Author Topic: Your top 10 movies  (Read 12941 times)

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Your top 10 movies
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2003, 10:16:46 AM »
M. Night Shamaylan or something like that..he lives right down the road here, maybe i'll check his mailbox:}
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2003, 11:22:02 AM »
::SIGNS SPOILERS::

Speaking of M. Night Shyamalan, I didn't like Signs much at all. :/ The movie was good (wasn't scary at all, I don't know what you guys are talking about), but I absolutely loathed the ending. Not only was it way too preachy for me, but the way EVERYTHING came together just to save the kid was cheesy for me and broke the whole mood of the film. I DID love The Sixth Sense, though- incredibly good movie, with a great plot twist, especially if you watch the extra features on the DVD. I have yet to see Unbreakable, but a friend of mine who's opinion I trust very much said he liked it better than The Sixth Sense.

Also, everyone should see Narc, I don't care who you are- just see it!
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2003, 03:22:18 PM »
Well I'm a strong believer in "fate," so that's why I appreciated Signs' ending...As I said, it wasn't a "jump out at you" scary, but more like Eternal Darkness' "psychologically creepy" scary...especially during the birthday party amateur video scene...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2003, 03:26:53 PM »
I'm a firm believer that fate is a bunch of crap, so I guess that's why I didn't like it.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2003, 04:53:17 PM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
::SIGNS SPOILERS::

Speaking of M. Night Shyamalan, I didn't like Signs much at all. :/ The movie was good (wasn't scary at all, I don't know what you guys are talking about), but I absolutely loathed the ending. Not only was it way too preachy for me, but the way EVERYTHING came together just to save the kid was cheesy for me and broke the whole mood of the film. I DID love The Sixth Sense, though- incredibly good movie, with a great plot twist, especially if you watch the extra features on the DVD. I have yet to see Unbreakable, but a friend of mine who's opinion I trust very much said he liked it better than The Sixth Sense.

For once, I am in 100% agreement with you.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2003, 05:13:15 PM »
You didn't see 4 horseman, did you Ninja? And that was my bit of irony for today.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2003, 06:14:36 PM »
Well I'm not surprised that people that don't have a stand on religion wouldn't like Signs...So you have no right to review it

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2003, 06:19:38 PM »
Oh, I have a stand on religion, it's just not a positive one.  

Offline Ms.Pikmin

• Ow, my GOB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2003, 06:49:58 PM »
Uh oh...I sense a religion debate coming

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2003, 06:58:00 PM »

Ssssshhhhhh!!!

Never provoke a sleeping rattler, that's what I say...

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2003, 07:02:10 PM »
Nah, I've pushed religious debates far enough- I'm not looking to get banned.

Regardless, a quick glance at my top 15 list will show you that one of my favorite movies is Dogma, which more or less sums up my opinion on organized religion.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2003, 11:13:51 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill
Well I'm not surprised that people that don't have a stand on religion wouldn't like Signs...So you have no right to review it

I review a movie as a movie watcher, not as a fundamentalist theologist.  If I don't like a movie, it's because the movie just plain sucks, not because it doesn't portray god in an approriate manner.  As it were, I thought that the movie had a BIG letdown for an ending, as it was totally just a religious fanatic's idea of an exciting twist.

Really, they might as well have just ended the movie with the arrival of a giant asteroid that only kills aliens.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Your top 10 movies
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2003, 12:45:52 AM »
signs? blerrrrrrrrrrrgh, that movie was horrible, one of the worst movies i have EVER seen, i could go on for hours about how much it sucks, BUT i probably shouldn't given i was.... completely mashed when i saw it i had NO idea what was going on, but that was the second and last time i was ever stoned, drugs are bad

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2003, 06:15:56 AM »

Originally posted by: Grey Ninja
As it were, I thought that the movie had a BIG letdown for an ending, as it was totally just a religious fanatic's idea of an exciting twist.

Woah, woah, woah...First you say that the theological view doesn't play a part in whether you like a movie or not, and then you say that you didn't like the ending because it was religious...I think it's quite obvious your religious beliefs(or lack thereof) played a role in your dislike of the movie...As I said before, if you aren't of the Christian faith then in no way, shape, or form will you like Signs...

« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2003, 06:42:50 AM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
I'm a firm believer that fate is a bunch of crap, so I guess that's why I didn't like it.

Amen

On anothrt note:  Bill, I didn't like the Idea of Depp playing wonka until I saw Pirates of the Caribbean.  I think he could definitely pull it off.  He has that wierd eccentricity that encompasses the whole Wonka feel,  yet still maintains an acting style and character portrayal much different from wilder which i think will be an excellent twist for a remake.  I'm sure this movie will be great. I know I'll be seeing it on opening day (like 2 years from now, probaly). Then I  remembered it was he who played edward scissor-hands, so now have complete faith in him.  

GO HARRY POTTER!.......excuse me, i don't know where that came from.
it was time for a change.

« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2003, 06:51:09 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill

Originally posted by: Grey Ninja
As it were, I thought that the movie had a BIG letdown for an ending, as it was totally just a religious fanatic's idea of an exciting twist.

Woah, woah, woah...First you say that the theological view doesn't play a part in whether you like a movie or not, and then you say that you didn't like the ending because it was religious...I think it's quite obvious your religious beliefs(or lack thereof) played a role in your dislike of the movie...As I said before, if you aren't of the Christian faith then in no way, shape, or form will you like Signs...

You're wrong.  I'm an atheist and I liked Signs.  I thought the acting was good and it was just clever how everything was tied together in the end.  I didn't like however, how a species that could travel light-years in space crafts had to come onto the ground to take the people from their homes and could breath our atmosphere yet couldn't deal with a little water.  I think shamaylan was more worried about the religious aspect that actually being more realistic when it comes to the science of it.  Other than that it was a good movie.  Especially when compared to something like "Ghost Ship," which was the worst movie I can remember seeing, ever.
it was time for a change.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2003, 07:42:51 AM »
Mouse-clicker-  If your feelings on organized religion are like Dogma, then you realise its both negative and positive.  While he takes a satirical glance at religion, he also shows a deep belief system in each character that is rewarded through out the film.  So, in conclusion, Kevin Smith attempts to answer nothing, just entertain, which is why the movie is so good.  In fact, here is Mr. Smith:

"Predominantly, what I've always done is relationship movies and this is a farce and a fantasy about the relationship with God. But no one can mistake it for any sort of tome or a text. The absurdity of the characters sticks a pin into any potential didacticism. All along, I've thought how seriously can you take a movie that has a rubber poop monster in it?"

"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2003, 07:43:40 AM »
I dont believe in God so I know I dont factor it into my reviews of movies. I am an athiest who like movies, yay for me.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2003, 07:56:03 AM »
Then Marcus, you are an exception  I have a few atheist friends who couldn't stand the movie due to its religious nature...

About the aliens' reaction to water:  Since no substantial physical proof of aliens exists, you can't really base these things on science...

About Depp playing Wonka:  I have no doubt that Depp will play the part true, but I still feel he won't fill Wilder's shoes...He will be great, but not Gene Wilder great  

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2003, 08:07:57 AM »
I am a non-practicing Christian.  I haven't been to church in,like, 2 years.  I'm not sure what I believe in, yet, and I don't think that the existence of any god is fact.  But i'm always open for new ideas, and I like reading about these "miracles" that happen all over the world. (like what recently happened with Mother Teresa) (it's not the best link, but it's the first I found).

The reason I liked Signs so much was because it gave me something to think about, and I liked how everything came together in the end.  I don't pay attention to the fine details or the scientific explanations of things in movies, becuase that's what they are, movies.  And thinking, "Why could they breathe our air but not touch water" will ruin a movie for me.  (and the answer to the question is: because they're aliens in a fiction movie).
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2003, 08:18:32 AM »
Exactly. I am against organized religion but I know that spirituality can make someone a very deep and motivated person. I think that if one is going to believe in any higher being at all, they shouldn't have their life ruled by some church doctrines. What I was mentioning earlier was my strong opposal to organized religion, and it that respect Dogma represents me perfectly. Anyway, I've probably already said too much.

The reason I liked Signs so much was because it gave me something to think about, and I liked how everything came together in the end.

I disagree- it felt like to me the director was telling me what to think rather than letting me figure it out on my own, and as you know, I don't like being told what I should think. I guess different people just get different things out of the movie.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2003, 08:26:46 AM »
I get what you're saying.  And you're right about people getting different things out of a movie.

You're also right sbout Signs telling you what to think.  If you don't like a movie telling you what to think, then you're allowed to think of the movie as rubbish.  Which is apparently what happened.

(Currently listening to "Idioth" by Group X.  Good they're weird.)

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2003, 08:34:34 AM »
I-D-I-D-O-T-H!! Ididoth?

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2003, 08:35:45 AM »

Offline Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2003, 08:58:20 AM »
I just watched "A Beautiful Mind" for the first time, and that movie is brilliant, jumps to my TOP10 list, and I thought it would suck. Damn good movie.