). I'd rather they not cram 10 whole chapters into one game. Although it's doubtful they'll be any new Shenmue games, period.

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2004, 02:20:39 AM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
They're going to need more than a Shenmue 3 to finish the story. The game has 16 chapters in it- Shenmue was Chapter 1 and Shenmue II was Chapters 3, 4, and 5, I believe (6 could've been in there, too). I'd rather they not cram 10 whole chapters into one game. Although it's doubtful they'll be any new Shenmue games, period.

Shenmue II was chapter 3-6 (take each DC disc as a chapter).  Chapter 2 was the boat ride to Hong Kong.

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2004, 09:02:30 AM »
I think Shenmue II is chapters 3-5, with each location being one chapter.  So  Hong Kong is chapter 3, Kowloon is chapter 4, and Guilin is chapter 5.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2004, 09:39:08 PM »
I read that Shenmue is coming to the PC, too. Anyone know details?

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2004, 03:37:43 AM »

Originally posted by: Myxtika1 Azn
I think Shenmue II is chapters 3-5, with each location being one chapter.  So  Hong Kong is chapter 3, Kowloon is chapter 4, and Guilin is chapter 5.

Nope.  Hong Kong is 2 chapters - Aberdeen and Wan Chai; thus making the game 4 chapters in total.  The Shenmue Dojo proves it (warning, the site may contain spoilers).  Scroll down till you see a picture of the chapters written on a white board.  This is from an interview (link from site).

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
I read that Shenmue is coming to the PC, too. Anyone know details?

Huh?  Where you get the rumor?  I can't imagine playing Shenmue with a keyboard. O_o

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2004, 04:18:39 AM »
Okay, unreliable source. First paragraph, second-to-last sentence.

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2004, 05:16:31 AM »
"They're going to need more than a Shenmue 3 to finish the story."

i got this quote from the shenmue dojo-  http://www.planetxbox.com/shenmuedojo/shenmue3_preview.shtml

"The storty is completed. The problem is we have not decided whether or not to move foreward with designing the game yet. If there's a demand for it, we'd love to make it, but it is undecided" ~Yu Suzuki~

Seeing how the story is completed this backs ups his previous statements about finishing the series with a third game. In a Techtv interview he said the series would span with "3 installments" and in the Japanese magazine Dorimaga he said once Shenmue 3 was given the go ahead the rest of the 16 chapters would be included. All this hints at one thing and that is Shenmue 3 could very well conclude the saga of Shenmue."

and this one comes from Dorimaga-

"Dorimaga also asked Sega-AM2's Yu Suzuki whether Shenmue 3 is going to happen. He said that development could begin immediately were Sega to give the project the go-ahead. If it were to happen, the remaining 16 chapters of the game would be included."

of course i agree with you though- i would not want them to cram the last ten chapters in at once in a single game, but if push comes to shove and its the only way to get my shenmue fix, i'll take it
i call the big one bitey.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2004, 12:35:38 PM »
Maybe they're really short chapters.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2004, 12:14:22 AM »
Or they feel like going overkill ("there is no overkill, there's only open fire and time to reload") and that's why the project wasn't okayed?