Author Topic: Your top 10 movies  (Read 12937 times)

RE:Your top 10 movies
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2003, 03:31:45 PM »
Hrmmm... at first i didn't even think i could come up with five, but now i have like 20 but i'll only post my 10, so here goes.

1) Hackers-  my favorite movie ever.  I can watch it over and over and never get bored.  Besides, Angelina Jolie is so hot, and she can act.   It also didn't have any cheezy diaglogue normally found in movies that stars teenagers.  It's almost epic.  I  can't believe no else, especially from here, has included this on their list.

2) Riding In Cars With Boys- I know this is a "chick flick" however, Drew Barrymore's character is strikingly similar to my mother, it loosely paradies her life and my own in a way.  It really hit home with me and nearly brought a tear to my eye. (nearly, but didn't).

3) The Craft- Magic mixed with girls who have pms; what more could you ask for?  Seriously though, it's very well acted, but sort of hits that teen drama bull,  thankfully it follows more into the occult.  I also can watch this movie over and over.

4)  Donnie Darko-  Great plot and great acting.  It's very clever too.  Jake Gyllenhal is a great actor and versatile at that.

5) Ever After- Another Barrymore flick. What can I say, I'm a fan of the Drew.  Plus, I love the Middle Ages in Enlgand.  If I could choose any time period to live in it definitely would have been in the Middle Ages in England. Of course I would have air-conditioning, so maybe not.

7) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory-  This movie is great.  One of the first movies i can remeber watching. I wanted to crawl inside my tv and eat all the candy.  I can't wait for the remake with one of my favorite actors, Johnny Depp, and my favorite director, Tim Burton.

8) Girl, Interrupted- Winnona Ryder, Angelina Jolie, and Brittany Murphy all in one film.  This movie was just great... I don't know how to explain it, but it's very intelligent.  The acting was magnificent, of course anything Winnona does is great.

9)The Others-  it moves really slow and for a purported ghost movie, you never really see"ghosts" (or so you think)but the acting is great, and I was especially shocked how well the children in the movie acted.  They were just as good, if not better than some seasoned professionals in the biz.  The plot twist is what put this movie up here. If you haven't seen it i recommend you do before asking someone what the movie was about. It really is a piece of work.

10) GATTACA-  this movie was great.  you have to see it if you haven't.  Uma Thurman rocks my socks.

On a side note, if you haven't seen "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" go see it.  Even though it's a remake, it's very good.  Much better than you're average gore/shocker film, and much better than the first two IMO.  
it was time for a change.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
RE: Your top 10 movies
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2003, 03:41:17 PM »
Another Willy Wonka fan!  *hi fives Marcus*

You are cool.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2003, 03:46:06 PM »
*doesn't really like the idea of Depp playing Wonka*  Sorry, but he just can't fill Gene Wilder's shoes...

I agree it was a very good movie, even though it is sickenly twisted
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2003, 03:54:25 PM »
Nobody can replace Wonka, even a talented actor such as Depp.

Gene Wilder has to be my favorite actor, even though I've only seen two of his movies (Willy Wonka and Young Frankenstein).  My favorite part of Willy Wonka is at the end where Wonka just totally wigs out at the grandpa dude.  Gene is good at flipping out.  That's why he's cool.  *Give Gene a cookie*

Offline Ms.Pikmin

• Ow, my GOB!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2003, 04:00:18 PM »
Bill, I can understand why you would worry about a classic being badly remade.  BUT, since it's Tim Burton directing I'm not worried.  He hasn't done a single film that has disappointed me.  People seriously questioned his choice of making Michael Keaton Batman before the first film was released, but I think those were the best films in the series.  Also, Johnny Depp can be surprisingly flexible in his acting.  If anyone can pull it off, I think Tim Burton can.  I think it will take on even more weirdness than the original in a good way.  I wonder what the Oompa Loompas will be like.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2003, 04:02:56 PM »
The oompa-loompas better not give me nightmares this time around.....

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2003, 04:23:23 PM »
Depp will do a great job.  I enjoy most of his work, and he's very versatile.

I dont like the idea of a 'Texas chainsaw' remake, but maybe i'll see it.  And if you want to talk horrible movies-Freddie got fingered.  Very painful, but since i'm a masochist, i watched the whole thing.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2003, 04:29:29 PM »
Ms. Pikmin - I'm not worried about the movie being bad, I just feel that a lot of the magic will be lost...Wilder was a magical actor, he was

KnowsNothing - You must absolutely see "The Producers."  It's an absolute classic... "Springtime...for Hitler...and Germany!"

Offline robofish

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2003, 04:31:43 PM »
Oooooh... movies.  In no particular order...
1- Star Wars series... the whole thing
2- Equilibrium... fricking awesome!  
3- Gattaca
4- Red Dawn
5- Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
6- Unbreakable
7- Air Force One
8- Mission: Impossible 1 & 2
9- Godzilla vs. Mothra
10- tough choice, this last one is... Totally the Back to the Future series!!

Edit:  I think maybe I should bump Bill and Ted in favor of Blazing Saddles!  How could I forget!?
Avatar courtesy of http://www.darthfergie.com

"I want make change world melody.  Keep on singing, it's my goal in life.  I want make change world melody, don't need anymore string of f***ing lie."  - Mongol 800

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2003, 04:34:56 PM »
Bill and Ted's Excellent adventure?  That movie sucked. :\  People say it was good because it sucked (you know...'hahah!  That's so bad! HAHAH!), but that's not the case.  It just plain sucked.

It was keanu's (sp?) first movie, so he sucked more than usual. :\

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2003, 04:43:50 PM »
Not in this particular order.  I might be missing some :

(Not ten but ohwell)
Terminator 1
Terminator 2
Jaws (Part one only)
The Matrix
Pulp fiction
Rocky series
Indiana jones
Star wars 1, 2 & 3  (technically 4,5 & 6)
Predator  (with arnold)
Me Myself and irene
Ace ventura 1 & 2
Cable Guy
dumb and dumber  (basically all Jim Carey movies)
Scarface
Ocean's eleven
Chucky (Part 1)
Saving Private Ryan
Behing enemy lines
How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2003, 04:48:54 PM »
well i think my favorite movies have all come from quenten tarantino so i will give my list now

basically anything by tarantino (jackie brown, pulp fiction, resivoir dogs, kill bill)
the el mariache trilogy by rodriguez (el mariache, desperado, once upon a time in mexico)
the monty python movies (life of brian, holy grail my two favorites)
boondock saints- just a cool movie- one for everyone to watch
the usual suspects- this move just out and out rocks- you should see it if you have yet to see it
pi- strange movie, but very good
requiem for a dream- very stylish and very well done- usually found in a box set with pi- both movies are good
anything by shyamalan (unbreakable, 6th sense, signs)
gladiator- very good movie
anything by christopher guest (spinal tap, waiting for guffman, best in show, a mighty wind)

there are more movies but i cant think of them off the top of my head right now- but those are some of my favorites
i call the big one bitey.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2003, 04:52:21 PM »
Unbreakable was a pretty good movie, but I watched it in school so it probably lost alot of it's....goodness....

I REALLY want to see the sixth sense.....it was actually the movie we were going to watch in school, but my teacher changed her mind (wonder why....? )

Offline robofish

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2003, 05:07:30 PM »
You've never seen 6th Sense?  Wow.  It's not half bad.
Avatar courtesy of http://www.darthfergie.com

"I want make change world melody.  Keep on singing, it's my goal in life.  I want make change world melody, don't need anymore string of f***ing lie."  - Mongol 800

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2003, 05:34:22 PM »
No I haven't.  And the bad part is, all my friends have, so I'm going to have to rent it and watch it all by my lonesome...

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2003, 05:45:36 PM »
Don't feel so down...I haven't seen it either.  Maybe I can drive up there this weekend and we can watch it together...

Offline Kraven

• One of the goofier Spider-Man villains
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2003, 06:24:16 PM »
My top movies are not in any order
Star Wars 4-6,
The Lion King (best disney movie ever imo)
Boondock Saints (such a great movie that i had never heard of until a coupla weeks ago ),
Dogma,
Mall Rats,
The Matrix,
LoTR:TT,
Meet the Parents,
Rush Hour,
Terminator 2,
Fight Club,
X-Men 2(quite superior to the first),
Spiderman.  
Others I cant think of at the time.  

I have never seen any of the Godfather movies.  Maybe i should see them....

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2003, 06:37:52 PM »

Originally posted by: KnowsNothing It was keanu's (sp?) first movie, so he sucked more than usual. :\
<BR><BR><BR>whahhaahhaha so true<BR>
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 05:38:24 AM by Khushrenada »
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2003, 06:39:03 PM »
I forgot about the sixth sensce, that was an excellent movie.
How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2003, 02:30:08 AM »
add Sling Blade to my list
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2003, 02:38:49 AM »
A Guy Thing and Heartbreakers were funny movies. . . I wasn't so sure that Heartbreakers would be, but it turned out pretty good.
Cowboy Bebop is also good, and I tend to like that Miyazaki dude (correct spelling?). . . anyway, the guy that made Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke. . . My Neighbor Totoro?  Yeah, him.

I have many movies to see. . . best get started.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2003, 04:24:44 AM »
BLOW was great as well, man this topic has me thinking all day long. I will be watching a lot of movies this weekend.
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2003, 06:40:18 AM »
Knowsnothing<  Have your friends told you the ending of the Sixth Sense>>?  If they have , then seeing it will be a downer.  If not, go see it..NOW!!!
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2003, 07:39:04 AM »
"KnowsNothing - You must absolutely see 'The Producers.' It's an absolute classic... 'Springtime...for Hitler...and Germany!'"

Someone else has actually seen that movie?  I loved The Producers.  It's Mel Brooks' best film in my opinion.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2003, 09:37:26 AM »
*pictures Bill's face like his avatar*

WEIRDED OUT!  I have a feeling you'll scare me more than the movie......let's not watch it together.

Nobody has told me the ending of the sixth sense.  I actually know little about it, but it's supposed to be really good, and I really like the director (don't know his name, couldn't spell it if I did).