Author Topic: New Gameboy  (Read 22134 times)

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
RE:New Gameboy
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2006, 07:11:46 AM »
or the hand held could just be the scran and harware and yo by Gc controllers seperatley thast probabaly hte simplist solution and the only feesabel way to do it.  
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2006, 07:32:17 AM »
that would suggest having to rest the screen somewhere... which would make it decidedly unportable. the screen and control need to be physically attached, whether detachable for repairs or not. it would be simpler to just have the analog sticks removable, it would cost a lot less.  
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline IceCold

• I love you Vanilla Ice!
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2006, 12:10:44 PM »

Originally posted by: MaryJane

Originally posted by: IceCold
Nintendo has almost completely shifted their focus to the DS; there are only very few first party titles coming out for the GBA at the moment. So they haven't stopped making GBA games, but they've dramatically decreased their focus on it. If a Game Boy and the DS were to coexist, it just wouldn't work.

I'm not trying to be a prick or anything, but just trying to understand you. But aren't they co-existing right now? Yes more focus is being put on the ds, but where I live I still see many more people walking around playing gb than ds, as a matter of fact besides my brother and one old lady, i've never seen anyone around here playing ds.

rats posts made me think that we wont be seeing the new gameboy for a couple years, they just released the micro after all. they would wait at least 2 or 2 1/2 years to release a new gb.

oh i just remembered I've seen another person playing ds, my mom cuz i sold her my old one, expecting my dsl to be here alrdy.
I mean "coexist" in that being at the peak of their popularity at the same time. As I said earlier, if Nintendo were to do this, I would much rather they wait until the DS is dying, then release the new Game Boy. Then when that is dying, release a new DS or whatever. I just don't want both of them to overlap completely..
"I used to sell furniture for a living. The trouble was, it was my own."
---------------------------------------------
"If your parents never had children, chances are you won't either."
----------------------------
"If it weren't for electricity we'd all be watching television by the candlelig

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 06, 2006, 12:23:47 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"Nintendo isn't supporting just two systems right now, they're supporting 4"

They're really supporting the Cube and the Rev at the same time though.  I figure once the Rev is released Cube releases will abruptly stop.  

That's a good point, but it again brings up the question: if the DS was just the new gameboy, and they weren't serious about 3 pillars, why didn't GBA software stop as soon as the DS hit the market?

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: New Gameboy
« Reply #104 on: March 06, 2006, 12:37:19 PM »
"if the DS was just the new gameboy, and they weren't serious about 3 pillars, why didn't GBA software stop as soon as the DS hit the market?"

Same reason the NES and SNES had games released after their successor was released.  With popular systems a few games still are released to milk the old system.  But the old console is never supported on the same level as the new one.  The current GBA release schedule is nothing out of the oridinary.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 06, 2006, 12:52:27 PM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
"if the DS was just the new gameboy, and they weren't serious about 3 pillars, why didn't GBA software stop as soon as the DS hit the market?"

Same reason the NES and SNES had games released after their successor was released.  With popular systems a few games still are released to milk the old system.  But the old console is never supported on the same level as the new one.  The current GBA release schedule is nothing out of the oridinary.

Except this isn't just after launch... we're almost a year and a half into the DS lifespan now. I could see a window of a few months, and a trickle of cash in titles, but Nintendo's released two iterations of the Gameboy (Micro and the new backlit SP) hardware and at a dozen solid Nintendo-published titles since then.  

I don't ever recall more than a few month overlap on any past systems for significant first party support...  

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 06, 2006, 01:31:44 PM »
"I don't ever recall more than a few month overlap on any past systems for significant first party support..."

The NES had games released for it until 1994.  Now I didn't consider those games significant but I don't consider the GBA support from the DS launch on as significant either.  Is Nintendo making their really major games on the GBA?  No.  The high profile stuff, at least high profile portable stuff, is all on the DS.  The only GBA title that came out after the DS that I consider a major title is Minish Cap and that could have come out before but was intentionally delayed.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 06, 2006, 01:50:14 PM »
What about Donkey Kong: King of Swing, Pokemon Emerald, Fire Emblem 2, Donkey Kong Country 3, Yoshi Topsy Turvey, Warioware Twisted, and Mario Tennis?

It seems to me the GBA got as much meaningful first party support in 2005 as it did in 2004. We saw a huge drop off in NES support almost the minute the SNES hit (even though, as you say, there was a trickle of games coming out for years), we're just now starting to see the GBA come into a slow spot 16 months after the DS hit market... and it's not even clear at this point whether this slowdown is permanent or just Nintendo's usual quiet early spring.  

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 07, 2006, 12:40:03 PM »
you forgot, tales of phantasia a game i will most certainly be picking up.

the gb is far from dead. and before it dies it will reborn. gc discs? most likely. 3d screen? sometimes dreams do come true. once again kick the ass of every portable system (besides the ds)? of course.
i can garuntee e3 is going to show a host of gb games, there will probably be more ds games, but the ds is newer so of course it will receive more attention, much like how the rev is going to get more attention than the ds, even though the ds is doing great.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline animecyberrat

• Official NWR Lindsay Lohan Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2006, 07:24:07 PM »
this is the one I meant to edit cuz i realised that everything I was gonna say had already been said before.  
"You can call me THE RAT, thank you very much"