Author Topic: Help in dealing with a raving anti-Nintendo fanboy  (Read 3296 times)

Offline Hocotate

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Help in dealing with a raving anti-Nintendo fanboy
« on: May 12, 2006, 09:39:24 PM »
I hope a thread like this is acceptable here. I am a member of a small forum community and I am the only Wii defender there. The Sony fanboy is trying to tell me that Sony didn't steal Nintendo's idea. I would like to know, how you guys would reply to this post, Thanks in advance

steal (stl)
v. stole, (stl) sto·len, (stln) steal·ing, steals
v. tr.

1. To take (the property of another) without right or permission.

share1 (shâr)

v. shared, shar·ing, shares
v. tr.
2. To participate in, use, enjoy, or experience jointly or in turns.

There is a difference in stealing someone's work and using the same technology. Who cares who introduces the technology. It's there for gaming. Sure nintendo could have very well brought attention to yet another gaming standard of the future, but to say that Sony is stealing it for using that technology is f***ing retarded. NOW you can say that Sony is giving Nintendo props by using the technology in some compacity, but saying that they are stealing and just like saying they are stealing for using buttons in the only logical way to put them on a controller and for using small joysticks on there controller, it's just stupid and far too fanboy to help your case.

Currently Playing: Twilight Princess(Wii), Castlevania: PoR(DS), Mario vs. Donkey Kong2(DS), Wii sports(Wii)
Anticipating: Mario Galaxy(Wii), Blue Dragon(360), Dragon Quest:Swords(Wii), Dragon Quest IX (DS)

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
RE: Help in dealing with a raving anti-Nintendo fanboy
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2006, 10:20:15 PM »
How can you hope to argue with someone that doesn't deal with the real world? He probably thinks the moon landing was real, too. It's a waste of your precious time, Hocotate.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
RE:Help in dealing with a raving anti-Nintendo fanboy
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 01:25:29 AM »
I'm not a linguist, but I think the word 'share' implies there is mutual benefit and understanding. I can't really see how Sony taking an idea from Nintendo and implementing it in their own controller, with the goal of hurting Nintendo and helping themselves, could really be described as sharing.

But, hey, it is dog eat dog out there in the business world. Maybe there's nothing unfair about the fact that Nintendo pours alot of money into developing new gameplay ideas, only to have others reap the rewards. Fine. It doesn't really matter whether Sony is sharing or stealing the idea behind Nintendo's controller this time around...because, frankly, their motion control is a pretty pale imitation of the Wii's. The ps3 controller, while it sounds like it'll make for a good substitute flight stick, can't be used as a sword. Or a gun. Or a baseball bat. You couldn't use the ps3 controller to control RTSes or FPSes with a mouse-like precision. It just lacks that functionality, instead featuring the simpler motion control you'd find in, say, Kirby's Tilt N Tumble for the GameBoy Color.

So, while I do think Sony deciding to imitate Nintendo's idea so soon after they revealed it was a little low (a little desperate, a little pathetic), I don't think it's that big of a deal. E3 attendees weren't waiting 4+ hours to get their hands on a ps3 controller, after all.  
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 01:35:30 AM »
I think the term he's looking for is "borrow" (because sharing would require the owner of the object to make the first move). And you know what they call "borrowing without owner's consent"...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 04:48:07 AM »
Sony didn't steal it.

They did a really bad immitation of it.

The Playstation started out as Nintendo's sloppy seconds and will end it's life as Nintendo's sloppy seconds.  Everything comes full circle.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 01:00:34 PM »
Uncle Bob wins.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Hocotate

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 04:14:00 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys I had an idea of what I was going to say, I just wanted a second opinion. Thanks again!!
Currently Playing: Twilight Princess(Wii), Castlevania: PoR(DS), Mario vs. Donkey Kong2(DS), Wii sports(Wii)
Anticipating: Mario Galaxy(Wii), Blue Dragon(360), Dragon Quest:Swords(Wii), Dragon Quest IX (DS)

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2006, 07:22:39 PM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob
Sony didn't steal it.

They did a really bad immitation of it.

The Playstation started out as Nintendo's sloppy seconds and will end it's life as Nintendo's sloppy seconds.  Everything comes full circle.

wisest words ever.....
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline wandering

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2006, 08:26:23 PM »

Originally posted by: Hocotate
Thanks for the replies guys I had an idea of what I was going to say, I just wanted a second opinion. Thanks again!!

You're going to post your reply now, right?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 11:59:58 AM »
Pearls before Swine..

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 08:06:41 AM »
I know I'm too late, but the person you're debating with is clearly basing his attack on a fallacy.  He is attacking a figure of speech, purposefully confusing the dictionary definition of the word "steal" with the metaphorical meaning.  It is an attempt to sidetrack the discussion by forcing you to defend your choice of words.  He is trying to put you on the defensive while he goes on the attack.  There is no way for you to win such an argument if you allow him to distract you.  The best you can do is point out that his dictionary based attack is irrelevant and continue with your original premise.  He will almost certainly try to turn that into an attack against you as well.  He'll probably do something along the lines of claiming that you won't refute his points because you can't, even though you refuted them by calling them irrelevant.  Understand that these attacks are also irrelevant.  Stick to the points that can actually be debated, and don't let him drag you down to his level.  Of course, fanboys are for the most part impossible to reason with, so I think you're wasting your time in the first place.  Good luck.  

Offline Hocotate

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 07:32:01 PM »
Thanks for everything guys. I'm done arguing with this fanboy. I will bring all of this back up to him about a year from now, when he's making posts about how much fun he's having with the Wii.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 09:59:07 PM »
*wants to hire PartyBear for any future debates that he might engage himself in*
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk