Author Topic: Radio Free Nintendo - Episode 30  (Read 3806 times)

Offline Pryopizm

• Staff Jedis-Are-Evil
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Radio Free Nintendo - Episode 30
« on: December 13, 2006, 10:12:30 AM »
Jonny, along with guests TYP and Windy, hosts tonight's show about GameCube Zelda, the European launch, and if the Wii has the legs to  last.

In today's podcast, the sun rises from the west and sets in the east.    

Episode 30: There's Christmas in Europe!    

AAC Format    

MP3 Format    

You can also listen to the podcast on the good 'ole Odeo!    

powered by ODEO    

Due to copious quantities of technical bewilderment and utter stupidity, I was unable to take part of this podcast.  That, and I was thrown overboard by my fellow podcasters like so much ballast.      

However, my loss is their gain.  In a wonderfully orchestrated podcast (I came up with the agenda), Jonny masterfully guides the discussion and touches on important topics affecting today's children such as the Zelda GameCube release and the resulting mirror world, the untimely demise of the Bob Ross painting game, and the European launch and sales data.    

This news is bookended nicely by another edition of "What Are We Playing" and our feature discussion on whether the Wii can sustain its momentum and win the war, not just the battle.  Enjoy this finely crafted work of editorial skill--sliced, diced, and sauteed by yours truly.  May I recommend a delightful merlot for tonight's verbal feast?    

Credits:    

This podcast was edited by Stan Ferguson.  Video Game Advantage Commercial performed by Steven Rodriguez. The fake Commercial was written and performed by Stan Ferguson.    

Music for this episode of Radio Free Nintendo  is used with permission from Jason Ricci & New Blood.  You can also purchase their album directly from the iTunes Music Store.    

Please visit our sponsor Video Game Advantage.

"Bullets, my only weakness.  How did you know?"

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
RE: Radio Free Nintendo - Episode 30
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 02:04:21 PM »
"IT'S WRONG IN THE WII VERSION!" lol

It didn't ocurred me that the flipping would also bring some weird things like the sun coming in the wrong side, or people shaking left hands, the wii version must be so bizzare, it really was a puzzling decision the whole mirror thing, it makes no sense at all.

Good podcast, but did you had to talk about "tablets" ? I'm that exagerated about spoilers, I really would have prefered to not know that, good thing my english listening skills aren't very good and I didn't understand most of what was said about that

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Nephilim

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE:Radio Free Nintendo - Episode 30
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 04:31:37 PM »
I know zelda sales for gamecube will be poor in australia, as each EB only got  about 20
and thats it, compared with every retail store in australia getting 20-200 of the WII version

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 05:50:56 PM »
What a snotty, whiney, negative podcast. I miss Stan and Karl. Heaven help me, I even miss Evan.  

Offline Svevan

• Not Afraid of Being Afraid
  • Score: -9
    • View Profile
    • Continuity
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 06:10:26 PM »
I think it's funny that all ShyGuy does is complain about how much NWR staffers complain.

Re: Movies

Movies are made in variable aspect ratios.

The first movies were made at 1.33 to 1, and then the first "widescreen" was 1.66 to 1 (an aspect ratio that Kubrick liked).

Most movies today are made in either 1.85 to 1 or 2.35 to 1 (or something very very close).

Your normal widescreen TV, 16x9, is roughly 1.77 to 1. It is made as such so it can be right in between your 1.33 films (Casablanca, early Disney, some modern documentaries) and your 2.35 epics (Lawrence of Arabia, Magnolia, Fight Club).

Not many movies are made at actual 16x9 (1.77 to 1) but a few are. This shape on a TV helps prevent overscan for films that are 1.85 to 1, ensures that your 2.35 (or 2.4) to 1 movies are not incredibly small, and also that your 1.33 to 1 pics aren't insanely window-boxed.

In summa, it makes perfect sense I think, though personally I would prefer to have a giant 1.66 to 1 TV that windowed the 1.33 films slightly and letterboxed the 1.85 and up. I don't think many (or any) TVs are made this way, though.

HD doesn't actually look good, to my eyes, on either LCD or Plasma, so I'm steering clear until they're super cheap and high quality.
Evan T. Burchfield, aka Svevan
NWR Message Board Artist

My Blog

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 06:19:51 PM »
Hey there Jack Levin, I was requested to post on this thread by a staffer.

Interesting tidbits about the movie aspect ratios. I didn't know all the details behind it.

Offline Pryopizm

• Staff Jedis-Are-Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 01:23:15 AM »
I don't believe there's much complaining here at all.  Sure there's a little riffing over the backwards Zelda and the music on Excite Truck, but pretty much everything on here is positive.  Maybe you listened to Wiired by accident, ShyGuy.

Offline Famicom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 05:17:30 AM »
Just out of curiousity, how long will the podcast files be named "pgc"?  
Oops pow suprise!

Offline Pryopizm

• Staff Jedis-Are-Evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 02:05:52 PM »
This will be the last one.  Chalk it up to laziness, but I didn't feel like renaming it as I was uploading it to the server.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 06:10:47 AM »
Boooo,,,, Western Town behind a building.  More then likely.
No a certian order.  The moves come in order.  The last move isn't nearly as good as mortal draw.

The single player is good when you hold the contoller like a pen.  (Super Monkey Ball.)

What was that word?

Long Live Canvas Curse.

What about the N64 Kirby game.

Wimp,  Jumping Jack Flash I got quicker then the Baseball one in my case.

I was going to say something else but it alludes me.

lol

I wanted that Pre-order stuff but I couldn't justify it to my Wife.

Thats because NoA can't even be as creative as NoE.

DDR and Guitar Hero for PS2.

Yeah... MS would like to soften its image to be more family.

Yeah I think you can.  We played Mario Kart while waiting for the Wii.

No, you can easily do it with just 3.  I mean it wouldn't be that hard.

Wait... When did people shake hands?

Yeah but it is bigger.  The HD content on the HD channels is really nice.

They've stated that they want this game. (Bob Ross)

Nintendo doesn't seem to do programming for hire.

Good Eats...

Love my Gamecube Component cables.  Plus Nintendo cut out the Digital output on the second half of the GCN lifetime.  I mean so as more people got TV's that could do there are less Cubes that could.

Wait, isn't component RGB?

That was super simple on the Cube...

and not from Oregon.

No.. No they won't.  Not at this rate of the VC.

We come to play, I haven't seen that much.  I wish it was more prevalent with new segments.

NoA does that...

Yeah that was sort of boring compared to the earlier one.

Read the forum...

Also why is Radio Free Nintendo still News?
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline WindyMan

• It was the dog.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • WindyMan's Roller Derby Notes
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2006, 07:08:53 AM »

Originally posted by: Ceric
Also why is Radio Free Nintendo still News?

This will be remedied soon.  We hope.

Steven "WindyMan" Rodriguez
Washed-up Former NWR Director

Respect the power of the wind.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2006, 12:44:19 PM »
Yay!
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.