Author Topic: Sp apparently, the Japanese "are not happy" with Dragon Quest IX DS  (Read 16937 times)

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
RE:So apparently, the Japanese "are not happy" with Dragon Quest IX DS
« Reply #75 on: April 27, 2007, 01:04:17 PM »
Yes, I played FF:CC with other people. 3-4 of us, after school, with GBAs and GBASPs. I even had a younger brother at my disposal.

Originally posted by: mantidor

Originally posted by: ShyGuy
Mantidor, are you getting more cantankerous as time goes on, or is it just me?

I... did not know what that meant

Turn based anything is just so boring, even when it has a deep strategy behind it like in Pokemon, weren't turn based mechanics there to make it easy to emulate a real battle, back in the days of pen and paper games? we are way past that, we can let the computer do all the emulation, all the dice roles and turns. These games are only about churning numbers, at least you used your imagination back then, now is cutscene after cutscene, with annoying battles in between.

NO I'm not that old really

Just because something is old doesn't mean that it doesn't have an audience that wants to be served. One could say that pen and paper RPGs should have gone the way of the dodo by your view, or that tile based strategy RPGs are a waste of time. But there's money to be made, there's an audience, and there's an appeal. And the only time something truly stagnates is when you say it does. I'd like to think that there is still innovation left in the turn-based well... it's just that no one cares to dig deep enough.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE: So apparently, the Japanese "are not happy" with Dragon Quest IX DS
« Reply #76 on: April 27, 2007, 02:03:16 PM »

Yes, I played FF:CC with other people. 3-4 of us, after school, with GBAs and GBASPs. I even had a younger brother at my disposal.

Lucky I played the whole game alone.  Though that experience be a lot better with a very few minor tweaks.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 27, 2007, 02:31:35 PM »
Kairon, I'm just curious, did you ever play Four Swords Adventures with all four players?  I never had that luxury.  I got up to three, and thought it was great.  If you did play it, what did you think of it?

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 27, 2007, 03:10:59 PM »

Originally posted by: Kairon

Just because something is old doesn't mean that it doesn't have an audience that wants to be served. One could say that pen and paper RPGs should have gone the way of the dodo by your view, or that tile based strategy RPGs are a waste of time. But there's money to be made, there's an audience, and there's an appeal. And the only time something truly stagnates is when you say it does. I'd like to think that there is still innovation left in the turn-based well... it's just that no one cares to dig deep enough.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com

hmm... that makes me think that turn based RPGs are like FPS, that became so popular that innovation behind them ended up practically non-existent for fear of alienating the big userbase... interesting, sure there must be some hidden jewels somewhere, but every time I tried some turned based game I've felt terribly dissapointed and bored. I do like Paper Mario a lot, but its mostly because of the humor behind it.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 27, 2007, 03:31:08 PM »

Originally posted by: thatguy
Kairon, I'm just curious, did you ever play Four Swords Adventures with all four players?  I never had that luxury.  I got up to three, and thought it was great.  If you did play it, what did you think of it?

[cranky]

I don't think I got around to playing Four Swords Adventures on the GC. I played the first GBA one a little bit, but I wasn't wowed by it too much. To begin with, it isn't Zelda! LOL. Nah, but seriously, I have issues with games where they allow people to jerk around and act counter-productively instead of cooperatively to solve stuff. I guess it's just my personal preference, but I prefer pure co-op, not the sort of co-op that encourages players to repeatedly throw each other into holes for 2 hours and hence get nowhere fast.

It's like how a Halo match is always ruined once people want to spend 2 hours trying to show off this "awesome cool" bug that they saw on the net. Wow, we've just spent two hours getting a ghost up on the top invisible edges of the level instead of playing. Wasn't that fun? Likewise with four swords.

[/cranky]

Originally posted by: mantidor
hmm... that makes me think that turn based RPGs are like FPS, that became so popular that innovation behind them ended up practically non-existent for fear of alienating the big userbase... interesting, sure there must be some hidden jewels somewhere, but every time I tried some turned based game I've felt terribly dissapointed and bored. I do like Paper Mario a lot, but its mostly because of the humor behind it.

Hmm... well if turn-based RPGs were in the same position as FPS games, I don't think I'd be so quick to defend them! LOL.

But... boy do I hope we see some innovation. The ATB system was great! ... about 7 Final Fantasy games ago. Turn-based battles are such a simple abstraction that I would like to think a designer could have lots of fun with them if they really wanted to do something new.

~Carmine "Cai" M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Djunknown

• HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2007, 04:01:09 PM »
Sounds like people are playing the company as opposed to blaming the fans who suggested to keep it turn based in the first place...

SquareEnix listened to the fans who buy this series religiously as opposed to Westerners who in general look at Dragon Quest as a sideshow while they froth for the next Final Fantasy. Can't say that I blame SquareEnix on this one...

Chalk it up to one of those Japanese Vs Western gamer preferences. It'd be interesting to discuss and single out key differences between the two.

Ma ma sa, ma ma coo sa
Ma ma se, ma ma sa,
Ma ma coo sa

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2007, 12:06:51 PM »

Originally posted by: Djunknown
Sounds like people are playing the company as opposed to blaming the fans who suggested to keep it turn based in the first place...

SquareEnix listened to the fans who buy this series religiously as opposed to Westerners who in general look at Dragon Quest as a sideshow while they froth for the next Final Fantasy. Can't say that I blame SquareEnix on this one...

Chalk it up to one of those Japanese Vs Western gamer preferences. It'd be interesting to discuss and single out key differences between the two.

I agree.  FF is not nearly as big in Japan as it is in the West by my understanding.  Rank wise at least.  Though on the flipside Dragon Quest is a day devouring Monster.  It literally gets a holiday.  While here in the States its that "other" high profile RPG that Square-Enix makes.  Yeah I can understand them catering to the Japanese market on this one.  If it was FF they probably tell them to get over it.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2007, 04:59:47 PM »
Actually, FF sells better in Japan.  It usually gets about 2 million for new numbered (meaning just one number) games, whereas it's around 1.3 million in the US.