Author Topic: Pokemon MMORPG  (Read 10832 times)

Offline UNCrules286

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Pokemon MMORPG
« on: February 08, 2003, 03:10:52 PM »
would you buy it. i would but i want to know what you think it should have  it

Offline clearacell

• View Profile
Pokemon MMORPG
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2003, 03:33:52 PM »
I would buy it and I would play the heck out of it. Pokemon is a great game no matter what image it portrays, and a MMO version would own .  

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Pokemon MMORPG
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2003, 04:05:40 PM »
As I've said once before, the day Nintendo announces an on-line Pokemon game, it's the day I buy an internet adaptor.
But I would certainly hope it's not just an on-line trading and battle simulator. I think it would be awesome to have some sort of on-line quest, and an actual Pokemon League competition once every few months you could register for. You could even team up with other players and travel around the Pokemon world with them, picking up the badges you need to register for the League and fighting Team Rocket/Aqua/Magma and other trainers along the way. Not to mention plenty of sidequests you could download. If Nintendo ever got it just right, I think the on-line possibilities for this game would be tremendous.

Offline waddle_dee

• View Profile
Pokemon MMORPG
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2003, 04:29:11 PM »
that would be awesome, but given the fact that Nintendo doesn't seem to be very interested in online gaming, it doesn't seem very likely.
I am beverage.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Pokemon MMORPG
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2003, 05:28:00 PM »
You never know what Nintendo will do now. Since we are required to have R or S with our GC version of Pokemon expect something unexpected.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Choke

• View Profile
Pokemon MMORPG
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2003, 06:22:22 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the release of an MMO game from nintendo before the shipment of their next console. Hopefully it will be a Pokemon based MMORPG but thats probably on the back burner if its going to happen.

Offline Squall

• View Profile
Pokemon MMORPG
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2003, 06:37:22 PM »
I would definitely buy it.  I'd pay a monthly fee too, if they did it right of course.

Just the thought of it gets me really excited.  You could have little quests with up to 4 people or something, little dungeons (cause the way I see it Pokemon really was an RPG with adventure qualities.  It definitely wasn't plot-driven like your standard RPG though) where you and your friends gotta get to the end to find some loot.  Kind've like four swords (well I actually don't know it is, never played it.  But I hear it requires lots of cooperation to get through the dungeons), only without the competition.  Then you could go out in the MMO world and battle people, collect pokemon, trade pokemon, buy items, talk to people (no keyboards hopefully), everything you'd expect.  There'd probably be some 500 pokemon.  It could link up with the GBA so you could upload pokemon and items, use the e-reader too.  And it'd be sweet to have a realtime battle system,with your pokemon moving around, A,B,Y and X being your 4 attacks and R and L doing kinds of evasive manuevers.  Ya, I've thought about it a lot.

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Pokemon MMORPG
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2003, 06:45:38 PM »
I would buy it if it only had 151 pokemon, I liked red/blue/yellow
but after that they all became confusing
hopefully it would have a better battle system then stadium, which alot of the time depended on luck

Offline solidsonic

• View Profile
Pokemon MMORPG
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2003, 08:29:26 PM »
I would buy it.  And I would lose everything important to me because of it!  but seriously, even if it's just:  Pokémon Statium Online, it would still be a helluva lot of fun!

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
Pokemon MMORPG
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2003, 11:16:11 PM »
Heck yeah, I'd buy it. As far as control goes though, they better make sure not to use standard MMORPG control schemes, cause they flat out suck. Someone along the lines of Grand Theft Auto, where it's a third person adventure game view, and you just run around exploring everything. Maybe put in some mini games, like racing around or something (you'd need a vehicle of some kind to get around, I would never want to run around a 3D kanto or johto, and bikes are lame. Gimme those hoverbikes from the pokemon comics.

Offline Cru_Jones83

• View Profile
Pokemon MMORPG
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2003, 12:12:40 AM »
I personally don't think it would work.  The whole basis behind an MMORPG is to find "loot" which has been mentioned in this thread.  I mean, it would be cool to "catch 'em all" but what happens after you catch them all?  You sit around..... and around.... The only way I could see this being plausable is if they really changed the dynamics of Pokemon around... IE having special abilities for each pokemon activated by armor or something that they could wear, etc....

I just don't see this happening... not this generation anyways.
F*CK THE FREEWORLD
~ B. Rabbit

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
Pokemon MMORPG
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2003, 12:42:45 AM »
I bet you can play Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire on GBA online by using the GC-GBA link cable or something like that. And you need a modem adapter or whatever its called.

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
Pokemon MMORPG
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2003, 01:10:02 AM »
all it would take to be sucessfull would be the gb/gba version to be online with interaction with other people, ie trading/battleing etc, the novelty factor would last eons, but knowing nintendo they would add in a bunch of other cool stuff to keep me broke for the rest of my life (if its p2p like everquest)

i wonder if they did make it how they would handle the "unique" pokemon like mew, mewtwo, ledgendary birds/dogs, given theres only ment to be one

they could have pokemon leauges and the winner gets one, how clearly famous would that make that person in the game

one last thought, snorelax better be somewhat plentiful as they are the best ^_^

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
Pokemon MMORPG
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2003, 01:31:13 AM »
The only way to satisfy everybody's needs is to base the game on the cartoon series. I mean, you don't have to be Ash, Misty or Brock, just a style like that. This is some of what I think should be in it:
-You can make meet people on the way collecting Pokemon (just like Ash did), and if they wish to join you, they can (or can't depending on who you think is cool and who's a total loser). Who you choose on your journey also affects the outcome of each situation you come across, eg different personality traits, etc like in Animal Crossing.
-If indeed it IS an online game, your friends may be real life people, and you can travel with them on your journey. Thing is, with all the time differences and stuff, it might be a bit hard.
   -Pokemon Leagues are held once every six months. You must have enough badges (from the offline game) to get in, though. And all the people who DO are entitled to battle it out, Stadium style, for the title and trophie of Pokemon Champion (at least until the next League).
   -I don't want new Pokemon to be added as 'patches' or whatever on the net, cause that would scrap the potential for new GB Pokemon games, and be just too confusing.
-People (NPCs) all over the different lands have special items, bonuses, games, Pokemon, Pokeballs, and mini-quests for you to complete, so you can earn whatever you wished for.
-Police stations are set around the areas so that for example, Team Rocket is up to no good, and you are able to stop their plans, you'll earn a great sum of money as the reward, and of course, a extra special reward from the ever beautiful, super-short skirt wearing Officer Jenny (and her infinite number of look-a-like relatives). As such, Giovanni will put teams on you (James, Jessie and Meowth style). The more you are wanted by Team Rocket, the more stars appear on your 'Team Rocket Hitlist' chart, which indicates the level of importance they place on you to get rid of you quickly.
-Pokemon Centres are in every town and city so you can rejuvinate you Pokemon, get a good nights sleep (Save) or oogle over Nurse Joy's sexy innocence (and her relatives - sorry, got carried away there .
   -Of course, Saving is not only in the Pokemon Center. Making it like that would turn playing the game into a chore. Therefore, you can save anywhere in the game, but even so, going into anyone's house that let's you stay there the night is also another better way to save.
-Battling (the most important aspect of the game) MUST be in real-time, to reflect the action and exhiliration of the cartoon. A microphone should be included so that you can bark orders to your Pokemon on the fly, and they will react/obey accordingly. The microphone can be used online for the same urpose, and to talk to others.
-Your Pokemon will grow and nourish according to the amount of time you spend with it, the amount of battle time you give it, and the amount of rest and relaxation you give it. This will be Tamagochi, and Pokemon Pikachu times infinity.
-Your offline NPC friends will grow closer to you, and as you grow, you may even get girlfriends/boyfriends (Ash and Misty, wink wink).
-Back to the League aspect. New Leagues will be announced via your Pokedex. This opens up new areas of the land for you to explore, battle, and get badges for the next league. Of course, this won't happen until all the current leagues are done, so maybe every year a new area is opened up. This, hopefully, creates a low maintenece online paradise, so that the developers can make other games/levels, etc.

I hope some of these ideas are included in the final product. I will still get this game regardless.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
Pokemon MMORPG
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2003, 01:32:54 AM »
Back to using 'Mario' eh Game_Freak (formally known as Game_Freak333)?

Offline SaMuS

• View Profile
Pokemon MMORPG
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2003, 01:52:15 AM »
I've never played pokémon, but since it's a big name and I own PSO with a broadband adapter, anything new for the Cube online would interest me since I am still playing PSO every week.
SaMuS
Senior Editor
NintendojoFR

Offline GoldShadow

• View Profile
Pokemon MMORPG
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2003, 07:57:55 AM »
Pokemon is just begging to be online.  I agree with everything Squall said.  In the GB games, the entire goal was nothing but becoming the greatest trainer.   You were also but one of many trainers who lived in the world.  The plot is perfect for an MMORPG.  It could be done so naturally.

I also agree with the real-time combat.  The series has been begging for it ever since the show.  I would love to see real-time 3D combat where you actually give your Pokemon orders and see them carry it out.  Maybe they wouldn't always do what you want.  It'd give the game a much better feeling that you are a trainer, not some all-encompassing mind-controller.  It would be cool to see your Pokemon get mad at you when you tell them to self-destruct.  You'd have to earn their respect.  It'd also be nice if the game had some good AI.

"I personally don't think it would work. The whole basis behind an MMORPG is to find "loot" which has been mentioned in this thread. I mean, it would be cool to "catch 'em all" but what happens after you catch them all? You sit around..... and around.... The only way I could see this being plausable is if they really changed the dynamics of Pokemon around... IE having special abilities for each pokemon activated by armor or something that they could wear, etc...."

There are currently 350 Pokemon.  Catching them all would long enough for an MMORPG.  If you've had enough, then quit.  No big deal.  But there could still be more to do.  Championships, rare types of Pokemon (by this I mean rare breeds - slightly different colors or something) and lots of breeding and trading.  I could see myself running a business in that world breeding and selling rare Pokemon.  That'd be fun.  Plus, Pokemon games can be played a number of different ways.  Even if you've caught them all, it's fun to train a new set of Pokemon, with a totally different set of strategies.  There could also be tons and tons of quests to do in the  online world, with updates giving you even more, and an expansion pack with lots of new Pokemon.

If Nintendo released a really good Pokemon Online, it would make tons and tons of money.

Edit:  Ah yes, don't forget some great player v. player combat.  National tournaments, bets, and pride.

Offline 3rdrocket

• View Profile
Pokemon MMORPG
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2003, 08:08:28 AM »
it would be cool if there were classes like on PSO. u could choose to be a trainer a gym leader or a Rocket.
Fuzzy eybrows!

Offline ShanD

• View Profile
Pokemon MMORPG
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2003, 08:35:27 AM »
I agree with everything that Termin8Anakin said, EXCEPT for being able to actually talk orders to your Pokemon. In order for that to happen, Nintendo would have to make a near-perfect voice reconision software, something that has been never done before to my knowladge.
hay guyzz wuts goin on in dis sig

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
Pokemon MMORPG
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2003, 08:57:55 AM »
Nintendo better release this game sometime to get a huge userbase in Japan.
LZ 2005

Offline Zman

• View Profile
Pokemon MMORPG
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2003, 09:18:50 AM »

Originally posted by: Cru_Jones83
I personally don't think it would work.  The whole basis behind an MMORPG is to find "loot" which has been mentioned in this thread.  I mean, it would be cool to "catch 'em all" but what happens after you catch them all?  You sit around..... and around.... The only way I could see this being plausable is if they really changed the dynamics of Pokemon around... IE having special abilities for each pokemon activated by armor or something that they could wear, etc....

I just don't see this happening... not this generation anyways.

You obviously have never played Pokemon, Pokemon is meant for Online capabilities. Catching them all isnt the whole game, there is battling and other things that can be put in such as minigames. Nintendo can add new Pokemon each month, so it gets more difficult to catch them all. Pokemon is the game that is meant for online.

Offline UNCrules286

• View Profile
Pokemon MMORPG
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2003, 03:40:55 PM »
here's what nintendo told me (i also asked them about Nintendo Puzzle Collection)

Hi!

Thanks for offering to share Pokemon MMORPG idea with us.  We certainly appreciate your enthusiasm and support!  

As you can probably guess, we receive tons of fantastic suggestions each month from our fans.  Mainly because of the large volume, we are unable to use or pass along any unsolicited  ideas.  Developing new products requires a large investment of both time and money, and our in-house developers are hard at work on Nintendo original product ideas.

Also, we haven't announced the release of Nintendo Puzzle Collection in the U.S.  Hopefully, this game will be released over here.  I'm a Tetris Attack fan and would love to play it on the Nintendo GameCube.   Keep checking our web site (www.nintendo.com) and future issues of Nintendo Power magazine for the latest information on current and upcoming Nintendo products.

Thanks for your email!
Nintendo of America Inc.
Casey Ludwig

Offline Chris150

• View Profile
Pokemon MMORPG
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2003, 06:42:52 PM »
I have some ideas for a pokemon MMORPG.

First off a headset is a must. You could talk to other players by using a keyboard or headset. Also when you command your pokemon you can yell out orders to them that you make. For example you want your pokemon to use tackle. First you enter the pokemon's stats. Then you select tackle. You'll see a list of stats for the move and a couple of options. One will be command. Here you would select a button or enter your own command you say for the move. So you select the latter and a little recording thing comes up. You say tackle and during battle if you say tackle your pokemon will do so. Of course you could say anything you want for tackle...

Another thing would be letting one of your pokemon follow you around pikachu style. You could show off your latest catch or just give your favorite a little break from the ball.

There should also be a rank system. When you first start out you'll be a nobody but after playing alot and winning tons of battles you'll have a rank that fits your battle records. You can be either feared or a joke. You could also be recognized for all the rare pokemon you catch.

About the one-of-a-kind pokemon like Mewtwo, Legendary birds, etc., They should have contests to earn them. These could be battle tournements or a race through a dungeon to be the first to catch it. I'm sure they'll allow more than one winner. Maybe like 10 or something. But the 1st one-of-a-kind captured will be significantly stronger than the 10th.

About battles... As i mentioned above, they could include spoken comands or you just press a button. Pressing a button would have a little penalty though, to even things out. To challenge a person you walk up to them and press A or something. Then you could talk via headset or keyboard. If you want to battle you could press Y and a prompt would appear confirming this for both players. Then the screen would flash and the battle has started. Your battles would be out in the open, no special battle arena, and you could use the terrain as an advantage. Other players could watch your fight as their passing by. Maybe learn a few tips from more experianced trainers. After the battle is over, the winner would claim half the loser's money and/or the pokemon/item they bet on the battle.

I have a few more ideas for Gym battles... First off, gym leaders would start out with Nintendo people running them. When they get defeated the winner could choose to take over that gym, after getting the badge of course. There would be the customary 8 offical gyms at first, but people can start up their own gyms and if their good enough, could become offical gyms with their very own badge to give out. You could customize the badge as you please (as long as it's appropriete). You could also customize the gym. Have a sort of level creater. You could create the terrain to work well with your favorite pokemon. If yours sorta getting tired of being a gym leader, tough, you have to stick to being one until your defeated. That is if your gyms offical.

Those are some of my ideas. I have a few more but i'll share them another time...
AC Info:
Town: PsiWater
Name: Chris(space before the C)

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
    • View Profile
Pokemon MMORPG
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2003, 01:47:09 AM »

Originally posted by: ShanD
I agree with everything that Termin8Anakin said, EXCEPT for being able to actually talk orders to your Pokemon. In order for that to happen, Nintendo would have to make a near-perfect voice reconision software, something that has been never done before to my knowladge.

Yeah, but you have to realise that keywords are all that are needed for the game/microphone to recognise commands. For example, saying "Pikachu! Dodge that flamethrower the use Thundershock!" would make Pikachu dodge Charizard's Flamethrower and then use Thundershock on him. The game would only recognise the keywords like "Pikachu", "Dodge" and "Thundershock" and carry out what you ordered. You can say "Hey you f**ckwit! Dodge that asshole's flamethrower and use your bloody Thundershock on him quick!", but it would only recognise that "Dodge", and "Thundershock". Now, the game might make use of a more sophisticated command recognition system so it can detect tone and swear words, but that is the basic system I had in mind.

I probably agree that this would only work during battles (since the NPCs haven't reached full AI capabilities yet), but that is what I'm thinking. It WOULD be cool if you could call and order your Pokemon in realtime though wouldn't it? C'mon, you know it sounds cool.

Offline Cru_Jones83

• View Profile
Pokemon MMORPG
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2003, 02:47:08 AM »

You obviously have never played Pokemon, Pokemon is meant for Online capabilities. Catching them all isnt the whole game, there is battling and other things that can be put in such as minigames. Nintendo can add new Pokemon each month, so it gets more difficult to catch them all. Pokemon is the game that is meant for online.

You have obviously never played an MMORPG!

(for the record, I played through and beat the first pokemon)
F*CK THE FREEWORLD
~ B. Rabbit