Author Topic: si  (Read 1979 times)

Offline nathan

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
si
« on: June 21, 2003, 11:01:15 AM »
what all would you like to see in the next Nintendo console?  

I want some way of turning it on/off without walking over to the console and hitting the button.  I mean, I can sit on the couch and turn the TV and dvd/surround sound on and off, but I still have to walk that 8 feet just to turn off my GC; just doesn't make sense.  
it'd also be cool if EVERY first party controller was like a wavebird (wireless), and if the transmitter was already built in the console, so you would only have to buy the controller itself.  this would reduce 3rd party crap.  but on the otherhand, it may piss some 3rd party developers off because they cant rip people off with their crummy controllers.  
thirdly, Id like to see the return of the mini-discs.  it really pisses me off when a ps2 or xbox game has easy, quick navigable menus so you can just fly through it, but you have to wait 3 minutes before you can actually play the game.  
last of all, I want (this has nothing to do with the console) Nintendo to not come out letting sony and microsoft run all over them, letting them say that the Nintendo console is "just for kids."  if Nintendo would've released some propaganda--if you will--about how it is not a kiddy console, most people wouldn't think what sony and ms say about it.  but instead, Nintendo leaned back in their laz-i-boys and took it like a bitch.

anyways, what do you want to see in the next Big N console?    
Im Nathan1981 on TGN

Offline DRJ

• View Profile
the next next-gen console
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2003, 11:25:00 AM »
I dont think they need to make a remote for turning it on and off, but standard wireless controllers would be nice. I would also like to see the controllers be able to use the GBA-SP screen. Instead of having to use the GBA-SP as a controller, it could slide into the back of the regular controller, and the screen could stick out on top see you could see more info.

I think that it either has to have 1) a hard drive for saving games, 2) 4 ports on the GC2 for memory cards, or 3) memory card expansion slot in the controller. This way if you are playing a four player game each player can have their own settings, custome characters etc.

Mini disks are fine, so long as they can hold the games. I dont want to have to swap disks to play a game just 'cause the disks are small. If I dont have to swap disks then they could use square disks for all a would care.

Backwards compatability with all GCN games and accessories is a must.

Something else that would be nice is to have dual audio/video output. That way you could play multiplayer games on multiple tvs instead of using a split screen.

At launch the GC2 needs to have several first party titles (Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Metroid) to name a few.

Another thing I would like, Nintendo could start doing this now to really make me happy, is to release demo disks each month. Release them with Nintendo Power, or some other magazine. Put one playable demo, one or two movies, some commercials etc on each disk.

The most important thing is that they must release before or very close to when Microsoft and Sony release. They cant wait a year or longer to try to catch up.
Ralph: Hi, Principal Skinner! Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2003, 11:29:41 AM »
Personally I can't wait until console technology can produce a game based on the MASSIVE software used in the Lord of the Rings movies to simulate battles. What it does is generate thousands upon thousands of individual soldiers who can identify between ally and enemy- different types of soldiers even have different types of fighting styles. On top of all that, you can select any solider and see the battle through his eyes. Think of how realistic RTS games could be.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: the next next-gen console
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2003, 01:00:12 PM »
I've never really gotten to test out the wireless controlers but I still havent been too excited about it.  I'm guessin you need batteries for it and just thinkin of me runnin out of batteries one day and havein none around the house and no stores open at the time and whatnot, not bein able to play ma game.  Or the control diein out right in the middle of a battle or somethin.  

Offline nathan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2003, 01:07:40 PM »
DRJ, I agree about the memory card slots.  however, I think that the best idea would be to put the slots in the controllers, like you said.  I heard somewhere that Nintendo will use the same controller design from here out, so that doesnt look like it will happen.  a hard drive would be nice, just as long as they name it something else (i.e. internal memory) so it doesnt look like a xbox knock-off.  it seems that I read on ign (or some other website) that it wont feature backwards compatibility. . . it would be very nice though.  back to the memory cards, VMU (like the dreamcast) like cards would be great:  and that would be like an in-game extra info screen, like you said about the SP screen.  double audio/vid output would be cool, too, but just how would the console distuingish which character(s) go to which screen?  next to what you said about the release date, the next important thing is to make sure every person inside the gaming world knows about it, and atleast create SOME hype about it.  lots of release titles would be great, also.

Mouse, I agree
Im Nathan1981 on TGN

Offline DRJ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2003, 02:40:29 PM »
As for the multiple video output, just think how the GCN or other consoles can set part of the screen to one player and another part the other players (Split screen, 4-way split etc.) instead of splitting it could be like player one = output one to this tv and player 2 = output 2 to another tv.

I dont really know why it wouldnt be backwards compatable. The hardware will not change much. What else can you really add to make the games better. They are so good now, and I dont know many/any games that fully use everything that the gamecube and xbox could potentially do.

Backwards compatability also will generate them more money. Look at how many PS1 are still selling. They could keep selling GCN long after they release GC2 for like $50-100. Some companies would still make games for GCN and they could sell to people that own both systems since it would play on both.

Also something else that nintendo should do is offer a free game right when they release GC2. Imagine if they said buy a GC2 for $150-200 and get a free game (Metroid Prime 3, Poklemon RPG, Zelda, or Mario).

I doubt that they will do this, but it would help them jump on sony fast and then they would just have to keep the momentum going.
Ralph: Hi, Principal Skinner! Hi, Super Nintendo Chalmers!

Offline Joshtheleo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2003, 03:12:11 PM »
I dont see Nintendo giveing away brand new games with a brand new console.  Its just not smart business.  But if backwards compatablity is there i COULD see them going the route they allready are and offer a top notch GCN game with a new GC2

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2003, 03:12:50 PM »
This area is for GameCube discussion.  We have a section called Fast Forward for these kinds of topics, and there are many topics like this already there.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers