Author Topic: Anime  (Read 120129 times)

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Anime
« on: June 14, 2007, 04:49:37 PM »
So I just finished watching all the episodes of Avatar: The Last Airbender over at TV-links and I must say, I'm kinda sad now .

I haven't liked an anime since Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo (I like the previous way better), but this one won me over somehow. It wasn't bloated with dialogue that would ultimately fly over my head like most anime (i.e. Ghost in the Shell). It was really simple to understand and to follow. It almost plays out like a videogame. Also, the action isn't half-bad and sometimes I'm really impressed by its presentation.

Anyway, the reason I made this thread and what I ultimately would like to ask you is, what animes/cartoons would you suggest I watch next?

Keep in mind that I like animes that are more fantasy than sci-fi (though Bebop is a rare exception, the music alone is enough reason to watch). I like action in my animes, but if it's one thing I hate, it's those sequences where the characters are throwing punches at each other and the background is a mess of colors and lines. One more thing, I don't like in animes is when they amplify characters' emotions by making them fall down; and I especially hate the giant tear drop.

I would really appreciate this.

You can go HERE to look at all the anime up on the site. The list is pretty comprehensive. Oh and if you haven't checked out the site, PLEASE do!

I didn't even hear about it till a couple months ago, and now I visit it almost everyday [/spam....(sort of)]  
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
RE: Anime
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 06:18:18 PM »
Non-Sci-Fi: Mai HiME, Hellsing, Darker than BLACK (this one's music is done by Yoko Kanno, the same gal who did Bebop's)

Sci-Fi, but awesome nevertheless: Zegapain, Eureka seveN, Soukyuu no Fafner, anything Gundam.
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 09:17:58 AM »
Basilisk, Berserk...there's more I would recommend but I don't think you would like them.
Basilisk is just like Ninja scroll.
Berserk is set in a fantasy medievil age, after you watched it and you want to know more then you will have to read the manga because the tv series ended because of lack of funds.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 01:38:42 PM »
If you want to get into a long ongoing series...

Naruto is a really good series overall (in japanese forget the english version: narutofan.com). Stop watching the series at around episode 137, after that it's fillers until...:

Naruto: Shippuuden (the second part of the anime series which picks up where the manga left off after a time gap) is even better with a much more "mature" tone, fantastic music and pretty good animation most of the time.  

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
RE:Anime
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 05:15:36 PM »
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 07:49:44 PM »
Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind

Its a crime to not mention Miyazaki in an anime topic.

I also enjoyed Steamboy (one my wife actually got interested in). I still have a special spot in my heart for Akira. Then the cyber punk series Bubblegum Crisis (the original). While goofy, still neat to see transforming cycles and girls in mech suits fighting boomers.

There was a recent release of Appleseed that I enjoy, but it is one of those slightly technobabble movies, and entirely CGI, which makes for some very plastic looking anime. Hello japanese barbi.

I have the Cowboy Beebop movie, and someday I will have the series. I wish it would continue further as its so entertaining. I find myself smiling through out each episode.

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 09:15:41 PM »
I've seen both Mononoke and Spirited Away. I liked them both.

What is Miyazaki?

P.S. I tried watching Naruto. Unfortunately, I never could get into it. Perhaps I'lll try Shippuuden.

Thanks for your help so far guys. I'll check out all your suggestions!
"Hey....

Qoute of the Summer

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 10:01:46 PM »
I agree fully with Kushinada.

Offline Mashiro

• Silent Protagonist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2007, 04:16:42 AM »
True Bustin, I was thinkin' more along the lines of shows and not feature length films.

Miyazaki is the director of the films Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away. He has done many films and contributed to other works.

If you couldn't really get into Naruto...Shippuden might be a little hard to follow (due to the continuing overall story) and a lot of the meaningful events won't mean much since you don't have much background on the characters but I say go for it. You may find yourself bakctracking to the original series because you like Shippiuden =).

Edit: Oh and they should be continuing Cowboy Bebop through more feature length films apparently. After the first movies release numerous interviews have stated that the crew and creator have a desire to keep exploring the bebop universe.  

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2007, 05:27:20 AM »
Kyou Kara Maoh!
Black LagoonSort of like Cowboy Bepop on Water
TriGun
Hand Maid MayI just like the series
Out of the ones there I suggest those.

I've also been enjoying Hitman Reborn and Kekkaishi, ironically enough I found both these series through my more involvement with the Media Create Numbers ironically enough.  

Edit: Reboot!Sweet!
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2007, 06:27:28 AM »
I realyl don't like Kekkaishi, Reborn is nice though. One I'm regularly watching now is Kenichi, apparently the series got an extension since it was originally planned for 26 eps and the story had a timing that would have allowed beating the strongest known boss within that frame, now they've "escalated" it to include more dangerous foes that the main character will have to stand against...

Offline Darkheart

• Darkheart
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2007, 07:46:37 AM »
Haibane Renmei, - a non action suspense drama thats pretty (the artwork is done by Yoshitobe Abe the guy who did Lain)

Angelic Layer- a girly clamp action show

Chobits- hilarious with dirty humor

Excel Saga- SO HILARIOUS YOU WILL BE LAUGHING REALLY HARD EACH EPISODE

Bleach- I could not get into Naruto but Bleach is an awesome action show and each episode is up and running on youtube.   In matter of fact almost all of these can be watched there.

Gunsmith Cats is another awesome anime thats action packed with hots girls with guns

As far as movies, I am a huge miyazaki fan:

* NausicaƤ of the Valley of the Wind, 1984 film
* Laputa: Castle in the Sky, 1986 film
* My Neighbor Totoro, 1988 film
* Kiki's Delivery Service, 1989 film
* Porco Rosso, 1992 film
* Princess Mononoke, 1997 film
* Spirited Away, 2001 film (winner, Academy Award for Best Animated Feature, 2002)
* Howl's Moving Castle, 2004 (nominee, Academy Award for Best Animated Feature, 2005)

My taste in anime is pretty kid1e with romantic comedies tossed in here or there.

Good Luck :3

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2007, 09:07:47 PM »
Suppose I should list some stuff too.

First off, NONE OF YOU WATCH GINTAMA?!? I know Bill does but the rest of you should be ashamed. ASHAMED.

Galaxy Angel is made of win and hilarity.

Tenpou Ibun Ayakashi Ayashi is a pretty cool one.

Keroro Gunsou is win, too.

Seto no Hanayome also ranks high in the hilarity.

Lucky Star has a weak first episode but after that gets pretty funny.

Hayate no Gotoku had a main character bash the PS3, talking about how HD doesn't make the games better. What more do you want? Oh, right, Gintama has the Wii launch day in one episode...

I got into D. Gray-Man because of JUMP Superstars. Nice show.

Going with some older ones, FLCL is insanity in moving picture form and I quite liked Mahoromatic.

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 07:31:39 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
First off, NONE OF YOU WATCH GINTAMA?!? I know Bill does but the rest of you should be ashamed. ASHAMED.
I don't have time to watch more stuff! T_T
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2007, 09:25:33 AM »
ASHAMED! Then make time! GINTAMA > ALL.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2007, 11:28:36 AM »
We are just finishing up Galaxy Angel at my house.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2007, 09:50:25 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
ASHAMED! Then make time! GINTAMA > ALL.

I don't think I can make too many recommendations that Requiem would like, mainly because I'm mostly watching Comedy and Romantic Comedy right now...

Gintama (I swear, if I were a girl, I'd be Kagura...)
Nagasarete Airantou (Young boy washed up on deserted island inhabited by nothing but women...A Harem anime that doesn't suck like a traditional harem anime...)
Lucky Star (Hilarious show about a bunch of schoolgirls in random scenes with more easter eggs than you can shake a stick at...Random, random, RANDOM!)
Hayate no Gotoku! (Cute guy + cute loli + talking tiger + silly old butler + tons of funs spoofs and easter eggs = SUCCESS!  It DOES have quite a bit of comedy action, though!)
Seto no Hanayome (Yay mermaids!  Mermaid GANGSTERS!  Thanks for the recommendation, KDR... =3)

And now I'm going to check out Code Geass because I see art on the damn thing everywhere...Action?  Maybe!  
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2007, 07:04:47 PM »
Code Geass = mechas + CLAMP designs + Sunrise production + Gundam SEED plot (at least the first few seemed like a carbon copy...)

seems like everyone and their mothers were seeing it this past season ._.U (I just watched the first few and did not hook me... maybe I'll have to give a second chance... when I have the time (which will probably be never, as by the time I finish with the tings I'm watching now, Mobile Suit Gundam 00 would've began airing... and THAT has TOP PRIORITY...))

EVERYONE SHOULD WATCH DARKER THAN BLACK THOUGH
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2007, 12:20:11 AM »
Code Geass is nice since it relies more on Lelouch's ability to form strategies than charge in and dodge all attacks thrown at him while doing dramatic comebacks each time he's defeated (that's Suzaku's job). Animesuki lists it as 25 episodes but Ep 23 was labelled as the end and no fansubs of any ep after that has been released AFAIK, if you count the recaps it does go up to 25 with the released ones but the ending was quite incomplete, like Halo 2 incomplete. Wikipedia says there's a second season in the works. I once thought about turning it into an RTS mod for the Spring engine but the gameplay would end up being too much like the Gundam mod thats already running on that.

At roughly the same time Death Note ran, that also had an emphasis on strategy but IMO was better at it than Code Geass. It got licensed already.

One I listed before was Kyou no Go no Ni, all four eps are released as fansubs now.

A series I'm currently following is Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann (I believe it was mentioned in Hayate no Gotoku as well), the basic story is a stereotypical super robot anime but the characters are great and overall it has a very visible style. It's hilarious at times and if you want cute girls it has those too. Oh and the evil guys are furries.

Offline Bill Aurion

• NWR Forum Loli
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2007, 04:12:26 AM »
I can't believe I'm enjoying Code Geass as much as I am, mainly because I hate mecha anime...But I also really love Full Metal Panic so I guess these are the exceptions... =)
~Former Resident Zelda Aficionado and Nintendo Fan~

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2007, 06:37:37 PM »
I kind of grew tired of and walked away from anime a few years ago, but here are a few I still like. Anything by Studio Ghibli is great (I really liked Whisper of the Heart... except the last line). FLCL is amazing. Azumanga Daioh is also quite good. I'm also a fan of Urusei Yatsura.

If you can track down the first 2 seasons of Sailor Moon dubbed and released by DiC, do so. File it under the "so bad it's good" category. As quality anime, it's utter failure in every way. As unintentional comedy, it's pure gold. I vaguely remember this one episode where Sailor Moon says, "You're toast, but after I'm done with you, you'll be nothing *poses and points at lame and generic villain* but bread crumbs." Awesome.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2007, 04:23:45 AM »
Oh man, I went to college with a guy whose devotion to Sailor Moon was downright creepy.  He was also obsessed with some Olympic gymnast.  Now that I think about it, he'd probably like all this loli stuff a lot, too.

I'll n+1 FLCL, too, but only if you have some knowledge of the various other works it references.  I'm sure I didn't get everything out of it, although I was very glad that I had watched enough Lupin III to get the boxing glove thing.  That whole scene would have seemed completely random otherwise.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2007, 06:22:11 AM »
FLCL was one of the first animes I watched. I got zero references...

Offline Artisto16

• maybe I shouldn't use giant avatars
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2007, 07:52:21 AM »
You should try something COMPLETELY different......

I recommend Yakitate Japan. It's a hilarious anime about bread baking....... It has a total of 69 episodes, and it's a great diversion to your typical anime. Did I mention that it's probably the funniest anime you'd ever watch?
No me digas!

Offline Requiem

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2007, 09:39:14 AM »
I know this isn't really anime but a parody of one, still this SOUTHPARK episode is probably one of the funniest ones ever made. I urge you, even if you don't like southpark, to give this episode a chance!

The music is the best part!

http://www.north-park.net/episode.php?content=801
"Hey....

Qoute of the Summer