Author Topic: So has anyone here played Twilight Princess GC?  (Read 5804 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
So has anyone here played Twilight Princess GC?
« on: December 13, 2006, 07:12:07 AM »
I ask because since it is VERY likely that I won't be getting a Wii this Christmas with Zelda (and SB is lending me his copy of Elite Beat Agents), I might just erase EBA from my back up list and put Zelda GC in.

Are there any major differences between Zelda Wii and Zelda GC? I know the Wii version has better graphics, controls and a reversed world, but outside that, the games are identical, right?

Please let me know. I want to play Zelda TP during the Holidays, but don't want to wait for a Wii in order to play it.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
RE: So has anyone here played Twilight Princess GC?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 07:37:58 AM »
the wii version doesn't have better graphics, just widescreen.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 10:20:21 AM »
Yeah, mantidor is right, you should be fine with the GC version.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
RE:So has anyone here played Twilight Princess GC?
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 05:47:09 PM »
I have a friend who has played it and played the Wii version, too. As far as he's concerned there is no difference other than the controls, which he loved far more than the Wii. But he doesn't completely grasp the Wii control concept yet. So no worries if you get the GC one.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2006, 06:10:36 AM »
The Wii version has no noticeable framerate dips to speak of.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2006, 08:49:18 AM »
Except when battling lots of enemies.

I've seen a few framerate dips, but it's really not a big deal.  
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2006, 08:58:18 AM »
What's considered a frame rate dip?  As long as it isn't like Perfect Dark I probably wouldn't even notice it.

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 09:06:46 AM »
Umm... Are you talking about the "pause" after hitting some enemies.  Because that's just Nintendo being artistic, but it makes everyone think the game is slowing down.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 09:21:45 AM »
Perhaps, I only noticed it a couple times.  I think I remember it happening when I spin-attack tons of enemies, which made me think it was slow down.

Whatever it is, it's a non-issue.  Perfect Dark is a whole other story
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 01:28:26 PM »
For having the graphics it has I expected some drop in framerate, but in comparison with MM is worst or better? MM had some really huge drops in some bosses.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Famicom

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 01:46:48 PM »
About the controls from the Gamespot review:

"The combat controls are more conventional on the GameCube, since you won't be shaking the controller around to attack (though if you've already played the Wii version, expect to feel dumb when you start to shake your WaveBird and wonder why nothing's happening), but the Wii controls actually end up feeling more precise in a direct comparison. It's easier and faster to aim your arrows, boomerang, or other targeted items using the Wii Remote. It's easier to move the camera around with the Wii Remote, too. While the GameCube controller is more precise when it comes to swinging your sword, the easier aiming and spin attack make the Wii version's combat controls superior, even though they have a few issues of their own.

"Also, the spin attack has been changed quite a bit. On the Wii, you execute a spin attack by shaking the Nunchuk controller attachment. After you perform the move, there's a downtime when you can't spin, and the Wii speaker makes a noise to let you know when it's available again. The GameCube version works the opposite way. Instead of being immediately available, you have to charge up the spin attack by holding down B. This is how it's been done in previous Zelda games, so it's not a huge deal, but having the spin attack available at a moment's notice makes it a significantly more useful maneuver on the Wii."
Oops pow suprise!

Offline Smoke39

• Smoking is only bad for you if you're not made of smoke already
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 04:17:35 PM »
They took out the quick spin attack from OoT and MM?  I use it all the time in those two games.
GOREGASM!

Offline MorningStar

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 08:50:53 PM »
They didn't take out out. I think what they're saying is that you have to "charge it up" like it OoT. Remember how you would hit "A" and Link would swing his sword pause for about half a second and THEN hold his spin attack? In the Wii version, you just shake the nunchuck and he does it right away. You cannot hold the spin attack stance.

Offline chrislavine

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2006, 01:14:38 AM »
With the Gamecube Version, and I hope I'm just being dumb, but I am not finding an invert controller option anywhere.  I don't mind the up down thing, but when controling the camera wit hteh yellow "c" stick, when I puch left, the camera goes right and vice versa.  Anyone else have this issue.  It is currently making this game less fun then it should be.  Anyone else having this issue???

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2006, 01:56:55 AM »

Originally posted by: Smoke39
They took out the quick spin attack from OoT and MM?  I use it all the time in those two games.
Nop, it's still there according to a GoNintendo video...
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline willie1234

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2006, 05:36:22 PM »
playing it now and its a blast.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2006, 06:48:26 AM »
The sword now has that spark wandering to its tip like Lttp.

Camera easier to control on the Wii? Why did people tell me there are no camera controls on the Wii???

Offline Mario

• IWATA BOAT!?
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2006, 10:55:01 AM »
Because there isn't.

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2006, 06:51:08 PM »
Just picked up the GC version of TP. I was at Walmart, and  I assume someone returned it, so I gladly bought it up. I am going to avoid unwrapping it and wait to see if a restock happens and I can get it for cheaper than the full $50. It does feel slightly painful knowing I spent over $100 on Twilight Princess.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2006, 06:57:02 PM »
Well I'll try to pick up the GC version for collection puposes but I doubt I'll ever play it.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2006, 01:06:56 AM »

Originally posted by: VGrevolution
Well I'll try to pick up the GC version for collection puposes but I doubt I'll ever play it.

Will you never play it because it will feel inferior in some way? or because you aren't big on second playthroughs?

I'm actually really curious to play the game knowing it is all going to be opposite from the Wii version. Plus, the control scheme it uses is tried and true and I know I can still enjoy the game that way. I call myself a collector and I have a pretty decent collection started, but I don't like keeping games in their packaging. Games are meant to be played IMHO, so that's what I do with all of them regardless of what they will be worth one day. Frankly, I know I would never even dream of selling my collection, so why take it super serious.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2006, 05:15:02 AM »
Mega Man Anniversary Collection and Metal Gear are not meant to be played.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2006, 05:25:24 AM »
"Well I'll try to pick up the GC version for collection puposes but I doubt I'll ever play it."

I'm sure someone who can't find it but wants to play it will appreciate that.

I figure it's worth playing even if you have the Wii version because Link is left-handed.  So what?  Well apparently the original design of the overworld was to mimic the general layout of Hyrule in Ocarina of Time.  But by reversing the whole game in the Wii version that design doesn't have the familiarity it's supposed to have.  I think I read that in 1UP's review of the Cube version.  I've tried to stay mostly spoiler free so I don't know all the details.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2006, 06:56:59 AM »
In my GC version Kakariko lies to the east of the plains. I think they're clinging too much to past design decisions on that, LttP didn't try to replicate LoZ's Hyrule, did it?

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2006, 06:59:18 AM »
"I think they're clinging too much to past design decisions on that, LttP didn't try to replicate LoZ's Hyrule, did it?"

How could it?  The original Hyrule is pretty much just a bunch of caves at the base of Death Mountain.  It doesn't even have villages.