Author Topic: Tales of Symphonia voice actors...  (Read 12235 times)

Offline Darc Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Tales of Symphonia voice actors...
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2004, 08:22:48 AM »
Yeah Jennifer Hale is great guys, she was also Bastila in KOTOR. Where does she find the time for all this voice acting? I don't understand the facsination with Japanese VA either. I don't know the language so how can I tell if they are using the proper tone? I can't.

Darc Requiem
"Fiery words fuel debate and debate yields understanding."

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2004, 09:46:58 AM »
Havent read all the replies, but isnt Lyoid the voice of Robin from Teen Titans? I'm really sure it is
"I can't read...im not a loser."~Master Shake

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2004, 10:20:18 AM »

Havent read all the replies, but isnt Lyoid the voice of Robin from Teen Titans? I'm really sure it is

Yep, he is indeed the voice of Robin in Teen titans (horrible comic, horrible show).

For anyone else who wants to peruse the voice actors of the game, check out IMDB's Tales of Symphonia profile.
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline WuTangTurtle

• aka ShaolinKilla
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2004, 11:26:48 AM »
Trust me it is harder than u think to actually know if there is emotion or not.  My parents are chinese and They always sound pissed off because they talk loud, especially on the phone, lol.

And if you ever listened to vietmanese ppl talking they sound really pissed off.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: Tales of Symphonia voice actors...
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2004, 11:54:56 AM »
And JPN-dubbed anime chicks sound HOT.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline ruby_onix

• Obsessive Sailormoon Fanatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2004, 12:12:15 PM »

I'm not sure if she's the same VA or not but Colette really sounds like Luna from Lunar.

Nope. Luna was played by Rhonda Gibson.

AFAIK, Working Designs doesn't really tap the "typical" voice acting group. Most of those Luna VA's credits are other WD games. Which makes it pretty surprising that they're usually as good or better than most other voice acting.
Poor people should eat wheat!
I'm about to go punk up some 3rd parties so they don't release games on other hardware, ciao!
- Ken Kutaragi

Offline Gremio

• Pikmin Spores of Agony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2004, 05:51:41 AM »

Originally posted by: ruby_onix

I'm not sure if she's the same VA or not but Colette really sounds like Luna from Lunar.

Nope. Luna was played by Rhonda Gibson.

AFAIK, Working Designs doesn't really tap the "typical" voice acting group. Most of those Luna VA's credits are other WD games. Which makes it pretty surprising that they're usually as good or better than most other voice acting.
Ah. I wasn't sure. I though she sounded similar but I guess it's just a similar type of voice. Thanks.

Offline Kyosho

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2004, 12:05:13 PM »
Japanese is one of those languages where it doesn't hurt the ears.  That's why people tend to think there's more emotions.  It's distinct (if by reading the subs) when they are yelling or talking sincere.  On the other hand, I obviously prefer american voice actors to american games.  However, I think people need to leave foreign titles alone with the dubbing or at least give the option to people to hear it.  If they want to dub it, first and most important thing is the script.  Make it flow.  THen work with the actors/actresses.  On the topic of foreign languages, I speak mandarin and understand a little Japanese.  

Offline Bartman3010

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2004, 01:22:07 PM »
I think people like Japanese voices just to look cool...

...okay not all of them, but a great number of so-called otakus.

For example, people like the Japanese voices over american voices in the Sonic games.

To me, Sonic sounds even more ridiculous trying to pronounce engrish.
- Bartman

Mario Kart DS - 111728-668174
Metroid Prime Hunters - 3866-1460-2555
Tetris DS - 105680-429364

(Send PM if interested, you probably arent)
Better yet, check out #mariokartds on Esper.net, featuring the FriendCodeBot!

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2004, 02:44:05 PM »

Originally posted by: Bartman3010
I think people like Japanese voices just to look cool...
Give the man a prize!  ^.^d
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2004, 06:08:18 PM »
MAN I LOVE THIS GAME.

Offline Shin Gallon

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2004, 07:29:10 PM »
Okay, now that the game's out, can anyone tell me if there is indeed an option to turn on the Japanese voices? I know I can turn off the voice, but I'd like to hear some voice acting in the game, but only if it's the real voices...
"Friends don't let friends watch dubbed anime."

http://shingallon.com

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2004, 07:42:05 PM »
No such option.

~~~~~

Battle voices are just as jarring and noisy as Tales of Phantasia's (SNES build), regardless of language.  It's just missing the charming Engrish factor we would've gotten otherwise.

*THUNDARR PLAY-DOH!!?*

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2004, 07:48:16 PM »
Argh...

The voice acting is very well done...  And it is the REAL voices...its the REAL voices for the american release.

On a side note...  Professional, your Daisy infatuation gets freakier every day.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline DaTwig

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2004, 07:50:07 PM »
Hey do you guys know any fansites?  I wanna get some wallpaper of ToS.
Xx Da Twig xX

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2004, 08:32:41 PM »
I have not seen ONE dedicated Tales of Symphonia fan site yet.

http://tales.namco.com  may have some artwork you might like.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2004, 03:12:40 AM »
I stand corrected.  VJ's voice talent is Dee Bradley Baker, not Scott Menville.  But sheesh, they sounds awfully similar.

Am I crazy?

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2004, 06:18:27 PM »
I don't care what anybody says...... (Actually, I do..... I'm just really dedicated.....) My sister and I are ignoring what the internet says and we say that Kratos is voiced by Dan Green. You know... Yami Yugi and Yugi Motou from YuGiOh? Or, Knuckles from Sonic X? Siiiiiiigh.... Even though we've never seen his face, we have fallen in love with his voice..... Just like Anzu Masaki from YuGiOh... (Tea Gardner... For all you none Shonen Jump readers... O_O)
Yami-Yugi: But I though--

Duke Devlin: It's my turn again!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2004, 07:52:58 PM »
And we'll ignore you becuz you watch YugiBear-o?

Offline Cube_King

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2004, 12:05:46 AM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
And JPN-dubbed anime chicks sound HOT.

word.
"A bad game is bad forever, but a good game is even better..........." Shigeru Miyamoto

Offline CHEN

• These peas taste AWESOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2004, 01:42:56 PM »
Voice acting is a professional job in Japan, you could make a living out of it. Just watch a random anime DVD with both English and Japanese audio. You can hear the differences in quality pretty well when you zap between languages. You don't have to understand both languages to judge the quality of voice acting. That's just nonsense. There are exceptions of course, but often the Japanese edges out when it comes to professionalism. Not a thousand times better, but close. The quality of English dubbing is getting better though, so over a few years it could be on the same level.

Prof. 666, amen to that.

Offline mouse_clicker

• Pod 6 is jerks!
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2004, 04:32:43 PM »
What, and voice acting isn't a professional job in America? What the hell are you talking about? Have you ever heard of Billy West? John DiMaggio? Mel Blanc? Dan Castlenetta? David Herman? Daws Butler? Nancy Cartwright? Frank Welker? Hank Azaria?  
"You know you're being too serious when Mouse tells you to lighten up... ^_^"<BR>-Bill

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2004, 04:39:08 PM »

Originally posted by: mouse_clicker
What, and voice acting isn't a professional job in America? What the hell are you talking about? Have you ever heard of Billy West? John DiMaggio? Mel Blanc? Dan Castlenetta? David Herman? Daws Butler? Nancy Cartwright? Frank Welker? Hank Azaria?

IMDB has if you haven't.

Oh and I don't know if this mystery game was voiced by Japanese actors or Americans, but it is so craptastic it's golden. LISTEN!!!!
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline Syl

• O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 31, 2004, 05:25:08 PM »

Originally posted by: CHEN
Voice acting is a professional job in Japan, you could make a living out of it. Just watch a random anime DVD with both English and Japanese audio. You can hear the differences in quality pretty well when you zap between languages. You don't have to understand both languages to judge the quality of voice acting. That's just nonsense. There are exceptions of course, but often the Japanese edges out when it comes to professionalism. Not a thousand times better, but close. The quality of English dubbing is getting better though, so over a few years it could be on the same level.

Prof. 666, amen to that.

Actually, A large majority of the voice acting in japan ISN'T done professionally.

On *MANY MANY* Different anime's a character is being voiced by some famous pop star, usually the one who does the opening or ending credit.

For instance, in R.O.D -The TV- Mememe was voiced by the same Pop Star who sung the ending theme to the show.  This is actually incredibly common, and in no way an exception.  

A *VERY* large part of the thinking japanese voice acting is superior just has to do with the fact that you have no clue about whats being said or how its supposed to be implied.  Hell, all japanese voice acting might just be overacted or acted horribly theres no way to tell.  

Offline Cube_King

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2004, 12:34:22 AM »
The reason I'd prefer Japanese voices over English IS because I cant understand them. There's nothing like horrible voice acting to ruin a great game. Voice actors can sound so unbelievably retarded sometimes but if its in Japanese, and as long as I cant understand them, I dont really mind.
"A bad game is bad forever, but a good game is even better..........." Shigeru Miyamoto