Author Topic: Your Mortality  (Read 5155 times)

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Your Mortality
« on: August 08, 2010, 04:17:42 AM »
How do you deal with it?  Do you believe in an afterlife?

I've just been thinking recently (after ignoring it for about a decade), how eventually, the time will come when I die.  I don't believe in an afterlife, and it's hard to wrap my head around the idea that eventually, I will cease to exist, and every memory I've ever experienced will disappear and it will basically be as if I've never existed.  At least to me, 'cause I'll be dead.  Deep ****, yo, for real.  It's one of those things that I don't want to think about, but it keeps gnawing away at me, essentially making life meaningless.  It makes you feel completely insignificant.

Is that how you feel, or do you think that you have a higher purpose, or that you'll continue to live on and that this is only a "layer" of existence that us mere mortals are unable to truly grasp intellectually?  Or perhaps that all that matters is what you leave behind for "the next generation"?
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Re: Your Mortality
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 04:22:27 AM »
I tried commenting just now but erased it all, I need more time. Now I don't know what I think. This subject though does intrigue me.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 04:50:09 AM »
Well the way I face my mortality is that I kinda don't worry about it too much. What I mean is that I just do what I can while I am here and try to pass on my knowledge to younger people.So I just try to focus on what I can do and pass along.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 04:56:12 AM by Maxi »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 10:35:14 AM »
I just assume that by the time I get that old science will have advanced far enough that they'll be able to transplant my conscious into another body--be it physical or just electronic--essentially allowing me to live forever.

My goal for the next 50 years is to not get hit by a bus before this is a reality.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline TheBlackCat

• Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 11:39:28 AM »
How do you deal with it?

If you would not be forgotten, as soon as you are rotten, either write things worth reading or do things worth the writing.
-Benjamin Franklin

I deal with it by focusing on how my life impacts the life of others.

Do you believe in an afterlife?
No, not in the supernatural sense at least.  But every life does have an impact on others, so after you die you do live on in the effects your life has had on the world.  So I strive to have a positive effect, so I leave the world at least a slightly better place than I entered it.  It doesn't so much matter if I am remembered for doing them, or that anyone even knows I did them, so long as they improve something about the world.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 11:41:56 AM by TheBlackCat »
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline TheBlackCat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 11:44:13 AM »
I just assume that by the time I get that old science will have advanced far enough that they'll be able to transplant my conscious into another body--be it physical or just electronic--essentially allowing me to live forever.

My goal for the next 50 years is to not get hit by a bus before this is a reality.

I wouldn't count on loading your brain into a computer necessarily happening within the next 50 years.  It could, but I wouldn't count on it.  The brain is obscenely complicated, even our best computers today can only simulate extreme simple representations of a single brain cell in real-time, and there are about 600 billion of them, with radically different behavior amongst them.  And the problem doesn't scale linearly either, so 600 billion more cells would take far more than 600 billion times the processing power and memory.  That ignores the question of how we would even copy the state of all of the cells when many of the properties exist on extremely tiny (sub-cellular or molecular) length scales and are not electrical in nature.

Transplanting the brain would be a better bet, but the brain ages too, so it would only postpone the inevitable.  We would first need to figure out why aging happens, then figure out a way to correct it, then figure out a way to induce the brain to create more brain cells (normally we have a net loss of brain cells over time, which would result in you ultimately dieing no matter what the rest of the body did, although normally the rate of decay of the brain is a lot slower than the rest of the body).  We also know the aging brain undergoes numerous other sorts of changes, although we don't know what all of them are yet, why they happen, or what their overall impact is.  And we have to do that without triggering cancer.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 12:54:48 PM by TheBlackCat »
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 02:35:02 PM »
I can't really answer your question without getting into religion, a topic of discussion which is forbidden on this forum. All I will say that, because no one truly knows what happens when we die, there's no point in worrying about the inevitable. I don't believe anyone has a "purpose" in life, people should just do whatever it is that makes them happy.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 08:32:40 PM »
Knowing me, I will probably procrastinate my death. I'm as ready to go as I will ever be. Believing on the afterlife doesn't matter to me because alive is where I am now.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 07:42:35 PM »
I intend to live forever.  :cool;

Though truth be told I am scared to death of...death. My religious background should save me from that worry but it doesn't. After a lot of thought on the matter I believe this fear has to do with what kind of legacy I would be leaving. I don't want to fade into the shadow of obscurity. I also think of a line I heard in one of the Metal Gear games about how genetically we 'live forever' through our children and the passing on of our genes and since I have yet to sire a child it means my line and through this my enduring existence is not yet guaranteed.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 02:53:16 AM »
I killed my mortality, so I can live forever.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2010, 09:11:29 AM »
Not really helpful, but I was explaining to my wife the other day how, when I die, if she *must* sell my Nintendo stuff, then it has to be sold as a set with the condition that if whomever is in possession of the set ever breaks any part of it up, I will haunt him/her for the rest of their natural life (and the lives of those in possession of the broken up parts of the set).  So, yeah, I've got after-life plans. ;)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 05:53:29 PM »
Kind of hard to share my beliefs regarding mortality without getting into a certain topic but I think I can keep it in the rules.

In my early 20's if you asked me this question I would express my 100% belief in the afterlife.  I was not afraid to die because I had supreme confidence in my faith.

In the present my faith has deteriorated a lot so I am not so certain.  As a result I'm pretty damn afraid about death.  I don't know what happens now and these days I'm leaning more towards the idea that there isn't any afterlife at all.  After assuming for so long that there was, the realization that this life is all we ever get is quite depressing.

Stratos mentions how he hasn't had kids yet and I'm in the same boat.  My Dad got married when he was 25.  I assumed I would probably get married around the same age.  I turn 29 this year and I'm still single.  Meanwhile I know a lot of people around my age or younger who have gotten married.  A fair chunk of them are starting to have kids.  In comparison I feel like I'm behind in life.  This combined with a new sense of mortality makes aging all the worst.  I want to stop and get this wife and kids stuff taken care of before moving forward but that's not how it works.

If this is the only life any of us get then I feel I ought to make the most of it.  I have found that money, fame, power are all very superficial.  I have never felt any real joy or fulfillment from them.  The only thing that really has proven to have any lasting value in my life has been human relationships.  What has truly made me happy in life has been my relationships with my family and friends.  And in times when I have had a girlfriend and things are going good that relationship applies as well.

Under normal circumstance my parents are going to die before I do.  And odds are my siblings and friends are going to get married and start families of their own.  This is what most people do.  And at this point one's other relationships become less close as more attention is paid to ones's immediate family.  This is normal and expected.  Therefore my existing relationships are somewhat finite.  They will not exist as they do now 10, 20, 50 years down the road.  Aside from being something I personally would like, a wife and children are more or less a requirement to maintain a comparable level of human relationships.  Now I still have time but the window of opportunity is constantly shrinking and I am at the point where the years of opportunity behind me are greater than the ones ahead.  I've probably got about five years left, maybe six.  If it doesn't happen in that timeframe it probably won't at all.

So to sum it up I'm leaning towards the idea that my 80 or so years of life on this Earth are all I ever get.  I believe that in order to find that small period of time fulfilling I need to maintain close human relationships and to ensure that for the future I need to start a family of my own.  And I feel I'm behind on accomplishing that and that the window of time to achieve it is shrinking.  So, yeah, I'm incredibly uneasy with my mortality.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 06:36:31 PM »
My wife struggles a lot with death, mortality, and the possibiliy of an afterlife.

I try not to think about it. Since I have Cystic Fibrosis, I'll be dead long before the rest of my family, probably a lot of you guys, too. I wish I could say I have religion to fall back on, but I don't. There's a part of me that wants to think I'll end up in a nicer place, in some field somewhere with my dead dogs and geckos and family members, but I know that's just a lie people tell themselves to stave off thinking about death. What if nothing happens? What if your consciousness is trapped in your dead body, screaming for release? Blackness. Forever.

That's a scary thought. What if your consciousness is transferred to something else, like a baby or a frog or a snail or a goat? I don't want to think about that, either.

I think it's safe to say that NOBODY knows what happens when you die. Not really. You can say you do, but you've probably never died before. As it happens, I was born 2 months premature and was dead right out of the womb. The doctors saved my life, but my parents tell me I was gone for like ten minutes. Amazingly, I suffered no brain trauma (my wife might say otherwise).

I think the best course of action is to try to be a good person during your time on Earth, try to help people out, educate them, and make your life and deeds worth remembering. When you die...who knows, man. It's all part of the journey, and it's probably nothing like we expect. No sense in dwelling on it since it'll happen to us all, but we won't be able to tell anyone what it's like.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 01:59:39 PM »
Not really helpful, but I was explaining to my wife the other day how, when I die, if she *must* sell my Nintendo stuff, then it has to be sold as a set ...  So, yeah, I've got after-life plans. ;)

I always assumed you'd want to be buried with your Nintendo stuff like an Egyptian Pharaoh.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline TheBlackCat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 03:02:45 PM »
@ Halbred: my opinions are similar.
-Jeff Raskin

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 04:01:43 PM »
EDIT:  I will add that ever since I became the parent of small children, I find myself far more worried about their mortality than my own.  Nothing is scarier than having a very small, seriously ill child and feeling relatively powerless to do anything about it.

I think about it a bit more these days.  In the last couple of years, I've lost a child (my wife had miscarriage...to be clear...we didn't know that the child had passed until the sonogram), and, fairly recently, a friend of mine whom I've known since high school finally lost a 2-year battle with Leukemia. 

Without breaking the rules of the forum thread in discussing religion, I will just say that I am a professing Christian.  My forum name is transliterated form of a Greek word, σύνδουλος, used in a few times the New Testament ; it's a word that means "fellow slave."  So, my beliefs about the afterlife, are sort of informed by my faith.  I wouldn't say that I have a religious faith because of what I believe about the afterlife...though, that is what drives a lot, if not most, people to become religious.  Because my friend shared my faith, I do believe I'll see him again.  I also believe that I will see my unborn child again, but my reasons for believing this would lead to a theological discussion I can not have here. 

It should be noted that the friend of mine, Robert, admitted to me that had a "long, dark night of the soul" and felt anger at his situation during his first series of treatments.  To make a long story short, from the judgment of most people, he probably would have had every right to have a bitter outlook on life.  He lost his own father at the age of 3, grew up in the projects, spent more time in his youth taking care of his mother than the other way around; yet he was always strong in his beliefs, even in his anger at his situation.  The disease was terrible and the treatment was painful; by the end, he didn't even look like the same guy.  The saddest thing to me is that when he passed away, he had a young family of his own... a child that was 3 and another that was 5.   It just goes to show that, no matter what, this world doesn't really play "fair."

Honestly, Robert was just one of those guys who seemed too good for this world in a lot of ways.  That's just my opinion, and I know it's hyperbole.   Robert would beg to differ.  His attitude through the whole thing was a great encouragement to me; as I mentioned, he did feel initially angry, but he did turn it around and tried to do as many positive things for his family and other people as he could.  I wonder if my own reaction would have been half as classy, positive, and impactful as his; to be honest, I don't know.  His memory still inspires me, though, and I'm sure it will for the rest of my life.

In keeping with that reasoning, I guess I don't worry about death; I do worry about reaching the end of my life haven't not done enough for my other people and in the name of Christ, whom I profess to follow.  Not because I'm worried that this will affect my outcome in the afterlife (as I come from a theological belief that human works or goodness can not save you...as a friend put it, "It's not faith and works, faith or works, but a faith that works"), but it's more of a matter of not wasting the one life here that I have.   
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 01:35:03 AM by Sundoulos »
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Armak88

• Score: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2010, 01:29:15 AM »
One thing is for certain, we're all going to be dead for a much longer time than we will ever spend alive, so I  believe it is a question worth some consideration. I have always thought that The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis is an amazing book for how succinctly he is able to forge the metaphor of the end of the world and the afterlife. The Great Divorce is similarly themed, also by Lewis and is an interesting read. I wouldn't necessarily put all my stock in some of his theological conceits, but I think most of his work is well thought out.

I take some resignation to the idea that faith is "just a lie people tell themselves to stave off thinking about death." I am a Christian (though that can mean a great many things to different people and isn't the topic of the thread) and I have given death, life, and purpose a great deal of consideration. I could just as easily say that claiming an afterlife doesn't exist is a narcissist psychological mechanism for inflating the importance of your present experience. In the end, however, I think that it is all important, it all deserves some care and thought. I don't think there is any merit in avoiding the question, you just have to be open minded, yet critical when it comes to the answers. I am secure in my faith and my faith grants me security in the face of my own mortality. If anyone wants to PM me I can share why I feel this way or even send you some books that I've found to be helpful but I think I'm going to leave this thread here.
"I'm not going to ban you yet just in case you really are a huge fan of bean bag chairs..." - Pale

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2010, 05:28:17 PM »
speaking of being dead for longer than alive....

Egyptian Pharaohs pretty much had that figured out into a system....

"if your still talking about me now, than I did a pretty good job"

Michael Jackson
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post