Author Topic: E3 Predictions 2012 - Bingo Edition  (Read 8798 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
E3 Predictions 2012 - Bingo Edition
« on: May 31, 2012, 12:58:49 PM »

We decided to make a game out of the madness of E3.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/feature/30326

Taking cue from places like NeoGAF, we decided to present our E3 2012 predictions in Bingo card form. Each contributing staffer was tasked with filling out a card with what they think will happen at E3, ranging from the normal to the outlandish.

Play along if you like and use the template we made, which is below.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
Re: E3 Predictions 2012 - Bingo Edition
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 01:42:50 PM »
I think I recently came across an Iwata quote somewhere that said Nintendo wouldn't reveal price or launch date at E3, so that almost certainly starts me off with one filled and one unfilled space on my bingo card.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 06:12:07 PM »
I know this is going to be about the most spaces filled and maybe about who gets closest to bingo, but I can't believe Retro Zelda is mentioned here twice... I still just find that unbelievable.

It would be awesome if it happened, but I highly doubt it, unless Neal knows something we don't...

But yeah, some good predictions here, I suppose. Just makes me more excited for the days to come...
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 06:39:20 PM »
Writing this I was thinking that all my predictions were very possible... But now I'm second guessing EVERYTHING and wouldn't be surprised to see most of my predictions go unfulfilled.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 07:02:34 PM »
Disappointed that nobody went with "My free space is ready".

Edit:

Explanations where needed:
1 - Remember when Nintendo announced Miyamoto was going to work on smaller projects last year? One of those will be announced at E3, and will be the big game for the eShop.

2 - Xenoblade, Mario Kart (35/5) and every Layton game made their debuts in the press stuff Nintendo's sent out post-presser. The tradition continues this year.

5 - None of the 3DS games shown will take real advantage of the CPP.

10 - In addition to Miyamoto, we'll hear from Nicalis, Terry Cavanaugh (the V*6 guy) and... dare I say Jonathan Blow?

16 - Whatever Retro's doing is going to be holiday 2013 at the earliest.

19 - Something along the lines of a Total War game or a Warhammer RTS will use the tablet as its input mechanism.

20 - Silicon Knights just announced they're appealing the Epic lawsuit. They're not going to have anything ready for E3... certainly not an ED2.

24 - Probably should have marked this one already.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 07:28:08 PM by Shaymin »
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline StrawHousePig

• a tag
  • Score: -8
    • View Profile
    • Title available upon http request.
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 12:37:32 AM »
No bullcrap website integration! Imagine the Wii with Myspace integrated in everything you do! Awesome! *not* *barf-me-out*
Old gamers never die, we just run out of quarters.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 12:47:07 AM »
@Evan_B - I don't see why it's ridiculous. I believe Aonuma has made comments about wanting to cut down the gap between Zelda games, and Miyamoto even made that "well, it'd be cool if Retro made a Zelda game." That's the kind of crap that I can see being brought up in an Iwata Asks by Aonuma as he's like "I thought Shigeru blew it all open, but people just didn't believe. It's a good thing you never made that swimming game! (laughs)."
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 01:23:15 AM »
I am staying off the hype train. I am going to sit back and watch the train wreak that is going to be E3. Any chance you have bingo cards for the opfor?
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 03:02:19 AM »
I think we should add "New Super Mario Bros. 2 / Wii U has a level editor and online level sharing."
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline famicomplicated

• The OG Japan Correspondent
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 04:43:38 AM »
I have a good feeling about mine. I am excite to the max!!
I am your (Fami)father.
Follow me on Twitter for some #hypertrollGET fun.
Troll with love, not hate.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 11:12:11 AM »

WiiU Hypulance is at the ready!
I am staying off the hype train. I am going to sit back and watch the train wreak that is going to be E3. Any chance you have bingo cards for the opfor?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline house3136

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 02:35:23 PM »
 In terms of a new Zelda title, I think we will absolutely see a trailer for Zelda 3DS, if not a demo, if not a release date (unless it’s pushed to 2013) at E3. For Wii U, Eiji Aonuma’s team and Miyamoto will certainly still be calling the shots. I wouldn’t doubt it if any 2nd-party developer is involved with the next project in the series. However, I see these ventures as more of a collaboration, like Retro was with Mario Kart 7, and not a total handover of the franchise. Nintendo isn’t going to release another home console Zelda back-to-back; and they probably don’t want to release Zelda titles that will directly compete against each other in the same year, especially during the holidays. Just give them their own year.

Offline house3136

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 02:44:40 PM »
 As a follow up, I realize they did that with Ocarina of Time 3D and Skyward Sword; but a remake is different. And didn’t Monolith Soft assist Nintendo with Skyward Sword? Who knows maybe their helping with Zelda Wii U?

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 03:08:43 PM »
In terms of a new Zelda title, I think we will absolutely see a trailer for Zelda 3DS, if not a demo, if not a release date (unless it’s pushed to 2013) at E3. For Wii U, Eiji Aonuma’s team and Miyamoto will certainly still be calling the shots. I wouldn’t doubt it if any 2nd-party developer is involved with the next project in the series. However, I see these ventures as more of a collaboration, like Retro was with Mario 3D Kart, and not a total handover of the franchise. Nintendo isn’t going to release another home console Zelda back-to-back; and they probably don’t want to release Zelda titles that will directly compete against each other in the same year, especially during the holidays. Just give them their own year.

I'm guessing Greezo would be making Zelda 3DS, since they ported Ocarina of Time and Four Swords to the 3DS.

And Retro is a 1st-party developer, they're 100% owned by Nintendo. Greezo is an independent developer that works with Nintendo through contract (similar to how Insomniac made games exclusively for Sony).

Offline house3136

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 03:32:56 PM »
 Yeah, I refer to pretty much any developer that isn’t Nintendo EAD, or directly lead by them as 2nd-party. I associate Retro’s game development style with developers like Sora, Monolith Soft, etc… that aren’t 100% owned by Nintendo; that and the fact Retro is in the U.S. I just call them 2nd-party along with HAL, and Intelligent Systems.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 04:19:26 PM »
To be clear, I think a Retro-made Zelda would, at the earliest, come out holiday 2013. And that's the "anticipated launch" that they will assuredly miss.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 04:54:27 PM »
If its release isn't pushed back at least once, it's not really a Zelda game.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2012, 05:22:35 PM »
If its release isn't pushed back at least once, it's not really a Zelda game.
I thought they needed a 2 E3 Curing Cycle.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2012, 06:17:30 PM »

Yeah, I refer to pretty much any developer that isn’t Nintendo EAD, or directly lead by them as 2nd-party. I associate Retro’s game development style with developers like Sora, Monolith Soft, etc… that aren’t 100% owned by Nintendo; that and the fact Retro is in the U.S. I just call them 2nd-party along with HAL, and Intelligent Systems.

Project Sora (Kid Icarus Uprising) is jointly owned by Nintendo and Sakurai.

Sora Ltd. (Smash Bros. Brawl) is Sakurai's own company, independent from Nintendo.

Grezzo (Ocarina of Time 3D, Four Swords DSiWare), Monster Games (Excite Truck, ExciteBots), Next Level Games (Mario Strikers, Punch-Out Wii), and Good-Feel (Wario Land Shake It, Kirby's Epic Yarn) are independent developers. They work with Nintendo under contract.

Retro Studios, Intelligent Systems, HAL Labs, Pokemon Company, Game Freak, nD-Cube, and Monolith Soft are 100% owned (or majority owned) by Nintendo (Namco Bandai sold their remaining shares of Monolith Soft to Nintendo).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 03:05:21 AM by tendoboy1984 »

Offline shinyray01

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2012, 08:04:20 PM »
Hopefully a new 1080 or wave race game will be announce that will show off the Wii U's graphical power.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2012, 01:44:42 AM »
Project Sora is jointly owned by Nintendo and Sakurai. They created Kid Icarus Uprising.
But Sora Ltd. is Sakurai. There is a difference, even though Sakurai isn't doing anything independent right now.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline vinniebrock

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2012, 01:48:13 AM »
http://goo.gl/7e6yv

this is about half hope & half predictions :cool;

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2012, 02:56:06 AM »
Project Sora is jointly owned by Nintendo and Sakurai. They created Kid Icarus Uprising.
But Sora Ltd. is Sakurai. There is a difference, even though Sakurai isn't doing anything independent right now.

I thought Project Sora and Sora Ltd. were 2 different companies?

• Sora Ltd. is Sakurai's own company
  • Project Sora is jointly owned by Sakurai and Nintendo

Offline jarodea

• A man of the world, so suave and discrete, he trips over the women piled up at his feet
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2012, 05:56:19 AM »
Just wanted to check that NWR gave credit to where credit was due, and..
"Taking cue from places like NeoGAF"
Yes they did.  A big reason NWR is the only other video game website besides neogaf that I regularly check.

Offline JRokujuushi

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2012, 04:30:22 AM »
20. Wave Race for Wii U
DUDE, I hadn't even thought of that.  Imagine if one player had a map of the track on the tablet controller, and they could touch it to create waves that the racer(s) would have to deal with...