Author Topic: Sony Playstation Tablets (now official)  (Read 2046 times)

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
Sony Playstation Tablets (now official)
« on: February 16, 2011, 01:25:03 PM »
There isn't much info out on the device yet besides that it's a tablet, has a 9.4" screen, runs Android, is Playstation certified, and balances its weight more naturally for one handed use by have a "loop around" section on the back that puts more weight directly over the users hand and wrist, making it feel lighter, and less fatiguing. That loop also serves to give the tablet a raised angle to type on, while it sits on a table. The story is up at Engadget.

So far it's still just a rumor, but it's from credible sources, just like the Xperia Play was way back when that was first leaked.

This is interesting because I assumed that Sony was going to have the PSP2 be their PS/tablet hybrid, it sure is powerful enough, and with any decent OS can be marketed as such, but obviously Sony feels like those are two different markets.

So now Sony will have 4 Playstation devices on the market; the PS3, the PSP2, the PSPhone, and the PSTablet. Which is an interesting strategy, considering that the PSTablet will be able to connect to a TV sans the PS3.

The tipsters have a lot of praise for the device, saying it's the best looking device Sony has ever put out.

For now, the alleged ship date is Septmember for a price of $599, but both are subject to change.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 06:39:13 AM by MaryJane »
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
Re: Sony Playstation Tablet
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 02:15:10 PM »
no link?

But maybe Sony will be using Nvidia's Tegra 3 (Kal-El).
I posted it in the verizon phone thread since it was used in an android based tablet.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 03:14:28 PM »
So what makes this a "Playstation" tablet vs. just a "Sony" tablet?  It is going to run the same games as that Playstation Phone they were talking about?

I get this feeling that Playstation has gone from two pillars, one sorta successful and one clearly not, to three.  Maybe they should get that handheld pillar working first and the console pillar could still do a whole lot better.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 04:00:27 PM »
Same with the phone, the only thing that has the Xperia Play related to the PlayStation brand are Sony's terrible d-pad and symbols. Even if this device does end up being real, I think the tablet market is just too crowded for it to stand much of a chance.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 04:41:42 PM »
@Ian
Sony is also going to release a non-Playstation tablet.

@TJ
It's the game that connect them. The Xperia Play is getting PSN games, and the tablet will come preloaded with PSOne games, and likely will have PSN games as well as "App store" games made specifically for the tablet.

Edit: @BnM
They're using dual-core Tegre 2. Which is funny because I remember awhile ago a lot of people on this forum were saying that Tegra was dead, after it was revealed that it would not if fact be powering the 3DS, people said no manufacturer was going to use it, blah, blah, blah. Now Tegra is being mentioned nearly as often as Atom processors, just as I imagined it would.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 04:46:20 PM by MaryJane »
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 05:01:37 PM »
If they are gonna launch a Tablet, they should stick the Kal-El* in there and call it a day.
It would run circles around the iPad and be the tech enthusiast tablet till the Wayne* the year after.

I assume the tablet is running Android like the phone?

*Nvidia is code-naming their Tegra line with the names of superheroes.
Tegra 3 = Kal-El (Clark Kent, Superman), Tegra 4 = Wayne (Bruce Wayne, Batman), Tegra 5 = Logan (Wolverine) Tegra 6 = Stark (Tony Stark, Iron Man)
http://androidandme.com/2011/02/news/nvidia-kos-the-competition-quad-core-cpus-in-android-devices-by-summer/

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 06:58:43 PM »
I'd just assume they'd throw the NGP chipset in there and call it a day. It'd probably be cheaper that way.

EDIT: Hey, why don't I just go eat some hay, make things out of clay, lay by the bay? I just may! What'd ya say?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 09:03:17 PM »
When I first seen this thread title I thought it said "Sony Playstation Toilet" and I was like "WTF?!".

But then again there was a thread recently about video game urinals, so I guess anything is possible.
is your sanity...

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 06:38:52 AM »
Sony's hosting a press event in Tokyo today where it just made the first announcement: a pair of Android 3.0 tablets -- yes, the very two Honeycomb slabs we told you about exclusively back in February. The first is the 9.4-inch S1 media tablet (aka, Qriocity focused) with a curved top much like a folded magazine and both front- and rear-facing cameras. The S1 features a Tegra 2 SoC and customized "Quick and Smooth" touch panel UI with "Swift" web browser. It can also be used as a remote control for Sony gear thanks to integrated infrared.

The second tablet is the dual-screen S2 clamshell with its pair of 5.5-inch 1,024 x 480 pixel displays, Tegra 2 SoC, and camera. While it sounds bulky, Kunimasa Suzuki just pulled the hinged tablet from his jacket pocket on stage. Sony takes advantage of the two screens with a custom book-style UI layout for its e-reader app, email (keyboard on one display with your messages on the other), and others. Both the S1 and S2 are PlayStation Certified, support DLNA, and are WiFi and 3G/4G "compatible" according to Sony. See the Sony tablets codenamed "S1" and "S2" in action after the break on their way to a global release in the fall -- possibly sooner in the US.

P.S. While the company isn't ready to talk prices yet, our sources told us back in February that Sony was considering a $599 MSRP on the S1 while the S2 would likely come in at $699. Still no word on the Windows 7 slider but with the other two leaks official, it's now only a matter of time.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/26/sony-to-launch-two-honeycomb-tablets/