Author Topic: My Wii now lives in the family living room  (Read 3266 times)

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
My Wii now lives in the family living room
« on: January 31, 2008, 03:37:35 PM »
A chain of events has made me move my Wii into the living room, as per Nintendo's subconscious, subliminal wishes.

A few months ago, my parents when to visit my sister and her family in Texas.  They had a Wii for a while, and my mom played with the grandchildren (my nieces) with the Wii for a while.  They made Miis, they played Wii Sports.  My mom just said that they "had a good time with it."  Harmless fun, I figured.

Fast forward to two weeks ago.  My mom, out of the blue, comments on how she also tried playing Guitar Hero (!) on the Wii, and also thought that was fun.  She showed me a video on YouTube with that 9-year-old kid doing Through the Fire and Through the Flames on Expert and getting 96% or something ridiculously impossible.  My mom starts bugging me about trying out Guitar Hero for herself.

At this point, I thought it weird that my mother would show this level of interest in video games at all.  But it was a good kind of weird.  Like, maybe she'd eventually start understanding why I can't immediately do something while I'm in the middle of game or why I can't just "pause it" at times.  This would be good, I thought.

The straw that broke the camel's back, as it were, was when I got in my Japanese Wii, fresh from Japan last week.  I now had two Wiis, and she had leverage to ask me to put my (U.S.) Wii in the living room.  I figured, why the hell not?  It would be a lot easier for me finish playing some of the games I want to that way, and she can play any time she wants without bugging me about it.

This is interesting for me, since I'm seeing Nintendo's whole "Blue Ocean" thing unfold before my eyes.  Even though I knew what it was all about without seeing it happen myself, seeing it happen myself gives me a whole new perspective on Nintendo's strategy.  It doesn't justify it leaving out the hardcore fans (you, me) out in the cold a bit more than it used to, but still, I can digest what Nintendo is making us chew a bit easier.

Oh, I guess that still leaves me with a Japanese Wii.  Take a wild guess what I'll be doing with that this weekend.
Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
RE: My Wii now lives in the family living room
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 03:41:32 PM »
Sega Master System virtual console games?

Your mom sounds hipper than mine, I'm guessing she likes Rock & Roll. although mine did try Brain Training on the DS when I was home this Christmas.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 03:52:18 PM »
I think this Wii thing could take off

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 04:54:27 PM »
Our investment partners didn't consider Wii to be a factor until now.  It just wasn't on our radar.

We will maintain our "wait and see" approach to see what real opportunities it can provide us with the younger market.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 05:42:24 PM »
My parent's were the original hardcore gamers.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline raptorspike

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:My Wii now lives in the family living room
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 08:56:46 AM »
I was tempted when i was home over christmas to bring my Wii out and hook it up in the family room. But since thats where the nice tv is, my mom doesn't want the random remote to go flying and break the screen (yea, she saw those youtube videos). But my dad did come in one day to my room and ask if he could try Guitar Hero III. I said let me finish my song, and he never came back. We did have a nice round of Ghost Squad though. Maybe I'll try over summer and get my mom and sis to play Wii Sports. Maybe then they'll buy their own and leave mine alone!

Offline raptorspike

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 08:58:03 AM »

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 12:36:34 PM »
"I said let me finish my song, and he never came back"

enemy of non-gamers
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 03:29:40 PM »
My family are communists so we share everything. The consoles have never been anywhere but the living room, plugged into the only TV in the house.

I don't live at home anymore, so the WII is in the living room of my student commune. I sent the PS2 and Gamecube back home so my sister has something to do though.  
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline raptorspike

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 08:38:02 AM »
Professional, I think it was more that he wanted to play together. Which is why we were able to play Ghost Squad. But I only have one guitar, and I was right in the middle of "One"

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 11:44:53 AM »
Can you call someone a casual gamer if they've got a Wii Sports Tennis score over 2000 and can ace you easily with a return every time you serve the ball?  I still don't get it...He doesn't play games!

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2008, 02:07:20 PM »
No you can't, which is why the casual and hardcore labels can go to you know where.  I mean according to some people DDR is casual gamers game and yet they're people out there who are obsessive about their perfect and marvelous attacks and can AA 10s and flashing 10s.  

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2008, 02:25:55 PM »
There's no such thing as a casual game, only casual gamers.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2008, 06:56:03 PM »
My parents play the XBox I got them. They're not really interested in the Wii because they don't like gimmick games