Author Topic: Prime or somethign else?  (Read 10226 times)

Offline jerchel

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Prime or somethign else?
« on: February 10, 2003, 02:44:20 PM »
Would you rather Retro make Prime 2 or another whole new game concept out of a fps?  While a Prime 2 would be very enteresting, I think a whole new game would be even better. While I love Metroid and Prime, I got a little tired of going through the same 5 large areas over and over and over. I'd like to see Retro put their skills to something a little more like Perfect Dark. They can also be making a Prime 2. Maybe it will be a longer time in coming. But would you really mind if you had another whole new aweswome game to hold you over.

Offline dalmation10k

• View Profile
Prime or somethign else?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2003, 02:51:21 PM »
Either way I'm sure whatever they make will be great, so I don't really mind.
I'd rather they made an adventure FPS though, instead of a mindless shoot 'em up like Quake or Doom or whatever.
Don't you want to know how we keep starting fires?

Offline jerchel

• View Profile
Prime or somethign else?
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2003, 02:54:59 PM »
I'd like to see it more like zelda. Just not one big area you go through like Metroid. Somethign more like you have a large area. You then ahve to go through this "area" and you don't go back.  I think it would be more fun and more detailed to have areas like zelda's dungeons.

Offline CijaroDSK

• View Profile
Prime or somethign else?
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2003, 03:01:20 PM »
you guys are forgetting that metroid is NOT zelda, they only related MP to zelda so people would understand the targetting system...

Offline dalmation10k

• View Profile
Prime or somethign else?
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2003, 03:02:45 PM »
Something I haven't heard of being tried is a first-person MMORPG.
Perhaps something where you are a bounty hunter, or a criminal (it's up to the player), and there are various planets that you can hunt in, or terrorize.
Something like that would be a massive undertaking though.

Offline jerchel

• View Profile
Prime or somethign else?
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2003, 03:09:56 PM »
Eh, I know the differntces between Metroid and Zelda. I am 19 and have played them both. I was just saying have the new metroid in that set up a little. Metroid doesn't even have to have "dungeions" just don't make it so much of going back and forth so much. Sure you can go back through areas but I'd like to see it a little less. I am just he type of person who hates doign the same thing over and over.

Offline Cru_Jones83

• View Profile
Prime or somethign else?
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2003, 05:01:13 PM »

Something I haven't heard of being tried is a first-person MMORPG.

It has been done before, the game is called

Planetside - Online Persistent First Person Shooter (MMORPG)

I shouldnt say that it has been done, since it isnt out, but it has been under developement for MANY MANY years.  Made by the same people as Everquest.
F*CK THE FREEWORLD
~ B. Rabbit

Offline "Sky"

• View Profile
Prime or somethign else?
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2003, 05:09:16 PM »
I would prefer that Retro Studios work on something original. It's way too soon for another Metroid game IMO. I mean, they just got done with Prime.

I also would like to see how Retro Studios would handle a game without previous elements that needed to be followed. I would enjoy seeing them start developing Thunder Rally again, the GCN could use a car combat game

Offline Mikecuberules

• View Profile
Prime or somethign else?
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2003, 05:38:29 PM »
I want a second metroid prime, but I don't want another FPS. Don't get me wrong I love Metoid Prime with a passion! But I want something different something in the view of an adventure game. What would be really cool would to make it kind of like a rpg. Just give it a lvl up system. Also in the MP2 I want to go somwhere totally different! I feel like everythime I play a metroid game I'm doing the same thing. I want something entirely different and with different extentions and suits scrap the old ones completely!
-Mike Jay

Offline Kobun Heat

• Eats Babies
    • View Profile
Prime or somethign else?
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2003, 08:33:26 PM »
I agree.

Metroid Prime was a fantastic remake of Metroid. The new elements that were added were quite fun, but ultimately the goal was less to add new things and more to make the old stuff all work flawlessly in 3D. It was an unqualified success.

But Metroid Prime 2 can't be the same thing over again.

"Samus Aran responding to distress call. Oh no, I dropped every single one of my weapons again like a stupid moron."

Metroid Prime 2 needs to be something entirely new. Look at the innovations with Fusion - storylines, pensive Samus sequences, and a world that unfolded less through exploration and more through a linear progression.

That's what's needed for MP2. Beyond that, isn't Samus Aran a bounty hunter? Shouldn't we see her, you know: hunting some bounty? And is the only use of that incredibly cool ship really going to be land on the planet, then take off at the last second before the whole thing explodes? Why not fly that sucker from planet to planet, taking jobs and bringing in criminals? And have a plot unfold as that happens, finally leading back to, well, Metroids?

That's how Retro needs to approach the project.
Chris Kohler
Kobun Heat

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
Prime or somethign else?
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2003, 08:36:59 PM »
i really dont care as long as its good. but if i had to make a choice i would ask for something differnent and new. new things are always a plus(as long as the are done well).

edit: i have it!!! a metroid rpg type thing....kind of like metroid meets star wars. she can visit those space ports full of scum and use her above average looks to her advantage. this will appeal to the "mature" cuz she will have to dress like a whore-tastic to pull some missions off. plus, all while she is able to upgrade her ship,  personal weapons, and maybe even hire some back up. aw damn what i am picturing in my mind is sweet. i dont think the lil discs can hold this kind of stuff though.....maybe next generation. maybe even slap on a different name then metroid because that isnt very metroid like besides a chickbounty hunter in space.
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Gamefreak

• View Profile
Prime or somethign else?
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2003, 08:43:09 PM »
If I was in charge, I'd make them finish Thunder Rally. But change the name, Rally shouldn't be in their. And make sure it was online, and totally sweet. As in loads of cars, loads of cities, loads of weapons, loads of modes, and loads of fun.

Offline Kobun Heat

• Eats Babies
    • View Profile
Prime or somethign else?
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2003, 08:54:00 PM »
See, I don't imagine they'd make such a radical change as going RPG. People are expecting Metroid, which is what the game needs to feel like. The addition of leveling up, however, would bring the game closer to Symphony of the Night - whether that would be looked upon as poetic justice or pandering by Retro is still a mystery.

Samus needs to keep her old weapons, that much should be clear. They need to find new ideas. The game will almost definitely be in first-person mode and use large chunks of (if not the entire) original Prime engine - after all, they're readying this for 2004. That's a tight schedule.
Chris Kohler
Kobun Heat

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
Prime or somethign else?
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2003, 08:55:12 PM »
Why are you guys even doubting the fact that MP2 will make MP look like crap.
Come on, expect a little more from Metroid, there not gonna make the same game twice

Its gonna be bigger, better, better looking and more fun. Thats how Nintendo  makes sequels, and thats what makes them so popular(the sequels).

LZ 2005

Offline nolimit19

• The Owner
    • View Profile
Prime or somethign else?
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2003, 09:01:41 PM »
the rpg idea is dumb anyways.....thats for a samus side quest. not meant for the next actual metroid game. if they did make something like that i dont think they should call it metroid. but in the next metroid she needs to get naked, plain and simple. dont show anything, but let everyone know thats playing the game that she is naked. just show some skin.....maybe as a good ending. take off allher armor and take a shower. there ya go. how "mature" is that!
A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue; but moderation in principle is always a vice.

Thomas Paine

Offline Uglydot

• Jesus
    • View Profile
Prime or somethign else?
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2003, 11:52:38 PM »
Heh, anyone remember 10six?  MMOFPS.  I remember playing it on Heat back when I used arrow keys in Quake 2.  The game was fun, but was hard to get into.  So, the MMO FPS has been done.

Offline Rory C

• View Profile
Prime or somethign else?
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2003, 12:24:15 AM »
Call me shallow but I'd quite like to see retro make a team combat based FPS on the GC, sort of like (*Gasp!*) Halo, only alot better, naturally.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
Prime or somethign else?
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2003, 08:30:07 AM »
Yeah the GCN should really have a Halo Killer of a sort. Retro sure could do it, but they should rather fixate on Prime 2.
Halo is a really fun game, its single player and coop is much better than TS2, ofcourse it feels and plays totally different, but its still a better game. I hope TS3 has better graphics.
LZ 2005

Offline Christberg

• View Profile
Prime or somethign else?
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2003, 09:06:31 AM »
Well, if there's going to be a great teamplay based blaster on the GC, it'll be Starfox Armada.  There's tons of potential for it to happen for sure.  Hopefully they'll have tank sections where one guy can drive and blast and another player can run the turret kind like the Warthog in Halo but with better controls.  They could also have a couple of people flying Arwings and a couple of people piloting the Great Fox and firing turrets on that.  The game's ripe for all kinds of crazy teamplay options.  Hopefully they do it.

Offline Hemmorrhoid

• View Profile
Prime or somethign else?
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2003, 10:01:34 AM »
Halo is a FPS, Starfox is a shooter. While I realize your relation to the tank parts, Halo was really great primarily because of other reasons. The car/turret thing was major fun, but Starfox certainly wont fill the Halo niche.
LZ 2005

Offline Icons by Size

• View Profile
Prime or somethign else?
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2003, 11:05:35 AM »

While I love Metroid and Prime, I got a little tired of going through the same 5 large areas over and over and over.

I agree.  The only thing I didnt like about that game was, i guess, the one thing that made it a "true" metroid game.
Deftones own.

Offline Christberg

• View Profile
Prime or somethign else?
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2003, 11:15:17 AM »
So, one is a third person shooter with vehicles exclusively, and Halo is a FPS with some vehicles thrown in.  They're both shooters, Halo doesn't even have any real puzzles in it for the most part.  It's pretty much geared toward blasting only.  If you locked it in third person instead of first, and took the rail based levels out of Starfox, there would be little or no difference between the titles, frankly.  At least when you get down to actually playing them where it matters. The point is a fun team based multiplayer game.  Starfox cp

It'd be neat to see Nintendo do some sort of Battlefield 1942 type of game with system link, but I wouldn't hold my breath.  Nintendo's plate is so damn full right now that they're outsourcing titles left and right.

Offline dalmation10k

• View Profile
Prime or somethign else?
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2003, 12:05:30 PM »
Who needs a smelly old Halo niche, when you have a new Starfox shooter?