Author Topic: NWR Forums Top 10 Zelda Games  (Read 37951 times)

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: NWR Forums Top 10 Zelda Games
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2013, 03:09:07 PM »
I"m going

1) Ocarina of Time
2) Windwaker
3) Twilight Princess
4) Spirit Tracks (apparently no one loves this one as much as me)
5) The Legend of Zelda
6) Link's Awakening
7) Skyward Sword  (How people like this more than TP blows my mind)
 :cool; Majora's Mask
9) Oracle of Seasons
10) LttP (Most overrated in the series IMHO)

I've barely played II, Ages, or Minish Cap.  I really didn't care for Phantom Hourglass.  And I never played 4 swords outside the GBA version.

When did you first play LttP?

You rate the original at #5 and throw LttP in at #10, and then you proceed to proclaim LttP as the most overrated in the series. What about LttP doesn't stack up with either #5 or #6 on your list? There is so much that LttP does right that keeps it shoulder-to-shoulder with OoT... The soundtrack is arguably better if not simply original. It introduces an actual storyline into the game. Everything about LttP is not only better than its predecessors but is also considered to be better than just about every other game in the series. Where OoT's Hyrule Field seems expansive and lonely, LttP's game world is vibrant and full of mysteries. Certainly, I can understand why people feel OoT is "overrated" and in the same breath so is "LttP" for similar reasons. Both games have so shaped the franchise that it almost seems to prevent the developers from branching out to do something radically different (ala Majora's Mask).

Excuse me for feeling dumbstruck by that kind of comment, but it really begs the question for you to justify your opinion. You did just throw LttP under a bus without any explanation. One would think the original LoZ would be deemed totally "overhyped" considering its placement on these lists vs how fun the game actually is.

Every game is hyped to a degree, but especially hyped are LttP, LA, and OoT.

Offline MetalMario2

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2013, 07:55:45 PM »
Quote from: Agent-X-
  One would think the original LoZ would be deemed totally "overhyped" considering its placement on these lists vs how fun the game actually is.

It's more fun than anything made after WW, that's for sure.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2013, 09:32:00 PM »
yeash whats with all the twilight princess hate.

Offline MetalMario2

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2013, 10:44:20 PM »
Twilight Princess just isn't very good, is all. Still better than Skyward Sword, though.

The problem is, the awesomeness of OoT pretty much destroyed the Zelda series. They'll keep trying to catch that lightning in a bottle the second time, but they never will. And as long as they keep trying to imitate OoT, we're going to end up with pale, crippled imitations like TP and SS. They at least need to go in a different direction, so as to escape the shadow of OoT.

Offline MetalMario2

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2013, 10:45:32 PM »
To put it another way, Twilight Princess is NOT to Ocarina of Time what Super Mario World was to Super Mario Bros. 3.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2013, 02:06:12 AM »
To put it another way, Twilight Princess is NOT to Ocarina of Time what Super Mario World was to Super Mario Bros. 3.

Well yeah, Twilight Princess is actually better then Ocarina of Time, unlike World which is worse then Bros 3.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2013, 02:10:44 AM »

Well yeah, Twilight Princess is actually better then Ocarina of Time, unlike World which is worse then Bros 3.

TRUTH!
Gouge away.

Offline MetalMario2

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2013, 03:01:08 AM »
I literally can't fathom anyone who thinks that TP is superior to OoT. Seriously, you might as well be Cthulu, or some other Lovecraftian creation. You're Cthulu, and I'm just staring at you, helpless in my lack of comprehension as my sanity strips itself away.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2013, 08:21:07 AM »
OOT as a game has just aged absolutely horribly. As much as I enjoy that game various elements of the game just don't stand the test of time(combat, some temple designs, hyrule field). Twilight Princess meanwhile fixes those problems and presents itself at an absolutely massive scale.

OOT is the more influential game
TP is the better game

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2013, 09:27:51 AM »
Ocarina of Time has better pacing. I felt Twilight Princess was too long and it takes roughly 12 hours to get the sword in the beginning (why did I have to catch a fish just to progress?). The last three dungeons were also not especially strong or maybe I was just worn out. In terms of gameplay, sure, give the nod to Twilight Princess for the refinements. Overall, I still like Ocarina of Time more.

Offline Agent-X-

• I speak Gibberish
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2013, 01:08:19 PM »
Everybody's worried about the debate between OoT and TP, and no one is commenting on the travesty that is the offhand remark that LttP is the most overhyped in the series...

And WTF is wrong with people on here... seriously, SMW is worse than SMB3? WHO CARES? Both are lightyears beyond any New Super Mario Bros game. Both ate up at least 200 hours of my time growing up. AS CLOSE TO GAMING PERFECTION AS IT GETS. EOS.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2013, 02:47:49 PM »
I literally can't fathom anyone who thinks that TP is superior to OoT. Seriously, you might as well be Cthulu, or some other Lovecraftian creation. You're Cthulu, and I'm just staring at you, helpless in my lack of comprehension as my sanity strips itself away.

I'd consider that a complement. :)
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2013, 04:15:27 PM »
Everybody's worried about the debate between OoT and TP, and no one is commenting on the travesty that is the offhand remark that LttP is the most overhyped in the series...
It's his/her opinion and wasn't followed by an explanation. I disagree, but without more to go on, that's the end of that discussion.

Ocarina of Time would be my pick for most overrated of the series. Before anyone freaks out, keep in mind that it's third on my Zelda list. A game can be both excellent and overrated.

Offline MetalMario2

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2013, 07:42:24 PM »
In your own time.

Offline MetalMario2

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 21, 2013, 05:26:57 PM »
Any time at all.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #65 on: November 21, 2013, 07:42:58 PM »
I haven't played all the Zelda games.  So I can't rank all of them properly.  If I was to rank the games I have played...here is the order.

1) The Link to the Past
2) OoT
3)Twilight Princess
4) Wind Waker
5)Link's Awakening
6) Minish Cap
7) Phantom Hourglass
8)The Legend of Zelda

I have not played enough of the other portable games to have an opinion...though I tried to play Minish Cap and found it tedious...but enjoyable.  I never finished it, but I know where I would put it. On the list. 

To me, anything that makes the exploration of the game more difficult made the game less enjoyable.  So Minish Cap had a cool gimmick with shrinking, but it made the world feel harder and less enjoyable to explore for me. This is one reason Majora's Mask isn't on my list. 

Twlight Princess I enjoyed the story elements and feeling like I was part of a bigger world and story.  I understand the boss battles were too easy, and parts of the game seemed locked away from exploration at first, but eventually it did open up and it was really fun, and then I had that story. 

As for Link to the Past.  It defined the series and I can play it over and over again.  Always enjoying the game.  Link to the Past defines the 3D adventures, but the 3D adventures are too much of a commitment for pick up and play gaming.  So it isn't as great. 

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #66 on: November 21, 2013, 08:52:46 PM »
PS:  Majora's Mask is the most overrated Zelda game. 

It is different and dark, so people think it is cool...but it is extremely over-rated.  And its time limitations make it less enjoyable to play. 

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #67 on: November 21, 2013, 09:41:25 PM »
I can't applaud you any harder.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #68 on: November 21, 2013, 11:25:34 PM »

TRUTH!

Except this is not truth.  Super Mario World, may not have the same level of creativity and newness of Super Mario Bros 3.  However, Super Mario World's levels are usually more focused, and carefully crafted.  Almost every level introduces a new element or refines an old element introduced for a new game play mechanic.  The levels are longer, and overall more enjoyable. 

Super Mario World is a fantastically wonderful and perfect 2D Mario game.  I believe it is literally the best 2D Mario experience to date.  Now, for something outside the Mario experience, but still Mario...Super Mario World 2 is one of the best games ever made.  I love that game...but the replayability isn't as high as Mario 3 or World.

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 21, 2013, 11:59:46 PM »
So with the mario argument in play I think there's only one more thing to do

One Two Three Four I declare a

Offline pokepal148

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2013, 12:01:23 AM »

I'd consider your spelling to be just as bad as his argument.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2013, 12:25:41 AM »
Quick, get A Blastoise.

I didn't really mean to start a flame war.

Offline Pixelated Pixies

• Just call me PixPixâ„¢
  • Score: -178
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2013, 12:54:56 AM »

Except this is not truth.  Super Mario World, may not have the same level of creativity and newness of Super Mario Bros 3.  However, Super Mario World's levels are usually more focused, and carefully crafted.  Almost every level introduces a new element or refines an old element introduced for a new game play mechanic.  The levels are longer, and overall more enjoyable. 

Super Mario World is a fantastically wonderful and perfect 2D Mario game.  I believe it is literally the best 2D Mario experience to date.  Now, for something outside the Mario experience, but still Mario...Super Mario World 2 is one of the best games ever made.  I love that game...but the replayability isn't as high as Mario 3 or World.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Super Mario World immensely. It's an awesome game. It's just that Super Mario Bros 3 has the better levels, a more cohesive art direction (American Football players, non-Goombas and Rhinoceros? Really?) it feels snappier and, crucially, it doesn't have Yoshi, all of which make it the superior game.

Also,

Tanooki Suit > Cape

and

Kuribo's Shoe > EVERYTHING
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 12:57:29 AM by Pixelated Pixies »
Gouge away.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2013, 02:06:46 AM »
Quick, get A Blastoise.

I didn't really mean to start a flame war.

Can not respond...because I won't start a flame war. 

Offline MetalMario2

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2013, 02:08:09 AM »

I'd consider your spelling to be just as bad as his argument.

Not an argument. Just the way I feel about people who think TP is better than OoT.