Author Topic: Resident Evil 4...Going to the next level?  (Read 11262 times)

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Resident Evil 4...Going to the next level?
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2003, 02:11:10 PM »
Well, I really liked the first.  The story was intelligent, coherent, and somewhat plausible.  The gameplay was fresh, new, and interesting.  The game was fun as hell.  It was way too short was my only gripe with it to be perfectly honest.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2003, 03:48:13 PM »
IMO, it's a bit fair to compare the two to each other.  They both are of the same genre: survival-horror.  While Silent Hill may be ridiculously easy, it induces the mood of survival through its mood and atmosphere.  RE induces that mood through its difficulty.  
I got some killaz on my payroll.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2003, 06:28:22 PM »
Yeah, but the focus and the atmosphere of the games are COMPLETELY different.

It goes without saying that Silent Hill was Konami's ripoff of Resident Evil, but I am not so sure it turned out like that, or that the two should be compared.  It's like comparing apples and oranges... they are both fruit, but they can't really be compared.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2003, 06:52:05 PM »
Silent Hill is a mediocre rip-off of Resident Evil. Resident Evil outdoes it in every category.  

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2003, 07:01:53 PM »
*ahem*  I think not.  How much of Silent Hill have you played?

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 15, 2003, 07:04:44 PM »
Hehe, i was waiting for you to respond

Well, not much actually, only played it for a brief hour. But Resident Evil still outdoes it in every category. What makes Silent Hill better?

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 15, 2003, 07:08:46 PM »
Silent Hill's plot is much more intellectual.  Resident Evil is nice for some good mindless zombie killing action, but Silent Hill can produce some MUCH more powerful imagery.  The endings are seriously where it all comes together, and you are made to realize just how twisted the games really are.

Silent Hill actually feels a lot more like Eternal Darkness in terms of storyline.  It takes a while to get into it, and it goes right over a lot of gamer's heads.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2003, 07:23:27 PM »
Well i guess it went straight over my head then

Resident Evil's plot is actually very deep and intellectual if you know what to look for. The documents you pick up through the games provide background information on various characters and events, and the way some things link together is just brilliant. The cut-scenes also are well done, and have above average voice acting. RE also has more puzzles than just mindless zombie shooting too. Its also a lot more scary IMO. Bah, RE is just better!

It should be interesting to see what RE4 adds to the RE plot.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 15, 2003, 07:27:54 PM »
I understand both games.  Believe me, it's not like I am not a fan of Resident Evil.    I am just saying that Silent Hill takes it MUCH further than Resident Evil.

Remember Lisa in Resident Evil?  Silent Hill has many such characters.  In fact, the story is built around such characters.  You read about Lisa's past in the documents, but you never actually saw how it happened to her, or how she felt going through it.  Now imagine if you had met Lisa when she was normal, and you saw her go through the whole change.

That's the essential difference between Silent Hill and Resident Evil.  Resident Evil lets you know that some bad stuff happened in the past.  Silent Hill shows you that stuff, and all kinds of stuff that you NEVER want to see again.  That's what makes the game great.  Given that you have not played much of Silent Hill, it's hard for me to make a good example without spoiling the game, but for God's sakes... trust me on this.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 15, 2003, 07:30:38 PM »
Ok i guess i'll go play Silent Hill fully then

Offline StRaNgE

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 15, 2003, 10:56:59 PM »
i am playing SH2 right now and  it definatly takes awhile to get going.
i must have just run through nothing  forever before anything interesting happened, i assume it will get more  interesting soon.

the story so far seems to have potential.

before RE remake i  only like the concept of RE, after  i replayed it on the cube i fell in love!!!!!

it's like an all new game.

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 16, 2003, 10:51:13 AM »

Originally posted by: Grey Ninja
Yeah, but the focus and the atmosphere of the games are COMPLETELY different.

It goes without saying that Silent Hill was Konami's ripoff of Resident Evil, but I am not so sure it turned out like that, or that the two should be compared.  It's like comparing apples and oranges... they are both fruit, but they can't really be compared.

I guess so.  One thing I noticed though is that Silent Hill goes off into the superstitious end of things and Resident Evil tries to be more realistic.  I think that's where they ultimately differ.  

« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2003, 09:19:10 PM »
You guys mentioned that Silent Hill was easy. My cousins, on the other hand, thought it was insanely hard (SH 1). I'm confused. And trust me, my cousins are hard-core strategy gamers. They don't suck.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 18, 2003, 12:04:09 AM »
Silent Hill 1 was a fair bit harder than #2.  But the enemies were still insanely stupid.  The only really difficult enemies in the game were the flying beasties, and that's only because it took a lot of practice to figure out how to hit them.

The thing is that in Silent Hill, the melee weapons are much more versatile and powerful than the handguns.  So you never really need or run out of ammo.  The enemies are slow and predictable, meaning it is easy to avoid them or kill them at your leisure.

« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2003, 04:57:39 PM »
I think they were referring to the puzzles in the game, not the zombies.

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 18, 2003, 05:51:30 PM »
Oh.  Yeah, the puzzles in Silent Hill can be insanely hard.  Mainly because many of them don't make logical sense.    There's a couple of puzzles in which the solution must be found by guess and check, and to me, that's just horrid game design.

« Reply #66 on: June 21, 2003, 07:31:42 AM »
Yeah, I think my friends mentioned one where they had to match the keystrokes of a piano or some instrument, and the pitch had to be exact. I think they went out to buy headphones and maxed out the sound just to hear it perfectly, haha.

Thanks for clearifying.

Offline Fish

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 21, 2003, 08:50:12 AM »
What i would want in RE 4 is that when Zombie falls, and in previous ones it always rices again(unless you blew its head away) so it would be nice when the zombi is lying in floor you could use your other hand to hold its face in the ground and other hand to shoot or stab it to dead with out the risk of been bitten. And then you could start kickin it in the balls and rib its limbs away and EAT IT!... okay i got little bit carried away, ignore everything after the stabbing the downed zombie.

And it would be funny to have some humorous relief, like a Zombie named Casper with yellow baseball cap and teddybear in its hands and it would follow you all the time and if you blow it when you think you got rid of it there it is!

What? Well i get scared easily......

Offline Ninja X

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2003, 09:31:43 AM »
I still remember the zodiac puzzle in Silent Hill 1.  Classic puzzle.  Too bad it just didn't fit into the hospital environment quite well.  But then again, it's Silent Hill...

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2003, 03:23:29 PM »

Originally posted by: Nintendo Gamecube
Yeah, I think my friends mentioned one where they had to match the keystrokes of a piano or some instrument, and the pitch had to be exact. I think they went out to buy headphones and maxed out the sound just to hear it perfectly, haha.

Thanks for clearifying.

I think I remember something about that one.  I am pretty sure that there was an easier way of doing that, but I can't remember for sure now.  It's ringing a bell, but I can't really think of the puzzle now, or where I saw it...  I have next to no musical ability, so if I could do it, anyone could.

I do remember one puzzle that featured a piano with several broken keys, and a poem on the wall.    That one was in the first Silent Hill, and it was where quite a few people I know just gave up on the game because they couldn't solve it.  I thought it was a pretty easy puzzle, but it did get a lot of people stuck.

As for the Zodiac puzzle... that one took me like 3 days to solve.  I think that was one of the most difficult ones in Silent Hill.    It DID make logical sense though, even though it was out of place.