Author Topic: Sega Genesis VS Super Nintendo  (Read 4392 times)

Offline Blackfire

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Sega Genesis VS Super Nintendo
« on: June 15, 2003, 07:43:02 PM »
The greatest console battle of all times were with these two consoles. Some of the best games ever were created, or started on one of these systems. Just a quick question, which of these had the better graphics? I need to add a 16 bit system to my arsenal of consoles. I love the SNES and had it forever, but they are hard to find...the RPGs and Zelda games are excellent. I never had a Genesis and wouldnt mind owning one. They are dirt cheap and run about $15 used at GameStop in pretty good condition.  
AKA NintendoKiD

RAWR!!

Brianna Banks I love you.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: Sega Genesis VS Super Nintendo
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2003, 07:48:38 PM »
SNES wins hands down in the graphics department. Thanks to its Mode 7 chip and ability to handle more on screen sprites. Plus the SNES could use A/V. Genesis only supported RF. That's not to say Genesis games looked like rubbish, it had some stunning looking games. Vectorman is a prime example.

Get both consoles if you have the money. You won't regret having both sexy machines sitting next to eachother

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2003, 11:21:35 PM »
dirt cheep too, i got my Snes + mario paint, mortal kombat 3, Yoshis Island and the awsomly stunning Shaq Fu for $40 au! A WINNER IS ME!

must. import. chronotrigger.

you MMMMMMMUST get Super Metroid, my favorite game on the Snes easy!

Offline aoi tsuki

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2003, 11:53:10 PM »
There were a few Genesis games that emulated Mode 7, but the SNES still owned the Genesis in that department, as well as with a greater color palette which made its games look richer. It's pretty much hands down for the SNES in that area, although i liked the look of Genesis games over those on SNES.

There was an AV adaptor (and RGB adaptor) for the Genesis, but for whatever reason it wasn't that popular and eventually became hard to find.  
"Snake felt a hunger for Meryl blossom within his loins."

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2003, 07:39:45 AM »
I have a GameCube, and I still use an RF adaptor.  

The Genesis was clocked slightly higher, but the SNES owned in graphics, sound, and control.  The Genesis controller just sucked.  Also dare I say that the SNES had better games?
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2003, 07:55:35 AM »
"I have a GameCube, and I still use an RF adaptor."

That is such a waste.  You must have a pretty old TV.

I've always preferred the SNES because I prefer Nintendo's first party games to Sega's and the SNES had more exclusive third party games.  It also had better graphics and sound and a better controller.  Plus I've found that the SNES' greatest hits have a lot more lasting value.  Most of my favourite SNES titles are still enjoyable today and I just don't have that same feeling with the Genesis.

If I could get only one I would get the SNES, not only because of the reasons above but because I've found that SNES are a lot easier to find used.  Genesis systems are pretty common but games aren't as plentiful (at least where I live).  The best Genesis games like Phantasy Star, Shining Force, and Gunstar Heroes are near impossible to find.  The Sonic games are easy to find but you can get every Sonic Genesis title on Sonic Mega Collection.

Still if you can easily afford both, get both of them.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2003, 07:56:57 AM »
I have to go find the specs some time but the genesis was clocked sigificanly higher. SNES 3.5 MHz vs Genesis 16 MHz. It is because of the low clock speed is where the infamous SNES slow down comes from.

The SNES has a custom sound chip. The Genesis doesn't have one. Uses main CPU.
The SNES has a far bigger color palette.
The SNES has more Sprites on screen at once, roughly 120 @ 25 x 25 pixels in size.
Better video support.

The Genesis had an advantage where it could do 3d while the SNES couldn't/ but that changed with the introduction of the SuperFX chip which clocks at 10.15MHz for Star Fox and about double that for DOOM.
The Genesis shell looked much slicker than the US SNES.

Thats all I can remeber for now. But the SNES clearly owned the Genesis.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2003, 08:48:12 AM »
The SNES also had more buttons.  I own both systems and have for a long time.  My SNES has seen MUCH more play than the Genesis.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2003, 10:19:16 AM »
SNES has the best stable of games for any console ever..including the PSX/PS2.  SNES wins easily against the Genisis, but owning both would be the way to go.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2003, 10:31:16 AM »

I have a GameCube, and I still use an RF adaptor.

so do i.  reading from other threads, i don't think grey ninja can afford a modern tv, his main priority is video games, then food.  it's not thatbad of a picture, it gets the job done.  or he could be like me, i have a modern tv, but we have an old one in the basment where i play video games.  but i don't use and RF switch, i  use an RF modulator, and i did all this crazy hook up stuff to make it work, so the screen gets fuzzy sometimes. it's so ANNOYING!!! currently, i'm trying to hook up an AV switch to my tv so i don't have to swith wires and stuff when i want to change consoles, but it's not turning out so good.  sorry for my rambling.  i have a sega genesis buit not a SNES.  genesis is good, but looking at ports on the GBA, SNES is alot better in the game section.  
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2003, 12:04:51 PM »
Just run a switch in the way you have your A/Vs into the modulator for the GCN.  Switches are like 20 bucks or less depending on how good.  Mine was 10, but they stopped making them.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2003, 12:59:58 PM »
i know, i know.  if i had done that in the first place this would have been a whole lot easier.  i had to have had an RF switch at one point (from Nintendo) because i had done what i'm trying to do now only with my N64.  but, it's gone.  and if i really want to do this right, i sould buy 2 RF switches.  i tried running everything thru the modulator and back out to the AV swithch and back in to the tv or something, but it didn't work.  i have no clue why though.  in theory, it should work.  maybe it was a faulty wire.  i just used some crappy old cable wire i found in the basement.  i'll figure it out, and i'm not buying anything else, i'm saving all my money for games.  plus, it's all a matter of laziness.  in order to play my N64, all i'd have to do is unplug a couple of things, and plug in a couple more.  I HATE BEING POOR!!!  i want a job

oh yeah, if anything doesn't make sense here, it's becasue of me.  my terminology for this kind of stuff might be way off.  but i'm pretty sure i got it right.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2003, 01:16:16 PM »
Heh.  Yeah, I can't afford or want a better TV.  The one I have does the job just fine.  I would like to ditch the TV idea completely though, and simply get a good TV Tuner, but that costs way more than I can afford.

I did sell one of my video games today though so I could buy food.  It was a copy of Illusion of Gaia, and I got $20 for it.  I don't think I will be buying it back when I get money again... I never really did like the game.  If it comes time to put Secret of Evermore or Chrono Trigger in hock though... you can be sure I am getting them back.

Anyways, I should probably go buy some tuna or something with the $15 I have left.  I am starving to death, and I don't want any more of that GROSS brand of ramen I have been eating.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Blackfire

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2003, 04:08:40 PM »
Dont spend your 15$ on tuna! Check your local GameStop as I did. I went with no money in my pockets (stupid idea) and they were practically GIVING away a Sega Genesis 3 model with Sonic 1+2 for just $15. My GameStop has a bunch of use N64 and Dreamcast systems. Its pretty rare for a SNES to pop up but once I get $40 I'm goin for it. I want something sexy next to my PS2 or above my sterio. IMO Genesis3 is sexier then the new SNES model...black all the way
AKA NintendoKiD

RAWR!!

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2003, 04:46:40 PM »
ILL BUY CHRONOTRIGGER OFF YOU GREY NINJA

that game is freaking impossible to get, especially living in australia!

Offline Blackfire

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2003, 08:35:28 PM »
Not really PIAC, heres a link to a pretty damn good deal  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3030174310&category=11042

Go to www.ebay.com and type in Chrono Trigger, you  can by the cart itself for about $20.
AKA NintendoKiD

RAWR!!

Offline PIAC

• is actually agentseven
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2003, 09:04:37 PM »
the ones i tried to get ended up for about $30 us, doesn't seem like much but comes to about $70 AU by the time i get it here and even then i need the converter cartridge.

edit: pretty damn good deal? O_o that was $70 us, thats like $150 AU by the time i get it here o_O blimey, im not paying that

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2003, 02:43:06 AM »
I want to play Chrono Trigger so bad (even though I don't have a SNES).  I'm hoping Square-Enix will port it to the GBA.

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2003, 08:44:25 PM »
The GCN is like...the only system I'll ever need.

What with Sonic Mega Collection (The only Sega Genesis games I cared about) the Game Boy Player, its like an NES and above.

Only if they'll release N64 ports will I go in complete orgasm.

But back on topic:

The Sonic games are pretty much what I mostly cared about. There were a few other ones (Tiny Toons Sports, World of Illusion w/ Mickey and Donald etc.

But yeah, the SNES had the better version and more of everything. But I still own both consoles.
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!