Author Topic: Shenmue MMO coming  (Read 8869 times)

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Shenmue MMO coming
« on: August 04, 2004, 09:25:46 PM »
According to an article at GameInformer, Sega will be releasing a Shenmue MMO game in 2005 for the PC.  This makes me sad. Why couldn't they have spent the time making a sequel to Shenmue II?  Why, oh why?

Oh well, I would just about jump at any chance to revisit the world of Shenmue.  Xiuying is HOT!!
500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
RE:Shenmue MMO coming
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2004, 10:02:35 PM »
Hey look who reported that article

So, hm, I wonder if they'll use it to advance the storyline in any manner - or hey, if it makes good money, it's a fair incentive to get the rest of the series out.

Offline 3rdrocket

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2004, 10:45:02 PM »
Wow sweet! Didnt see that one coming
Fuzzy eybrows!

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2004, 02:31:12 AM »
Sweet?  It's stupid.  How can a Shenmoo MMO work?  Shenmoo is a very story driven game.  And I don't like the FFX wannabe character seen in the pictures.  Xiuying and Joy look different too.

Originally posted by: S-U-P-E-R
or hey, if it makes good money, it's a fair incentive to get the rest of the series out.

Yeah.  I'm thinking Sega wants to make Shenmoo more well known to the gaming public and if they make some money from it, hopefully, we'll get our Shenmoo III.  But what if the MMO game is story driven and goes beyond Guilin?  That could mean bye bye Shenmoo III

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
RE: Shenmue MMO coming
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2004, 06:39:49 AM »
Shenmue sucks. How could looking for sailors online be any fun?

Offline 3rdrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2004, 09:25:49 AM »
Well to each his own. I thought it was fun on dreamcast. I know it isnt the greatest game ever but I thought it was fun if not just for collecting all the sonic action figures
Fuzzy eybrows!

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004, 11:29:55 AM »

Yay for tired, unoriginal arguments! ^_^ Everybody always brings up the sailor thing, most of the time because they've never played the game themselves and are just repeating what they've heard. Shenmue isn't a game in the sense like Zelda or Mario where you have a defined goal and a set of enemies keeping you from that goal. The point of Shenmue is to explore and immerse yourself in the world- having lived in Japan made that experience much more familiar for me. The appeal of Shenmue is not beating up enemies and fighting huge bosses. It's more akin to a life sim with a loose story than a traditional game, it strikes the same chord. It's not for everyone, no, just like Animal Crossing isn't for everyone (Animal Crossing sucks. How could looking for seashells online be any fun?), but don't bash it so.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2004, 03:49:17 PM »
I  lived in Japan for 6 months, and I  find Shenmue to be meh.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2004, 04:32:50 PM »

I lived in Japan for 6 months, and I find Shenmue to be meh.

I lived in Japan for 3 years and then moved to Kansas- Shenmue was almost like a trip home for me.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2004, 09:52:52 PM »

Originally posted by: StrikerObi

Wow.  I expected more intelligent from a PGC staff.

MC said it all.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2004, 03:32:59 PM »
I loved shenmue...! Allthough it wont work online....it wouldnt be shenmue.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2004, 07:01:09 PM »

Originally posted by: StrikerObi

Jeez whatever happened to intelligent mods? How can you lock threads when you exhibit the same behavior. If you don't like Shenmue that find, but you could at least say why. I despise FF7, a lot of people disagree with me. But whenever the topic comes up and I say I dont like FF7 because of the dumbed down battle system, shoddy story, and lack of character diversity due to materia. You could at least say why you don't like Shenmue.

Darc Requiem

"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2004, 02:07:19 PM »

3v1lh4zuk1: would yuo liek 2 play a gaem of luky hit???!!11
lAnDi1470: stfu noob lol

There are pictures and video floating around, so go get 'em!

Offline Lost101

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2004, 07:38:26 PM »
Ofcourse anyone who dislikes Shenmue is an idiot.

I have finished Shenmue (the first one) for the dreamcast and I honestly think if I had flushed $50 down the toilet it would have been more fun.   It had amazing graphics and it was technically amazing, but I have no idea how this game is fun.  The voice acting is horrible, it wouldnt be so bad if the gameplay didnt revolve around you just going around talking to one person who tells you to talk to another etc etc with a fight thrown in there every so often.  There are so few action sequences and so few fights, I swear priests fight more often than Ryo.  The only enjoyable part of the game was the 50 man fight and the old arcade game.  

The storyline is horrible too, I never got to really know ryo and what he was all about because tapping the X button as quickly as I could cause I talked to the wrong person and they didnt trigger a story event.  Nozomis romance for ryo felt cliche and forced, and all other characters are incredibly forgettable.  And in the end you end up fighting the main bad guys hench guy, and all the questions posed  near the beginning of the game (like the guy ryos father killed and such) go completely unanswered and Ryo goes on a homosexual boat ride.  

I have always asked people why they enjoyed Shenmue so much but I never get a straight answer.  I always hear "Oh you just dont get it" or "its a very deep enthralling game that sucks you into its world" which really means nothing.  

A shenmue MMORPG would be a complete travesty.   MMORPGs already have the curse of making you spend hours upon hours just doing nothing but killing the same monsters again and again so your character can get slightly stronger, how would this improve shenmue.  I guess when your sitting around waiting to meet someone and you have 5 game hours of waiting to do you can atleast talk to the player next to you, misery loves company.

Did y'all know the word g ay is banned on these forums?  Strange, I doesnt neccesarily have to be a negative thing.  Whoever chose these rules must be a homophobe
Animal Crossing Wild World code:

3608  4016  4604

Name: Fausto
Town: Tatooine

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2004, 07:49:42 PM »
let's get sweaty!
i call the big one bitey.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2004, 09:47:28 PM »
I say it regularly: Shenmue I was pretty bad, but Shenmue II is awesome.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2004, 12:15:38 AM »
yeah, what S-U-P-E-R said.

~~~~~

Shenmue I helped Sega realize what NOT TO DO, and therefore Shenmue II was 3.1 discs of teh awesomeness.  Dreamcast awesomeness.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2004, 02:58:56 AM »
Or <20 bux on Hugebox

Well, I suppose it's worth it to play Shenmue I to grasp the story and toys and kittens, even if it is a little disappointing - it's worth it as a setup for Shenmue II, I guess.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2004, 11:55:54 AM »

I have always asked people why they enjoyed Shenmue so much but I never get a straight answer. I always hear "Oh you just dont get it" or "its a very deep enthralling game that sucks you into its world" which really means nothing.

How does it mean nothing? Maybe it means nothing to YOU, but maybe this game isn't for you. Shenmue, quite honestly, offers a very unorthodox gaming experience. It is not based around the traditional challenge-reward system and if you go into the game either expecting or desiring it then of course you're going to come away dissapointed. Shenmue IS a deep enthralling game that sucks you into its world- how does that mean nothing? A game is an experience, and Shenmue creates its experience by drawing you into its finely crafted world and turning you loose. I'm sorry it's not your style of game, but that's no reason to say it sucks. Just because you may not like the game doesn't mean it was poorly made. Like I said, it's in the same vein as Animal Crossing- it's different, it presents a world and asks you to incorporate yourself into it. No, it's no for everyone (obviously), but you have fundamental problems with the entire game design, not surface issues such as bad voice acting (Animal Crossing looks like an N64 game but I still have a blast with it).

Ty: What exactly does Shenmue II offer that Shenmue doesn't? I wasn't aware of it being anything more than the same exact concept expanded upon.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2004, 01:40:10 PM »
Shenmue II lays the action and extras on quite a lot thicker. It's not so boring. And Lucky Hit is a bit more fun than driving a forklift.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2004, 01:56:10 PM »
I'm not sure which box Ty played his game on (Hugebox, hah good one), but I bought the UK/PAL release, which was JPN-dubbed with Engrish subtitles, so I had the fortune of not hearing Sega-of-America-English dialogue.

Obvious things, graphics were noticeably better (texturing, character animations, map size, architecture, # of characters on-screen), music was better with nicer action/mystery-oriented themes given the Hong Kong setting (instead of being flat-out boring or irritating like the Hazuki Household), no English dubbing, no talking to people with your eyes 99% shut as if Ryo fell asleep standing up.

Gameplay/Adventuring.  Story pacing was much MUCH better in my bloated-Kung-Fu-fighting-asian-movie-loving opinion.  Shenmue II's (DC) Disc 1 has more action than all of Shenmue I.  Fights are thankfully more frequent.  Fighting mechanics and controls feel faster and more fluid, more responsive.  Greater variety of character/fighting styles as well (it IS Hong Kong, afterall).  QTE's are more frequent, way more EXCITING, tho the button combos are kinda insane.  Increases the overall coolness factor.  Adventuring/Investigation was streamlined in such a way that I don't remember any searches being so rediculously ambiguous as "looking for sailors."  The pacing tries to make sure you're not stuck in an on-foot search for "too long."  Acquiring cash is easier (thanks to gambling), no silly full-time jobs, and job mechanics are simpler in comparison.  Puzzles are not as obscure as those in Resident Evil(s).  Finding your way around and getting help from townsfolk isn't difficult.  Ryo even has a wonderul "Stalker/Rape mode" view (I'm kidding, yet not.  There is such a lock-on auto-follow mode).

I find the story/events more interesting, characters are more interesting (not "questionable" like Fuku-san was).  Main character interactions are more frequent.  Xiu Ying is HOT, and the Chun-Li fortune-teller chick is SO CUTE.

That's it in a nutshell.  You don't have to believe me.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2004, 03:34:57 PM »
^ Total agreement up there

The differences with the hugebox one are
1- english dubbing (lol)
2- you can take photos (of pretty sunsets or various booty shots) and save them on the HD
3- it's one DVD (comes with an extra DVD of the Shenmue move - basically a collection of the cutscenes)

I loved the total hilarious buddy movie feel when Ryo and Ren get chained together and do all the running around and fighting and hilarity. It's awesome.

And it's still 20 bux tops, new.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2004, 03:42:52 PM »
So Shenmue sucks because you can't take pictures, but the inclusion of such a feature magically makes Shenmue II awesome? Obviously the play mechanics from Shenmue were improved in the sequel, but the game is still the exact same concept and idea. I don't see how you can hate the first game but love the second- that's like hating Soul Calibur but loving Soul Calibur 2.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2004, 04:03:02 PM »
I was watching Filter once and the worst game of all time was  Shenmue 1 vs Zelda: wand of gamelon,  and obviously zelda:wand of gamelon won.   Still its kinda sad that people would stoop too low and rate Shenmue 1 as one of the worst games of all time.  
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Lost101

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2004, 07:48:40 PM »
I understand its not your regular type of game, Ive enjoyed weird and abstract games, hell Ive enjoyed that kind of game more than regular games alot of times (which is why I love Nintendo) but shenmue is not like that.  The world of shenmue is not much of a fantasy world, it seems to mimick reality as much as it can which is quite frankly boring.  Walking to the bus stop and going to work is ok when Im doing it in real life, but in a game I want a little more (hell in real life if I had to wait for the bus Id prolly whip out my Gameboy).  

Take the beginning of the game for example, the first thing you do is go and talk to your family (or whatever the old lady and the guy were, I dont know much about Japanese Dojos or whatever).  Then you go outside and take care of a kitten.  Sorry I never liked gigapets and none of the characters had anything interesting to say.  The game does a somewhat decent job of mimicking reality, too bad it makes it boring.  

Its funny hearing people talk about shenmue and the fun things you get to do in it, collect figurines?  talk to people? the OCCASIONAL fight?  is that it?  Hell if people enjoy collecting figurines and fighting so much they would be blown away my Super Smash Bros Melee
Animal Crossing Wild World code:

3608  4016  4604

Name: Fausto
Town: Tatooine