Author Topic: Reggie dropping a bomb at VGX Awards, what could it be?  (Read 52525 times)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Re: Reggie dropping a bomb at VGX Awards, what could it be?
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2013, 07:21:04 PM »
I think people built Reggie up too much.  Nintendo used him once or twice with really big announcements and his personality rocked and he was built up into a gaming marketing genius...and he never was that. 

So now, he is just a sad figure head that has little impact on anything Nintendo.  That said, I think Nintendo doesn't need to highlight a new 2014 video game.  What Nintendo needs to do is aggressively get new games out that are fun and must own titles.  If Nintendo can get 2-3 more must own titles on the Wii U by March that would be a good start. 

Or another plan would be to fully unlock the virtual console library and have a big title for the Wii U land late Feb. early March.  If Nintendo could do something like this they would have huge impact on Wii Us image.  The Virtual Console literally defined the Wii as a killer app for the system.  However, what should have been a continuation and solid feature for the Wii U is non-issue because it is just trickle down games again.  Nintendo needs to learn to pump out those releases faster.  People don't want to wait 3-5 years for an old library of games to be released...again.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
  • Score: -88
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2013, 07:21:58 PM »
It will be pretty funny if Tomb Raider isn't on Wii U. Its been hinted heavily that SE's announcement next month will be a port for next gen alongside a teaser for the sequel.

As far as annoucments go it's probably going to be either

Something we don't know of at all
Bayonetta 2
X

I'm going with something that's core focused that we don't know about yet. Probably something in the Metroid series or another collaboration like a new Chrono game.
3DS friendcode: 3093-7342-3454
xbl gamertag : Shingi the 70

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2013, 07:33:37 PM »
Didn't Reggie give us the Bigfoot Pizza and I love the 80's on VH1?

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2013, 07:39:03 PM »

I think people built Reggie up too much.  Nintendo used him once or twice with really big announcements and his personality rocked and he was built up into a gaming marketing genius...and he never was that. 

So now, he is just a sad figure head that has little impact on anything Nintendo.  That said, I think Nintendo doesn't need to highlight a new 2014 video game.  What Nintendo needs to do is aggressively get new games out that are fun and must own titles.  If Nintendo can get 2-3 more must own titles on the Wii U by March that would be a good start. 

Or another plan would be to fully unlock the virtual console library and have a big title for the Wii U land late Feb. early March.  If Nintendo could do something like this they would have huge impact on Wii Us image.  The Virtual Console literally defined the Wii as a killer app for the system.  However, what should have been a continuation and solid feature for the Wii U is non-issue because it is just trickle down games again.  Nintendo needs to learn to pump out those releases faster.  People don't want to wait 3-5 years for an old library of games to be released...again.

I find reggie weird in that its obvious he's a PR mouthpiece having more in common with Major Nelson than Shu Yoshida and Phil Spencer despite his title as Vice President. (That says more of the leadership at NCL than it does about NOA to be honest). But he's always been loved by the fans.

I think reggie got worse when he found out that he became a meme and decided to try and make a meme out of every E3 or direct he's in. (I did like the skit from the last direct but that was mostly due to the play between Bill and Audrey.)

Nintendo's biggest problem is like you say getting games out there and making up for the third party support which will only get worse knowing the Xbone and PS4 sales currently.

The big problem for Nintendo was it took them a year to get out a first party game that was considered must buy and was going to shift units. Its not looking great that its going to be around four months for the other two next gen consoles to get their system sellers games out there.

So far for the first half of the year on Wii U we have
Bayonetta 2 (i'm assuming but im guessing this will end up summer)
child of light
Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
Lego Movie
Lego Hobbit
Mario Kart 8
Watchdogs
Wii Fit U

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2013, 07:59:18 PM »
Reggie is an enthusiastic guy and that enthusiasm comes across well when Nintendo is kicking ass but looks delusional and pathetic when they're tripping over their own dicks.  Phoney enthusiasm is a like a laugh track on an unfunny sitcom.  Third parties are treating the Wii U like a leper and Reggie going to act like everything is awesome?  It just doesn't fly.

Didn't Reggie give us the Bigfoot Pizza and I love the 80's on VH1?

I always wanted to try that Bigfoot Pizza but my parents never bought it for me. :(

Offline MetalMario2

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2013, 08:14:02 PM »
It will be pretty funny if Tomb Raider isn't on Wii U.

Why the hell would that be funny? Can you people at least PRETEND that you want the Wii U to succeed?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2013, 08:16:44 PM »
The Bigfoot pizza wasn't as good as you might think. I don't think a big pizza cooks as well, and so it wasn't as good as their normal pizza.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2013, 08:21:28 PM »
Third parties are treating the Wii U like a leper and Reggie going to act like everything is awesome?  It just doesn't fly.
This is not just Reggie. Every executive at every company is a shill for their products. No one is going to say, "Yeah, we suck balls right now." A company's product could somehow give people AIDS and every higher-up at that company would try to spin it into something positive or downplay its significance. How do you not know how this works by now? Do you really think that within the boardroom they aren't trying to find a way to improve things?

Offline MetalMario2

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2013, 08:38:24 PM »
Look at Microsoft. They gave everybody metaphorical AIDS, and everybody STILL wants an Xbox One. Now that's something I just don't understand. After all the crap that Microsoft has pulled on their customers over the years, and all the crap they openly continue to pull, why are people still supporting the Xbox brand?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2013, 08:51:37 PM »
They brought back the Bigfoot several times. I think the last time it was the 'Panourmous'. It is just two smaller pizzas put together.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2013, 09:38:27 PM »
Lords of Shadow 2, Tomb Raider (and DLC), and MGS V will be announced for Wii U and new trailers for X, Bayonetta 2, Tropical Freeze, and Smash Brothers will be shown.
Stop it, kytim.

Please let me dream, Adrock.

Because you thought it up, it will now never be.....

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2013, 10:10:57 PM »
You guys hate Reggie because he is black. Especially Black N Mild ;)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2013, 10:17:37 PM »
Fee Fi Fo Figga
Boy I Hate A [*CENSORED*]

Offline MetalMario2

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2013, 10:37:03 PM »
Reggie is black? I thought he just had a really nice tan.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2013, 10:39:47 PM »

Reggie's parent's are Black Creole from Haiti.

Offline shingi_70

• Google shill
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2013, 10:59:48 PM »
Look at Microsoft. They gave everybody metaphorical AIDS, and everybody STILL wants an Xbox One. Now that's something I just don't understand. After all the crap that Microsoft has pulled on their customers over the years, and all the crap they openly continue to pull, why are people still supporting the Xbox brand?

Now that I find funny. With that said you'd be surprised how much goodwill Microsoft won back in such a short time. Instead of Nintendo whi stayed silent after the Wii U annoucment Microsoft made some Major moves.

-Firing Don Mattrick
-Giving more promience to Phil Spencer and Phil Harrison.
-The biggest and quickest 180 I've seen in gaming
-Getting Chris Charla to helm the ID@Xbox program and saying all the right things.

That plus the Hype Microsoft Studios was getting pre May 21st helped the brand alot, and a ton of marketing plus the gaming media saying the system was good, alongside the mainstream media on it like bears to honey.

Nintendo was never going to be #2 this gen since they lacked a gimmick people cared about to shoot to stardom like th Wii did, and they lack the third party support to keep the system competitive with the other two boys.

I feel the biggest disadvantge Microsoft has is the price which will be cut next year and the indie space, but ID@Xbox should be going and getting parity by this time next year if not eariler. 

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2013, 11:25:26 PM »
Reggie could be a Martian from outer space and I would still not judge him if he got me the games I wanted for my Wii U.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2013, 04:26:34 AM »
In an attempt to redirect this thread back on topic lol, I'll say that Nintendo has 3 games it can showcase that'll send the internet ablaze and maybe turn some heads at this VGX.

1.  A trailer for the next Legend of Zelda.  It has been stated before (too lazy to look up sources lol) that Nintendo were at one point going to show off a trailer for Zelda back at E3 but decided against it at the last minute.  Then supposedly, a trailer for Zelda was in discussion to be shown off at Comic Con but again wasn't shown.  This leads me to believe that they've been itching to show it off and should have something on file ready to be shown off.  My only problem with this is that I'm not sure NCL will let that fly.  Zelda has been more popular in the US as compared to Japan so you never know.

2.  A actual story based trailer of X revealing its official title, the main character, and what the story is roughly about.  We have seen 2 trailers for X now yet still know very little it.  They basically have been graphical showpieces for Nintendo and the WiiU.  I think its about time we got something more official.

3.  A new Metriod fpa game being made by Retro.  The previous Prime games were amazing graphically given the hardware they were on which is a credit to Retro's masterful artistry.  A Metroid Prime styled game on the WiiU with Retro's artistry will go a long way in presenting a game that'll, IMO, mask the WiiU's graphical deficiencies when compared to the other 2 kids on the block.  An atmospheric trailer seen through the visor of Samus in HD with some amazing lighting and I think they'll really get people talking.  I think this could be done as Retro is their American studio and Metroid along with first person adventures/shooter genres are more popular here in America then in Japan. 

These are my opinion on what 3 games I would like to see Nintendo announce at the VGX in order to really create a buzz.  I really hope Nintendo knows what kind of show this is and what is typically revealed there.  Epic trailers of massive franchises are usually revealed at this show so Nintendo can't make their first appearance there be to show off a Wii fit U trailer or a montage of what's currently out on the WiiU and rehashed videos of X/B2/and Smash Bros. 

But this is Nintendo though, so all bets are off.  There is an equal chance we'll get an amazing reveal to us getting squat and being left with pent up rage ready to flame Nintendo all over these boards. 

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2013, 08:10:53 AM »
I'm not really sure X would be the best choice. It doesn't really fit the Spike TV, Doritos and Mountain Dew demographic the awards are aimed at.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2013, 09:17:53 AM »
If we're talking Spike TV hype (e.g. something that audience would appreciate), FPS or some open world game (possibly from Retro Studios) fits the bill. If we're talking Nintendo hype, manage your expectations. It probably won't be that spectacular. At best, it will be spectacular for a Nintendo announcement. At worst, it will be something expected that incites cricket chirps from the audience. Maybe it's something like GameCube on Virtual Console with no set date. That sounds like a Nintendo announcement that they would hype, but only Nintendo fans would care about.

I have doubts it will be a previously unannounced or unveiled first party game. This doesn't sound like the venue for it nor the audience. A port of a third party title is my guess. If I had to pick (and being as optimistic as possible): Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain. On top of that, Nintendo had to get one of their own teams (or one associated with Nintendo) to handle the port for Konami under Hideo Kojima's supervision. This would then be coupled with Snake revealed for Super Smash Bros. This is only a big deal if you only own Nintendo hardware because MGSV is coming out for everything except Vita and PC (for now).

Ultimately, I don't expect anything earth shattering. It might be a fun forum discussion but nothing that crazy.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2013, 09:41:58 AM »
I guess that's the thing, the announcement really should be something trailered to the audience, but knowing Nintendo there's a very real chance it won't be.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2013, 12:20:10 PM »
I'm not really sure X would be the best choice. It doesn't really fit the Spike TV, Doritos and Mountain Dew demographic the awards are aimed at.

"its funny but will it get them off their tractors?"
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Fatty The Hutt

• Zut alors!
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2013, 02:00:33 PM »
GTA VI, exclusive to WiiU (and 2DS).
Called it!
Oui, Mon Gars!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2013, 02:45:20 PM »
how about the bomb is....Nintendo buys Sega.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Mannypon

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2013, 03:00:17 PM »

Well role playing games have typically been announced at this show such as Skyrim I believe and now I'm hearing rumors of Fallout 4 making an appearance this year.  These are huge franchises but I wouldn't say they fit the Spike TV audience.  Besides, I think the audience for these events just want to be wowed, regardless what type of game it is.  I think Zelda, X, and Metroid are the only franchises Nintendo has that can possibly wow the audience for this type of event.  Mario already wows in its own right but that's a different kind of graphics that the Spike audience will not appreciate for the most part.