Author Topic: F-Zero GC/AC connection  (Read 4016 times)

Offline Calibretto

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
F-Zero GC/AC connection
« on: February 17, 2003, 12:27:22 PM »
F-Zero GC at the top of my Gamecube wish list, (just under Zelda of course.)  What I want to know though, is if anyone has heard any more rumors or info about the connection between the arcade and console versions.  I know it is a bit early to begin speculation, and that not many details have been released yet, but I was hoping that someone else may have heard more than I.  Also, does anyone know the tenative release date?

Now that I have made my request for info, let me offer my (completly unfounded) ideas about what the memory card connection will entail.
I think that the most likely feature would be a transferance of satistics and scores, allowing for personal records and time attack "gosts" to be swapped between the acade and console.  I hope they will implement a more substantial and interesting feature, such as the ability to build custom tracks in a editor mode on the Gamecube version, then to leave them on the Arcade to be played by other people.  Such a thing would be exceedingly cool.  If you could mark your name on the custom track file, everyone could know who made it.  It would be such an awesome thing to go to the arcade and check what high scores and lap times had been set on your own map.  But that seems a very unlikey feature.

So, post your news and rumors, and any ideas or hopes for the memory card connectivity ability.
"This makes the master of the Gun-Katas an opponent not to be taken lightly..."

Offline Edisim

• View Profile
F-Zero GC/AC connection
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2003, 12:50:48 PM »
Adding to your idea... it would be cool to be able to download those tracks to the memcard to bring home as well. then you could practice on someone else's track and beat them at it in the arcades.

you know what would be really cool? If the arcade machine occassionally got new tracks, cars, etc. (via online or just a memcard from nintendo/sega/whoever being plugged in by the arcade owner) and we users could go to the arcade to get new stuff for our home/gc game. it's win-win. more people in the arcade is good for the arcade's business, and new tracks/etc mean extended replay value for the customers.

Offline Smadte

• View Profile
F-Zero GC/AC connection
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2003, 12:56:01 PM »
Wouldn't it be super cool if Nintendo DID include all that shnazy stuff, when I don't even have an arcade in my town to try it out? Hell, yeah. That would be great.

Offline Gamer Donkey

• View Profile
F-Zero GC/AC connection
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2003, 12:58:49 PM »
Of course, one would be able to win new tracks and vehicles in the awesome arcade experience. Plus New vehicles could be added by the designers via whatever(to qoute edism)to be taken home and raced.

Plus having the memory card allows you to play like say, one free game a day. That way if you keep winning you can play for free but if you lose the arcade owners won't lose their business.
"Heh, i just saw a petition somewhere for Halo to come to PS2. Hey look a green donkey!"

-Mario (Just found it interesting...)

The Gaming Donkey has returned.

Offline Sean

• View Profile
F-Zero GC/AC connection
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2003, 01:04:49 PM »
I really wish the arcade lifestyle wasn't so completely dead.  It's so depressing.  Okay, it's not COMPLETELY dead, but really, it's pretty lifeless and overrun by those BIG ARCADE GAMES that are like mini-roller coasters.  Anyway, your ideas would be pretty sweet.  Maybe they could upload the custom levels by some kind of play-ranking.  The highest rated levels would be randomly uploaded or something.  I'm guessing this is really out of the question considering the state of arcades and the money this would demand, but it never hurts to imagine.  

A cheaper way would of course be in allowing you to use your own mem. cards to upload it, but I think, in America at least, this hasn't worked too well.  Most of those ports I've seen have been filled with things that I wouldn't want my memory card anywhere near.

Ahh...the days of setting quarters on the Street Fighter II cabinets, thus solidifying your place in line.  Long.  Gone.
"I think that if the devil does not exist,
and man has therefore created him,
he has created him in his own image and likeness."
from Fyodor Dostoevsky's THE BROTHERS KARAMAZOV

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
F-Zero GC/AC connection
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2003, 01:23:18 PM »
"such as the ability to build custom tracks in a editor mode on the Gamecube version, then to leave them on the Arcade to be played by other people. Such a thing would be exceedingly cool. If you could mark your name on the custom track file, everyone could know who made it. It would be such an awesome thing to go to the arcade and check what high scores and lap times had been set on your own map."

That is such a cool idea but it's hurt by a few things:

1. Hardly anyone goes to arcades anymore so a lot of the appeal of having other people play your track is lost.  It's really only cool if you're part of a regular arcade crowd and a lot of the regulars know who you are and that that's YOUR track.  Sadly with today's arcades that sort of atmosphere isn't as common.  Some people blame it on consoles catching up to arcades.  I blame it on the fact that every game costs like a buck to play.  A buck used to play four games and now it plays only one.  Gee I can't imagine why no one hangs out at arcades anymore.

2. Where are the tracks stored?  Obviously there's going to be limited space for user tracks so some dumbsh!t could conceivably copy over your track.

It's still a really cool idea it just needs some tweaks.  What would work better is if F-Zero was online and people could post tracks up on a website for people to download.  THAT would kick ass.  They could even make the Arcade machines be able to download content.

In reality the best Nintendo and Sega would probably do would be to allow you to play your own tracks on the arcade machine but the track is "lost" once you remove your memory card.

Offline gopher

• View Profile
F-Zero GC/AC connection
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2003, 01:40:41 PM »
That would be the best thing nintendo ever did. That would make the arcade games for fun even though u have played it a million times. Seeing your name on who made the track would be cool also.

It would also be cool if we can download tracks and cars from the internet.

Offline Calibretto

• View Profile
F-Zero GC/AC connection
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2003, 03:30:16 PM »

Originally posted by: Edisim
Adding to your idea... it would be cool to be able to download those tracks to the memcard to bring home as well. then you could practice on someone else's track and beat them at it in the arcades.

you know what would be really cool? If the arcade machine occassionally got new tracks, cars, etc. (via online or just a memcard from nintendo/sega/whoever being plugged in by the arcade owner) and we users could go to the arcade to get new stuff for our home/gc game. it's win-win. more people in the arcade is good for the arcade's business, and new tracks/etc mean extended replay value for the customers.

I agree, Edisim; being able to take the traks homw would be awesome.  And to address what Ian Sane said: you are correct that it would be hard to implement, and it is true that not as many people use arcades these days.  But I think Nintendo is trying to revive the arcade a bit with the introduction of the Triforce and they must think it is worth it to make an arcade version of F-Zero.  And if they want to improve arcade attendence, they should try some crazy schemes and feature such as these ideas to get people back in arcades.  I know I would attend my arcacde more if I could get extra tracks and vehicles.  And they could add a hard drive to the acade machine that could hold a fair amount of custom tracks and/or vehicles.  It could then prioritize the tracks it order of newest or most used to decide which ones to write over.  There are ways to make it work.. But you are correct that it is highly unlikely.  But here's hoping anyway!
"This makes the master of the Gun-Katas an opponent not to be taken lightly..."

Offline dalmation10k

• View Profile
F-Zero GC/AC connection
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2003, 03:38:45 PM »
I think the most likely link-up would probably just be using a custom made car that you made on the GC, at the arcade.
Don't you want to know how we keep starting fires?

Offline David G

• View Profile
F-Zero GC/AC connection
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2003, 05:55:46 AM »

Originally posted by: dalmation10k
I think the most likely link-up would probably just be using a custom made car that you made on the GC, at the arcade.

I 2nd that,  custom cars will be loaded into the AC.