Author Topic: Your top 10 movies  (Read 12938 times)

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Your top 10 movies
« on: October 23, 2003, 08:30:28 AM »
Since this came up in the 'end of humanity thread', i figure i'd start this one.  These movies should be your favorites, not neccessarily the best made movie.  Its often interesting to see other peoples tastes, and i think what films a person likes reflects a part of that persons personality. Feel free to put movies and their sequals together if you love the whole series.  So here we go:

1. Godfather1&2: Amazing overall movies.  No negatives.
2. The breakfast club: This movie meant a lot to me, personally, and spoke a lot about high school cliques.' Love John Bender!(interesting sidebar:bender started the grunge style-go back and look)
3. Pulp Fiction-Absolutely wicked, with bad characters that are likeable.  Hard to do.  Dialogue is very witty.  I quote this movie all the time.
4. The Shining: The best horror movie ever.  Nicholson should've been nominated for an oscar.  I still watch this movie often.
5. Goodfellas: Just great actors with a great script.  Deniro and Pesci are awesome on screen.  Ray Liotta great as Henry Hill.  I quote this movie on a daily basis.
6. American Psycho:  I dig the dark humor and the comment on 80's excess most people dont see, therefore, they hate it.  But i love it.
7. The cable guy: Again, like American psycho, very dark overtones, and widely despised..  but again, i think it makes interesting commentary on society.
8. High Fidelity: Loved every second of this movie.  I relate to it like no other movie, barring The breakfast club.
9. Clerks: Wonderful dialogue.  I have friends who are like them.  I met Kevin Smith, so he definately goes on the list.
10. Mulholland Drive:  David Lynch at his maddening best.  I still think about this movie, a year later, and try and figure it out. Now thats a good movie.

Just some of my personal favs...judging by my list, i appear a little unstable.  And thats true!  See how the list works?
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
RE: Your top 10 movies
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2003, 08:39:33 AM »
hmmmm, my list changes from time to time, but here goes

Pulp fiction - one of the best movies of all time, I have never seen another movie like it

American Beauty - Kevin spacey is my hero in this film.

Jackie Brown - what a story, I love Sammy L jackson in this.

Kalifornia - you think Brad Pitt is a pretty boy do you?

Rounders - a real sleeper hit

American history X - Edward Norton is simply brilliant

Swingers - so damn funny

Fight Club - I have seen this 10 times and still love it

First blood - a classic, the best action movie ever

Wild Things - the atmosphere of this movie is gold.  

And an honorable mention to  - SPUN
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
RE:Your top 10 movies
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2003, 08:43:16 AM »
Wow, a lot of those films were very near my top 10.  My list changes as well.  But i almost put Swingers, Jackie brown and Wild Things on there as well.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2003, 08:51:37 AM »
1. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
2. The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
3. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
4. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
5. Narc
6. Donnie Darko
7. Mallrats
8. Star Wars: The Return of the Jedi
9. Dogma
10. Fight Club
11. Star Wars: A New Hope
12. Clerks
13. Young Frankenstein
14. Chasing Amy
15. Saving Private Ryan

I know you said top 10, but I can never make a top 10 list- there's always some things I think deserve to be on the list but not at the expense of others, so I generally do top 15 lists. And the list fluctuates, as does yours, but those are the movies that are generally always on.  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2003, 08:55:31 AM »
Yeah, i know, i could probably put 30 that i watch over and over .  I just saw Narc, awesome movie.

Offline nitsu niflheim

• Eye-Candy Andy
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2003, 09:06:38 AM »
Not in any order, just my 10 favorite movies.

Moulin Rouge  Nicole Kidman… really is there any need for further explanation?

The Long Kiss Goodnight  Love the whole teacher/assassin with amnesia thing.

Speed 2 As for a sequel it doesn't work, but as its own movie it is very good.  I'm glad it wasn't just a rehash of the first Speed movie.

The Lion King  Best Disney animated movie in the last 15 years if you ask me, and the last great one too.

Death Becomes Her  Nothing better that two women who can't die trying to kill each other.

Dracula  The Francis Ford Coppola version from the early 1990's.  Very well done and stylish.

Dolores Claiborne  A beautifully done version of the Stephen King novel, Kathy Bates should have won a best actress award for her performance.

Me, Myself, & Irene  I love this movie, each time I watch it, it just seems to get funnier and funnier.

Meet the Parents  Same as above, but the humor is more subtle.  Never gets old.

Sleepy Hollow  Tim Burton is possibly my all time favorite director, and this movie is one of his best, in my opinion.

Currently Reading:  Odd Apocalypse ~ Dean Koontz
Currently Watching:  ?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2003, 09:50:29 AM »
This order can realistically change at any moment but I think most of these have a permanent place near the top of my list.

1. Lord of the Rings Trilogy - I'm making a fair assumption that the third film will be as good as the first two and thus will keep this above number 2.  Great acting, great writing, great characters, great action, great story, great special effects, great EVERYTHING.  Fellowship of the Ring is the most amazing film I've ever seen.

2. ORIGINAL Star Wars Trilogy - None of this prequel bullsh!t for me.  This is the REAL deal.  Do I really have to say anything about why I like these movies?  Just incredibly original, Star Wars is something that was never seen before and never will be regardless of how much George Lucas tries to recreate the magic.  There's a reason that this franchise has such a huge fanbase.

3. Indiana Jones Trilogy - Hey remember when that George Lucas fellow made movies that didn't suck?  The Indy trilogy is just pure movie magic.  They're the sort of films that everyone likes.  They're pure entertainment with simple plots and they don't have to resort to endless explosions or sex to get people interested.  Plus Indiana Jones may be the coolest movie character of all time.  I was very happy to hear that Indy 4 will not use computer effects since such a thing would greatly ruin this type of movie.

4. Ben-Hur - I'm a sucker for classic epics and this is the best one.  It's insanely long but never gets boring.  The chariot scene is just amazing.  I remember a station once played this movie uncut in widescreen and that scene showed me what I had been missing with full screen transfers.

5. Goodfellas - There's something about gangster movies that always attracts my interest.  I think it's the fact that the characters are so different than myself so it's interesting to see the world through the eyes of someone with the completely opposite outlook on life.  This is the best gangster film ever in my opinion.  I really like the Godfather movies as well but I feel they glamorize the characters a little too much.  In this one the characters are a little more evil.  At the beginning you like Robert De Niro's character and by the end not only do you not like him as much but you're scared of him.  Plus all the guys in the end go to jail as I would want to see happen to such people.

6. The Big Labowski - My favourite comedy ever.  The first time I saw this I probably laughed through 90% of the movie.  I just love the characters even though they're all complete losers that I would never want to meet in real life.  The dialogue is great and very quotable... if your audience is cool with the f-word of course.

7. Unforgiven - Gotta love a western but this is much more then your standard Eastwood spagetti.  Along with all the gun slinging is a deep, serious, thought provoking drama where the morality of all the characters is questioned and every kill is significant.  It's a thinking man's western and that's why I love it so much.

8. Terminator 2 - I find that a lot of action movies I loved when I was 14 really don't hold up well today.  Well this is a big exception.  Not only is it a great action movie with tons of, um, action but it also has a cool plot and one of the best villians ever.  The special effects are also amazing despite being over ten years old.  Many of the T-1000 effects look more realistic then anything you see in today's movies.

9. A Fish Called Wanda - Insanely funny.  Full of great quotes and the cast is terrific.  Kevin Kline's performance made me a huge fan of his work and deservingly earned him an Oscar.  See it now if you haven't before.

10. The Gods Must Be Crazy - Where as the other comedies in my list are full of snappy dialogue this one is almost all visual comedy.  A lot of people I meet have never even heard of it yet when I show it to them they become fans.  Who would have thought that a film where one of the main plot lines revolves around terrorism could be so funny?

Offline Ms.Pikmin

• Ow, my GOB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2003, 09:54:55 AM »
Here's 10 not in any particular order.

Spirit of '76
Alien
Ed Wood
The Chocolate War
When Harry Met Sally
Mildred Pierce
Edward Scissorhands
Manhattan Murder Mystery
Godfather 1&2
Bladerunner

Okay, it's more than 10 but oh well.  Is this a weird enough mix of films for you?

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2003, 09:56:47 AM »
I loved every facet of Bladerunner except for one thing- the music. I couldn't STAND the music. It ruined any feeling I had for the scene, and made me enjoy the movie much less. It's an incredible film, with a great story, I just can't work myself around the score.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2003, 10:06:17 AM »
Just because I'm watching it on CN for the 80th time, I think FLCL is one of the coolest 3 hour movies ever.  
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2003, 10:23:55 AM »
The Big Lebowski , oh man I forgot about that, that is a truly funny movie.
I also would like to add JFK to my list under long movies I really liked.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2003, 10:25:37 AM »
I can never pick favorites, but I can put a list of general things.  Breakfast Club is one of my favorite movies ever, Kevin Smith movies are generally good (Mallrats, Dogma, Clerks), Kill Bill was good (need to see Pulp Fiction), Donnie Darko, Who Killer Roger Rabbit, Matrix series is good, as is the Lord of the Rings. . . there are a lot of good movies, but I can hardly think of the ones I like.  Monty Python, too.  Almost forgot em.

I want to be a director/producer/writer someday, so I'm interested in movies. . . there are a lot I need to see still, especially Tarantino and stuff.  Hopefully someday people will be making lists with my movies on them.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2003, 10:30:12 AM »
On a side note the worst movies I have seen recently are Dream Catcher and the MAtrix reloaded, what the hell was with the 8 minute dance video/love scene? This was the worst movie I have ever seen.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2003, 10:43:29 AM »

I loved every facet of Bladerunner except for one thing- the music. I couldn't STAND the music. It ruined any feeling I had for the scene, and made me enjoy the movie much less. It's an incredible film, with a great story, I just can't work myself around the score.

I couldnt agree more.  And Trent Reznor couldnt agree more as well.  He has stated he(Nine inch nails) would like to re-score the movie.  Now that would be great/.

Ian sane:  I agree with what you said about Goodfellas.  Poor Pesci...

Hostile creation:  I am going to film school in January.  Maybe i'll be on all your lists in a few years.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2003, 11:06:37 AM »
If you're as good as I'll be, you will

Dreamcatcher was a good book, but I was really surprised when I heard they were making it into a movie.  Didn't seem the right kind of book for that transition.

Guess I was right.
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2003, 11:14:44 AM »
Wow, this is weird...Just this morning I was thinking of creating a topic just like this one...Stop reading my thoughts!  *huddles in corner*

1) Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - The most perfectly scripted action/adventure movie on the planet...
2) Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark - A few slow parts but overall just as great as Last Crusade...
3) Empire Strikes Back - Why do I like this one the most?  One word: Hoth ^_^
4) Goldeneye - My favorite Bond movie...and I loved it long before the game came out
5) Thomas Crowne Affair - An amazing suspense movie, with a twist...
6) Star Wars - the one that started it all
7) Signs - the one and only movie that has actually scared me in the past 5 years(the Eternal Darkness of movies)...The acting was perfect, the script was perfect, the atmosphere was perfect...Plus, I completely agree with the theological views incorporated in the film...
8) Monty Python & the Holy Grail - It's MP, what can I say? ^_^
9) Independence Day - Jeff Goldblum and Will Smith make a perfect team...
10) Buckaroo Banzai - If anyone has seen this movie, I'll give them a cookie...A lot of famous actors started here, including Peter Weller(Robocop), John Lithgow, Christopher Lloyd, and Jeff Goldblum...A funny, interesting twist on alien invaders and the War of the Worlds "hoax"...  
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2003, 01:00:45 PM »

7) Signs - the one and only movie that has actually scared me in the past 5 years(the Eternal Darkness of movies)...The acting was perfect, the script was perfect, the atmosphere was perfect...Plus, I completely agree with the theological views incorporated in the film...
8) Monty Python & the Holy Grail - It's MP, what can I say? ^_^
9) Independence Day - Jeff Goldblum and Will Smith make a perfect team...
10) Buckaroo Banzai - If anyone has seen this movie, I'll give them a cookie...A lot of famous actors started here, including Peter Weller(Robocop), John Lithgow, Christopher Lloyd, and Jeff Goldblum...A funny, interesting twist on alien invaders and the War of the Worlds "hoax"...

I agree with your comments on Signs, although i have a major problem with the 'Alien' they showed.  I thought they shouldve used the traditional look , with the big black eyes and big head(not E.T.).  They would've been scarier than that thing.  And i saw Buckaroo Banzai when i was a kid, was that released about '85?  I think i used to watch it on HBO all the time.  

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2003, 01:04:58 PM »
there are alot of movies i like...a top 20 list seems more appropriate to me and really there is no order.

1 Army of Darkness - Hail to the king baby!
2 Pulp Fiction
3 Planet of the Apes(the original)..well pretty much the whole series....
4 Donny Darko
5 The Ring(the affect that movie had on me is too much to ignore)
6 The Matrix (the first time i watched it and had no idea what the movie was supposed to be about)
7 Lord of the Rings trilogy(i consider them one long movie)
8 The labyrinth
9 The Lion King  
10 Death Becomes her...that was a great movie....
11 Interview with a Vampire
12 Alladin
13 The Little Mermaid
14 Logan's Run
15 The Godfather part 1
16 Indiana Jones trillogy
17 Rocky
18 Maverick
19 Lightning Jack
20 Wyatt Erp

damn i just keep coming up with more...... perhaps ill make it a top 40 list...or more
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2003, 01:16:44 PM »
1. Lord of the Rings: the Fellowship of the Ring
2. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
3. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
4. Raiders of the lost ark
5. Lion King(For some reason I just love it, and I don't care that it's a cartoon. )
6. Monthy Pyhon and The Holy Grail(The bunny is Awesome! And the Black Knight!)
7. Back to The Future
8. Back to The future 2
9. Back to the Future 3
10. Ace Ventura

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2003, 01:24:06 PM »
*Gives The Omen a cookie*

Yeah, BB was released in 1984...And that's an interesting idea you bring up about the alien, because I can't see how the stereotypical big-eyed alien could be scary...

Thumbs down for the cheaters putting all the Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies as one thing

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2003, 01:25:29 PM »
Death Becomes Her. . . yeah.  Beatlegeuse (or however you spell it) and Edward Scissorhands are also good movies. . . just thinking of vaguely comical, dark, surreal movies.  Any other suggestions would be nice. . . I like that genre. . . if it can be called a genre.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2003, 01:35:03 PM »

Yeah, BB was released in 1984...And that's an interesting idea you bring up about the alien, because I can't see how the stereotypical big-eyed alien could be scary...

I guess it comes down to if you believe in them or not.  I personally do believe thats what they look like, so it scares me more.  Call me crazy.  Plus my phobia with the preying mantis, and now you see the trend ... i guess watching 'Communion' has had an effect on me, though prior i to seeing it i believed.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2003, 01:44:43 PM »
KnowsNothing's favorite movies (in no particular order):

Cowboy BeBop da Movie
Princess Mononoke
The Matrix
LotR: The Fellowship of dat Ring-a-ling
LotR:  Da Dos Towers
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Star Wars 4, 5, 6
WILLY WONKA AND THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY
Signs
Pirates of the Carribean

There's some others, but i really don't watch movies too often.  
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline kennyb27

• President of Nintendo. Seriously!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2003, 02:34:25 PM »

On a side note the worst movies I have seen recently are Dream Catcher and the MAtrix reloaded, what the hell was with the 8 minute dance video/love scene? This was the worst movie I have ever seen.
I couldn't agree with you more on the Matrix Reloaded, the first half of the movie was terrible and I've never seen a fight seen that I just was wishing it would end EXCEPT when Neo was fighting the million or trillion, whatever it was, Agent Smiths.

Well, here's mine, no particular order:

The Lord of the Rings trilogy

Boondock Saints

Enemy at the Gates

A Few Good Men

Gladiator

Scent of a Woman

Finding Nemo

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Ocean's Eleven the remake

I'm sure I forgot multiple movies.  Maybe I'll remember some sometime...
-Kenny

Now Playing: I-Ninja (GC), Pokemon LeafGreen (GBA), Nintendogs (DS), Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GC)
Just Finished: Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker (GC), Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door (GC) Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap (GBA)
Need money for: Advance Wars: Dual St

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2003, 03:08:03 PM »
shout out to Ian Sane for including ben-hur and to thecubedcanuck for his denouncing of the matrix reloaded. my top ten list changes all the time so i will try to get a good over all list. here are 20 that i like:

american beauty
lord of the rings:fellowship
ben:hur
American history X
fight club
star wars:a new hope
gladiator
god father 1
platoon
lawrence of arabia
matrix
boondock saints
my cousin vinny
toy story
signs
pirates of the carribean
xmen 2
training day
scent of a woman
shankshaw redemption

i havent seen a lot of the older movies, but i am trying to do that so i can become more cultured. for those who havent seen movies like lawrence of arabia or ben:hur, i highly recommend it. i also added movies that i really like that...hahahah...arent really good movies...but i find them entertaining. this is in no particular order.  
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2003, 03:31:45 PM »
Hrmmm... at first i didn't even think i could come up with five, but now i have like 20 but i'll only post my 10, so here goes.

1) Hackers-  my favorite movie ever.  I can watch it over and over and never get bored.  Besides, Angelina Jolie is so hot, and she can act.   It also didn't have any cheezy diaglogue normally found in movies that stars teenagers.  It's almost epic.  I  can't believe no else, especially from here, has included this on their list.

2) Riding In Cars With Boys- I know this is a "chick flick" however, Drew Barrymore's character is strikingly similar to my mother, it loosely paradies her life and my own in a way.  It really hit home with me and nearly brought a tear to my eye. (nearly, but didn't).

3) The Craft- Magic mixed with girls who have pms; what more could you ask for?  Seriously though, it's very well acted, but sort of hits that teen drama bull,  thankfully it follows more into the occult.  I also can watch this movie over and over.

4)  Donnie Darko-  Great plot and great acting.  It's very clever too.  Jake Gyllenhal is a great actor and versatile at that.

5) Ever After- Another Barrymore flick. What can I say, I'm a fan of the Drew.  Plus, I love the Middle Ages in Enlgand.  If I could choose any time period to live in it definitely would have been in the Middle Ages in England. Of course I would have air-conditioning, so maybe not.

7) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory-  This movie is great.  One of the first movies i can remeber watching. I wanted to crawl inside my tv and eat all the candy.  I can't wait for the remake with one of my favorite actors, Johnny Depp, and my favorite director, Tim Burton.

8) Girl, Interrupted- Winnona Ryder, Angelina Jolie, and Brittany Murphy all in one film.  This movie was just great... I don't know how to explain it, but it's very intelligent.  The acting was magnificent, of course anything Winnona does is great.

9)The Others-  it moves really slow and for a purported ghost movie, you never really see"ghosts" (or so you think)but the acting is great, and I was especially shocked how well the children in the movie acted.  They were just as good, if not better than some seasoned professionals in the biz.  The plot twist is what put this movie up here. If you haven't seen it i recommend you do before asking someone what the movie was about. It really is a piece of work.

10) GATTACA-  this movie was great.  you have to see it if you haven't.  Uma Thurman rocks my socks.

On a side note, if you haven't seen "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre" go see it.  Even though it's a remake, it's very good.  Much better than you're average gore/shocker film, and much better than the first two IMO.  
it was time for a change.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2003, 03:41:17 PM »
Another Willy Wonka fan!  *hi fives Marcus*

You are cool.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2003, 03:46:06 PM »
*doesn't really like the idea of Depp playing Wonka*  Sorry, but he just can't fill Gene Wilder's shoes...

I agree it was a very good movie, even though it is sickenly twisted

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2003, 03:54:25 PM »
Nobody can replace Wonka, even a talented actor such as Depp.

Gene Wilder has to be my favorite actor, even though I've only seen two of his movies (Willy Wonka and Young Frankenstein).  My favorite part of Willy Wonka is at the end where Wonka just totally wigs out at the grandpa dude.  Gene is good at flipping out.  That's why he's cool.  *Give Gene a cookie*

Offline Ms.Pikmin

• Ow, my GOB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2003, 04:00:18 PM »
Bill, I can understand why you would worry about a classic being badly remade.  BUT, since it's Tim Burton directing I'm not worried.  He hasn't done a single film that has disappointed me.  People seriously questioned his choice of making Michael Keaton Batman before the first film was released, but I think those were the best films in the series.  Also, Johnny Depp can be surprisingly flexible in his acting.  If anyone can pull it off, I think Tim Burton can.  I think it will take on even more weirdness than the original in a good way.  I wonder what the Oompa Loompas will be like.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2003, 04:02:56 PM »
The oompa-loompas better not give me nightmares this time around.....

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2003, 04:23:23 PM »
Depp will do a great job.  I enjoy most of his work, and he's very versatile.

I dont like the idea of a 'Texas chainsaw' remake, but maybe i'll see it.  And if you want to talk horrible movies-Freddie got fingered.  Very painful, but since i'm a masochist, i watched the whole thing.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2003, 04:29:29 PM »
Ms. Pikmin - I'm not worried about the movie being bad, I just feel that a lot of the magic will be lost...Wilder was a magical actor, he was

KnowsNothing - You must absolutely see "The Producers."  It's an absolute classic... "Springtime...for Hitler...and Germany!"

Offline robofish

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2003, 04:31:43 PM »
Oooooh... movies.  In no particular order...
1- Star Wars series... the whole thing
2- Equilibrium... fricking awesome!  
3- Gattaca
4- Red Dawn
5- Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
6- Unbreakable
7- Air Force One
8- Mission: Impossible 1 & 2
9- Godzilla vs. Mothra
10- tough choice, this last one is... Totally the Back to the Future series!!

Edit:  I think maybe I should bump Bill and Ted in favor of Blazing Saddles!  How could I forget!?
Avatar courtesy of http://www.darthfergie.com

"I want make change world melody.  Keep on singing, it's my goal in life.  I want make change world melody, don't need anymore string of f***ing lie."  - Mongol 800

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2003, 04:34:56 PM »
Bill and Ted's Excellent adventure?  That movie sucked. :\  People say it was good because it sucked (you know...'hahah!  That's so bad! HAHAH!), but that's not the case.  It just plain sucked.

It was keanu's (sp?) first movie, so he sucked more than usual. :\

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2003, 04:43:50 PM »
Not in this particular order.  I might be missing some :

(Not ten but ohwell)
Terminator 1
Terminator 2
Jaws (Part one only)
The Matrix
Pulp fiction
Rocky series
Indiana jones
Star wars 1, 2 & 3  (technically 4,5 & 6)
Predator  (with arnold)
Me Myself and irene
Ace ventura 1 & 2
Cable Guy
dumb and dumber  (basically all Jim Carey movies)
Scarface
Ocean's eleven
Chucky (Part 1)
Saving Private Ryan
Behing enemy lines
How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2003, 04:48:54 PM »
well i think my favorite movies have all come from quenten tarantino so i will give my list now

basically anything by tarantino (jackie brown, pulp fiction, resivoir dogs, kill bill)
the el mariache trilogy by rodriguez (el mariache, desperado, once upon a time in mexico)
the monty python movies (life of brian, holy grail my two favorites)
boondock saints- just a cool movie- one for everyone to watch
the usual suspects- this move just out and out rocks- you should see it if you have yet to see it
pi- strange movie, but very good
requiem for a dream- very stylish and very well done- usually found in a box set with pi- both movies are good
anything by shyamalan (unbreakable, 6th sense, signs)
gladiator- very good movie
anything by christopher guest (spinal tap, waiting for guffman, best in show, a mighty wind)

there are more movies but i cant think of them off the top of my head right now- but those are some of my favorites
i call the big one bitey.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2003, 04:52:21 PM »
Unbreakable was a pretty good movie, but I watched it in school so it probably lost alot of it's....goodness....

I REALLY want to see the sixth sense.....it was actually the movie we were going to watch in school, but my teacher changed her mind (wonder why....? )

Offline robofish

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2003, 05:07:30 PM »
You've never seen 6th Sense?  Wow.  It's not half bad.
Avatar courtesy of http://www.darthfergie.com

"I want make change world melody.  Keep on singing, it's my goal in life.  I want make change world melody, don't need anymore string of f***ing lie."  - Mongol 800

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2003, 05:34:22 PM »
No I haven't.  And the bad part is, all my friends have, so I'm going to have to rent it and watch it all by my lonesome...

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2003, 05:45:36 PM »
Don't feel so down...I haven't seen it either.  Maybe I can drive up there this weekend and we can watch it together...

Offline Kraven

• One of the goofier Spider-Man villains
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2003, 06:24:16 PM »
My top movies are not in any order
Star Wars 4-6,
The Lion King (best disney movie ever imo)
Boondock Saints (such a great movie that i had never heard of until a coupla weeks ago ),
Dogma,
Mall Rats,
The Matrix,
LoTR:TT,
Meet the Parents,
Rush Hour,
Terminator 2,
Fight Club,
X-Men 2(quite superior to the first),
Spiderman.  
Others I cant think of at the time.  

I have never seen any of the Godfather movies.  Maybe i should see them....

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2003, 06:37:52 PM »

Originally posted by: KnowsNothing It was keanu's (sp?) first movie, so he sucked more than usual. :\
<BR><BR><BR>whahhaahhaha so true<BR>
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 05:38:24 AM by Khushrenada »
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Jdub03

• Bert Stanton speaking.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2003, 06:39:03 PM »
I forgot about the sixth sensce, that was an excellent movie.
How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg. - Abraham Lincoln

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2003, 02:30:08 AM »
add Sling Blade to my list

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2003, 02:38:49 AM »
A Guy Thing and Heartbreakers were funny movies. . . I wasn't so sure that Heartbreakers would be, but it turned out pretty good.
Cowboy Bebop is also good, and I tend to like that Miyazaki dude (correct spelling?). . . anyway, the guy that made Spirited Away, Princess Mononoke. . . My Neighbor Totoro?  Yeah, him.

I have many movies to see. . . best get started.

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2003, 04:24:44 AM »
BLOW was great as well, man this topic has me thinking all day long. I will be watching a lot of movies this weekend.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2003, 06:40:18 AM »
Knowsnothing<  Have your friends told you the ending of the Sixth Sense>>?  If they have , then seeing it will be a downer.  If not, go see it..NOW!!!

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2003, 07:39:04 AM »
"KnowsNothing - You must absolutely see 'The Producers.' It's an absolute classic... 'Springtime...for Hitler...and Germany!'"

Someone else has actually seen that movie?  I loved The Producers.  It's Mel Brooks' best film in my opinion.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2003, 09:37:26 AM »
*pictures Bill's face like his avatar*

WEIRDED OUT!  I have a feeling you'll scare me more than the movie......let's not watch it together.

Nobody has told me the ending of the sixth sense.  I actually know little about it, but it's supposed to be really good, and I really like the director (don't know his name, couldn't spell it if I did).

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2003, 10:16:46 AM »
M. Night Shamaylan or something like that..he lives right down the road here, maybe i'll check his mailbox:}

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2003, 11:22:02 AM »
::SIGNS SPOILERS::

Speaking of M. Night Shyamalan, I didn't like Signs much at all. :/ The movie was good (wasn't scary at all, I don't know what you guys are talking about), but I absolutely loathed the ending. Not only was it way too preachy for me, but the way EVERYTHING came together just to save the kid was cheesy for me and broke the whole mood of the film. I DID love The Sixth Sense, though- incredibly good movie, with a great plot twist, especially if you watch the extra features on the DVD. I have yet to see Unbreakable, but a friend of mine who's opinion I trust very much said he liked it better than The Sixth Sense.

Also, everyone should see Narc, I don't care who you are- just see it!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2003, 03:22:18 PM »
Well I'm a strong believer in "fate," so that's why I appreciated Signs' ending...As I said, it wasn't a "jump out at you" scary, but more like Eternal Darkness' "psychologically creepy" scary...especially during the birthday party amateur video scene...

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2003, 03:26:53 PM »
I'm a firm believer that fate is a bunch of crap, so I guess that's why I didn't like it.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2003, 04:53:17 PM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
::SIGNS SPOILERS::

Speaking of M. Night Shyamalan, I didn't like Signs much at all. :/ The movie was good (wasn't scary at all, I don't know what you guys are talking about), but I absolutely loathed the ending. Not only was it way too preachy for me, but the way EVERYTHING came together just to save the kid was cheesy for me and broke the whole mood of the film. I DID love The Sixth Sense, though- incredibly good movie, with a great plot twist, especially if you watch the extra features on the DVD. I have yet to see Unbreakable, but a friend of mine who's opinion I trust very much said he liked it better than The Sixth Sense.

For once, I am in 100% agreement with you.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2003, 05:13:15 PM »
You didn't see 4 horseman, did you Ninja? And that was my bit of irony for today.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2003, 06:14:36 PM »
Well I'm not surprised that people that don't have a stand on religion wouldn't like Signs...So you have no right to review it

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2003, 06:19:38 PM »
Oh, I have a stand on religion, it's just not a positive one.  

Offline Ms.Pikmin

• Ow, my GOB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2003, 06:49:58 PM »
Uh oh...I sense a religion debate coming

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 24, 2003, 06:58:00 PM »

Ssssshhhhhh!!!

Never provoke a sleeping rattler, that's what I say...

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2003, 07:02:10 PM »
Nah, I've pushed religious debates far enough- I'm not looking to get banned.

Regardless, a quick glance at my top 15 list will show you that one of my favorite movies is Dogma, which more or less sums up my opinion on organized religion.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2003, 11:13:51 PM »

Originally posted by: Bill
Well I'm not surprised that people that don't have a stand on religion wouldn't like Signs...So you have no right to review it

I review a movie as a movie watcher, not as a fundamentalist theologist.  If I don't like a movie, it's because the movie just plain sucks, not because it doesn't portray god in an approriate manner.  As it were, I thought that the movie had a BIG letdown for an ending, as it was totally just a religious fanatic's idea of an exciting twist.

Really, they might as well have just ended the movie with the arrival of a giant asteroid that only kills aliens.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2003, 12:45:52 AM »
signs? blerrrrrrrrrrrgh, that movie was horrible, one of the worst movies i have EVER seen, i could go on for hours about how much it sucks, BUT i probably shouldn't given i was.... completely mashed when i saw it i had NO idea what was going on, but that was the second and last time i was ever stoned, drugs are bad

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2003, 06:15:56 AM »

Originally posted by: Grey Ninja
As it were, I thought that the movie had a BIG letdown for an ending, as it was totally just a religious fanatic's idea of an exciting twist.

Woah, woah, woah...First you say that the theological view doesn't play a part in whether you like a movie or not, and then you say that you didn't like the ending because it was religious...I think it's quite obvious your religious beliefs(or lack thereof) played a role in your dislike of the movie...As I said before, if you aren't of the Christian faith then in no way, shape, or form will you like Signs...

« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2003, 06:42:50 AM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
I'm a firm believer that fate is a bunch of crap, so I guess that's why I didn't like it.

Amen

On anothrt note:  Bill, I didn't like the Idea of Depp playing wonka until I saw Pirates of the Caribbean.  I think he could definitely pull it off.  He has that wierd eccentricity that encompasses the whole Wonka feel,  yet still maintains an acting style and character portrayal much different from wilder which i think will be an excellent twist for a remake.  I'm sure this movie will be great. I know I'll be seeing it on opening day (like 2 years from now, probaly). Then I  remembered it was he who played edward scissor-hands, so now have complete faith in him.  

GO HARRY POTTER!.......excuse me, i don't know where that came from.

« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2003, 06:51:09 AM »

Originally posted by: Bill

Originally posted by: Grey Ninja
As it were, I thought that the movie had a BIG letdown for an ending, as it was totally just a religious fanatic's idea of an exciting twist.

Woah, woah, woah...First you say that the theological view doesn't play a part in whether you like a movie or not, and then you say that you didn't like the ending because it was religious...I think it's quite obvious your religious beliefs(or lack thereof) played a role in your dislike of the movie...As I said before, if you aren't of the Christian faith then in no way, shape, or form will you like Signs...

You're wrong.  I'm an atheist and I liked Signs.  I thought the acting was good and it was just clever how everything was tied together in the end.  I didn't like however, how a species that could travel light-years in space crafts had to come onto the ground to take the people from their homes and could breath our atmosphere yet couldn't deal with a little water.  I think shamaylan was more worried about the religious aspect that actually being more realistic when it comes to the science of it.  Other than that it was a good movie.  Especially when compared to something like "Ghost Ship," which was the worst movie I can remember seeing, ever.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2003, 07:42:51 AM »
Mouse-clicker-  If your feelings on organized religion are like Dogma, then you realise its both negative and positive.  While he takes a satirical glance at religion, he also shows a deep belief system in each character that is rewarded through out the film.  So, in conclusion, Kevin Smith attempts to answer nothing, just entertain, which is why the movie is so good.  In fact, here is Mr. Smith:

"Predominantly, what I've always done is relationship movies and this is a farce and a fantasy about the relationship with God. But no one can mistake it for any sort of tome or a text. The absurdity of the characters sticks a pin into any potential didacticism. All along, I've thought how seriously can you take a movie that has a rubber poop monster in it?"

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2003, 07:43:40 AM »
I dont believe in God so I know I dont factor it into my reviews of movies. I am an athiest who like movies, yay for me.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2003, 07:56:03 AM »
Then Marcus, you are an exception  I have a few atheist friends who couldn't stand the movie due to its religious nature...

About the aliens' reaction to water:  Since no substantial physical proof of aliens exists, you can't really base these things on science...

About Depp playing Wonka:  I have no doubt that Depp will play the part true, but I still feel he won't fill Wilder's shoes...He will be great, but not Gene Wilder great  

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2003, 08:07:57 AM »
I am a non-practicing Christian.  I haven't been to church in,like, 2 years.  I'm not sure what I believe in, yet, and I don't think that the existence of any god is fact.  But i'm always open for new ideas, and I like reading about these "miracles" that happen all over the world. (like what recently happened with Mother Teresa) (it's not the best link, but it's the first I found).

The reason I liked Signs so much was because it gave me something to think about, and I liked how everything came together in the end.  I don't pay attention to the fine details or the scientific explanations of things in movies, becuase that's what they are, movies.  And thinking, "Why could they breathe our air but not touch water" will ruin a movie for me.  (and the answer to the question is: because they're aliens in a fiction movie).

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2003, 08:18:32 AM »
Exactly. I am against organized religion but I know that spirituality can make someone a very deep and motivated person. I think that if one is going to believe in any higher being at all, they shouldn't have their life ruled by some church doctrines. What I was mentioning earlier was my strong opposal to organized religion, and it that respect Dogma represents me perfectly. Anyway, I've probably already said too much.

The reason I liked Signs so much was because it gave me something to think about, and I liked how everything came together in the end.

I disagree- it felt like to me the director was telling me what to think rather than letting me figure it out on my own, and as you know, I don't like being told what I should think. I guess different people just get different things out of the movie.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2003, 08:26:46 AM »
I get what you're saying.  And you're right about people getting different things out of a movie.

You're also right sbout Signs telling you what to think.  If you don't like a movie telling you what to think, then you're allowed to think of the movie as rubbish.  Which is apparently what happened.

(Currently listening to "Idioth" by Group X.  Good they're weird.)

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2003, 08:34:34 AM »
I-D-I-D-O-T-H!! Ididoth?

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2003, 08:35:45 AM »

Offline Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2003, 08:58:20 AM »
I just watched "A Beautiful Mind" for the first time, and that movie is brilliant, jumps to my TOP10 list, and I thought it would suck. Damn good movie.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 25, 2003, 09:27:51 AM »
I forgot to add  The Shawshank Redemption to my list.  Damn...

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2003, 01:10:03 PM »
You see, you can't make an all inclusive list! I realize now I left off the Indiana Jones movies and The Truman Show.

Offline Ms.Pikmin

• Ow, my GOB!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2003, 02:54:05 PM »
My list has huge gaps too.  Definately should have Indiana Jones 1 and 3.  Death Becomes Her as well.  I remember seeing that film in the theatre and thinking WOW! at the special effects.  Terminator 2 was like that as well.  That should be on my list too.

I agree with those who didn't like the ending of Signs.  However, if you want to see a REALLY bad movie, see Evolution.  Worst film ever.  

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 25, 2003, 05:17:59 PM »
Heh, I guess I am an odd ball, I'm atheist and loved signs.

Top ten movies

1) Pi
2) Armagedon Now
3) Full Metal Jacket
4) Dogma
5) The Lord of The Rings: The Two Towers
6) Sleepless in Seattle
7) Requiem for a Dream
8) We Were Soldiers
9) Silence of the Lambs
10) Signs

Hey, I like Evolution, its stupid as hell, but I still am entertained by it.

Whether or not you like Signs, thats up to you, but even if I don't like the idea of fate, I still think it is a powerful tool for all people to think about.  I mean, the only way you can appreciate a lot of things is if you just let go, and try to understand the directors thoughts.  That was the only way I learned to enjoy Romeo and Juliet, or to like some chick flicks, is because you just have to let your guard down.  If you come into a movie thinking 'it has to go with what I think', 99 out of 100 times you will be let down. It's the same with video games, you play and try not to make the game into something it isn't, you play to play the game and let it identify itself, then decide whether you like it.

There are a lot of cheaply not very well produced movies that are classics.  Pi probablly could have been done much better, but it still shines as a work to me, just because of it's underlying themes.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 25, 2003, 05:21:49 PM »
It's not that I want the movie to go where I think it will go, it's that I want to it to go somewhere that is much less subtle than Signs's painfully obvious message and extremely cheesy execution. The only type of movies I can shut my mind off for are comedies- I'll laugh at almost anything, taste or no. Otherwise, things have to make sense for me, else I'll be jarred out of the mindset the movie had me in, causing me to enjoy it much, much less.