Author Topic: Anime  (Read 120124 times)

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
Re: Anime
« Reply #100 on: April 24, 2008, 06:10:43 PM »
But Haruhi has scifi elements from what I gathered from prior posts, isn't it quite unusual for an anime of that sort to have dancing routines?

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 24, 2008, 06:40:58 PM »
The story is basically sci-fi, but Haruhi doesn't actually know that any of this is going on...(All events are told from the main character's (Kyon) perspective...)

So I guess you could take it as her being bored so she forced the SOS Brigade to come up with a dance routine...
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 02, 2008, 04:43:59 PM »
BTW, Monochrome Factor is pretty good now.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #103 on: August 06, 2008, 07:08:39 PM »
Has anybody watched Claymore? I started watching it yesterday because there is a DS game coming out for it.It is a pretty intresting anime.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 06, 2008, 07:23:35 PM »
I've read most of the manga...A bit too depressing for my tastes... =(

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #105 on: August 06, 2008, 07:44:16 PM »
Get ready for this...I've been watching Crayon Shin-Chan for the last two months. And I ain't talking about the bad Funimation version. I am watching the Castilian (sp?) Spanish dub of the original series.

Its such a great, funny series. I have a lot of favorite characters and the stories are great. Even the movies are fantastic!
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #106 on: August 06, 2008, 08:27:29 PM »
just hentai.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #107 on: August 06, 2008, 08:33:38 PM »
I have only watched the first 5 episodes. It is depressing because of how the Claymore are treated.The 4th episode was pretty sad until the end. In the fifth episode they introduce this new claymore who has this really big jerk then she finds this girl and her attitude changes.Which is nice.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 06, 2008, 09:47:38 PM »
I just hired Golgo 13 to kill all of you, good luck! He deserves a videogame too.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #109 on: August 06, 2008, 10:31:30 PM »
I believe Golgo 13 has 3 videogames.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #110 on: August 06, 2008, 10:39:18 PM »
Man Claymore is getting more and more depressing. After I finish it I have to watch something uplifting. These are the Animes I have watched Girls Bravo, Love Hina, Lucky Star, Inuyasha, Dragon Ball Z, Full Metal Alchemist,Samurai X,Ruironi Kenshin and Kanokun. What would you recommend?
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 07, 2008, 02:07:34 AM »
I watched Armored Trooper Votoms recently (original series and parts of the Pailsen Files OVA, you can watch either of them first), after the emofest that was Gundam 00 and the stupidity of Macross Frontier it was a very pleasant change of pace with characters not emoing about killing or their girlfriends or whatever. Modern anime has too much stupid drama ("baaaaaaw it's my fault everyone died because I couldn't single-handedly kill a 1000 man army!"), any character who isn't a total emo all the time is usually evil... Really needs more unconditional badasses rather than characters who can only fight worth crap between their emo scenes or after yet another deus ex machina.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #112 on: August 07, 2008, 12:07:30 PM »
I watched Armored Trooper Votoms recently (original series and parts of the Pailsen Files OVA, you can watch either of them first), after the emofest that was Gundam 00 and the stupidity of Macross Frontier it was a very pleasant change of pace with characters not emoing about killing or their girlfriends or whatever. Modern anime has too much stupid drama ("baaaaaaw it's my fault everyone died because I couldn't single-handedly kill a 1000 man army!"), any character who isn't a total emo all the time is usually evil... Really needs more unconditional badasses rather than characters who can only fight worth crap between their emo scenes or after yet another deus ex machina.

ahahahahahahhahahaha

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 07, 2008, 06:47:39 PM »
I believe Golgo 13 has 3 videogames.

I meant that it needs a modern rendition.

Man Claymore is getting more and more depressing. After I finish it I have to watch something uplifting. These are the Animes I have watched Girls Bravo, Love Hina, Lucky Star, Inuyasha, Dragon Ball Z, Full Metal Alchemist,Samurai X,Ruironi Kenshin and Kanokun. What would you recommend?

One Piece.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 07, 2008, 10:52:42 PM »
Ahaha, I think catching up on One Piece would take a VERY LONG TIME...

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #115 on: August 07, 2008, 11:04:31 PM »
Where does you guys watch anime? I go to Get-anime.net.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 07, 2008, 11:37:09 PM »
I follow what is showing in Japan every season and then download the subbed versions from animesuki.com or tokyotoshokan.com

From this Fall season I'm watching:
Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu - Romantic comedy
Kyouran Kazoku Nikki - Romantic comedy (more emphasis on comedy)
World Destruction - Adventure (based off of the upcoming DS RPG)

I highly recommend Kyouran Kazoku Nikki...A very fun-filled show with just a little (meaningful) drama...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 08, 2008, 04:06:17 AM »
Kyouran has almost no romance... It's more like Gintama, absurd comedy and character drama alternating.

Seriously, Votoms: Pailsen Files is good. First ep is pretty stupid with huge blimps that drop steel posts for no real reason other than to make the scene look like the d-day but it gets better after that.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 08, 2008, 06:34:08 AM »
Kyouran has almost no romance...

Really?  So you don't count the relationships between Ouka and Kyouka, Ginka and Chika, Hyouka and Kiriko, not to mention the side story between Rindou and Cat in the latest episode?  What would you call these then?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 08, 2008, 10:17:34 AM »
I count those as character drama, didn't all of these start out with some kind of hate between them (didn't all end with love either I think, some left the characters as "just friends")? Also there's not much development for each of them.
I'd count Shinigami's story as more love-storyish than, say, Rindou and Cat.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 08, 2008, 06:39:35 PM »

It's not like the subbers are in a rush.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #121 on: August 08, 2008, 07:06:19 PM »
The anime I watch are essentially casual mini-games compared to the other hardcore emo-immersion cinematics.
and then there's teh boobies llololololloool

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 08, 2008, 07:46:12 PM »
I count those as character drama, didn't all of these start out with some kind of hate between them (didn't all end with love either I think, some left the characters as "just friends")? Also there's not much development for each of them.
I'd count Shinigami's story as more love-storyish than, say, Rindou and Cat.

Eh?  I really don't follow your definition of Romantic Comedy at all, then...Pairings don't need to love each other unconditionally at the beginning of the story (rather, quite the opposite, most Romantic Comedies draw much of their humor from the tension between a couple)...

As for depth, there are a ton of characters and it's impossible to cut that down into 24 episodes without making the series completely about romance, and that isn't the point, particularly considering the relationship between Ouka and Kyouka is the pivotal one of the story...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 09, 2008, 03:41:18 AM »
Romantic X is when the secret is "I love him but can't tell him", drama is when the secret is "I killed your parents and raped your dog, sorry". Not that I really care, I think love stories are just a source of suck in fiction as often the "tension" between characters is just a combination of really stupid ideas, e.g. characters feelin responsible for things they did accidentally as if they did it on purpose, characters "too shy" to tell the critical part of a story that would instantly remove the tension and the ever popular "mistaken context" jokes with two characters talking about different things but not noticing and creating some kind of horrible mental picture of the other guy... Oh, and of course "I love him but I'll act like an evil bitch because I'm too shy". Generally I can't enjoy stories when I constantly wish someone would hit the characters with a cluebat.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 09, 2008, 07:12:13 AM »

Well I started watching One Piece in May, and now I'm up to episode 132.  I have over 300 more episodes to go, but I'll eventually get there.  Of course with classes starting up in a few weeks, I'm not going to have much time to watch anymore.

So yeah, trying to catch up to One Piece does take a long time.  But it's a great show so it's worth it.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai