Author Topic: Zelda bonus disk boxart.  (Read 7289 times)

Offline PelagicCube

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Zelda bonus disk boxart.
« on: February 24, 2003, 06:19:52 PM »
Hey anyone agree that the boxart that comes with this disk is just plain ugly? Not so much the back really but the front SUCKS! So I took it upon myself to redesign the box, print it out, and slip it in over the old one.
Here are two links to the boxart I made (in case one doesn't work). If you like it, feel free to use them for yourself!

http://www.geocities.com/pelagicube/boxart.html
http://www.angelfire.com/games5/pelagiccube/boxart_full.jpg

I just thought I'd share the wealth.
Hope you like them! (can't get much worse than the originals anyway...)  

Offline Gibdo Master

• JA! MEIN LEAPEN!
    • View Profile
Zelda bonus disk boxart.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2003, 06:25:08 PM »
Quit complaining. It was a free game fer cryin out loud. You're lucky we didn't just get the disk in a paper envelope like Japan did. Also you should have put this in the Zelda section anyway.
Hey, kid! I’m a computer! Stop all the downloadin’! Help computer!

Offline Taco

• View Profile
Zelda bonus disk boxart.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2003, 06:36:49 PM »
Yeah! enjoy the deal!!

Offline Calibretto

• View Profile
Zelda bonus disk boxart.
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2003, 06:56:52 PM »
I like your redesign of the box art.  Good work.  That is the kind of stuff I enjoy doing myself, actually; art and design work.  But I whole heartedly agree with Gibdo Master and Taco.  There is no reason to complain too much.  It was free.  I am sure they just picked it because it was a quick and cheap design that could showcase both titles at the same time.  But you want to make your own, that is fine.  
"This makes the master of the Gun-Katas an opponent not to be taken lightly..."

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Zelda bonus disk boxart.
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2003, 07:01:31 PM »
Heh.  used up your bandwidth eh?  I can host them for you for a while if you would like.  My msn is ninjacommander@hotmail.com.  Email them to me or IM me, and I'll host them for you.  Personally though, I liked the box art.  It wasn't anything fancy, but it was a real DVD case, and packaged nicely.
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline Chris1228

• View Profile
Zelda bonus disk boxart.
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2003, 02:26:56 AM »
I thought the Boxart was fine for a free game. Man it must be nice to have enough time to redesign boxart...I was busy enjoying my free game.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
Zelda bonus disk boxart.
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2003, 05:59:03 AM »
I'd like to get time to enjoy my free game.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline Cerberus

• View Profile
Zelda bonus disk boxart.
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2003, 09:25:24 AM »
Very nice. It's better than Nintendo's cover for the game, but I think I'll stay with the one that was in the case.
You can pick you friends, you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friend's nose.

Offline VideoGamerX

• View Profile
Zelda bonus disk boxart.
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2003, 12:17:42 PM »
I thought the box art was just freaking fine... I think all Zelda games should have a very plain box art design, although that worked specifically well when there was a gold cartridge. It made it stand out amongst all the grossly overdone misleading boxes made by other companies.

I rather prefer the one they gave it. I was especially surprised to see the game disc came in a case. I wasn't expecting that. I think NOA did a very good job with this promotion.

Offline PelagicCube

• View Profile
Zelda bonus disk boxart.
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2003, 02:33:31 PM »
Whoa!
I think you all might have taken what I did the wrong way. I am VERY grateful for this free bonus disk and I understand that since Nintendo doesn't really benefit from it (other than increased WW sales) that they aren't going to put as much time and effort into the appearance. Although they did do an great job with the disk itself.
All I'm saying was I felt inspired to make my own cover to compliment this awesome game. Designing computer graphics is my hobbie and this was a perfect opportunity to try my hand in making boxart for a game.

Oh and thanks for moving this topic for me. I didn't realize at first there was Zelda specific board.

Offline TheCouch123

• View Profile
Zelda bonus disk boxart.
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2003, 02:42:31 PM »
Great box art PelagicCube. I think they didnt put as much work into the cover because since it was a free bonus people already new they were getting it so it didnt need to look nice to get someone to buy it on impulse. The gamecube discussion section should be on the bottom of the forum home page so people new to the boards will see the section they should post in before going to the gamecube one.
I am so bored.

Offline babble

• View Profile
Zelda bonus disk boxart.
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2003, 03:14:27 PM »
Great job.

Don't mind all the bad mouth people in here. I also fine the design of the box art really ugly. And I'm a graphic designer so it's important for me that my box arts look nice.

Nintendo could have done a better job for no more money that they spent already.
All consoles are great, but not all games.

Offline Sion441

• View Profile
Zelda bonus disk boxart.
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2003, 05:06:00 PM »
Definitely agree that it's not very good, though I find it hard to complain since it's free.

Offline Dr_Pill

• View Profile
Zelda bonus disk boxart.
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2003, 06:05:49 PM »
That's some pretty keen work there on that boxart PelagiCube, and if I had the necessary ink and the right quality and size paper, I'd print that thing out.  Come to think of it, I do have the ink but I'm not sure how well the image would come out on a standard 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper. You suppose it'd work?

Offline strat

• View Profile
Zelda bonus disk boxart.
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2003, 10:31:11 AM »
Anyone have a link to a scan of the ACTUAL box art?  I haven't been able to see it, as EB is waiting for a new shipment of bonus disks (they're supposed to call me when its time to pick mine up).
[] * []
Strat

Offline Grey Ninja

• Retired Forum Drunk
    • View Profile
Zelda bonus disk boxart.
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2003, 11:45:41 AM »
Well...  I gather that he used the backside of the box art as is...  the problem is that mine looks very different.  

The writing on the back is in both French and English, meaning that there are only 3 screenshots on the back.  But each screenshot has a short caption below it, and there are icons for all the demos on this disc as well.  Also, the background consists of red streaks rather than the blue picture that's in the boxart above.

Also, while his boxart says it's only for resale in Canada, US, Latin America and Mexico, mine says in big letters:  NOT FOR RESALE.

The front cover is very different though.

The top half of it has a logo for OoT, with red writing, and the lower half has a logo for Master Quest, in blue writing.  (Like the in-game startup screens).  Seperating the two is a gold box that says TWO-GAME BONUS DISC (In English and French).  It doesn't say Only for GameCube at the top, it just has a GCN logo in the upper right corner.  In the upper left corner, it has a Game of the Year 1998 logo, in obth English and French.  At the very bottom is a gold Triforce with the words "NEVER BEFORE RELEASED!" written in both English and French.  The background for the front just has the same red streaks that are on the back.

The side of the disc is identical.  Simple, yet striking plain white text against a black background.

Of course I am Canadian if you hadn't figured that out yet.    
Once I had, a little game
I liked to crawl back into my brain
I think you know the game I mean

Offline babble

• View Profile
Zelda bonus disk boxart.
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2003, 01:18:42 PM »
Thank's PelagicCube. I've taken your image modified a bit and printed it out. (I modified the text on the spine to be like the original GC games (Arial or Helvetica black) and did a bit of cleanup (little white marks on back, and fixed the gameCube logo in front). Only problem with it, is it's missing about 1/8 of an inch on each side to be the same lengh as the original. But, it doesn't really mater.

Now I have a nice looking and matching GC game box. Thank's again!
All consoles are great, but not all games.

Offline DevilishDude

• View Profile
Zelda bonus disk boxart.
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2003, 03:15:53 PM »
kool box art...i wish i could to stuff like that
:: My name Smeedle
:: Tingle, Tingle... Koolah Limpah! These are the magic words Tingle created himself. Don't steal them!

:: Homestar Runner Quote Of The Week:
:: Ow! My Stomach Lining

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
Zelda bonus disk boxart.
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2003, 10:40:34 AM »
OOOO! I love the new box art! Just ONE question though. Can I print it out on the back of the original, or should i get some "special" paper for it. I really wanna print this thing out so I'd appreciate some help on this one. Thanks!
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline DevilishDude

• View Profile
Zelda bonus disk boxart.
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2003, 02:10:35 PM »
how did u make it?
:: My name Smeedle
:: Tingle, Tingle... Koolah Limpah! These are the magic words Tingle created himself. Don't steal them!

:: Homestar Runner Quote Of The Week:
:: Ow! My Stomach Lining

Offline CrYpTiC

• View Profile
Zelda bonus disk boxart.
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2003, 07:56:38 PM »
I didn't really think it was anything special...for a Zelda game there needs to be more mystery on the cover. Maybe all black with the Legend of Zelda in the middle with Gannon's eyes on top and mouth on bottom.  
Best Browser Available
http://www.mozilla.org
Download Phoenix today!
Screw IE!