Author Topic: share thoughts on these N64 games  (Read 5580 times)

Offline joeamis

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
share thoughts on these N64 games
« on: August 28, 2004, 04:51:43 PM »
Wow I couldn't believe it when I saw it, I went to Gamestop and whoa and behold there were a good 200 N64 games on the floor racks all up for sale! (most of the games were multiple copies). So being a videogame freak I decided to purchase all the great games I could find.  Heres the list and prices of the games I picked up tonight.

Wave Race 64 $4.99
The original WR, a must buy.

Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire $4.99
amazing game, enough said.

Doom 64 $7.99
best single player version of Doom to date.

Goldeneye 007 $7.99
no comment...

Perfect Dark $4.99
hehe, woot it's even in complete mint condition!

Star Fox 64 $4.99
awesome game, never got to play the single player parts, yet.

1080 Snowboarding $4.99
bought this the day it came out, glad to have it again.

N64 Rumble Pack (Nintendo) $1.99
wootness.

N64 Memory Card (Nintendo) $4.99
the first store had none of these, he said the 2nd possibly could have some type of memory card for N64, but it was highly unlikely... well... THEY DID!

N64 Console $19.99
it's been too long without you... also had to get this at the second store another 30 minutes away.

Pilotwings 64 $5.99
ah when I saw this, I smiled even more.

Excitebike 64 $12.99
never owned this, but had two friends who did, and I still think it's the best dirtbike racer to this day.

All together after the 10% discount of the used games + accessories, the total came to about $84 dollars.  Now I just need to buy the expansion pack which is quite expensive $20, and then I'm gonna pick up Mario Golf and Ogre Battle 64.  Share thoughts on these games, and any cool or humorous stories you had with them back in the day.  

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
RE: share thoughts on these N64 games
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2004, 05:18:30 PM »
Wave Race 64 $4.99
The original WR, a must buy.

--Definitely.

Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire $4.99
amazing game, enough said.

--from what I've heard, I can't reccomend it, could be wrong though

Everything looks like a bargain, except I probably wouldn't bother with the memory card, and make sure you at least get Majora's Mask if you plan to get the Expansion pack. I'm still waiting for the 64DD
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
RE:share thoughts on these N64 games
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2004, 08:29:02 PM »
I wasn't too up on SW:SOTE either until I traded some nes games to borrow it, I feel bad to this day because I was friends with the kid in school, and I traded him like 4 nes games and in return he let me borrow Final Fantasy 3 SNES and SW:SOTE.  Needless to say that was back in 1996 and we never ended up trading the games back, I kept 'forgettiing' to bring them to school.  But he never got that upset at all, I think at the time he was getting less into games.  But to sum it all up, SW:SOTE is an excellent game and underrated, and I would recommend it to anyone picking up old N64 titles in the future.  

Some of the games didn't work right off the bat, including the first one I put into to play and I started getting worried, but then they started working, and after cleaning the last two that didn't work, they started to work too.  Heres my first impressions (note: these are modern impressions, not how I viewed the games back in the day).

1080 Snowboarding: the sound is worse than I remember, both in technical quality and artistic quality (however I was quite impressed with the music back in the day so...).  Haven't played the game yet, but just seeing it again in motion had me thinking 'boy this game is sweet'.

Doom 64: I never played this game back in the day, my friend owned it.  Anyways it's held up alot better than I thought it would and was lots of fun.  The graphics really aren't that bad at all, as long as you don't mind the old Doom animations.  This game is underrated.

Excitebike 64: I was still playing this game at my friends place just back in 2002, however my memories of it were better, but then again I thought this game ruled the earth when it came out, I loved it that much.  Anyways, I know once I play it and unlock all the great stuff + make my own courses, I'll love it even more than ever.

Goldeneye: I've owned this game 3 times now.  The first time was when it released, the 2nd time was a couple years ago when I really didn't dig it anymore and sold it back, and this 3rd time I really do dig it again.  This game rules.

Perfect Dark: The interface isn't all that great by todays standards, and for the first time in my PD experience (3+ years) I noticed the frame rate chug at a moment.  Anyways I couldn't do much without the expansion pack which was too expensive to buy this night, but there's really nothing to say because this game is awesome.  The guns rule, and the way you switch between a weapons primary or secondary fire is perfect.  Great control implementation.

Pilotwings 64: Never owned it but played it alot, finally I can sit and have some real game time with it, it has me anticipating the rumored sequel alot.  Like the picture mode alot too.

Starfox 64: My only previous time with this game was in multiplayer and I thought it was great, after playing the first mission in single player I'm not too impressed but I'm sure I'll grow to love it quickly.  The voiceovers aren't that good at all though, but then again I guess they're pretty good for back when it was released.

Star Wars:SOTE: In addition to what i said above, I got this game at a time when there weren't many other N64 games available and I ended up playing it alot, and I'm glad I did this is one fantastic game, underrated.

Wave Race 64: fun... racing... waves... fun...

As for the memory card, I don't remember well how many games actually had battery saves, but already alot of the games I got require it.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2004, 05:28:12 AM »
Nice findings there you got a really awesome deal you should try hunting for Mario Tennis 64 its still in my N64 to this day. But I have to clean my controlers since a certain someone spilt soda in them.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2004, 05:44:56 AM »
Yes, Mario Tennis 64 is one of my favorite N64 games, and is really the only one I continuously go back to...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2004, 02:28:18 PM »
Ya I got Mario Tennis the day it came out and it was one of the best games for N64, I unfortunately sold it 2 years later along with my N64 to a suite mate of mine at college...  It's gonna be hard to find it again... doh

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2004, 07:16:03 PM »
ogre battle 64 = best rpg on the n64 (paper mario close behind)

that game is one of those games that you could spend countless hours on and still love it- definately a must have pickup
i call the big one bitey.

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2004, 05:24:10 AM »
Make sure you get Bomberman 64 (I had fun with single player, multiplayer is only so so, also awesome music) and Mischief Makers. Treasure. Shadows was my first n64 game ever, I loved it and played it for a long time, fizzuk the haters.
OUT OF DATE.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2004, 11:11:55 AM »
is Bomberman 64 the same as Bomberman Hero?  Cuz I saw Bomberman Hero there, but I can't remember all the games from back then.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2004, 11:17:36 AM »
Bomberman Hero is basically the inferior Bomberman 64-2...(Oh hey, I thought BM64's multi was rad!  Definitely a breath of fresh air from the usual 2d-box multi)

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2004, 07:27:45 PM »
thanks, hehe I know that now, as over the past few days I've been reading reviews on every N64 game I can.  Gamespot doesn't have all the "gems" that I'd like to get, but they do have a large assortment at decent prices, so I'm planning to buy more games that I overlooked back in the day, soon.  I'll be back with more on that subject, and also a modern review of some of the games I bought, in the review section, as I finish each game.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2004, 07:44:43 PM »
Update:  Today I purchased Quake and Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Caliber.  I have a feeling Ogre Battle 64 is the rarest game I currently own, I could be wrong though.  Anyways, I'm very excited to see what it's like.  Quake was $5 and Ogre Battle 64 was $25.  I used my Gamestop card for 10% off, and the coupon located in the September issue of Game Informer for another 10% off.  If you subscribe to GI, look for the coupons in that issue!  I'll post some first impressions of Ogre Battle 64 soon.

EDIT: Gamestop got more NES games in stock, I don't know if they will at your local store too, but the games were: Contra (8 copies), Mega Man 2, Tecmo Super Bowl, and Final Fantasy.  Unfortunately they were all priced extremely high $15-$18!  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2004, 06:14:07 AM »
Eh? O_O  When I picked up a copy of FF a year or two ago it was less than 10... :\

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2004, 06:44:12 PM »
yea, now that they no longer buy back nes, snes, dc, gen, and n64 games, and they're unloading their stockpile of them all, they know they can get away with selling them at high prices.

Offline Ocarina_Jedi

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2004, 02:39:45 PM »
Oh, so many years ago, I was introduced to the goodness that is starcraft.  At the time, I had neither a computer or interent connection that was good enought to justify buying Starcraft for my PC.  Instead I hit every Gamestop in my area for the n64 port.  I walked in one day and asked for Satrcraft:  "sure hang on a second..."..."for n64'....".....good luck finding that, man"   It was a very long time before I finally found it, and lemme tell ya, I paid out a lot more than I should have.  I played it continuously for months.  However, now that I have my own PC, and I am away at a university where we have a glorious ethernet connection, I play PC Starcraft obviously.  And that is my old n64 game story.

...and then i found 20 bucks....
I've gotta say what I've gotta say, and then I swear I'll go away, but I can't promise you'll enjoy the noise.

Offline MaleficentOgre

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2004, 06:53:31 PM »
I am a freak, I own two coppies of every ogre battle game to come out in the state, and I have one game that I think is japanese exclusive but I won't open it until I find a nother copy.    Ogre battle 64 is my favorite 64 game just because it is.  Its an amazing game and the 64's best rpg.  I also love jet force gemini which I just got last week for five bucks at a yard sale.

Offline Draygaia

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2004, 06:26:19 AM »
Well I look back at the old consoles and I really don't care anymore.  Some games I still do care about and will buy it but after a while its not really enough for me to recommend to anybody else.  The problem I have with games that I play with so many times they don't have the replay value I expect and want.  I like play OoT and play it again and again for a while then after that its like 1-3 years before I play it again.  It makes me wonder about the price I pay for it as opposed to a PC game that can reach half its original price within 1 year and have awesome replay value.
www.chickenpatrol.com  Don't just eat meat.  Eat chicken.

Offline joeamis

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2004, 09:18:54 PM »
Ocarina: I had never played a 'PC' RTS before, but I picked up Warcraft 2 for the PS1 and enjoyed it alot, my friend then told me about Starcraft and I got it for PC and loved it (still one of my all time favs) but I didn't have access to high speed internet except a few months per year, until last year full access.  I've been playing the game on and off for years now, like 4+, and I started making maps (ums) like Turret Defense sSs, a Pacman VS map (just like shiggys), etc.  I stopped playing it in July, and been on my consoles lately, but I'm sure I'll go back to it eventually... a definite classic for life.  I always wanted to try out SC 64 anyways, and almost bought it last year.  

MalificentOgre: My experience with Ogre Battle is limited, I saw a preview of Tactics Ogre for the SNES way back and so wanted it, but it never came out here, then I wanted to atleast try out OB 1 SNES, OB PS1, TO remake PS1, and I finally got my first Ogre Battle series game, Tactics Ogre for gba years ago (it rules), anyways I never really pondered on OB 64 I don't think (I forget) but I heard about it more and more years after it's released, so far I love the music (same theme as in TO KoL gba) and the graphics are sweet sprite blissness.
How would you rank each of your OB games?  Oh yea, I had JFG back years ago, found it for $20 and I liked it, it grows on you, I never finished it though, sold it for more games at the time.  Wanna get it again.

Draygaia: that is true about pc games, good thing they don't have to pay licensing fees.