Author Topic: Is Snipper Clips a killer app?  (Read 6605 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Is Snipper Clips a killer app?
« on: March 25, 2017, 03:30:56 AM »
This game will tell you more about a person in five minutes than a three hour conversation.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
Re: Is Snipper Clips a killer app?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 03:31:36 AM »
Like a good board game.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 08:09:19 AM »
"Killer app" isn't easily quantifiable. It's a nice conversation piece though I think we (as in forum users who discuss video games) tend to aggrandize killer apps. I typically define a killer app as a game average consumers will strictly buy a new console to play. This includes those who already own the console as in if they didn't own the console, said killer app would be the game to convince them to.

That said, I don't consider Snipperclips to be a killer app. I doubt anyone bought a Nintendo Switch to play it. I don't want to take anything away from the game. Not being a killer app isn't a mark against it as that says nothing about the quality of the game. Personally, I think having a variety of decent selling software in different genres is better than having one or two killer apps. That variety may keep people continually going back to the console rather than letting the console sit after completing that game. Obviously, having both would be ideal.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 08:12:26 AM by Adrock »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 10:49:56 AM »
I would call it a quintessential Switch title. You don't buy a Switch for this one game, but every Switch owner should have it.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 11:55:55 AM »
Snipperclips sounds like a fun game but if it didn't exist I don't think that would affect the Switch's sales at all.  So it's not a killer app.

True killer apps are quite rare.  There are only a handful of them per generation and some systems never truly have one.  They're not so even necessarily very good games but very popular games.  They're the games that have all the buzz that move systems.  Breath of the Wild is doing that.  It's made enough of an impact that if you're into videogames, it's coming up in conversations as a title you NEED to play or you're missing out and the "only" way to get it is to buy a Switch.  Snipperclips isn't coming up like that.

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 12:48:16 PM »
Fair enough. You've convinced me that it's not a killer-app.

However, it's the most fun co-op game I've played since Portal.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 12:49:48 PM »
It's going to be the sleeper hit of the century. The cult classic that people look back on and say something like "Remember that quirky game which was overshadowed by Zelda?"

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 02:09:24 PM »
"Remember that quirky game which was overshadowed by Zelda?"

Yeah, 1-2-Switch was overshadowed by Zelda during launch.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2017, 07:25:23 PM »
If you're mostly a solo player, no.  If you have friends or family to play with fairly regularly, hell yes.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2017, 09:22:18 PM »
I don't think anyone would buy the Switch solely for Snipperclips, but it might be the best thing showing off the multiplayer-out-of-the-box feature that's currently on the system. 
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2017, 10:39:14 PM »
No.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2017, 11:21:51 PM »
I really like it a lot, and I've even been playing it solo and I'm saying that. No one's buying the system to play Snipperclips, but it's an excellent complementary piece to Zelda in the launch lineup.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2017, 10:53:25 AM »
People who actually talk about video games wouldn't buy Switch for Snipperclips. That being said, I would argue that Snipperclips will sell some consoles and games like it were a major reason the Wii sold like it did for so long. It doesn't have the popularity of Just Dance, but it's the kind of game that has potential to cross barriers into non-traditional gamer interest.

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 04:46:17 PM »
It has been the main game I show people, but primarily because it is one of the only multiplayer games at launch.  It also works as a game for everyone, and has been fun to play with people who don't normally play videogames.  With that said, there isn't much to it.  It isn't a game people want to buy a Switch for, like Wii Sports sold Wiis.  Nobody that wasn't a gamer even considered it, and had enough after a short play session.  I don't think we have yet seen the game that Nintendo plans to target the Blue Ocean with... maybe something involving the camera.  They went to the expense of putting it there, so they must have had something better than eating contests in mind.

Offline Lemonade

• A True Gaming Hero
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2017, 04:21:00 AM »
Snipperclips is the second best Switch game, I love it. I finished the two player mode with a friend last weekend and played most of the 2-4 player mode too.

Offline Phil

• Good day, citizens!
  • Score: 51
    • View Profile
    • SuperPhillip Central
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2017, 10:26:23 PM »
As stated, nah, it's not a killer app. People won't be buying a Switch to play Snipper Clips, but they will buy a Switch and look at Snipper Clips and go, "hey, I think I'd like that!"
Switch Friend Code: SW-4962-7799-3963 (Phil)

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2017, 04:28:04 AM »
Not sure I'd call it a Killer App but it is a wonderful game that should be played by any Switch owner. I didn't have feelings one way or another prior to Switch's launch, but due to some mix ups with my copy of Zelda not arriving on the promised delivery day I purchased it as a title to hold me over and had so much fun.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144