Author Topic: Team Fortess 2 now FREE  (Read 10337 times)

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
Team Fortess 2 now FREE
« on: June 26, 2011, 07:09:03 AM »
Valve is now giving away Team Fortess 2 minus a few hat related things.

I loved Team Fortess so I'm in the process of installing Steam now despite the fact that I don't think my computer will be able to run TF2.  It has taken me about an hour to download, update steam, create an account and then update steam again.  You think they could make their store a bit easier to freaking download, I haven't even started on the game yet

edit:  After preparing my download for another 15 minutes it gives me an "all download servers are busy" notice.  I thought Steam was supposed to be some hot **** pc gaming service and yet I can't even download a game from it?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 09:51:19 AM by SixthAngel »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Team Fortess 2 now FREE
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 10:48:03 AM »
If the news just got out that TF2 is free I could see that causing all its file servers to be busy.  I never had that message before.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 11:27:31 AM »
The servers are probably swamped as everyone in the world attempts to download the game. Really, it's one of the few games worth putting up with Steam for. It's a great title, and still worth full retail price. I got it a looong time ago in The Orange Box, which was a deal in itself. I kind of lost interest once they introduced the crafting stuff though. Maybe I'll pick it back up now that they're is going to be such a huge player base again.

Or maybe I'll just find the old mod files and install it back into GL Quake or Quakeworld... I'm sure there are still servers up for that. :)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 01:57:29 PM by Morari »
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 11:45:33 AM »
Huh, well it downloaded fine for me in minutes.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 04:35:13 PM »
All these new players are easy pickin's

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 04:47:18 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up!  They must have resolved the server issues; I was able to download my copy very quickly.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 11:17:20 PM »
Its sort of amazing how muscle memory works.  Its been 9 years since I regularly played this way and the first thing in the training I had to tweak up the mouse sensitivity and move the reload to mouse.  Also started using the shovel alot...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 05:59:41 AM »
Make sure you set the option for fast weapon switching!

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 08:09:03 AM »
Make sure you set the option for fast weapon switching!
I was wondering if it had that.  Where is it?  I didn't see it or I probably put that on as well.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 06:31:11 PM »
I've had this for a long time thanks to the Orange Box, but I've never played it.  Kind of feel like a chump now.

I guess this explains the TF2 beta I've had available in my Steam library.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 06:35:34 PM »
I downloaded it because it was free, but haven't played it yet. This would probably be a good time, with a lot of new players in there I'd probably have an easier time.

I now have the entire Orange Box, having paid about $5 total, between getting this and Portal for free and the rest on sale for practically nothing
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 08:55:56 PM »
I don't think I've paid for anything based on HL2 except Portal 2 and that includes HL2.

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 09:27:20 PM »
Finally downloaded.  It took a week and a half to not get a "servers are busy notice" and then about another week and a half to download it at the slow download speeds the steam servers had at all but certain times of the day.  I'm happy that my computer can run it fine though.  I did the training and had some slowdown but it turned out it was because my computer was also controlling 15 bots on the same screen, multiplayer is silky smooth.

The game itself is pretty great.  There are some excellent additions over the original like ubercharging that add some more strategy to the game.
My go to guys right now are the Heavy and the medic.  I love walking beside the cart or charging the enemy whether I'm the one shooting or the one doing the healing.  I really like the spy but for some reason it seems like every time I try to stab someone in the back they immediately turn making me stab them in the side.

I do think that hats and weapons have gone too far.  I'm playing and there are these demomen with freaking ninja swords that basically make them an entirely new class based on melee attacks.  Its hard to prepare to fight these guys when I don't really know what they are capable of because I can't do it myself.  Some of the guns and stuff are okay, they offer some very slight changes but ones like the sword seem ridiculous.  I played a pyro for one game and another pyro just kept murdering me, even when he was already wounded.  After about my fifth death it pops up on my screen that he has some kind of flamethrower that absolutely kicks my ass.

If anybody wants to play a game or trade (apparently I can't initiate) my steam id is spinningcats.  I'll probably lag up US or euro servers but I wouldn't mind trying to play with some people here sometime.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 09:36:27 PM by SixthAngel »

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 02:22:43 AM »
I grabbed the freebie a couple of weeks ago.  I am having quite a bit of fun with it. 

My favourite class is probably the medic.  2nd is the pyro.  I am absolutely terrible with the engineer.  I don't know how people use him successfully.  I think it is a genetic impossibility to use him.

My steam ID is ShortyM.  Feel free to add me.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 02:33:07 AM »
Is there any reason for me to get this if I already own it as part of The Orange Box?
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2011, 02:34:54 AM »
No, unless you have the XBox one or something. You already have this if you have PC Orange Box.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 02:47:43 AM »
I do own the Xbox 360 version. I liked the game, but am not a fan of games that are online only. I would have loved it if there was an option to play offline with bots.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 03:49:00 AM »
I believe there are bots and lesson modes and stuff now, but I've never played them. There's a mountain of content that's come out since the initial release that's not in the XBox version, not to mention balancing and bugfixes. I played the XBox one once and people were shooting through opening gates and stuff, it was awful

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 05:49:38 AM »
I do own the Xbox 360 version. I liked the game, but am not a fan of games that are online only. I would have loved it if there was an option to play offline with bots.

Yeah, there is an offline mode with bots.  No missions or anything, just the multiplayer game but with bots instead of people.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 09:18:00 AM »
You know I haven't been able to find a live game everytime I try.  The Server list just never loads after letting it sit for a while.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 04:22:07 PM »

Yeah, there is an offline mode with bots.  No missions or anything, just the multiplayer game but with bots instead of people.

Must be with the PC version. I remember playing the Xbox 360 version and the only option was to play online.

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 10:55:47 PM »
Steam won't let me add friends until I buy a game.
I'm sure I'll get one eventually but I don't like being pushed into it by gimping the free game I've been given.

There are quite a few douchebags online.  I joined a few servers the other day that had a mod which gave everyone with a free acount [free] next to there name.
I'm sure this is done to intimidate/bring people down but the funny part was that the top guys on both team had free accounts.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 10:59:19 PM by SixthAngel »

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2011, 01:00:25 AM »
You don't have to purchase a game. You could just get something from the ManCo store. Of course, you'd be better off with an inexpensive game than some micro-transaction crap. :)

Offline SixthAngel

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2011, 01:24:04 AM »
You don't have to purchase a game. You could just get something from the ManCo store. Of course, you'd be better off with an inexpensive game than some micro-transaction crap. :)

That's why I'll get a game when they have the right one for the right price.  I'm never going to buy any MannCo. stuff.  I honestly don't know why Valve hasn't given away more free games before.  The thing that holds people back is that they don't actually have the steam store.  Giving away a game or two gives people your store irregardless of stupid hat microtransactions that they seem to be gunning for.

Is there anything I can do with locked boxes?  I'm not going to buy a key but can I craft them or anything?

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2011, 01:52:01 AM »
You should have picked something up last week during the Summer Sale. You could have had Killing Floor or Left 4 Dead 2 for $5 a piece. :P

I don't have a answer for the boxes. I've admittedly been out of the loop on Team Fortress for a while. The new blood is tempting me back in though. Now my friends have little excuse not to form a team with me.