Author Topic: Pikmin 2  (Read 18307 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Pikmin 2
« on: September 01, 2004, 07:55:44 PM »
Shock of shocks there is no topic yet for this amazing game.  I got a copy on Tuesday oddly enough as the brand new Best Buy in my area (one of like ten in all of Canada) actually had a game on the American release date instead of few days later.

I haven't played too much but so far I'm loving it.  Nintendo essentially took out everything that sucked about Pikmin and improved on everything else.  This is easily one of the best sequels they've done in recent memory.  I'm still getting used to using two characters at once though.  My only gripe is that there so far seems to be a lot of emphasis on the cave areas.  I personally prefer raising Pikmin in the overworld.  Removing the time limit is the best thing they could have done.  I love how if I want to I can just spend a day exploring or growing Pikmin without any worry that I'm not going to beat the game because of it.

Apparently there are two cases for the game.  Most people I've encountered have the "Lobster" cover while I (and any other Canadian I've talked to) have the "Pikmin on a branch" cover.  I prefer the branch cover though I'm curious to see which one is more common.

Offline Chongman

• LOL Breaking Tables is Cool!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Pikmin 2
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2004, 08:06:04 PM »

i think the lobster is more common in the US, but not sure
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
ooberage
------------
in the days of yesteryear I'm still playing SMB3, chrono trigger, and
reading calvin and hobbes

~*~*~*~
PSP vs NDS....c'mon...really...who in their right gaming mind will buy the PSP?

Believe...Nintendo
Stop....whining

Offline ib2kool4u912

• Prez Sez, SCHOOL IS FOR LOSERS
    • View Profile
RE: Pikmin 2
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2004, 09:25:53 PM »
Don't know which is more common, but i prefer the branch one by a lot.

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"But if that extra slot under the gamecube isn't for a hard drive then what the hell is it for?"

The Gamecube waffle iron.

"I have made this thread. It is mine. I call it. But I will share it with you."-KnowsNothing

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2004, 09:42:31 PM »
I have the "lobster" one.

I actually prefer the cave missions, mostly because they add challenge. The overworld is where you explore and raise Pikmin... the caves are where you use them, sort of like dungeons in an RPG or pretty much any game with dungeons.

There is no challenge to the enemies on the overworld, because even if you lose all your Pikmin you can just raise new ones. The first game got past this with the time limit... Pikmin 2 gets past this with the caves, where you can't raise additional Pikmin and every Pikmin counts.

I love the feeling of picking my 100 best Pikmin to venture into the unknown. It fulfills my "commander of crack covert ops squad" childhood fantasies adequately.

I bought Pikmin 1 but never got far into it because the time limit put me off... I hate time limits. I can already tell I'm going to be hooked to this one till I finish it though.  
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2004, 09:59:58 PM »
The local Zellers was selling copies with the branch cover.  

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2004, 10:35:16 PM »
This game sounds awesome.  Too bad I'm too damn cheap to spend $50 on anything.

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2004, 11:45:18 PM »
I love the time limit in Pikmin and i'm a bit worried that removing the time limit in Pikmin 2 has taken out a major strategy element from the game... the time limit kept the game balanced.

Offline Urafaerie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2004, 04:00:24 AM »
Canada = Branch
U.S. = Mixed bag (mostly lobster)

Atleast thats what I think.

And Mario, Pikmin 2 still has a lot of strategy, you can not build pikmin while under ground and the game as a whole is much longer and harder.  Im having a blast.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2004, 09:01:18 AM »
In New Jersey all the covers are the lobster ones (well the stores I went to) I bought Pikmin 2 the day when stores got it (Aug 31st) I dont mind it and Im loving Pikmin 2 its awesome exept for those evil enemies that look like that they have a loaf of bread as a body.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2004, 10:30:57 AM »
I've changed my mind...I'm going to go ahead and buy this game and pray I have enough money for the rest of the games I want later this year... <_<
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Gremio

• Pikmin Spores of Agony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2004, 11:16:06 AM »
I got the lobster boxart. No idea there even was an alternate (Pikmin on branch) boxart until after I already opened/started playing my copy. I would've preferred the branch boxart had I known.

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2004, 11:17:33 AM »
"I love the time limit in Pikmin and i'm a bit worried that removing the time limit in Pikmin 2 has taken out a major strategy element from the game... the time limit kept the game balanced."

thats the beauty of the new game- although there is no time limit in days, they still kept the sun timer so you must complete all of your tasks in the overworlds before nightfall- and if you are worried about loosing stategy dont- the new cave sections are the best parts of the game- you cant create new pikmin in the caves so you must carefully choose which pikmin to bring in- so if you go to a cave bringing only 10 red pikmin, thats all you will have through the entirety of the cave- also before you enter each cave an info bar appears showing which dangers lie ahead- so if you are worried about what pikmin to bring- dont- you just have to strategize and bring what you think is enough- say the bar highlighted the fire, water, and poison points- then you know to bring the corresponding pikmin- so you can beat the enemies and collect the treasure- also some caves house boss enemies so you better have enough pikmin to beat them or else you could be in trouble- as you could guess i love pikmin 2 and i say that the cave sections are the best parts of the game

also the lobster cover= best. cover art. ever.
i call the big one bitey.

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2004, 06:02:33 PM »
...can someone link me to the 2 different covers?

NOA is taking a long time with my copy, i REALLY WANT TO PLAY THIS GAME.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2004, 06:35:22 PM »
Here you go, Syl...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2004, 07:12:18 PM »
I like how they made the Pikmin more life like. They don't follow you like little zombie anymore occasionally triping. They sing a little sound and its kind of creepy at time listening to it in the caves.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2004, 07:25:43 PM »
inever noticed that hazy grub dog picture in the background of the branch art.

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2004, 07:46:28 PM »
Looking at them side by side, I like the lobster cover more.

Is it just me, or are the Pikmin smarter in this game? I got really annoyed when they got stuck or lost in the first, even when going through huge gates... but it seems to happen rarely in this game.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2004, 08:14:08 PM »
"Is it just me, or are the Pikmin smarter in this game? I got really annoyed when they got stuck or lost in the first, even when going through huge gates... but it seems to happen rarely in this game."

Actually I find just the opposite.  To me they seem dumber.  Whenever I get them to attack an enemy they'll attack and then after the enemy's dead they just stand there and I have to call them again.  In the first game if you attacked an enemy by swarming them your Pikmin would return to you right after (I think).  Plus in this game if I get 100 Pikmin out of the onion and then walk off before they all get out most of them stay by the onion.  In the first game they ran up to you.  It's minor stuff but it's bugging me and the further I get the less "perfect" this game seems to be.

Other minor notes: the damn ship keeps telling me how to do stuff it already told me about.  I keeps saying stuff like "Captain Olimar, you did tell Louie that the X button seperates the Pikmin, right?"  I KNOW THAT.  YOU JUST TOLD ME THAT YESTERDAY.  I know not everyone has played the first game so I don't expect them to totally leave you alone but I don't need to be told the controls more than once.

I tried the multiplayer today.  It rocks.  This game cries out for online play in a future sequel.  I unlocked the challenge mode as well yet it seems to be all caves.  Do they still have that mode where you try to grow as many Pokemon as possible within a day?  I loved that.  It was my favourite part of the first game.  If they replaced it for no reason I'm going to be pretty pissed off.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2004, 08:50:32 PM »
Ian: Wasn't it already a flaw in the first game that the game would tell you things like the Pikmin limit over and over again?

Offline PaLaDiN

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2004, 09:15:34 PM »
Yeah, I noticed that too about them standing by the enemy and the onions, but it seems to be intentional, not a part of their path-finding AI... it doesn't bother me at all.

What I was talking about is the rate of getting stuck... once Pikmin are under your control, they seem to get stuck on walls and gates and such less often.

And the game does have plenty of neat touches and such... I like how Louie automatically uproots buried Pikmin with you.

Haven't unlocked challenge mode yet but "all caves" would be just fine by me. I love the caves.

And KDR is right... I noticed that a LOT more in the first game. Here it's a lot more subtle and inconspicious... the computer at least says it in a different way most of the time it repeats something.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2004, 09:33:27 PM »
I like how the pikmin say Oh yea oh yea oh yea while they dig up burried treasures,

Offline BlkPaladin

• Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Minkmultimedia
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2004, 10:48:30 PM »
The other improvment I like is how they will pick the pellet up right after they cut down the flower not just coming back to you so you have to throw it at it.
Stupidity is lost on my. Then again I'm almost always lost.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2004, 06:43:15 AM »
Did anyone else get their free pikmin t shirt from circuit city??  It rocks.

"Obey the Captain"

=)
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2004, 08:38:18 AM »
DAMN promotion I got pikmin 2 at a gamestop.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2004, 02:00:03 PM »
I only got the game today but I must say it totally rocks. I started playing it and I just finished playing it for 7 straignt hours. I love it how there are alot more stuff to find and the two new extra pikmin are quite cool too. Only one thing I found annoying and that was in the beginning when they are repeating alot of the information I already know from Pikmin1. I will definately complete this game before I get bored and move on to another game.