Author Topic: DONKEY KONG COUNTRY!!!!! SUCKS!!  (Read 51112 times)

Offline phajej

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
DONKEY KONG COUNTRY!!!!! SUCKS!!
« on: March 19, 2007, 04:06:28 PM »
I am assuming that you guys don't remember how the original DKC looked like, because your review of the game was "RECOMMENDED" and what not.  After buying the game, loading it, and noticing what a crappy job Nintendo did porting the game over.  I regret spending my 800 pts on such a cheap port of DKC.  This port looks like what it should belong on the GBA, and for Nintendo not being able to port this game over the proper way discourages me to buy another VC game for the SNES.  

NWR staff, please oh please, when you do reviews, compare it to the SNES graphically too.  And if you don't remember how it looks like, go dig in that closet of yours and pull out your SNES.  I downloaded DKC in hope that it would look as good as it did on the SNES, and it disappointed me, and I have this feeling that all the SNES games will look as crappy as the DKC port.

I would recommend "NO" to this download if you are a hard core DKC fan, and "YES" if you will never get to experience the original, even though it will never compare to it.

Thanks for reading this message.  

Offline Infernal Monkey

• burly British nanny wrapped in a blender
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE: DONKEY KONG COUNTRY!!!!! SUCKS!!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 04:12:07 PM »
I think nostalgia has clogged your vision.

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 04:13:43 PM »
I would recommend just steering clear of Donkey Kong Country all togethor. It's only now with objective eyes that we realise that this had to have been one of the most boring platformers in existence. The only reason it was ever noticed was because of the graphics and now that they are a decade old we can smell the true odur of it's foul gameplay.
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE:DONKEY KONG COUNTRY!!!!! SUCKS!!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 04:17:44 PM »

Originally posted by: 18 Days
I would recommend just steering clear of Donkey Kong Country all togethor. It's only now with objective eyes that we realise that this had to have been one of the most boring platformers in existence. The only reason it was ever noticed was because of the graphics and now that they are a decade old we can smell the true odur of it's foul gameplay.

I agree that the first one was an alright, but fun, platformer. But the second one was awesome! It was far more creative than the first or even the third one was. I actually played that one more than I did DKC 1 as a kid.

Also, its VERY hard to deny that the music is awesome. DKC 3 had alright music, but 1 and 2 had some beautiful, powerful soundtracks. That actually added a lot to the experience.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline 18 Days

• ~*LiL AnGeL*~
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 04:24:44 PM »
No one gets excited about game mucic.
pietriots.com
Calenture

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 04:27:15 PM »
Looking back, Donkey Kong Country is a pretty boring game. Not awful, not great.

I enjoy well-made video game music.
Thanks for listening.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 04:37:33 PM »

You must lack the soul to enjoy it, then...

Seriously, I dare you to say that during a discussion about videogame music. You wouldn't last long.

The best games of all time have featured some amazing even, and even the simple anthems have become the theme for gaming (like Mario and Zelda's theme).  
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Mode7

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 04:37:48 PM »

I do. Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles has some of the most STELLAR VG music I've ever heard. David Wise's work on the DKC series is memorable as well. Of course, great music is nothing without complimentary great gameplay, and the DKC series and FFCC both provided (although, DKCs were deeper experiences altogether).

Offline Pittbboi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2007, 04:40:55 PM »
It must be just me, but DKC aged better than Super Mario World, in my opinion. I can't play past two levels of that game without getting bored to tears.

When that game came out, I wasn't at the age where I cared about graphics, I just thought the game was extremely fun....and I still love it.

Oh, and the music was awesome. Sometimes my cousins and I would just turn the game on to have it playing in the background when we were playing board games or something.

Offline MarioAllStar

• Weird and Wonderful
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 05:22:40 PM »
Funny, Super Mario World is one of the must "playable" of my childhood classics today. That is, I find that it has aged incredibly well. In fact, the early Super Mario games are all "comfort games" to me that I can still have fun with after all these years.

I suspect nostalgia has a big impact on what games remain fun. Would I enjoy the Power Rangers game for SNES if I didn't have such fond memories of playing it with my best friend? Maybe, but not as much. Still, there have been games where I go back and think, "this is terrible"--my apologies to Mickey Mousecapade.
Thanks for listening.

Offline Maverick

• Internet newbie :-)
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 06:12:43 PM »
All I've noticed is that I seem to have lost all of my DKCing skill.  Those damn barrells own me all the time now!
Come play with my Twitter.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 06:21:20 PM »
Miyamoto was right. When it comes down to it, Donkey Kong Country is a fun, simple distraction. But a distraction is all it is. The game sold because it was flashy, but it has nowhere close to the depth of Mario platformers. It hasn't aged as well as them either.  
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 06:27:45 PM »
I'm having fun the game and feel the visuals hold up well. The platforming, I dunno, it still is a very challenging game but with that said it still pales in comparison to DKC2 or better yet Super Mario World.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 07:13:17 PM »
I dunno about the gameplay (because I never played it much) but I always found that DKC looks ugly, even back in the SNES era.

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2007, 07:59:22 PM »
It is great to hear Kranky Kong do his thing again though.  Maybe it is nostalgia, afterall, but I always love his ramblings.  (I'll never forget the instruction booklet when you get to the "notes" pages "Does anybody even use these pages?!" :-P)  

Offline Nephilim

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2007, 08:41:43 PM »
2 is better in almost every way, but still 1 is fun for a few run thu's

Offline Shift Key

• MISTER HAPPY-GO-LUCKY
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2007, 09:08:33 PM »

Screw you hippie, the DKC soundtrack was ridiculously catchy. I'm gonna smack you over the head next Friday and then make you sit through a speech from Koji Kondo about game music.

Offline darknight06

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2007, 02:49:25 AM »
The graphics on every VC SNES game I've played so far are exactly the same, the TV's since that time have gotten a lot better.  Of course it looks similar to GBA, the resolutions weren't that far off from each other.

Offline ryancoke

• 200k avatars lol!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2007, 04:44:04 AM »
If you play DKC on 480p it's so clear that all the flaws and dithering are really noticable. It should look very similar to the SNES version on a CRT TV with composite cables.  If your TV is widescreen and the image is stretched it will also look worse.
My Wii Code:
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus Saves.....after he passes each level

Offline Famicom

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2007, 05:11:15 AM »
I have nothing but fond memories of DKC, but I haven't played it in many years now. DKC2 however, I've revisited a few times not long ago, and it still holds up. Wait for it!

DKC's soundtrack rocks.
Oops pow suprise!

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2007, 05:13:12 AM »
Thinking about it, shouldn't this thread be part of the official VC thread? The guy just came here and ranted about the guy when just a few posts up there was a perfect thread for it.

But looks like we were able to develop it into its own thread, so no biggie.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline segagamer12

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2007, 05:34:00 AM »
Well I am one who was impressed with DKC graphics back when it was new, but I hated Donkey Kong so much I wouldn't give it a try. None of my SNES owning friends (had only 2 btw we were a big Genesis  crowd) even had the game. I got to eperience it for the first time at a Sears who had the game set up as a demo. After a few minutes I decided it wasnt a game for me. Down the road when we got a SNES, just about the time N64 came out, we finally got the game cuz it was cheap, and my little sister enjoyed it but I never could get too into it. I wills till download it for my sister but likely wont play much myself.  
You can call me
THE RAT thank you very much
check out http://www.myspace.com/phatrat1982

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2007, 05:37:27 AM »
I will not agree or disagree with the statement that Donkey Kong Country Sucks.

Though I will say Donkey Kong Country 3 sucks, and Donkey Kong Country 2, took Donkey Kong away from us, and gave us an uninspired female character.

Boo!!!

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2007, 06:00:19 AM »
For those saying DKC is not as good as Super Mario World... yes. But that's a pretty high standard to hold a game to. Let's face it, Donkey Kong Country is much better then the Sonic offerings, and tons of other 2D platforms. It's not the end all, best there is in that genre, but it shouldn't have to be in order to be a ton of fun.

Also, for the record:

DKC2 > DKC > DKC3
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2007, 06:28:27 AM »
I had never played DKC because I was very exclusive to Mario games in those days when it came out, but I downloaded it recently and I am enjoying myself. Sure, it's probably a second or third-tier platformer, but I am enjoying it's rather high difficulty and level variety.

Where's Yoshi's Island?  

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2007, 06:43:41 AM »
DKC really doesn't look all that nice on newer TVs.  It relied a lot on the crappy setups that were common at the time.  Hell I don't even think it looks as nice on A/V cables then it did on coaxial.

But I still find it to be one of the best 2D platformers around.  Seriously the only platformers I like better are the Mario ones, which are the best period so being second to them doesn't mean you suck.  I like it better than Sonic and Kirby.  And my brothers and I play all three DKC games at least once a year so it's not like I haven't played it for a while.  DKC 3 isn't as good but I thought that at the time.  The other two in terms of gameplay haven't aged at all.  If you want to rip into old platformers go sh!t on stuff like Bubsy or Aero the Acrobat.  THOSE games got all sorts of attention back in the day and they do suck.  DKC isn't full of blind leaps and cheap deaths.  That is what crappy platformers have.

The first time I ever heard retroactive DKC bashing was in some magazine that was obviously trying to stir up sh!t.  I've only seen backlash from Nintendo fans since (surprise) Rare left and all Rare games suddenly sucked and had always sucked.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2007, 06:51:08 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
The first time I ever heard retroactive DKC bashing was in some magazine that was obviously trying to stir up sh!t.  I've only seen backlash from Nintendo fans since (surprise) Rare left and all Rare games suddenly sucked and had always sucked.

Well, its hard to deny that the current Rare games on the XBOX systems have indeed done poorly (Viva Piñata was good, but heard that it was the right genre but wrong audience). But I agree that their previous games were good and still are even if they jumped ship.

I LOVED Banjo-Kazooie. It was one of the most creative games of the day. I loved all the DKC games, with DKC 2 being the absolute best. I enjoyed Diddy Kong Racing, even if Mario Kart 64 was a better game. Heck, I even enjoyed Blast corps!

They weren't all gems, though. DK 64 was just one huge collect-athon (same with Banjo-Tooie), some of the GBC games were alright and I thought Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were a tad overrated.

So yeah, I agree that hating anything Rare before they became MS exclusive is stupid and proves that fans can be bitter over anything.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2007, 07:04:36 AM »
"Even?"  Blast Corps is excellent.  Who told you otherwise?

My complaint with Rare is that they were way too willing to sacrifice framerates for pretty effects.  That's one of the reasons I never bought Banjo-Tooie.  I find most of their N64 games difficult to go back to now because of it, and that's too bad since I never did finish Perfect Dark.

That's not a problem with DKC, though.  I think it holds up just fine.  If I didn't get a free copy of the GBA port, I might get it on the VC now.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2007, 11:05:54 AM »
I haven't played it terribly recently, but I did play it over and over back in the day and I have a hard time seeing how people wouldn't like it if they like other platformers.  They set up a unique style, had tons of bonus secrets, and that soundtrack will always be amazing.  I don't plan on buying the VC version until my SNES cart battery dies, but I can see how the sprites may not hold up as well with the superior video out on the Wii.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RE:DONKEY KONG COUNTRY!!!!! SUCKS!! (on VC)
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2007, 11:35:00 AM »
I can dust off the SNES when I get home and take a look (I was away from my SNES when DKC came out on VC), but it looked pretty close to what I remembered...on an average CRT.  As others have noted, the game looks terrible on modern sets.  I'll be comparing S-Video Wii to S-video SNES, so it should be fairly definitive.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Gorgonian

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2007, 01:18:44 PM »

One of the more false statements ever made.

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
RE: DONKEY KONG COUNTRY!!!!! SUCKS!! (on VC)
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2007, 01:22:40 PM »
DKC is awesome. That's all.

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2007, 03:48:02 PM »
OK, side-by-side complete.  Wii and SNES both running DKC on the same levels on the same TV using an S-video switch.  They look the same.  I could take pictures if you really don't believe me, but you should just hook your Wii up to a standard television if you don't believe me.

Generally speaking, VC games will not look as good as you remembered on HDTVs...but neither would the originals if you hooked them up to your TV.  You might--MIGHT--get a better result depending on your TV if you change your video out to interlaced mode, since Wii will then be outputting at the native resolution (instead of being upscaled to 640x480 which is then most likely further upscaled by the TV).  
Nintendo World Report

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2007, 11:36:37 PM »

Originally posted by: Artimus

QFT. Any Nintendo fan who now says all the old Rare games suck (since they left) is full of it. Pretty much every single Rare game from their first SNES release right up till Conker's Bad Fur Day was solid gold. The DKC series is still one of my favorites of all time and I can't imagine people honestly saying it is a crappy platformer. There is challenge and secrets, level variation, strategy, puzzles, etc. Not to mention the music which was and still is some of the best in any game I have ever played. Those tunes have stuck in my head since the first time I heard them, especially the snow levels.  
Check out PixlBit!

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2007, 02:47:35 AM »
This thread is about how/if the VC version of DKC is inferior to the SNES version.  Not if DKC is a good game or not.  PLEASE keep this in mind.
Nintendo World Report

Offline NeoThunder

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2007, 05:05:04 AM »

Originally posted by: ryancoke
If you play DKC on 480p it's so clear that all the flaws and dithering are really noticable. It should look very similar to the SNES version on a CRT TV with composite cables.  If your TV is widescreen and the image is stretched it will also look worse.

I agree, I think the fact i'm playing it on a 52 inch widescreen is a vast difference from the 19 or 25 inch I played it on when I was younger.  

It's the same game, just cause it doesn't look as good as you remember doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the game......just your memory
Wii# 4120-9638-2308-7614
<BR>
<BR>Mario Kart# 3178-8705-8094
<BR>
<BR>Faith is the complete surrender and acceptence of total control

Offline Ghisy

• Pronounced "GC"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2007, 06:18:57 AM »

Originally posted by: TheYoungerPlumber
OK, side-by-side complete.  Wii and SNES both running DKC on the same levels on the same TV using an S-video switch.

Dude, where did you find an s-video switch??
I've been looking for one to hook up both my Wii and GC to my new LCD tv.
Thanks
~Ghisy~
(pronounced GC!)

Currently playing: My Japanese Coach (DS), Resident Evil 5 (PS3), The Conduit (WII), Street Fighter IV (PS3)

Offline Artimus

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2007, 06:52:44 AM »

Originally posted by: Mr. Jack

Originally posted by: Artimus

QFT. Any Nintendo fan who now says all the old Rare games suck (since they left) is full of it. Pretty much every single Rare game from their first SNES release right up till Conker's Bad Fur Day was solid gold. The DKC series is still one of my favorites of all time and I can't imagine people honestly saying it is a crappy platformer. There is challenge and secrets, level variation, strategy, puzzles, etc. Not to mention the music which was and still is some of the best in any game I have ever played. Those tunes have stuck in my head since the first time I heard them, especially the snow levels.

Solid gold? Nah. DK64 was just plain terrible. Then they have several other good but nothing more games (DKC3, KI, JFG).

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2007, 07:42:01 AM »
I never played the fist one but DKC2 is one of the best games I've plaed and I replay it constantly as well as listen to its music on a daily basis because it was just awesome.

And I did like DK64, it was no Mario 64 of course but I really enjoyed it, much better than Banjo Kazoie and its sequels which I could never like for some reason.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2007, 08:43:05 AM »

Originally posted by: PartyBear
"Even?"  Blast Corps is excellent.  Who told you otherwise?

My complaint with Rare is that they were way too willing to sacrifice framerates for pretty effects.  That's one of the reasons I never bought Banjo-Tooie.  I find most of their N64 games difficult to go back to now because of it, and that's too bad since I never did finish Perfect Dark.

That's not a problem with DKC, though.  I think it holds up just fine.  If I didn't get a free copy of the GBA port, I might get it on the VC now.

Correction, it would have been excellent if it wasn't for the stupid Dump truck.  That knocked it down to only being "good."  
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2007, 09:29:12 AM »
Not sure about every Rare game being solid gold up until Conker, did they have a ton of great games? Yes, most definately. But personally I didn't care for Blast Corps because of the controls, DK64 was one of the most boring collectathons around, and Jet Force Gemini had a ton of flaws as well. Besides those though, they definately created some great games. DKC is a well designed platformer as well, unlike so many 2D platformers its challenge was not derived from cheap deaths, or learning "glitches" in order to get further along. Usually when you died in DKC you knew it was usually your fault, not the games.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2007, 10:36:51 AM »
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6352298&st=s-video+switch&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1076628516373 <<< That is roughly the same as the S-video switch I have.  (You have to push the buttons--it is a passive device.)
Nintendo World Report

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2007, 11:46:08 AM »

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
Not sure about every Rare game being solid gold up until Conker, did they have a ton of great games? Yes, most definately. But personally I didn't care for Blast Corps because of the controls, DK64 was one of the most boring collectathons around, and Jet Force Gemini had a ton of flaws as well.

Don't forget about Perfect Dark's horrid framerate.  To me it was bad enough to pretty much ruin the game.
GOREGASM!

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2007, 01:31:49 PM »

Originally posted by: Smoke39

Originally posted by: GoldenPhoenix
Not sure about every Rare game being solid gold up until Conker, did they have a ton of great games? Yes, most definately. But personally I didn't care for Blast Corps because of the controls, DK64 was one of the most boring collectathons around, and Jet Force Gemini had a ton of flaws as well.

Don't forget about Perfect Dark's horrid framerate.  To me it was bad enough to pretty much ruin the game.

I had a great time with all of those games especially Blast Corps and Perfect Dark. DK64 certainly had it's boring moments, but I love collectathons so it didn't bother me all that much. It only sucked when you had to go back through a level and crawl it to find the few little things left. Perhaps solid gold doesn't sit well with everyone, but for me at least, I can't think of a single entry that I wasn't fond of.

As far as the VC version of this game (DKC), I can't imagine it being any different at all from the original graphically considering it is simply being emulated. Apparently TYP tested it and that holds true. Playing on an HD TV will certainly ruin the viewing experience but aside from that I can't imagine any differences.  
Check out PixlBit!

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2007, 01:35:30 PM »
OK, OK, this is getting WAAAAY off topic.  This is about DKC looking not as good on a modern TV / on VC.  Not "Do you still like Rare games."  In fact, I'm actually going to pretend I'm a moderator and close this thread if I see more talk about Perfect Dark or whether DKC2 was better than DKC. (Which it was.  Oh crap, now I'm doing it!)
Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2007, 01:45:11 PM »

Originally posted by: TheYoungerPlumber
OK, OK, this is getting WAAAAY off topic.  This is about DKC looking not as good on a modern TV / on VC.  Not "Do you still like Rare games."  In fact, I'm actually going to pretend I'm a moderator and close this thread if I see more talk about Perfect Dark or whether DKC2 was better than DKC. (Which it was.  Oh crap, now I'm doing it!)

You say that as if going off topic is a bad thing!

Ob the subject of Blast Corps, I didn't mean to say the game sucked. I meant that the game was very obscure and many people may have ignored it back when it first came out. The controls were iffy, yes, but I still had fun anyway.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline JordoftheDead

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2007, 04:08:39 PM »

I'm gonna download this soon. It is a bit crap compared to say Super Mario World, Yoshi's Island or Mario 3 but the nostalgia level is huge.
Back to the Rare subject, I love Viva Pinata.
Plus I think Kameo is loads better than people made out. They both have a distinct Nintendo vibe to them.

360 owners (I love my 360) should play them both.

Offline Maverick

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2007, 05:08:36 PM »
Viva Pinata was alright for awhile, then it just got incredibly boring.  And has REALLY stupid restrictions on what you're allowed to build.  I quit when I finally had all the space available in my garden, and was told that I was not allowed to have enough pavement to connect all of my houses.  It was really, REALLY stupid, and I'm still very bitter about it to this day.  

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2007, 05:11:06 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
I've only seen backlash from Nintendo fans since (surprise) Rare left and all Rare games suddenly sucked and had always sucked.

Oi, oi, don't be throwing garbage bags full of generalizations!  I still love Rare and Donkey Kong Country! (though I feel betrayed by the crap they passed off as Perfect Dark Zero and Kameo...)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline The Traveller

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2007, 08:07:23 PM »
Perfect Darks framerate isnt as bad as some people make it out to be either. Although in Co-op it IS really bad..

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Re: DONKEY KONG COUNTRY!!!!! SUCKS!!
« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2021, 01:35:45 AM »
I remember playing this game when it first came out.  I am a first generation Donkey Kong Country player...and I must say that although I finished the game. It really isn't great.  The Graphics were awesome for the time, and still hold up somewhat.  But the character controls and movement were stiff and nonresponsive and the platforming was harder than Mario, but less fair.  And Mario is plenty hard in later levels. 

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2021, 05:34:58 AM »
That's a nice bumpasaurus rex Spak-Spang
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2021, 06:07:37 AM »
A spambot was the one that bumped it, but I deleted that post.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent