Author Topic: Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE - 2016 Wii U GOTY by default  (Read 73934 times)

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE (June 24) - Now with 100% less censorship!
« Reply #100 on: March 03, 2016, 06:26:22 PM »

From the Direct:

My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline Evan_B

• Formally known as Bevan Ee
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 03, 2016, 06:38:26 PM »
So happy.

So very... very happy.
I am a toxic person engaging in toxic behavior.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• This title doesn't make sense.
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 03, 2016, 07:02:12 PM »
Anyone knows who is localizing it?
Sometimes, you just want to play a video game.
NNiD: Triforcehermit09

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 03, 2016, 07:12:07 PM »
Yay! I can now type out Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE all the time instead!

Good question. I just assume it's Treehouse, but maybe it's Atlus USA? Bravely Default and Bravely Second I know were by some other group.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 03, 2016, 07:21:22 PM »
Yay! I can now type out Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE all the time instead!

Good question. I just assume it's Treehouse, but maybe it's Atlus USA? Bravely Default and Bravely Second I know were by some other group.

Fingers crossed for Atlus USA. I have no confidence in Treehouse for a game that only want because it wantonly flaunts how different it is from North American culture.
NNID: ejamer

Offline Triforce Hermit

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: March 03, 2016, 07:40:00 PM »
Well I was curious. I would LOVE for it to be Atlus USA. They do a great job and always include special editions. I'll be disappointed if it is Treehouse.

Still, I have something to plus in the next few months on the Wii U. So I'm happy  :D

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 03, 2016, 09:09:52 PM »
Late June is the perfect time for a huge JRPG like this, so I was happy to see that date come up during the Direct. The game? Not so much. Now the acronym makes me think of Japanese animation studio TMS.  ;)
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 03, 2016, 09:20:10 PM »
I'm hoping this is an Atlus job, myself. The choice to keep the dub in Japanese might seem lazy to some, but I see it as a very smart move, as the game is so distinctly grounded in Japan.

The estimated playtime for the game is apparently 25-30 hours, with an extra 10-15 more if you want to do all the sidequest stuff. That puts it in league with The Last Story rather than Xenoblade, which is fine by me.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 03, 2016, 09:28:07 PM »
I'm hoping this is an Atlus job, myself. The choice to keep the dub in Japanese might seem lazy to some, but I see it as a very smart move, as the game is so distinctly grounded in Japan.

Ugh...Nintendo's too cheap to dub the game (I wasn't able to listen to the Direct while I was at work)? That really brings down my hype for the game.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 03, 2016, 09:39:20 PM »
The game has J-Pop singles.

It is set in Tokyo.

It's about people attempting to succeed in the J-Pop industry.

While redubbing the songs themselves would be a madman's task, choosing to keep the characters Japanese is a respectable choice, and also allows them to get by with minimal censorship since Japan so crazy.

Offline TOPHATANT123

• Wear a hat that's foil lined in case an alien's inclined to probe your butt or read your mind
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 03, 2016, 09:45:45 PM »
A 4chan user correctly posted the new name and lack of dub before the direct so it's safe to assume what they say is legit. They claim that outfits are being toned down, hot springs dlc removed, Tsubasa aged up to 18 and localisation is being handled by ATLUS supervised by NOA.
http://personacentral.com/potential-tokyo-mirage-sessions-fe-localization-content-changes/

I agree that a dub would be nigh impossible considering they spent so much time and money producing the songs and voice acting for the Japanese version.

Here's the box art, ESRB logo seemingly confirms it's also getting a physical release in the North America.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 09:57:11 PM by TOPHATANT123 »

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 03, 2016, 09:56:20 PM »
A 4chan user correctly posted the new name and lack of dub before the direct so it's safe to assume what they say is legit. They claim that outfits are being toned down, hot springs dlc removed, Tsubasa aged up to 18 and localisation is being handled by ATLUS supervised by NOA.
http://personacentral.com/potential-tokyo-mirage-sessions-fe-localization-content-changes/

I agree that a dub would be nigh impossible considering they spent so much time and money producing the songs and voice acting for the Japanese version.
...Crap. I mean, after reading the article, I guess it's nothing TOO extreme. I didn't really think any of the costumes WERE all that extreme... but the swimsuit DLC is, well, optional content, so I think it shouldn't really have much effect on the game. If people want to buy that stuff, they can.

Don't change Japan, NOA. The whole reason I want this game is because I really loved being there.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2016, 10:09:15 PM by Evan_B »

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 03, 2016, 10:07:42 PM »

I disagree that leaving the Japanese audio is just cheaping out.  Budget is obviously a concern for a game that projects to be so niche - but using Japanese language with subtitles suits this game extremely well and would have been kind of disappointed if the Japanese audio was removed.

Ugh. My interest in the game is already waning.

I wouldn't buy the hot springs DLC, but hate stuff like this being removed on principal. For Nintendo this type of localization clean-up has been in the news non-stop over the past 3 months or so, but with this game in particular it seems inappropriate to tone things down for Western sensibilities.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 03, 2016, 10:13:00 PM »
I understand the localization aspects that have been cropping up, but as ejamer said, you have a perfect excuse to keep this game as it was because of the setting. Saying you're respecting the setting with audio and then censoring other aspects because it's too Japanese is kind of an odd paradox, if you know what I mean?

Plus, Atlus games are already niche and very Japanese. Why didn't this come up when Etrian Odyssey IV had young girls dressed in sultry clothing?

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 03, 2016, 10:18:30 PM »
I still don't understand what this has to do with Fire Emblem.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 03, 2016, 10:20:10 PM »
Nothing, which is why I'm excited for it.

Also the reason it will likely be a good game.

Offline Triforce Hermit

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 03, 2016, 10:21:52 PM »
NoA supervising Atlus? More stuff for the censor hounds to bark about at NoA's terrible decisions. Age changes are irrelevant, costume tone downs are irrelevant, hot springs dlc sounds like pure fan service. If this was actually Persona with Social Links? I would be outraged. This is not going to have anything of the sort so I don't care.

I find the Japanese only voice dubs lazy. But the game sold poorly and it is a surprise it is even coming over to be honest. I'll take it.

@Mop- It has Fire Emblem names....and...uhh...

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 03, 2016, 10:22:50 PM »
The game has J-Pop singles.

It is set in Tokyo.

It's about people attempting to succeed in the J-Pop industry.

While redubbing the songs themselves would be a madman's task, choosing to keep the characters Japanese is a respectable choice, and also allows them to get by with minimal censorship since Japan so crazy.

It's common practice in most dubs with songs to leave the songs in Japanese, so I'm not buying that.

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 03, 2016, 10:45:26 PM »
NoA supervising Atlus? More stuff for the censor hounds to bark about at NoA's terrible decisions. Age changes are irrelevant, costume tone downs are irrelevant, hot springs dlc sounds like pure fan service. If this was actually Persona with Social Links? I would be outraged. This is not going to have anything of the sort so I don't care.
I will never, ever, EVER give two shits about modern Persona, which would hardly ever be censored because of its popularity. And yet, I care about this game because of its unique subject matter. So I guess it comes down to personal taste.

I haven't seen anything from the original trailers and such that I thought was too detestable (minus the one swimsuit reference in the reveal trailer), so I'm not raging too hard about localization and I can't see all that many changes coming about. I just find it to be a bit strange. Now, bringing up the point that the game didn't sell well is also crucial- and likely another reason they didn't redub it. But again, I'm not complaining since I like the Japanese language and such.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #119 on: March 04, 2016, 12:05:52 AM »
An Atlus game releasing day and date in Europe and North America? Nintendo are wizards, I swear.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: March 04, 2016, 06:00:16 AM »
It's common practice in most dubs with songs to leave the songs in Japanese, so I'm not buying that.

That's because Japanese music companies are crazy controlling. Also, the English localization companies probably can't afford to make a good English version of a Japanese song. The sort of talent you would need to pull it off is most likely doing more profitable things.

Nintendo of America chose the smoothest past here. Given the alleged vast amount of voice overs in the game as well as the musical nature of the game, an English dub would have been tough and costly. Finding the actors that will fit well with Japanese cartoon characters is tough already; finding ones that can sing as well I'd imagine to be night impossible. The notion of keeping the songs in Japanese is something that we're used to, but that doesn't hide the fact that is an awkward and arguably bad transition.

Perhaps this is thinking too highly of Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, but I think it best to approach the sub-only approach of the English localization as you would to a live-action foreign film.

Which brings me to...

Ah, Nintendo outside of Japan. You can't make it month without a culture clash and edited art.

Friend of the site Syrenne is playing the game and has described the likely-flashpoint of #FE's Chapter 2. Basic gist is that our teenage heroines will be dressing down to distract a salacious antagonist. That plot movement, along with deep cleavage and panties shots, is something that can be expected in a trashy and horny late-night anime series.

While I'll be disappointed with the inevitable edits, I can understand and respect Nintendo's decisions to give a second pass on these sorts of things.

Just because I can enjoy some gross, tactless, shallow, and provocative stuff doesn't mean the rest of the world has to put up with it all the time. And that world includes a company adjusting the audience aim of its products.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 02:45:44 PM by Enner »

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #121 on: March 04, 2016, 06:18:46 AM »
To follow up on what Syrenne said: she's reaching out to Nintendo of America now, because Chapter 2's sick Japanese version might get the game AO-rated in North America.

Basically, it could be considered something that not even 4chan allows, and it's not messing with football.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Soren

• Hanging out in the Discord
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
Re: Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE (June 24) - Now with 92% less censorship!
« Reply #122 on: March 04, 2016, 07:37:53 AM »
It'll get edited and it will fit a T rating. People need to deal with it.
My YouTube Channel: SenerioTV

Offline ejamer

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 04, 2016, 12:02:06 PM »
It'll get edited and it will fit a T rating. People need to deal with it.

My "dealing with it" will be a rationalization process. First, does the game offer something I want and (if so) exactly what is the appeal? Second, how much is it worth to me?

Right now, the answer to the first question is "yes". This game looks so far outside my usual tastes or interests, so crazy that my interest is piqued.  (That interest level gets boosted slightly due to the complete void of competition in the Wii U release schedule.)

The answer to the second question is much tougher and depends on how localization goes. Frankly, my interest is paying full price drops significantly if this moves from "a thing that doesn't make sense and probably shouldn't exist on the platform" to just a slightly weird JRPG. The further away from obscene spectacle the game moves, the less value if has to me.

Maybe NoA will make the whole process academic though, by moving the game to a digital-only release. In that case I wouldn't even consider buying so it wouldn't matter what localization does.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 07:24:44 AM by ejamer »

Offline Evan_B

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 04, 2016, 12:41:39 PM »
See, now that's a story point I'm just going to be amused with. What I mean is, I will enjoy seeing them try to censor it as best they can, because it sounds absolutely ridiculous. Still, aging the characters up while still indulging the audience that enjoys anime (no matter the type) seems like the wisest choice. I mean, let's face it- Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE: A Genei Ibun Roku tale isn't going to sell gangbusters here in the west. It's a nice game on a niche console. Lowering the rating might entice younger players to get it, but keeping it high also means respecting the fanbase that would be interested in buying it. Tough call.

I just don't know. I've decided that I'll be taking a long break from video games after Zelda Wii U comes out because I can't  keep getting all worked up about this sort of stuff.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 12:45:52 PM by Evan_B »