Author Topic: Nintendo Dominates NPD's June Top 20  (Read 1533 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Nintendo Dominates NPD's June Top 20
« on: July 19, 2010, 11:50:03 AM »

The Big N's sales prominence extends well past the top 10.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/23723

The NPD Group has expanded upon its June 2010 top 10 software chart for the U.S., releasing the top 20 titles for the period as well.

NPD U.S. Top 20 Software, June 2010

01. Red Dead Redemption (Take-Two, Xbox 360) - 582,900
02. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Nintendo, Wii) - 548,400
03. Red Dead Redemption (Take-Two, PS3) - 380,300
04. New Super Mario Bros. Wii (Nintendo, Wii) - 200,900
05. Just Dance (Ubisoft, Wii) - 174,800
06. Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo, Wii) - 148,000
07. Toy Story 3 (Disney, NDS) - 164,000
08. UFC 2010: Undisputed (THQ, Xbox 360)
09. Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (Warner Bros., Wii) - 136,000
10. UFC 2010: Undisputed (THQ, PS3)
11. Pokemon SoulSilver Version (Nintendo, DS)
12. Transformers: War For Cybertron (Activision, Xbox 360) – 132,000
13. New Super Mario Bros. (Nintendo, DS)
14. Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision, Xbox 360)
15. 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (EA, Xbox 360)
16. 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (EA, PS3)
17. Mario Kart Wii w/Wheel (Nintendo, Wii)
18. Pokemon HeartGold Version (Nintendo, DS)
19. Toy Story 3 (Disney, Wii)
20. Wii Sports Resort (Nintendo, Wii)

Spots 11 to 20 feature many of what would be considered the "usual suspects", such as DS titles Pokemon SoulSilver & HeartGold and New Super Mario Bros., and Wii titles Mario Kart Wii and Wii Sports Resort.

While Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 was cited as a notable omission from the top 10 earlier this week, it turns out that its performance was even weaker than suspected, as it missed the top 20 entirely.  Green Day: Rock Band also greatly underperformed, missing the top 20 in its launch month and selling “a paltry 82K units across three platforms” according to Cowen & Company analyst Doug Creutz.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Nintendo Dominates NPD's June Top 20
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 12:07:42 PM »
I guess having Zurg as an exclusive character didn't help the PlayStation 3 version of Toy Story 3: The Video Game. I am a little shocked at how much Green Day: Rock Band bombed, I wonder how it breaks down though since the Wii version usually is the best selling.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 03:47:09 PM »
@ TJ Spyke: Really?  How many copies did you expect Green Day Rock Band to sell?

This game seemed doomed from the start.  Focusing on a single band didn't work for The Beatles Rock Band, and the music genre has really stalled lately.  I'm honestly surprised that it sold as well as it did.

The question now is whether any other bands will see special treatment like this...  Although there are some bands that I'd love to see highlighted with a full game, I doubt that game sales would be dramatically better than what Green Day received.  Probably not worth the development costs in the end.
NNID: ejamer

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 03:53:35 PM »
I expected the top selling version to do about 100K, I didn't expect the three versions to only sell a combined 87K.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline ControlerFleX

• Best new poster
  • Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 11:28:07 PM »
I guess having Zurg as an exclusive character didn't help the PlayStation 3 version of Toy Story 3: The Video Game........

Hecks NO!, I think this kind of approach can only work for games like Batman: Arkam Asylum(Playable Joker), the percentage of PS3 owners + Toy Story "lovers" divided by must play as Zurg ='s the smallest market possible for that skew of the game.

Quote from: TJ Spyke link=topic=31969.msg625088#msg625088   date=1279555662
.......I am a little shocked at how much Green Day: Rock Band bombed.........

As time continues with the Music Game genre, the sales will continue to dwindle and shift. I love Green Day and I'm a gamer that has only owned 3 Guitar Hero/Rock Band games so I'm not completely burnt out and I have yet to buy the game because I know that the price will drop super low by X-Mas, due to low sales.

Many gamers say, If they had (insert your favorite band here) then I would be all over it, but as time passes interest dwindles and my interest shifts to something else as some one else wants(your favorite band)

Looking at these sales must be frustrating and baffling to third party developers, top notch quality titles that gamers play on a daily basis can not crack that top tier of Wii sales , even with it's massive install base. Shear luck should have better numbers than this.

Every developer and they Ma Ma! is ready to do stuff on the 3DS, but I bet they will think twice or even steer clear of Nintendo's next home console due to sales like these.

....he asked me if the glass was half full or half empty. "Neither." I replied. "I see a glass that is two times bigger than it needs to be....

Forever debited to you my friend...