Author Topic: Viva Pinata  (Read 5773 times)

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Viva Pinata
« on: November 20, 2006, 03:58:32 AM »
I know everyone's too hyped up with the Wii and PS3 to care what is going on with the 360, but anyone try Viva Pinata yet? I ask because much to my surprise the game has gotten solid reviews and good word of mouth and wanted to know if this was true.

I admit that if the game wasn't on the 360 and made by Rare I would pick it up in an instant. I love weird, quirky games like this and VP embodies this quite well.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
RE: Viva Pinata
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2006, 06:34:22 AM »
Its out?
I haven't seen anything for it yet. Knowing Rare I figured it was pushed back.
"Alright, you know what? I'm just giving in and looking at the breasts."
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2006, 07:05:36 AM »
It wasn't delayed? Seriously?
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2006, 07:27:55 AM »
Why don't you guys just walk into the next room and talk with each other instead of filling up my forum with your discussions about something that clearly no one else cares about?  
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2006, 07:54:40 AM »
It's a legitimate question for the forum it's in and I'd like to know the answer.

Besides, he's asking people on the forums if anyone has tried it. I'd like to know how it turned out...
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2006, 08:01:48 AM »
Talk with Pap64 would require a plane ticket and a multi-hour flight.
Crow ~ MST3K
<BR>-- I like my food like I like my women Chinese, Japaneses, Korean, Filipino, Vietnamese and Hot! --

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
RE:Viva Pinata
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2006, 08:13:17 AM »
Haven't played it, but finally hearing what it's all about has certainly peaked my interest. From what I've heard, the game includes getting pinatas to "do it" and then possibly feeding their offspring to other pinatas so they can "do it" as well, pinata racism/hate crimes/gang wars and even straight up genocide! Awesome!

If this game came from Nintendo, we'd all have been going nuts over it for some time now. Of course, that may have something to do with the track records of both Nintendo and Rare, but still. The game looks fun.  

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 08:22:30 AM »
In hopes that I don't derail this into a personal discussion, Vudu...

1. I hope you don't turn this into a joke in which we try to have a serious PGC discussion, then keep saying stuff like that. Yes, I know we are real life friends, but just because that's reality is doesn't I can't speak to them in the forums.

2. I don't live with them. Like I stated on the confession thread, I live in Puerto Rico and they live in the US. I only see them in summer, so no, I can't just walk to their rooms and ask.

3. Like S_B stated, I was asking EVERYONE on the forums because I heard the game has gotten some surprising solid reviews and I am curious to see what everyone else here thinks about it.

Cap, S_B last I heard the game is already available and its been reviewed by a couple of websites already. Gamestop has it available to sell as well. They also have a 2 disc special edition of the game, which includes a bunch of demos and two episodes of the TV shows (which I confess I have a love/HATE relationship with...).

I admit I fell in love with three of the pinata species in the game, the fizzlybear, the pritztail and the fudgehog. If I had the game, my garden would be nothing but those three.

But like I said, its the fact that its on the 360 and is made by Rare that is keeping me away from the game and want to see some more opinions on the game.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2006, 11:01:09 AM »
I thought reviews were broken these days.  That's the word around here.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2006, 12:36:55 PM »

Originally posted by: Professional 666
I thought reviews were broken these days.  That's the word around here.

Hence why I decided to ask around and see if there is some valid truth to the reviews.

I was expecting less than stellar reviews, considering Rare's POOR track with MS. But it seems that VP is quite a fun little game.

Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2006, 03:13:14 PM »

In hopes that I don't derail this into a personal discussion, Vudu...
I was just trying to make a joke.  It was a little funny that you created a thread and the only two people to respond within the next 3.5 hours were your friends.  

Also, there are no such things as serious PGC discussions ... only non-serious NWR discussions.

Also, just so I don't completely derail anything, Viva Pinata currently has an 86% on Game Rankings.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2006, 02:26:31 PM »
Haven't played the game either but... if I was optimistic I'd imagine it as the base-building and maintaining portion of Dungeon Keeper... which was awesome, btw.

~Carmine M. Red
Kairon@aol.com
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline couchmonkey

• I tye dyed my Wii and I love it
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2006, 06:03:49 AM »
This game looks quite cool.  I figured this one might get Rare back on track because it's a little more unique than the other games they've done lately.  Rare does unique well.

But I surely don't have the dough for an Xbox 360, so I can't play it.
That's my opinion, not yours.
Now Playing: The Adventures of Link, Super Street Fighter 4, Dragon Quest IX

Offline Hocotate

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2006, 12:40:24 PM »
Viva Pinata does look interesting, I would like to play it (along with a number of other XC games). I'll buy a 360 when it is at least $100 cheaper than it is now. I can wait.
Currently Playing: Twilight Princess(Wii), Castlevania: PoR(DS), Mario vs. Donkey Kong2(DS), Wii sports(Wii)
Anticipating: Mario Galaxy(Wii), Blue Dragon(360), Dragon Quest:Swords(Wii), Dragon Quest IX (DS)

Offline NWR_pap64

• View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2006, 01:22:17 PM »
Been meaning to post this. I am going to compare the average review scores of all the Rare games released on an XBOX consoles with Viva Pinata's score.

Grabbed by the ghoulies: 71%
Conker live and reloaded: 79%
Perfect Dark 0: 81%
Kameo: 81%
Viva Pinata: 85%

Definitely the highest, but the other Rare games were par at best and they got good scores. Makes me wonder even more about the game and the reviews it got...
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2006, 07:27:17 AM »
Well, everyone has different opinions.  One man's "par at best" is another man's awesome.  I'm sure a few people consider Wii Sports "par at best".

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2006, 12:52:50 PM »
I'm going to probaly buy it in the near future, but right now I'm going to play my Wii and Superman Returns for Xbox 360.  
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline capamerica

• ^______^
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 01:53:39 AM »
Hmm.. lets see:
Grabbed by the ghoulies: 71% = 20% in my book
Conker live and reloaded: 79% = 45% in my book
Perfect Dark 0: 81% = 65% in my book
Kameo: 81% = 60% in my book

So based on that I would take the guess that:
Viva Pinata: 85% = 60-65% in my book.

Ya its going to be pretty damn crappy.
Crow ~ MST3K

Offline JonLeung

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2006, 03:57:58 AM »
I watched three episodes of the Viva Pinata TV show.  Understanding that it's geared towards kids, I actually enjoyed it.

I'm guessing the game doesn't involve the same kind of antics, though.

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2006, 04:37:03 AM »
The game features antics of a different sort...the pinatas mate (disguised as a dance I think) and prey on each other.

The TV show supposedly incorporates tips from the game, I noticed that in a couple of episodes, too..."Oh so-and-so ate a such-and-such and mutated!"

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2007, 08:23:27 PM »
I just bought this game for my fiancee for Christmas and we started playing it a few days ago. If any of you guys own a 360 I seriously suggest picking this game up. It reminds me heavily of Pokemon/Animal Crossing/The Sims and is a total blast to play. If you are into simulation type games and you don't mind micro-management, it is very addicting. You can literally sit there and play for hours and not even realize the time has passed. The graphical style also makes it very inviting and visually appealing. The whole game is very well done and put together, and ignoring it due to some of Rare's other later offering would be foolish.

I can finally breath a sigh of relief that Rare isn't totally dead just yet.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline couchmonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2007, 04:02:01 AM »
Speaking of Rare not being totally dead just yet, how about those Stamper brothers leaving?  I don't know how much of an impact they had on actual game development in recent years, but it's certainly fuel for the anti-Rare fire.  I'm still a fan of the company, myself, but I have to wonder if this change will make things even worse.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
Re: Viva Pinata
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2008, 04:13:39 PM »
lol necroposting

I just tried the game for the first time (the original gardening sim one) and while it's cute, it didn't exactly hold my interest. There's a lot of crap to do, granted, but I didn't find the game very compelling.

The most enjoyable part of the game was heckling the little welsh girl with my shovel and watering can. :D

Offline Smakian

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Twitter Feed
Re: Viva Pinata
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2008, 02:35:44 PM »
Funny, I just randomly tried the demo, and it was like a friggin siren. I think I played for 4 hours straight. The game was never really on my radar at all, but now I think I'm seriously interested in the sequel.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Mine are just the correct ones.