Author Topic: Metroid Hoax Sights Pop Up  (Read 5486 times)

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
Metroid Hoax Sights Pop Up
« on: October 20, 2004, 11:11:44 AM »
It's like Perfect Dark all over again.

Prior to the launch of Perfect Dark on the Ninteno 64, Nintendo launched a website for the DataDyne corporation. DataDyne was the mysterious company featured in Perfect Dark.

With the launch of Metroid Prime 2: Echoes dawning soon, Nintendo is back at it with two new websites: Channel 51 and Orbis Labs.  

The first site appears to be a site dedicated to proving conspiracies, and is loaded with all sorts of mysterious videos about aliens and UFOs (some of which is quite obviously footage from Metroid Prime 2 run though a program like Adobe's After Effects to distort it). The site also features a profile of its creator, a female scientist going by the name Samantha Manus, born in Sumas, WA, with a background in aeronautics and system design.

The other site, Orbis Labs, belongs to a military contractor. The "company" is currently developing a new device called the “Battle Sphere.” This weapon will enclose its driver inside and roll around the battlefield. Also, it has a pair of thermal cannons attached to either side for assault. The site says that video of the Battle Sphere is coming soon. There’s also a login area for “government officials.” There’s no doubt that this will soon be cracked by fans, similar to what happened to the DataDyne website.

These two sites offer an interesting glimpse into Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, but sadly don’t offer anything much in the way of new information. Most of the recognizable video on Channel 51 is from trailers of the game that have been out for a long time. The only possible hint at features is a thermal cannon power-up for Samus’ morph ball form, but this seems unlikely. Still though, it’s fun to poke around the sites. Perhaps the sites will become more interesting as we grow closer to release and more is revealed.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
RE: Metroid Hoax Sights Pop Up
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 12:13:41 PM »
It's like Perfect Dark all over again but with 60 FPS, right? =D
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline InfinitysEnd

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 12:22:45 PM »
Don't know if you guys already knew this, but there's a couple of domains taken that all show our favorite Bounty Hunter's Helmet with a special message.  I'm sure this is Nintendo's doing, since they're obviously knocking off of Halo 2's "ilovebees.com"

www.ilovebeams.com
www.iloveknees.com
www.iloveskis.com
www.ilovekeys.com

It's pretty funny!

Offline joshnickerson

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
RE:Metroid Hoax Sights Pop Up
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 12:53:41 PM »
Didn't they do a similar campaign for Majora's Mask too?

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 01:28:28 PM »
wow, I didnt know about this market moves, seems interesting, but it doesnt really seems to build up hype except for hardcore fans.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline VideoGamerJ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 02:16:20 PM »
Warppipe is doing this as well (if it's considered the same thing). I remember the PD one oh so well, brings back memories. Here's something I thought was clever, if anyone caught it yet.

On the Channel 51 site for the mp3 sunglasses VIEWED HERE, it has a direct link to Time VIEWED HERE and if you click the next product on that link, it will take you to the Nintendo DS ironically showing Metroid Prime. Hmm.

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2004, 08:23:28 PM »

Originally posted by: InfinitysEnd
Don't know if you guys already knew this, but there's a couple of domains taken that all show our favorite Bounty Hunter's Helmet with a special message.  I'm sure this is Nintendo's doing, since they're obviously knocking off of Halo 2's "ilovebees.com"

www.ilovebeams.com
www.iloveknees.com
www.iloveskis.com
www.ilovekeys.com

It's pretty funny!

Actually, those domins don't seem to be registered to Nintendo. I doubt that nintendo would do an "all your base" reference.

Did anyone happen to figure out the password for Orbos Labs web site? I'm fairly certain (considering the speed) that the login.php file(at this point) just takes you to invalid.htm, but I could be wrong.
Stuff.

Offline JB

• The Grandfather of All Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 09:06:47 PM »

Originally posted by: Squiggles the Chao

Originally posted by: InfinitysEnd

www.ilovebeams.com
www.iloveknees.com
www.iloveskis.com
www.ilovekeys.com

It's pretty funny!

Actually, those domins don't seem to be registered to Nintendo. I doubt that nintendo would do an "all your base" reference.

Did anyone happen to figure out the password for Orbos Labs web site? I'm fairly certain (considering the speed) that the login.php file(at this point) just takes you to invalid.htm, but I could be wrong.

The ilove domains are all registered by a Tony Novak. Guess who registered the Channel 51 and Orbis Labs domains? That's right, Tony Novak! Nintendo has used the names of employees and fake companies before to register domain names, so that's probably what happened here.
AC Name:Jan
Town:Zooropa

Offline TMW

• The Man Whore, if you're wondering.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 02:51:46 AM »
...why does the name Tony Novak sound familiar...  Is he an actual Nintendo bigwig or somesuch?  
Jesus saves! Everyone else, roll for damage.<BR><BR>Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean there's not an invisible monster about to eat your face off.

Offline odifiend

• "Who's the tough guy now Vinnie?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2004, 04:31:58 AM »
Now if only they'd do some real advertising... ;_______;
Kiss the Cynic!

Offline Renny

• Satin
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2004, 12:09:53 PM »
"... i only see pS2s at the halfway house so its those crazy druggies playing them." - animecyberrat

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2004, 01:08:08 PM »
So the advertising wave is already starting with Willy Wonka? ;_;
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~