Author Topic: If you were making a new Rogue Squadron...  (Read 3428 times)

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
If you were making a new Rogue Squadron...
« on: March 24, 2004, 01:39:11 PM »
What would you add or remove from the current  series?  I think it has been pretty evident that the ground missions would be the first to go.  If I were going to put suggestions forth, I would like to put  whole new set of abilities in.  If any of you have read any of the X-Wing series, you would notice that the pilots have the ability to use rudder pedals (cause the craft to rotate left or right).  Now I'm not suggesting that Nintendo make a set of rudder pedals for 1 game.  But somehow incorperate it into the next game.

The use of repulsor lifts would also be a good addition.  You could literally move straight up while still facing forwards. You can also bounce off cliffs if you are flying parrallel to them.

I know that there are supposedly shields in the previous 3 games but they aren't really there.  That gauge is more hull integrity than shield strength.  You should be able to shunt power from engines/lasers to shields and the like.  You should also be able to choose where to put your shield strength, ie, all power to rear shields while leaving your nose exposed.  If you've played freespace 1/2 you know what I mean.

Now I know that there is probably no chance that this could be done on the current controller.  But still I'm just dreaming here.  What would you do to change it??  

Offline Chongman

• LOL Breaking Tables is Cool!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:If you were making a new Rogue Squadron...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 05:12:41 PM »
Those are all great ideas Mc nostril :-)

MY thought on the whole matter is they should STOP MAKING THE SAME GAME. Can't they like...give us some future star wars action not directly related to the movies? I mean flying through the forests of endor's moon is GREAT and all, but I think there are so many greater possibilites outside the constrictions of the movies.

I suppose though that if that were to happen, it would not longer be "rogue leader" so oh well...
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
ooberage
------------
in the days of yesteryear I'm still playing SMB3, chrono trigger, and
reading calvin and hobbes

~*~*~*~
PSP vs NDS....c'mon...really...who in their right gaming mind will buy the PSP?

Believe...Nintendo
Stop....whining

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
RE: If you were making a new Rogue Squadron...
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 05:20:01 PM »
They're not gonna give up until they give us a full-scale hydraulic cockpit of an X-wing placed in front of a 3D projector.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 05:23:01 PM »
Id love if if they made it based on the X-Wing  Rouge Squadron or the Wraith squadron. A Wraith Squadron game would be cool, it could have Space Ship sequences and then some Metal Gear Solid Sequences. And you know the Stealth Action is popular

Offline theRPGFreak

• OVERLORD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 05:44:57 PM »
I WOULDN'T MAKE A NEW ONE!!! THEY BORE ME TO DEATH!!! HAHAHA!!!
"I can't read...im not a loser."~Master Shake

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 06:51:16 PM »
"STOP MAKING THE SAME GAME."

Agreed.  Rebel Strike was worth it for the multiplayer but it felt really redundant.  I can think of only two reasons to even continue the series.  If they could add online multiplayer that would be worth making a new game for.  The ability to play with a whole squadron of human players would rock.  That seems more like an idea for the N5 though.  The other option is to make a game with Rogue Squadron gameplay that takes place in the prequel world.  The ideal thing is to wait until Episode III comes out and then make the game based on all three movies.

Or they could just leave it as a trilogy.  No matter what though no land missions unless they can make them not suck.

Offline Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2004, 07:29:46 PM »
I think that, if they were to make a new one, stick with the same strategy only they could ask for some help from Nintendo for the land missions. I mean factor5 has done a lot for the Gamecube, the least Nintendo could do is help them with a portion of one of their games.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2004, 07:33:15 PM »
You didn't like the Contra-style jumping Madness!?  HAHAHAHAAHAH

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2004, 07:51:25 PM »
They should buy the rights to Giana Sisters from Spellbound and make a "sequel" to that. AFAIK they have two out of the three people who made GS (Armin Gessert went to Spellbound and took the rights with him...). If they still have Chris Hülsbeck I'd love to hear that guy make music again...

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2004, 09:03:18 PM »
How about doing a 180 degree turn and let you fly for the Empire?  Like TIE Fighter.  That would be hell of a lot of fun.....

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2004, 10:01:01 PM »
Or a Harvest Moon: Star Wars Edition where you live your life as a farmer who goes through everyday farming life and has to deal with oppressive Imperials every so often.

Offline Oldskool

• Maker of Fine Straitjackets since 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2004, 07:09:46 AM »
What if the next game was based on the X-Wing Rogue Squadron novels... Imagine the Battle for Coroscant, dozens of Alliance cruisers and Imperial Star Destroyers blasting each other, with 100's of tie fighters and X-wings, and your just one of em. And if Factor 5 HAD to include ground missions, they could use the Imperial Commando raid on the Rogues base for a stealth mission.
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. Smells like victory!"

Proudly using my Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D laptop.

Offline evilnate

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2004, 09:12:31 AM »
I think that there are only three good possibilities for a "continuation" of the Rogue Squadron series (although all are more like spin-offs), and all have been mentioned in this thread.

1) A game centered on the prequal trilogy:  Actually, they already did this with Battle for Naboo, but a natural follow-up to that game would be to cover episodes 2 and 3.  Plus, I would love to see Factor 5's take on the Battle of Geonosis.  I'll never forget the day that I first bought my Gamecube and Rogue Leader.  The Death Star level was impressive, but I'd seen it in the store.  The first jaw-dropping moment that I got from my Cube however, was when I started the Battle of Hoth level.  Never before in any movie-tie in game had I really felt like I was playing a scene from the movie.  The Battle of Hoth level did that, and I think that Factor 5 could do the same to the Battle of Geonosis (and what ever is in Episode III).

2) A "Tie Squadron" game, where you fly for the Empire.  Playing as the bad guys would be cool, something that "Tie Fighter" proved.  Interestingly, even though that's one of the most popular Star Wars games ever, no one has ever done a follow-up to it.  So just as the Rogue Squadron games are the "arcady" cousins to the X-Wing games, a "Tie Squadron" game could be the same for "Tie Fighter".  You'd have to stay away from most of the movie action scenes since the Rebels always win, but they could be more like the last level in Rogue Leader where the Empire "strikes back"

3) An online multiplayer game.  This was hinted at as something that Factor 5 would like to do in the EGM article about Rogue Squadron.  It could be a lot of fun, especially with voice chat.  Of course, as Ian has pointed out, this is something that might be best left for the next generation, but there's always room for surprises (such as this possible third party, online and free RPG "Homeland" that PGC just reported on).  I'm kind of thinking that this rumored "Battle Squadron" game might acually be this, and I really hope that it's not an X-box exclusive.

Anyway, that's my opinion.  The neat thing about Star Wars is that unlike most movie tie in games, that there's enough gameplay variations that really good games can be based on it.  I think though that we all agree that Factor 5 should stick to arcade flight!

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2004, 04:47:54 PM »
Well according to IGN no more Factor 5 Games for the Cube... Thats a blatant crime, especially Since their games have been on Nintendo systems

Offline Uncle Rich AiAi

• Abandoner
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2004, 05:42:43 PM »
Well according to AiAi, he thinks IGN are a bunch of idiots.  How reliable is their source?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2004, 06:54:00 PM »
IGN said no Lucasarts games.  Technically that's different from Factor 5.  That means no more Star Wars games from Factor 5 but it doesn't mean that Factor 5 can't work with a different publisher (like say Nintendo).

The Lucasarts thing kind of pisses me off though.  "Hey thanks for making Rogue Leader a success.  Here's a knife in the back."  Apparently Rebel Strike didn't sell as well as they expected.  Well let's see.  Did anyone really WANT another Rogue Squadron game that's set in the same timeline as the other games?  Not really.  It's not like there was a huge demand or anything.  It was an unneeded sequel and one that wasn't all that great either so they shouldn't expect as high of sales.  Gladius sold poorly as well.  Okay then but did you see ANY promotion of any kind for it?  I sure didn't.  It's the usual routine where third parties just release games and assume we're going to buy it regardless of game quality or marketing.  If it's not a good game or it's not advertised it's YOUR fault it sold bad not ours.  I don't think unadvertised releases sell that great on the PS2 either they just sell better because of the bigger userbase so we get screwed and they don't.

I think third parties should release only at most five games a year spread around different months.  Otherwise it's just too much product for us to digest and it's often mediocre as well.  And with less product every release a company has can be hyped up.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2004, 07:25:18 PM »
Isn't Factor 5 working on a Pilotwings game for Nintendo?

Demanding any intelligence from Lucas Arts is demanding too much. ell, they cancelled Sam & Max, which was 3-4 months from release because "there's no market".

Offline TracerX

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2004, 08:38:50 PM »
All I know is I'd make sure in the next one that you got to play a hoth level...

TrX
-----
Oh yeah, ooh, ah, that's how it always starts, but then later there's running, then screaming. -Dr. Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park:The Lost World

Offline Termin8Anakin

• Auuuu =\
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2004, 03:07:08 AM »
The thing with Rogue Quadron series is that that they are just essentialy the same game. So they get boring very easily.
With the ground missions, it was all just shoot and shoot and shoot. Nothing else, really. If Factor 5 want to make a new Star Wars game, make it like Jedi Knight or KOTOR. Sure there will be vehicular levels and stuff, for which they are famous for, but I'm sick of doing level after level with no real story to connect them (other than the fact that they are the 'deleted stories' not from the trilogy). Let's face it, Battle of Endor is getting old. It's not really the great resolution/conclusion to a game that it used to be.
Comin at ya with High Level Course Language and Violence

Offline Perfect Cell

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2004, 04:40:52 AM »
Rouge Squadron was also one of the more popular series, basically saving the GCNS launch. The rest of the launch titles were mediocre in comparison. Luigis Mansion? That really sucks by Lucasarts...

Offline Oldskool

• Maker of Fine Straitjackets since 1997
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2004, 04:55:17 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
Isn't Factor 5 working on a Pilotwings game for Nintendo?

Demanding any intelligence from Lucas Arts is demanding too much. ell, they cancelled Sam & Max, which was 3-4 months from release because "there's no market".

They...Cancelled...it... WHAT!!!
"I love the smell of napalm in the morning. Smells like victory!"

Proudly using my Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo D laptop.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2004, 03:08:13 PM »
I personally like the series.  I would also like to see the X-wing and A-wing mark-2 in the games as well.  I've seen the new X-wing and it looks sweet.  They should make a new one eventually shouldn't they??

Offline GoldShadow1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2004, 08:43:11 PM »
Multiplayer.  Come on, the series was practically *made* for it.  You already have wingmates flying around basically doing the same thing you are - shooting TIE's, etc.  From a purely gameplay standpoint, it would be easy to incorporate.

GOOD on-foot options.  I haven't played RS3, but I think on-foot gameplay could work with the right controls.  I'm talking Jedi Knight II controls!  However, the on-foot stuff should always complement the vehicles, not have totally separate missions - i.e., perhaps your X-Wing is shot down, but at the last minute you parachute (or whatever the Star Wars equivalent is) and have to survive long enough to reach another ship.  Or maybe in multiplayer, one person has to land and infiltrate a base in order to disable the base's shields or something, while the other has to distract the enemies in his ship long enough for the first player to get in.  Or maybe a strategy is to land, climb up a AT-AT, enter the vehicle, shoot the driver in the back of the head and then take control.  The idea is to create a dynamic flow between on-foot and vehicular gameplay.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2004, 01:39:39 PM »
Add a new concept element that can enrich gameplay or make the onfoot missions better. Perhaps a full game co-op instead of just Rogue Leader 2 part. And Co-op could have a higher difficulty than single mode to compensate of having 2 human players, or go to Ikaruga route and have CO-OP players share lives.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.