Author Topic: A Revolution in China?  (Read 8831 times)

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
A Revolution in China?
« on: May 05, 2006, 06:39:09 PM »
So, on the way home I had a thought (not quite developed enough to be a theory).  I may have come up with one good reason for the name change – China.  Nintendo has been priming the market for the past several years with the iQue, GBA, and I think even the DS, but hasn’t quite entered the market with a current-level home console.  Now, let’s say they choose to have their next console take that step – is the Chinese government going to look kindly on “Revolution”?  Wii on the other hand (meaning “we”) actually has a somewhat communist ring to it.  Call me crazy, but Nintendo may be thinking of more untapped markets than women and seniors.
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
RE: A Revolution in China?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 06:41:23 PM »
ha! that makes a lot of sense, including the "we" sound, is very chinese, although Im not sure, Im not expert in chinese or anything.

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
RE:A Revolution in China?
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 06:47:01 PM »
That is the funniest thing I've heard yet...and yet, it is one of the most feasible reasons for the name.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2006, 06:54:50 PM »

Originally posted by: mantidor
ha! that makes a lot of sense, including the "we" sound, is very chinese, although Im not sure, Im not expert in chinese or anything.

BlackNMild2k1 is an expert in chinese, he might tell us what it really means. Fa Kin Su Pah!

Offline jasonditz

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2006, 07:52:52 PM »
Since Chinese is a tonal language, it likely means more than one thing depending on how we say it. My Chinese is really awful, but I've never heard "Wii" used as a word.

Offline Requiem

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2006, 08:00:19 PM »
Jeez....

If that's true (very clever indeed) then good luck Nintendo.

China's CRAZY!

Then again, it does have the largest population of any country.
"Hey....

I'm not a whore, ok? Really.....really, I'm not.

But, if she slips man....if she slips, I slide!"

Qoute of the Summer

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 08:02:02 PM »
is the DS called "DS" in China?

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 08:08:51 PM »
It is, but it's not called the Nintendo DS, it's the iQue DS.

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 09:57:35 PM »
Yeah, I've heard other people bring up the possibility. I agree it seems likely that it played a part in the decision... though Nintendo could just as easily have renamed the console in China alone....
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my pokĂ©-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 10:10:15 PM »
What's to stop them from naming it "Wii" in China and something less ridiculous in English speaking countries?
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 10:13:43 PM »
I thought communist dictatorships see the term "revolution" as positive because they use it as the justification for their power? As in "communist revolution"? I'm pretty sure some of them call dissidents "counter-revolutionaries".

But then again it's still stupid to call a product sold for profit anything reminescent of the communist revolution.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2006, 03:47:24 AM »
Nintendo has been stressing that they want to get into untapped markets.

China is *the* untapped Home Console Market of the world... Geeze, if like 0.001% of the Chinese population bought a Wii and ever single other person in every single other country bought one, China would still be the #1 Market...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2006, 05:05:50 AM »
Nah, go for India instead.  Then you get the support of indie developers *rimshot*
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline Terranigma Freak

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2006, 06:01:01 AM »
Fat chance the Rev will be released in China--at least not anytime soon. China is the land of bootleg. Did you know the Sega Genesis was THE system to own there because Sega isn't as hard on piracy as Nintendo? No one in China even knows what's an SNES, let along N64. Plus, most of the Chinese population don't know games like Zelda, Metroid, Pilotwings, Starfox, or even Kirby. These big name games mean nothing to them. But they'll gladly embrace garbage like Final Fantasy and the like. The Gamecube's not even in China, yet. The PSX/PS2 is all the rage because of it's ability to play bootleg. Of course now that Sony's using Blu-Ray, I don't know how it'll affect the market there. Or people might just go play more PC games instead.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2006, 06:05:12 AM »
You mean with all the Chinese bootlegs of GameBoy Advance games, no one bootlegs the Zelda, Metroid or Kirby titles?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2006, 06:12:40 AM »

Originally posted by: KDR_11k
I thought communist dictatorships see the term "revolution" as positive because they use it as the justification for their power? As in "communist revolution"? I'm pretty sure some of them call dissidents "counter-revolutionaries".

But then again it's still stupid to call a product sold for profit anything reminescent of the communist revolution.

Well KDR in China every Tom Clancy game Ubi Soft put out is banned in China if it has references of Communist China, Korea, and other neighboring countries that had communist roots in them. Also if nintendo kept the revolution name it won't please the Chinese government at all, because if you remember the Google incident in China. For those who don't know what that incident was: Google wanted to establish a business building in China, the chinese government allowed them to do so on one stimpulation which was; Google had to erase all the images of the Tiananmen square protest that had tanks in them. Google refused to remove those images so Google never set up camp in China.  
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2006, 06:35:12 AM »
Uh, what? Last time I checked Google established google.cn that censors the search results appropriately for chinese users.

I don't think the word "revolution" is connected to Tiananmen square in China.

The much bigger problem with China is that you can forget about selling games that come on physical media there.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2006, 08:23:39 AM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob
You mean with all the Chinese bootlegs of GameBoy Advance games, no one bootlegs the Zelda, Metroid or Kirby titles?

Being latinamerica the adopted children of China regarding piracy I can confirm this. It was an enormous odissey for me to find Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission here, because most GBA games are their pirated chinese version with 10 GBA games and 100 NES games, and those 10 GBA games are never Metroid or Zelda.

Back in the famicom/NES days it was the same, thats why I came to know Zelda and Metroid only with the N64 and GC, for some reason those two franchises never got pirated to the level of Mario and thus were never popular.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2006, 09:31:13 AM »
That's intersting because the first game on that ancient GB multicart I got is Super Mario Land 2.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2006, 09:38:17 AM »

Originally posted by: Caliban

BlackNMild2k1 is an expert in chinese, he might tell us what it really means. Fa Kin Su Pah!
Learn Chinese in 3 minutes

Originally posted by: jasonditz
Since Chinese is a tonal language, it likely means more than one thing depending on how we say it. My Chinese is really awful, but I've never heard "Wii" used as a word.

Provided from link above:
17) That was stupid.......................So Fa Kin Wii Ta Did

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2006, 01:32:30 PM »

Originally posted by: UncleBob

Being latinamerica the adopted children of China regarding piracy I can confirm this. It was an enormous odissey for me to find Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission here, because most GBA games are their pirated chinese version with 10 GBA games and 100 NES games, and those 10 GBA games are never Metroid or Zelda.

Back in the famicom/NES days it was the same, thats why I came to know Zelda and Metroid only with the N64 and GC, for some reason those two franchises never got pirated to the level of Mario and thus were never popular.
I second that, after all, rampart piracy is why the PSX/PS2 are so popular here.....

Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Bloodworth

• Phantom
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2006, 10:33:29 PM »
I love how everyone acts as if I didn't know piracy exists in China.  Thanks.

That's obviously what made the entry of iQue and it's relative success such a big deal.  If Nintendo has a plan for Wii that they think will work in China, it may be influencing decisions such as the name.  And remember, officially, it's not the Nintendo Wii, it's just Wii, another element that would make sense in the Chinese marketplace where "iQue" has been the brand, not the obviously Japanese "Nintendo".
Daniel Bloodworth
Managing Editor
GameTrailers

Offline PaLaDiN

• I'm your new travel agent!
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2006, 10:46:14 PM »
iQue Wii looks sort of like Icari.

But yeah, pretty interesting theory.
<BR><BR>It shone, pale as bone, <BR>As I stood there alone...

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2006, 11:21:29 PM »
oh yeah I was sure you knew about piracy in China, I was confirming that for some odd reason, in the early days of piracy with the Famicom/NES, Zelda and Metroid were almost never pirated and thus became unknown in the region ("That guy is a woman!?", I get that a lot around here when playing metroid, even among what we could call traditional gamers). Im sure that being Zelda the first cartridge with a battery backup made things difficult for pirates, but I have no idea why Metroid was also left behind.

Offline jasonditz

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2006, 05:59:10 AM »
Who cares about piracy? Either you sell some of them games and the rest pirate, or you don't sell any of them games and they all pirate.