Author Topic: Need help on the subject of VCD's!  (Read 1457 times)

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Need help on the subject of VCD's!
« on: October 30, 2003, 10:19:55 AM »
      A friend of mine requested me to burn some footage on a CD so that he could watch it on his TV through his DVD player. The footage is on *.avi and is 701MB in size. I burned one 700MB CD with that footage just for test and to see if my friend was pleased with the results, but neither me nor him liked the results. The original resolution of the footage is 640x272 but when using Ahead Nero to burn the footage as VCD it compresses it to about 653MB with a resulution of 5??x2??(can't remember exactly) and the burned CD also had some extra folders with some files in it(don't know what they do) and I think it was compressed into mpeg1(I think).

What I would like to know is if there is a way to burn that footage as it is(without loosing resolution) and still be able to watch it on his TV through his DVD player?

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: Need help on the subject of VCD's!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2003, 01:26:03 PM »
No.

The reason is that the format of a VCD is fixed, and you cannot deviate from that format.  There are some DVD players that will play Divx movies, and that would give you the quality you desire, but a VCD will always look like crap, and there isn't much you can do about that.  Even SVCDs aren't that great.

Anyways, Nero actually made you a VCD, which is a far cry from a CD with a 700MB file burned on it.  That's what the extra files are for, and that's why it was reduced to a 650MB MPEG1.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
RE: Need help on the subject of VCD's!
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2003, 02:28:07 PM »
Well I coudn't find the best solution for my problem but I've come up with other solutions for my friend and I will see if he likes them or not. Thanks anyway Grey Ninja!