Author Topic: Your pet peeves *in* games?  (Read 17086 times)

Offline DrZoidberg

• Secreted by the Internet Bee
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:Your pet peeves *in* games?
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2004, 09:40:35 PM »

Originally posted by: S-U-P-E-R

Originally posted by: RCmodeler

POWERSLIDES:I also don't like racing games that claim to be recreating reality (Daytona USA), but allow you to "slide" around corners. On dirt, yes, but on macadam? No Way. When the car loses traction, and the tires are squeeling, you're screwed. Time to kiss the wall.

Der derrr de durrr durrrp

http://www.onewest.net/~superty/ae86.wmv

that isn't realistic, if it was real he'd smash into a wall while singing DAAAAAYTONNNNNNNNAHHHHHHHHHHH.

for expert drifto watch the 54th second and onward, that part is amazing am i rite

august is drifto month
OUT OF DATE.

Offline ABlueflameA

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2004, 05:04:53 AM »
I'm really starting to hate block/crate/box puzzles.  Yeah! I get to push a block onto a switch again!  Its not like I haven't done it 100000000000 times before, but this time its soo original because there's 10 boxes and 10 switches!  That must mean its approximately 100 times the fun!  *&#%*(&$#% boxes....

I also dislike, as someone else stated, having to watch a cutscene or go through dialogue a second (or third, fourth or 5th) time after dying.  You should ALWAYS be able to skip past a dialogue/cutscene/FMV if you want to.

Oh, I just remembered: Cheap-ass computer opponents!  They cheat! I swear!  Just go play Mario Kart on Gamecube at 150cc or mirror mode in Grand Prix.  You can have as big a lead in first as you'd like, but then you're gonna get hit by 5 spiny blue shells, 4 red shells, a giant koopa shell, and then when ALL the computer opponents pass you they'll all drop banana peels and fake item boxes.  When I'm in last place I get bananna peels and green shells.  What the hell?  There are 100's of other examples of cheap computers, how I hate thee!

-Blue
Yea! Ramen!

Offline evil intentions

• winged people + card battling = suck
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2004, 08:23:38 PM »
I hate racing games.  I mean they're fun for a while, but after a while I get sick of them.

I hate it when games suck. That's really annoying.

*Sigh* Don't we all hate it when games suck.
Quote<BR> Originally posted by: Hostile Creation<BR>
But yea, dead when muted was my intention. . . EVIL INTENTION THAT IS ha ha ha.
<BR><BR>Buy Baten Kaitos..you

Offline Smashman

• View Profile
RE: Your pet peeves *in* games?
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2004, 08:31:10 PM »
Water levels. Like in the Mario games, the water-based levels, where you have to tediously swim through water. I hate levels like that, and they make me zzzzZZZZZZzzzz. In OoT, the Water Temple is my least favorite dungeon.
I am the one and only Smashman. Don't believe me? Well, then. I shall entomb you!

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2004, 09:21:23 PM »
I hate:

flashing graphics (Atari Pacman)
having to pause and switch items all the time (Zelda)
not having any items (3D Marios)
any type of collecting
AHG I hate just reading the word DAAAAAYTONNNNNNNNAHHHHHHHHHHH
oh well more later maybe
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2004, 09:51:41 PM »

AHG I hate just reading the word DAAAAAYTONNNNNNNNAHHHHHHHHHHH
OIC
DAAAAAYTONNNNNNNNAHHHHHHHHHHH

August is drifto month

I'm really starting to hate block/crate/box puzzles.
BLASPHEMY. I DEMAND YOU REMOVE CRATES FROM THERE. CRATES ROCK. GOLDENEYE WOULD HAVE BEEN HALF AS GOOD WITHOUT CRATES!!!!

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2004, 04:58:43 AM »

Originally posted by: ABlueflameA

I also dislike, as someone else stated, having to watch a cutscene or go through dialogue a second (or third, fourth or 5th) time after dying.  You should ALWAYS be able to skip past a dialogue/cutscene/FMV if you want to.

-Blue

While I agree for the most part, it sucks when you accidently skip a cut scene- in MGS2, when Solidus and Ocelot are talking, i was all like talk faster and was pressing buttons.  The cutscene ended to my dismay .  DAMN you, Kojima, for thinking of us!!!11!  
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline RCmodeler

• banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2004, 07:59:32 AM »

Originally posted by: Infernal Monkey

Originally posted by: RCmodelerAs for Resident Evil's doors/stairs animations: (1) loading time on the N64 carts is zero.  It wasn't necessary to insert the animations...waste of gamers' time.  (2) Loading times on PS2/GC are less than a second... again, no need to insert those stupid animations.  IMHO if Metroid Prime can provide a smooth transition, so too can/should Resident Evil Zero.
Shadowgate 64 had to load, too. ;
Carts don't have loading times.  They are memory...instantaneous.  There's no excuse for door/stair animations in RE2 on the N64.

And DVDs, it might not be a second, but it's short enough that the 10 second door/staircase animations are not necessary.  When you walk room-to-room in Eternal Darkness, there's no stupid animation.  If ED can do it, so too can RE.
Disclaimer: The message you just read is my opinion.  If you do not like my opinion, I apologize in advance.  Please explain where my opinion is wrong or fallacious.  Thank you. -----  PLAY GAMES FOR FREE! -   http://www.atariguide.com

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2004, 05:33:14 PM »
Random battles in RPG's.  They should never have existed - period.

Offline Myxtika1 Azn

• The Master of the Fists
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2004, 03:04:09 AM »

Carts don't have loading times.  They are memory...instantaneous.

Have you ever played Street Fighter Alpha 2 on the SNES?   It has load times up the ass!

500 years ago, I shook the Pillars of Heaven.  Why should I fear a runt like you?

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2004, 03:32:18 AM »
World Championship Leaderboard (hilarious golf game where hitting the ball out of bounds causes the game to hang) on Master System has loading times, also. Laffo at Internet.

Offline enigma487

• Scalar, The Destructor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2004, 10:04:07 PM »
first of all, that video is out of control.

and speaking of control, my pet peeve in video games is when control is relative to a character, and not to the screen.  a friend of mine tried to get me to play Galerians on PSX one time, i quit before i got out of the first room.  if i want to walk to the left of the tv screen, i'm going to press left, not forward so the character walks forward.  %#)*&$&*#%$*!!!!!!!

Offline evil intentions

• winged people + card battling = suck
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2004, 07:43:27 PM »
I hate golfing games.  What's the point?
Quote<BR> Originally posted by: Hostile Creation<BR>
But yea, dead when muted was my intention. . . EVIL INTENTION THAT IS ha ha ha.
<BR><BR>Buy Baten Kaitos..you

Offline RCmodeler

• banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2004, 03:41:14 AM »

Originally posted by: Myxtika1 AznHave you ever played Street Fighter Alpha 2 on the SNES?   It has load times up the ass!
It has lots of built-in pauses by the programmer to achieve an effect... those are not loading events.  Cartridge memory is instantaneous from the human point-of-view.  There's no such thing as waiting with a cart.  

So given that a cart has no loading time, the "loading screens" in RE2 for the N64 were not necessary.  
Disclaimer: The message you just read is my opinion.  If you do not like my opinion, I apologize in advance.  Please explain where my opinion is wrong or fallacious.  Thank you. -----  PLAY GAMES FOR FREE! -   http://www.atariguide.com

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2004, 04:07:25 AM »
Carts have limited bandwidth and it can take sometime to shift large blocks of data from the cart to the ram. Especially with older systems the limited CPU power can become an issue as well (since any byte block transfer takes CPU power). Let's take the C64: Even if you have the data, writing the stuff to the correct memory positions will take time. I coded things that stored their entire data in the RAM, yet it took multiple seconds (or at least a noticeable amount of time) to stuff the 63 bytes into the sprite positions (with efficient coding and languages this will go faster, but with complex programs you'll have to do this very often). The SNES has 3.5 MHz, the C64 has 1, but you're shifting around larger amounts of data (a background image, for example, might eat a lot of time).

Offline RCmodeler

• banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2004, 03:13:31 PM »
What you say may be true, but I hardly think it's an issue with the 100 MHz N64.  Games like Majora Mask pushed the N64 to its limits with tons of graphical data moving around, but it never once had a loading screen pop-up.  I don't see why it's necessary for RE2.  

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2004, 08:58:14 PM »
RE2 is probably a shoddy port or the people porting it didn't realize the door anim wasonly to cover up load times or something, but that Streetfighter thing sounds reasonable.

Offline RCmodeler

• banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2004, 03:17:10 AM »
Considering that RE2 is the *only* N64 game with full motion videos, I don't think "the prgorammers didn't know what they were doing" is an accurate statement.  Clearly they pushed the boundaries further than anyone else.

And, I still don't see why these door/stair animations are needed for RE on DVD consoles.  Eternal Darkness, Metroid Prime, Final Fantasy, yada yada yada.... they don't need them.  Neither should Resident Evil.  It just looks cheesy.

Offline SgtShiversBen

• I'M NOT AN ALIEN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2004, 08:03:55 AM »
According to sources and some pretty old magazines I still have, the reason why they kept the door swings in there is not to load, but for aesthetic purposes.  The designers, Angel Studios, thought that to keep the tradition of the RE, they should put in the door swings because it gives the sense of dreading what's on the next side.  I feel that's true because those RE games wouldn't be the same without the door scenes.  Sure it gets tiresome sometimes, but what game doesn't?  Now with RE4 they're not putting it in because that game is more about action.  So yeah, that's what the door scenes are all about.
"The next step is already being prepared for Revolution. [It's] not just a portable, not just a console -- it's exactly what we wanted in that it's the birth of a completely new platform." - Youichi Wada [Square Enix]

Offline Berny

• Seriously.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2004, 12:09:01 PM »
Yeah I liked the door animations. They should go for some variation and zoom in on the door and have it suddenly burst open occasionally. Woo! Spooky. Omega Pirate was the most annoying boss I've ever fought. Annoyingly hard. Oh and the Peahats in LOZ. Damn those things suck. They don't die and they fly in random pattersn....and the boulders. Ugh. And those Zora things that shoot ya from way out at sea so you can't strike back. Yeah. Grrr....
has 6 gmail invites. wants to rid himself of them. email for gmail.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2004, 09:53:48 PM »
Omega Pirate? Hard? Are you nuts or did you simply miss the power bombs and super missile?

Offline Infernal Monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2004, 12:58:50 AM »

Considering that RE2 is the *only* N64 game with full motion videos, I don't think "the prgorammers didn't know what they were doing" is an accurate statement.  Clearly they pushed the boundaries further than anyone else.

Nup, Gex 3 and Starcraft 64 also had full motion video.

Offline RCmodeler

• banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2004, 02:37:41 AM »
Let me be more specific: RE2 had *pre-recorded MPEG movies* transferred from the PS1 discs... making it the largest cart ever made (64 megabytes).  Those other games you mentioned were not movies...they were live console-generated cutscenes.

Offline Infernal Monkey

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2004, 05:27:54 AM »
Except they were movies. 'Live generated cutscenes' (wtf) would be like, cinemas using the in-game engine. Much like Zelda: OoT's bits. StarCraft 64 and Gex 3 both had full motion video sequences (or 'pre-recorded MPEG movies', if you will). You should try playing them or something.

Offline RCmodeler

• banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2004, 12:35:33 PM »
Okay.  Are the MPEG movies good quality?