Author Topic: GBA Games Worth It?  (Read 24773 times)

Offline Molobert

• topo de oro
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:GBA Games Worth It? (Official "What game should I get?" Thread)
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2004, 02:25:57 PM »

Originally posted by: ShaolinKilla
question:  I've never played fire emblem, im interested in it and i was wondering is it a traditional rpg or action rpg?  What sets it apart from other games?

It's a strategy RPG, which means there is no exploring like in many RPGs, only battling. I highly recommend FE though.

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
RE: GBA Games Worth It? (Official "What game should I get?" Thread)
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2004, 04:11:29 PM »
I don't want to start a new thread for this, but for all Invader Zim fans out there, the season 2 episode Game Slave 2 was originally going to be called Game Slave Advance. Ninty found out about it and made them stop. (sadness)
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline evil intentions

• winged people + card battling = suck
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2004, 01:41:07 PM »
Are there any really good games some of you might recommend? I don't really have a lot of GBA games.
Quote<BR> Originally posted by: Hostile Creation<BR>
But yea, dead when muted was my intention. . . EVIL INTENTION THAT IS ha ha ha.
<BR><BR>Buy Baten Kaitos..you

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2004, 01:04:12 PM »
I can tell you which ones I have. I'm pleased with all.

Mega Man 0
Super Mario World (I forget which SM Advance it is )
Mario and Luigi (:star: Really good game.)
Tactics Ogre: The Kinght of Lodis
LOZ: A Link to the Past/Four Swords
Sonic Advance

That's all I can remember. If any of them sound interesting, I'll expound on them.
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2004, 09:56:28 PM »
Don't forget Wario Ware Inc. Minigame Mania (or what the heck it is really called )

Insane madness!

Offline cloudstrife111

• doesn't get what's so funny
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 02, 2004, 09:04:22 PM »
ive been looking for a thread like this
the eb in the town has a few gbasp games!!!! i think theyare 2nd haND BUT I DONT CARE THEY ARE HOTWHEELS RACIG AND RAMPAGE WITCH ONE IS BETTER/

thnx
-- i have new games fot gam,ecube they are gta4 and the amazing isl;and

ihave soem games for my ningc there are burnout the sonic 2 mario dark rain gran tusrismo (i love the cars in this!!!!!0 and gta 3 : i am looking ford to burn

Offline CaseyRyback

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2004, 06:01:24 PM »
anyone played CT Special Forces and if so is it worth 12 bucks. If it is not I will pass and continue to get me some more Saturn games

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2004, 10:14:29 PM »
Hey i was curious about Fire Emblem.  Ive played Advance Wars alot and i loved Golden Sun and im really starting to get into more and more Rpgs.  So in turn i was wondering is Fire Emblem a good game for me to get?

Ive heard the game is alot like Advance Wars.  How and how is it not like AW?  How is it better or worse than AW?

Offline akdaman1

• the forum idiot
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2004, 01:03:17 AM »
Yes Ive played them both and I must say that I found Fire Emblem to be the better of the 2.

It is a really hard game and is better than AW because all your charecters are different. BUY IT.

Now my querie. Should I buy Mario and Luigi? I want it but if I were to buy it then it would be over Prime. ShoulD I get it.
"We ride together, We die together, Bad boys 4 life....

NOW CAN YOU DIG DAT SUCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKAAAA

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2004, 04:49:26 AM »
yes. you should. twice perhaps
OUT OF DATE.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2004, 06:45:30 AM »
M&L is my favorite RPG ever(even Tales will have trouble equaling to it, imo)...So yeah...  
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline TKLasagnaReturns

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2004, 07:37:51 AM »
Most GBA games are garbage, the drawback to making games so easy to design on a system. Its so easy for third party companies to slap together crap games that I don't often throw away 30 bucks on poo.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2004, 08:35:00 AM »
Let's extend that: Most games are garbage. The GBA's crap ratio isn't that much higher than that of the other systems, but of course it gets a lot of movie games, which are pretty easy to avoid.

Offline WallOfDoom

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 03, 2004, 01:37:19 PM »
I agree. There just aren't enough GBA games worth spending money on.  I think its
Crap 50%
Quality Nintendo Releases 20%
Nintendo Remakes,Rehashes 20%
Quality third party releases 5%
Accessories 5%
Auto-reply to anything Bill says: Don't get so tense over nothing.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2004, 05:15:51 AM »
25% good games? Are you nuts? Most systems have 10%, at most!

Offline Gremio

• Pikmin Spores of Agony
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2004, 10:13:56 PM »
I was wondering.. does anyone have Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon and also played the SEGA Genesis Shining Force? I really liked the SEGA Genesis Shining Force games and I'd love to have a GBA game to take on the go but what I'm trying to find out is if the game is on par with the original Shining Force (the one it was remade from) or if it's been butchered, toned down and/or changed in a way to make the game not worth it to a fan of the original.  I know the artwork is different and I've read some about a few new characters and a "card" battle system... but otherwise I've no idea how it compares to the original.

I've read a few reviews but they mostly seem to not compare the game to the original or compare it to other more popular Strategy RPGs (i.e. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance). I don't care if the game doesn't have a whole bunch of new features added to make it on par with modern day SRPGs, I just want to know if it retains the same spirit of the original Shining Force.

Offline Burning Excalibur

• PGC Forum Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2004, 03:17:45 PM »

Originally posted by: akdaman1
Yes Ive played them both and I must say that I found Fire Emblem to be the better of the 2.

It is a really hard game and is better than AW because all your charecters are different. BUY IT.

Now my querie. Should I buy Mario and Luigi? I want it but if I were to buy it then it would be over Prime. ShoulD I get it.

Fire Emblem: I'm still playing it. It never gets old. You actually grow attached to some characters, like Rebecca, for instance. Oh, and Oswin.

AW2: I'm still playing it. It never gets old. You have no attachment to the units. You send them forth to be destroyed, just to build another one next turn.

Mario & Luigi: I'm still playing it. It never gets old. I like Luigi best. Heh heh.

All three are top quality games. You can't go wrong. Save up 90 bucks and get them all the same day. Your nourished soul will kiss you.

"Your numbers mean nothing. Nothing can stop me!"                                                   --Kanbei, Yellow Comet Emperor.

Offline evil intentions

• winged people + card battling = suck
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2004, 11:42:28 AM »
Do any of your games ever get old to you?
Quote<BR> Originally posted by: Hostile Creation<BR>
But yea, dead when muted was my intention. . . EVIL INTENTION THAT IS ha ha ha.
<BR><BR>Buy Baten Kaitos..you

Offline Gremio

• Pikmin Spores of Agony
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 06, 2004, 02:04:41 AM »

Originally posted by: Gremio
I was wondering.. does anyone have Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon and also played the SEGA Genesis Shining Force? I really liked the SEGA Genesis Shining Force games and I'd love to have a GBA game to take on the go but what I'm trying to find out is if the game is on par with the original Shining Force (the one it was remade from) or if it's been butchered, toned down and/or changed in a way to make the game not worth it to a fan of the original.  I know the artwork is different and I've read some about a few new characters and a "card" battle system... but otherwise I've no idea how it compares to the original.

I've read a few reviews but they mostly seem to not compare the game to the original or compare it to other more popular Strategy RPGs (i.e. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance). I don't care if the game doesn't have a whole bunch of new features added to make it on par with modern day SRPGs, I just want to know if it retains the same spirit of the original Shining Force.

Well, I went ahead and got the game anyway so I mind as well answer my own question here. So far everything seems good to the original - music is a bit remixed but the game pretty much plays the same with enhancements being neutral or positive for the most part. I haven't figured out how to use the character cards yet but whatever their use is, it doesn't seem to affect the regular battle system.

Offline CHEN

• These peas taste AWESOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 29, 2004, 03:17:18 AM »
I have no trouble at all picking the good ones from the crap ones. Hey, it's your own fault if you happen to buy Mortal Kombat Advance.

That being said, FIRE EMBLEM

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 29, 2004, 07:26:46 PM »
sega's hitmaker and treasure's astro boy for gba is one of the best games on the system period
i call the big one bitey.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2004, 02:29:15 PM »
While contemplating picking up FFoS, I came to realize that I completely skipped over Golden Sun and its sequel.    Are these games (I'm especially wary of the first one as it's a first gen game) worth picking up today, or have better RPG's come out since?  And if i skip straight into the second one, will I be at a disadvantage because of the transfer feature?

I've already beat M&L:SS, Advance Wars (I skipped the second one), FFTA and Fire Emblem.  I'm looking for more of a traditional RPG as opposed to a strategy game.  Any suggestions?  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 01, 2004, 03:45:58 AM »
Golden Sun is one of the few turn-based RPGs I actually enjoy...The Djinn system is rather cool, and the story is the best I've ever personally seen in a videogame...So don't skip the first game or you'll be missing out...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 01, 2004, 05:37:53 AM »
If you get GS 1 and 2 for the price of one game, get it, any more and it's not worth it. The two games are in fact one game split in half. I'd go as far as saying they should release a game that consists of GS 1 and 2 merged into one game (with a seamless transition). Of course, the game is nice while it lasts but it ends about 20 hours too early (half way through).
Me? I'm boycotting The Lost Age because I feel that GS1 was a ripoff and I shouldn't encourage this behaviour in any way.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 06, 2004, 01:51:15 PM »
First off, I'm a complete Pokemon virgin.  I've never played a single game, and my knowledge is limited to once you start playing, you feel the inexplicable need to "catch 'em all".  That being said, I need to get my eight year old cousin something for Christmas.  I know he has a Gameboy Color, but he doesn't have a GBA, nor do his parents plan on buying him one for Christmas.  I know he's into Yu-Gi-Oh (or at least he used to be) and I think he used to play the game (rather than just collect the cards) so I believe he has at least some knowledge of a card battle system

First off, I know the series is meant for younger players, but is it simple enough for the mind of an eight year old to grasp?  Second, which would be the best to start off with--Gold, Silver, or Crystal?  If I remember correctly, Crystal is a combination of Gold and Silver, but I'm not sure if it has a harsher learning curve.

Thanks for any and all help.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!