Author Topic: Wait, GameCube is more powerful than 3DS?  (Read 27068 times)

Offline Nile Boogie Returns

• Tropical Freeze
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
Wait, GameCube is more powerful than 3DS?
« on: September 21, 2014, 09:37:44 AM »
 Learning that Ice Climber's were cut from the roster cause they couldn't get them to work on 3DS but they workwd on 15 year old hardware is kinda cray to me.  I thought at worst they would be on par with each other with the push going to the 3DS.

I don't know what I expected?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
Re: Wait, GameCube is more powerful than 3DS?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 10:19:10 AM »
Gamecube is a beast.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 10:41:28 AM »
Ice Climbers may have worked on 3DS in single player mode but created issues in online multiplayer, possibly even in local multiplayer. One or two players may have been fine. The problem could have been if all four players chose Ice Climbers and caused latency issues. Even though four player Ice Climbers matches probably don't happen too often, the developers can't artificially limit that in the game.

This reasoning is fine with me. However, the Ice Climbers should still be in the Wii U version, parity be damned.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 10:48:16 AM »
It's kind of hard to compare the 3DS to the GameCube. GameCube uses a RISC processor and ATI GPU, 3DS uses two ARM processors. Different clockspeeds, completely different architecture. Either way that sounds like a cop out excuse (or just very poorly worded or poorly translated) and nothing a company (except maybe Ubisioft) would actually say. Having aid that, I haven't seen anything on 3DS that looks better than something the GameCube could pull off, including Smash Bros.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 02:25:13 PM »
Well Smash on the cube doesn't look as good as Smash on the 3DS. I know there are many factors in why that is . Melee was practically a GC launch title. Twilight Princess is the best looking GameCube to me I'm not sure that would be a problem on the 3DS.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 02:29:53 PM »
In addition to the better graphics than Melee, the game also seems to have more stuff going on as well. Some characters have some crazy moves, some stages seem more complex with more going on, there are more items with variances like the Assist Trophy... and they want all this to run at 60fps with no dips. I can believe it.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 02:37:52 PM »
In addition to the better graphics than Melee, the game also seems to have more stuff going on as well. Some characters have some crazy moves, some stages seem more complex with more going on, there are more items with variances like the Assist Trophy... and they want all this to run at 60fps with no dips. I can believe it.

ALL IN 3D!

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 03:58:40 PM »
Yeah I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with that "Smash Bros. for 3DS has better graphics than Melee" idea. The quasi-cel shading effect is pretty cool, and the 3DS version has the benefit of basing the character textures on newer versions (like Skyward Sword Link vs Ocarina of Time Link) but there is a lot more going on in the backgrounds on Melee and you can compare characters like Bowser and see that he looks much better in Melee. Of course Smash Bros. Melee also runs at nearly 4x the resolution of the 3DS game.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 05:46:18 PM »
The backgrounds in Melee are pretty barren. Some of the stages with more going on feature some simplistic models. Take Big Blue for example. The machines are very plain Nd the background is a whole lot of nothing. It's possible Hal Labs was trying to match the look of F-Zero X though I think inexperience with the hardware is certainly a possibility for the way some stages look. Battlefield in Melee doesn't even really have a background. Point being, that's not the example I'd use.

Had Melee been a 2004 release, not a launch window title, I don't think we'd be having this conversation. Super Smash Bros. for 3DS looks excellent on the screen it's made for. As Brandogg mentioned, Melee runs at a higher resolution and the 3DS game hides some of its graphical deficiencies this way. Once you get a closer look at the character models (like on the victory screen), you can see that they aren't quite as smooth as Melee's.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 06:48:10 PM »
3ds is more powerful than gamecube, comparing smash bros to smash bros is a bad example with power comparisons. There are some 3ds games that look like ps3 games. If i were to guess it probably relates to how the zoom works in smash bros, the small screen makes that not work so well. On a big screen you can have the zelda 2 level zoom out super far, but you wouldn't want that with 3ds(or even psp/vita). Ice climbers need to have distance between other players to be functional characters.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 06:43:03 PM »
Aside from the characters, Melee has always seemed very low-poly to me. The 3DS game looks a lot more smooth in that regard. There are a lot of what-ifs surrounding what Melee would be like as a later release, so I won't get into that.

But yes, GameCube does seem more powerful than 3DS on a practical level. I have yet to see a 3DS game that matches the best output on GameCube in terms of graphics and scale, and even year-to-year comparisons probably still put GameCube ahead. Metroid Prime is a 2002 game and it still seems above anything on 3DS.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 08:22:34 PM »
Rogue Leader looks better than anything I've seen on 3DS, and just about anything on Wii for that matter.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 08:51:39 PM »
Gamecube is a beast.
There are games that were on the system that could still be mistaken for PS4/XBone games.  Just that good.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline ObbyDent

• Too reasonable for this forum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 09:08:37 PM »
There are games that were on the system that could still be mistaken for PS4/XBone games.  Just that good.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 09:15:45 PM by ObbyDent »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 09:47:58 PM »
There's great looking prerendered stuff on GameCube too. And I doubt any PS4/Xbone game running on an SDTV would look better than Wind Waker, because I doubt it's possible to look better than that at that resolution.

EDIT: Also, F-Zero GX in motion looks about as good as you can as well.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 09:56:06 PM by NWR_insanolord »
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ObbyDent

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2014, 10:16:26 PM »
None of those pictures are pre-rendered. Hell, the two middle scenes were pictures taken directly from gameplay.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 12:50:12 AM »
Yes, those are all running in real time. I don't want to hate on GameCube, but it's a crime to even try to compare even something like Wind Waker to any retail PS4 or Xbone game, even running at 480p.

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 12:55:11 AM »
...but, but Wind Waker is the best looking game of all time so how can any game look better?

(and Brandogg is totally right about Rouge Leader, That game needs an HD remake...and it will never, EVER happen.)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2014, 01:39:04 AM »
Even on Wii U, Wind Waker HD would never get mistaken for a (retail) PS4 or Xbone game.

Offline ObbyDent

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2014, 01:54:39 AM »
I think a lot of you guys are confusing fantastic art direction for amazing graphics. There really isn't anything special about Wind Waker HD. It has fantastic art direction, which is why it can look good even today. Okami and Beyond Good & Evil are similar games. But its completely ridiculous to compare a Gamecube game to a current gen console.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2014, 01:59:55 AM »
It depends on what you mean by that. Wind Waker (and I think most games of Nintendo's that you'd laud graphically) are more impressive for their art style than their technical merit. I don't think Wind Waker would really look any better on PS4 than it does on Wii U.

EDIT: Right, what Oblivion said. Purely on a technical basis comparing GameCube to PS4 is ludicrous.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2014, 10:01:23 AM »
I think a lot of you guys are confusing fantastic art direction for amazing graphics. There really isn't anything special about Wind Waker HD. It has fantastic art direction, which is why it can look good even today. Okami and Beyond Good & Evil are similar games. But its completely ridiculous to compare a Gamecube game to a current gen console.
And you're confusing amazing graphics with photo-realistic art design. The descriptor, amazing, is just that - an opinion. It's just as if saying Wind Waker has fantastic art direction, too.

And yes, there are games on GameCube when played on the appropriate television set (a 480i/p standard CRT) that look just as great as PS4/Xbox One/Wii U games. Rogue Leader, Wind Waker, Resident Evil 4, Soul Calibur II, Star Fox Adventures (ridiculous fur effects), Pikmin, F-Zero GX, and even Beyond Good & Evil.

Art style or photo-realism..or not, appropriate to its original resolution and viewed on its respective display, yes, these GC games look just as good as the games' and their respective screenshots you posted (look, I can opinion, too!)
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

• Tropical Freeze
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2014, 11:12:31 AM »
I don't think there is a definitive opinion on "graphics" or better yet its a combination of both technical merit and art direction. There are flat out ugly, highly technical games on ps360 that I would consider far worse looking than some PS2 / GC / XBOX, (the first one, xbox2001) games. For my money the best looking games are ones that marry both side of the of the array to a nice harmony.

WW
JET GRIND RADIO...MY GOD!
Street Fight 3 3rd strike

just off the top, these games have sequels that don't surpass them in terms of "graphics" even with more bits, RAM shaders and all that.

Offline ObbyDent

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2014, 12:15:23 PM »
And you're confusing amazing graphics with photo-realistic art design. The descriptor, amazing, is just that - an opinion. It's just as if saying Wind Waker has fantastic art direction, too.

And yes, there are games on GameCube when played on the appropriate television set (a 480i/p standard CRT) that look just as great as PS4/Xbox One/Wii U games. Rogue Leader, Wind Waker, Resident Evil 4, Soul Calibur II, Star Fox Adventures (ridiculous fur effects), Pikmin, F-Zero GX, and even Beyond Good & Evil.

Art style or photo-realism..or not, appropriate to its original resolution and viewed on its respective display, yes, these GC games look just as good as the games' and their respective screenshots you posted (look, I can opinion, too!)

Sure, amazing graphics is an opinion and I could be wrong about whether or not they look just as good, but this is not an opinion:

There is no game on the Gamecube that can be "mistaken" for a retail PS4/Xbone game. None. Regardless of art style vs. technical merit. If you can post a screenshot of a game that could be mistaken for a game on either console, I will completely concede to the multiple points that I disagree with and bow out of the argument. I am 100% confident that that game does not exist.

Oh, and just as a little aside, Journey (A PS3 game!) doesn't have photo-realistic graphics and looks x1000 times better than Wind Waker.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 12:17:35 PM by ObbyDent »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2014, 01:57:23 PM »
PS4/One is certainly a stretch. Screenshots of Resident Evil Revelaitons appeared close to Resident Evil 5 on PS3/360 at a glance. Once I got the game in my hands, I didn't make that mistake anymore. Revelaitons looks good for a 3DS game, but let's not give it too much credit. The game has a direction comparison and the Wii U version mops the floor with it.