Author Topic: Killer 7 delayed... again  (Read 37437 times)

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
RE: Killer 7 delayed... again
« Reply #75 on: July 07, 2005, 07:22:51 AM »
I love the fact that Mario Sunshine got great reviews, since it was a great game.  Same with Mario Kart Double Dash!!  People were expecting to be just as wowed with these two games as they were with Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64, it wasn't fair.  It all comes down to if the guys at PGC have your tastes in games- for me, they match perfectly (except for Ty, what with his fighting and bemani.....fetish)

Killer 7 is the type of game that you need to try out before you buy.  The reviews won't mean anything, the game is too out there, and as we've already seen the scores go from extreme ends of the spectrum, thus throwing any averaged statistics out of whack (besides, you shouldn't ever go by the game's actual score, you're better off not looking at nubers.)
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2005, 08:14:03 AM »
I didn't even like Super Mario Sunshine without ever having played a 3d Mario game (or 3d console game) before.

P666: I guess they just thought "it costs not even a dollar, let's take the chance".

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE:Killer 7 delayed... again
« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2005, 11:33:04 AM »

Originally posted by: PaLaDiN
Subtitles. Does it have them?

Paladin:  It's the same deal with Resident Evil 4 -- killer7 has no subtitles for the dialogue/narration in cutscenes, for characters speaking plain english (regardless of FMV or real-time).  In-game clues/conversations, plus NPC's who speak gibberish, get subtitles.  As you would've guess, the "documented" conversations help move the adventure-gaming forward, while the unsubtitled cutscenes move the wacko story along (or just a few-second clip to make you go.... *wHAt!?).

When I say "documented" I mean these conversations are accessible for review (character(s) literally repeat the "voiced" conversation) at venues you can consider to be save-points.  Other written memos happen to be accessible at any time via your Start-button Menu.

~~~~~

* I should add that killer7 (so far) does not have RE4's advantage of having action-packed gameplay that clearly outweighs the cutscenes.  I'd describe it as an on-rails shooter embedded in an adventure-style game, with simple, menu-driven "junction" controls for traversal.  With these controls in mind, you don't move your character around in-detail, searching for interesting objects by breaking pots or opening cabinets -- anything of interest to identify is pointed out to you during traversal via the junction system (the map includes hints as well; quite a few hints on Normal diff. on this first chapter I played... I hope they don't give away too much later on).  Of course, just because things are easily identified doesn't mean the game solves puzzles for you.

Concerning combat, the object is to keep your enemies from making contact with you becuz they *want* to explode.  No surrounded-by-villagers scenario so far, but even destroying a regular enemy's legs doesn't stop it from crawling to you.  So, you're looking for weak spots and trying to be efficient when multiple enemies approach  The game tells me to expect more unique/insane enemy designs later, therefore discovering weak spots becomes a small in-combat puzzle element.  Defeating enemies and collecting their blood is the beginning of the character building system.

I am still enjoying the freaky (as in crazy and sometimes a little unsettling) atmosphere.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline rpglover

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2005, 02:10:48 PM »
i will agree with mostly everyone else on this game that you might have to try it to see if you like it.

i got it and played through a bit and i do have to say that i like the game a whole lot.  its kinda odd at first that you hold a button to move, but since i got used to it, its not that bad.  the shooting in the game is pretty neat too as you have to hit the weak points on enemies - it not only gives you more blood to use, but also kills them in one hit.  and surprisingly the bosses in the game are actually pretty cool and fun to figure out how to kill them.  

strange part about killer 7 for me is that i love the gameplay thus far.  many reviews have stated that the atmosphere and story are the main attractions here, and although they are for the most part, the gameplay is decently fun.  it might be because it is so different from anything else out there, but i am enjoying killer 7 just as much as any other good game out there.  

but yeah for those out there still wondering if the game is worth a try, i'd say it definately is.  its not as bad as some of those low scores make it out to be and from what i have played so far, the story is pretty cool and the gameplay is decent.  - oh yeah, chosing hard mode at the begining eliminates a bunch of clues for some puzzles and makes combat harder as well

i call the big one bitey.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 07, 2005, 07:55:50 PM »
Oh, welcome back Paladin - wow, you've been gone for a while. Don't worry, I took care of the cookies, though KDR tried to pry them off me more than once.

RE: Killer 7 - This is DEFINITELY a rent-first game, unless you are really intrigued by it and don't care about the negatives. I just rented it, and so far I'm loving the presentation of it. It's just so...unique. So...wacko. I don't know; you really have to play it to get the feel of it. The gameplay is functional; the reviews really don't do it justice. This is another one of those debatable games that will be regarded differently by each person.  
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2005, 09:15:11 PM »
I'm buying this game straight off the bat because I know I'll love it.  This is exactly my type of thing.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2005, 03:24:13 AM »
OH MY SWEET SAMANTHA

YOU TAKE SUCH GOOD CARE OF MY RIFLE

XD

Offline jakeOSX

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2005, 07:07:37 AM »
ok, so i didn't know if i should start a new thread or not for a review of this...

anyway, got the game (despite the confused looks of just about every store clerk, and a mistakenly purchased king arthur)

it is nifty. looks great. the controls are still taking a bit to get used to. the movement is a no-brainer, A to move, B to turn around, chose the path when you get to a fork.

for fighting you pull R and go into FPS type play (no movement though). Here is where the buttons get more active. R for combat. L for scanning (since the enemies are invisible) B to select enemies, the pad to move through them, and the analoge stick for free aim. Enemies have an 'insta-kill' place that if you shoot they go poof.

reloading is an animation, so you can't do anything. while realistic (sorta) did get me killed at least twice.

when you die as one of the personalities it leaves a bag, brown paper bag and a tape outline. one of the personalities is 'the cleaner' he is the one who picks up the 'dead' ones and brings them back to harmon. if he dies, you all die, which i didn't realize at first (i wanted to be the cleaner...)

so you got the cleaner, the revolver guy, sniper girl, two pistol kid, ninja star dude, thug and dude i didn't play yet.

the thing with blood basically being a power-up/XP device was confusing at first. i think i get it. basically you get blood based on how you kill the bady (like by making him bleed) and then you can use it for special abilities, or make serums which can increas abilities of personalities.

if you need a certain personality in a certain place the map tells you. this is rad.

there are weird helper guys who speak funny, a robot maid thing that you save your game with, the ghost of your first kill who follows you around and of course invisible bad guys who laugh like the joker. so far, so good.  

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2005, 09:30:17 AM »
Are the puzzles as lame as lots of the reviews have made them out to be?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #84 on: July 11, 2005, 01:19:17 PM »
So far, I'd say No.  I'd say they're a step above RE1's puzzles cuz these were more amusing.  And let it be known that any puzzles reviews describe are spoilers.

The "boss fights" (however long or short) I find to be neat, because they're puzzles designed for the "shooting" phase.

My biggest disappoint with the game so far is that the map, on Normal difficulty, gives away TOO MANY hints -- mainly obviously blatantly specifically pointing out where a persona's special ability should be used and WHO to use.  Enough clues are given in-game to show you the way, more than Metroid Prime ever would.  It's unbalanced; the enemy difficulty is fine as it is, but the map reveals too much for my liking.

Offline G3cyco

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2005, 03:03:30 PM »
My gripes
doesnt show the bullets left in magizine
no marker on the map (just highlights the main room I'm in)
the repeative insta kill sayings (YOU'RE F*CKED)

other than that, I think the game is amazing

also, has anyone seen the white color cover? PGC posted a second cover.
http://www.touchdownlakers.com
"When I die, tell the media I always had a smile on my face"

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2005, 03:09:32 PM »
I use Kevin most of the time, so I don't hear much nor do I worry about reloading =P

No, I haven't seen the white cover in-stores at all.

Offline jakeOSX

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2005, 04:26:18 AM »
the puzzles are very RE, go get thing X which fits into board Y which opens Z to get item Q for ....

it is very much like an adventure game where combat is FPS. or RE for that matter. the invisible enemies is slightly annoying (translation: i died a bit a last night)

and when you try to explain what is going on to someone who has just come into the room... well, it sounds weird.

"ok, that is the ghost of your first kill, and those guys don't exist, and that is sorta a kupo."

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2005, 09:04:20 AM »

My biggest disappoint with the game so far is that the map, on Normal difficulty, gives away TOO MANY hints
Does that mean if you play on hard difficulty there aren't as many hints?  If so, is hard difficulty available from the start, or do you have to unlock it?
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2005, 10:10:25 AM »
Hard is available from the start.  I have not tried it yet, but one of its characteristics is the hints are reduced -- unfortunately, the combat is also supposed to be more difficult, and that's not what I'm asking for.

I think the combat is fine on "Normal," but I don't want so many hints.  I hope it doesn't turn out that "Normal" is actually "easy" and "Hard" is actually "normal", since the selection is asked of you at the beginning of the game just like the Resident Evil Remake.

I'll give "Hard" a try today.  If I can bear with it, then I'll restart my file since I don't think I'm far (only 3 chapters done).  I don't want the map hints, but if they take away the hints delivered during characters' interesting monologue, then I'll be in trouble.

Offline jakeOSX

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2005, 04:13:06 AM »
that being said, most of the hints you have to choose to read, since they are people to talk to. i talk to them not for the hints, but because i don't want to miss any plot...

didn't play last night though, stupid WoW...  

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 14, 2005, 11:38:56 AM »
Got this yesterday, finally got around to playing it.
First off, let me make it clear as to how incredibly awesome this game is.  The style (graphically as well as with the dialogue and plot) is great, the controls are very easy to get used to and I'm starting to actually enjoy the combat quite a bit, and the cinematics are really, really nice.  The revealing of the plot so far, as well as the bizarre cast of characters, has been very cool and satisfyingly disturbing.  This is definitely my type of game.
I find myself using Dan Smith the most, but Con, Kaede, and Coyote are my next choices.  I haven't used Kevin yet but want to, and I don't care for mask, since you don't reap any blood and he's too slow for my taste.  Though he is a cool character.
I like how they just threw you into it at the beginning of the game.  The plot, as well as the way it unfolds, has been cool.
There are too many hints, but I seldom use the map unless I need to, and I never shoot the mask (only did it once, out of curiosity).
First boss battle was interesting.  I'm loving this game so far.  I can see myself playing it over and over just to bask in the style and coolness of it all.
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Talon

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2005, 07:10:04 PM »
Well looks like killer7 has been delayed in Australia until next month says the store clerk at EB.  However dstore is saying it will be in on th 22nd of this month now instead of today. God damnit!!!
Whats at the end?
Whats at the end?
Whats at the end of Satan's rainbow?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2005, 07:48:00 PM »
did NAL forget to mention it's being shipped by sea turtle from Mexico?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2005, 07:17:13 AM »
Ok, I played a little bit more, still playing actually, still on disc1, near the end of the 4th chapter, Encounter pt.2, and I simply love the way the music changes right before and after passing the Gatekeeper, cuz at first it sounds very unsettling, then on the other side of the door it's all hip stuff, even tho it's just a staircase.

It's become another instant favorite of mine this gen based on my WTF (-.-)/ meter.

Hello, Mr. Smith <('.'^)

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #95 on: July 18, 2005, 11:28:54 PM »
[i beat the game]....

WTF WAS THAT?!

What's with this wacko game?

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 19, 2005, 08:48:43 AM »
So what's your recommendation?  Thumbs up or thumbs down?  Worth fifty bucks, or wait for a price drop?

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2005, 02:06:16 PM »
If you ask me or Hostile Creation, we're happy with our $50 purchases cuz we totally dig the atmosphere and the scenarios (controls were a non-issue a long time ago:  they work) -- but that's our tastes.  So yeah that would be a thumbs up from me.

Because it's difficult to describe, it's not easy to recommend.  RE4 was a smooth 3D action horror game, but clearly lacked the puzzles/adventuring of its predecessors.  killer7, on the other end of the spectrum, is about puzzles/adventuring with its own unique presentation & flavor.  If you can understand and follow the control scheme, and you're interested in the crazy reality this game offers, go for it.

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2005, 02:12:59 PM »
i too have recently beat the game - i'd give it thumbs up and everyone should play it just to get a taste of the wacky gameplay and storyline of this game

by the way - someone should start a thread on the storyline to this game - i'd like to hear what others think of it and what they think of the game after the ending (the ending is nuts)
i call the big one bitey.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2005, 03:16:07 PM »
YES, QUITE NUTS

non killer7-beaters, do not read!
The closer you come to the truth, old questions are answered, and new questions are asked.  It's another case of The Bigger Picture VS. the Origin(s) of your character(s) (and how they're intertwined).  WTF, Capcom?  Trying your hand at Metal Gear Solid craziness?

The "first" ending that occurs at the end of "Smile" deals with your character(s) while the 1 of 2 endings at the end of the mini-chapter, "Lion", is mostly related to your original assignment/story, the extermination of Heaven Smiles and the power struggles being manipulated by Kun Lan.  The whole chronology of the creation of the killer7 is wacko considering what you learn in "Encounter", and the original "Smith Syndicate" appears to be a separate precedent with its own mysteries -- THEY LEFT THINGS OUT ON PURPOSE GRAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR STOOPID CAPCOM!