Author Topic: Email Nintendo and tell them you HATE the name!  (Read 64638 times)

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
RE:Email Nintendo and tell them you HATE the name!
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2006, 10:40:53 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane
In the end Nintendo still makes great games and their products are of incredibly quality and durability and they have fantastic customer service.
So why do you complain so much?  If the only things Nintendo screws up is the small crap that doesn't matter, stop worrying about it.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
RE: Email Nintendo and tell them you HATE the name!
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2006, 10:45:34 AM »
how big can the userbase be for a system named wii, will just have till wait till novemeber to see.

ok, its starting to sound better, however I am a Nintendo fan. Why do they do this to me, they force crap down my throught and they tell me i have to love it. I hate my future self already. I'm not telling anybody the name of the system untill its out and I own one. At least the flash video is cool, but i can't imagine saying wii all the time.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2006, 10:46:57 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu So why do you complain so much?  If the only things Nintendo screws up is the small crap that doesn't matter, stop worrying about it.

He mentioned it later in his post: if the console won't sell worth a damn in NA, why should Ian buy it when it likely won't receive much support?
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2006, 10:57:12 AM »
I'll still buy a Rev, but my faith in Nintendo has been greatly diminished by this.

With the DS, Nintendo seemed to be demonstrating that they indeed had a firm grip on reality and were following through with that by introducing games which sold the concept and did so admirably.

But this? What research could they have POSSIBLY done? Ask anyone on the street if they think "wee" is a good name for anything and I'm sure they'll tell you it isn't.

What irks me more is that Nintendo seems to have forsaken the apt and solid name of "Revolution" in favor of a bad pun.

I hate to break it to Nintendo, but urine has been called "wee" for far longer than their console and it's what people with think about when they say it, not Nintendo's revolutionary new console.

Nintendo NEEDS to be insulted right now. This message HAS to get through, even if it means insulting the hell out of them. It's better they hear that they're making fools of themselves from us, the loyal fans, than when the console experiences terrible sales because their target market can't stop laughing about the name.

And gentlemen, we are not Nintendo's target market: we're the fans. We're already sure-fire sales. Their TARGET market is the average teenager who thinks their a company designed for babies and this name just solidifies the notion.

For Nintendo's own sake, mail them and let them know how terrible of a name this is.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2006, 10:59:36 AM »

Originally posted by: Smash_Brother
He mentioned it later in his post: if the console won't sell worth a damn in NA, why should Ian buy it when it likely won't receive much support?
I meant in general.  I meant the posts I've had to read for the last three flipping years.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Bubba

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2006, 11:03:54 AM »
I sent one in...took about 2 minutes.

Just tell them why you don't like it.  Dont try to argue your cause by insulting them.  Just make it short and sweet.  If enough of this happens they will pull it.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2006, 11:07:05 AM »
"I hate to break it to Nintendo, but urine has been called "wee" for far longer than their console and it's what people with think about when they say it, not Nintendo's revolutionary new console."

If wii succeeds, I can see this changing.  The jokes will come and go and kids won't call their urine wee anymore.  They'll call the wii wee.
Maybe if we're lucky they'll say "Mom, I just revolutionized my pants."
HC: Honourary Aussie<BR>Originally posted by: ThePerm<BR>
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline Athrun Zala

• Tween Idol
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • TM!
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2006, 11:08:40 AM »
well, i sent them an email, telling them tht the name sounds bad in every language
Quote from: [b]Professional 666[/b]
JOIN MY ASS

IT'LL BE LOTS OF FUN
Best. Quote. Ever. XD

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2006, 11:13:15 AM »
Haha.
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the name back from Wii, to Revolution or something else.  However, if  that were the case?
I would be severely disappointed in Nintendo.  They would lose a margin of respect, even if it is suicide to face such backlash, undaunted.  And it's pitiful that all of you can't see this.
Competitors who back down never win.  I hope they keep the name.  I honestly do.
YOUR IWATA AVATAR LOOKS LIKE A REAL HOSTILE CREATION!!!!!<BR><BR>only someone with leoperd print sheets could produce such an image!!!<BR>

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2006, 11:13:50 AM »

This is MARKET DISRUPTION IN PRACTICE.

Disrupting what?  Their own profit forecasts?

Seriously, I wouldn't go as far as the Perm, but his reaction is the problem you're going to face from a large portioon of people who need to be swayed into buying into the REVOLUTION.  And it is a problem, whether you want to believe it or not.  

Haha.
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the name back from Wii, to Revolution or something else. However, if that were the case?
I would be severely disappointed in Nintendo. They would lose a margin of respect, even if it is suicide to face such backlash, undaunted. And it's pitiful that all of you can't see this.
Competitors who back down never win. I hope they keep the name. I honestly do.

They could easily avert the negativity in response to them cowering and changing the name by acting like it was a big joke and announcing the real name at the conference at e3.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2006, 11:17:19 AM »
"I meant in general. I meant the posts I've had to read for the last three flipping years."

Well the weak support issue still applies.  Though often with the small things the screwup affects me so I express my displeasure in it.  I mentioned I wrote an email to Nintendo about the first Cube demo disc.  What pissed me off about it was that I personally could not obtain a copy "officially" because I already had a Cube and for some reason Nintendo decided that only new Cube owners should get the demo disc.  A lot of the small screwups on the Cube directly affected Cube owners so it made sense to complain about them.

Thinking about the Rev now it's like this whole time I've been thinking "if I was in charge of NOA how would I salvage this?"  First there's the non-gamer focus designed to address an issue in Japan that doesn't apply to North America, then there's the weird controller, then there's no HD, then there's the weak hardware specs, and now there's the worst name every used for a videogame system ever.  There's just been so many huge "I don't know about that" stuff revealed about the Wii.  There's been some great things too but there is way too much "iffy" stuff here.

Though I'm probably more interested in E3 now.  The Rev has become so weird that I can't help but pay attention to it.  It's like even if it totally crashes and burns it will interesting to watch in a car wreck sort of way.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2006, 11:22:15 AM »
Yeah with how fast this news has traveled the Wii is now known.  It's tainted the console already.  It will be forever a stigma.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2006, 11:23:17 AM »

Originally posted by: vudu
I meant in general.  I meant the posts I've had to read for the last three flipping years.

Fair play there, but I used to argue against Ian when he said Nintendo was out of touch with reality. I can't make that argument anymore...

If wii succeeds, I can see this changing. The jokes will come and go and kids won't call their urine wee anymore. They'll call the wii wee.
Maybe if we're lucky they'll say "Mom, I just revolutionized my pants."

I can't. I don't see this name having even a shred of mainstream acceptance, which means ultra-poor sales.

"Wii" sounds like some new-age, german car which will only be bought by the horribly eccentric. The name will likely scare the same people Nintendo was trying to attract by sounding too far out into left field. The blue ocean strategy won't work if people can't respect the name.

In the US, buying a product is making a decision. American buyers want to feel confident about their purchasing decisions. I know some would argue that "it doesn't matter" but since the American buyers have, you know, MONEY, Nintendo should at least consider what they want to buy.

If Americans hear the name and laugh, they're NOT GOING TO BUY IT. Would you buy a car called the "Stinc"? A blender called the "Püpie"? A TV made by a company called "Phart"? I sure as f*ck wouldn't and neither would 99 out of 100 Americans.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2006, 11:29:38 AM »

Originally posted by: Ian Sane

Though I'm probably more interested in E3 now.  The Rev has become so weird that I can't help but pay attention to it.  It's like even if it totally crashes and burns it will interesting to watch in a car wreck sort of way.

perfect thought
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline wandering

• BABY DAISY IS FREAKIN HAWT
    • View Profile
    • XXX FREE HOT WADAISY PICS
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2006, 11:36:22 AM »
Right, Ian, you've proven that Nintendo's strategy is working. Nintendo has always been 'iffy'. A game where you jump over barrels and face a giant monkey is 'iffy'. The problem with them lately is that they've become boring. Look at the cube.  What seperates it from the competition? What is remotely interesting about the name 'gamecube'?

Nintendo has recognized this and are now forcing people to pay attention. And it's working.

edit: I think I'm going to go email Nintendo and tell them how much I like the name.
“...there are those who would...say, '...If I could just not have to work everyday...that would be the most wonderful life in the world.' They don't know life. Because what makes life mean something is purpose.  The battle. The struggle.  Even if you don't win it.” - Richard M. Nixon

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2006, 11:39:00 AM »
I submitted a comment.  I wasn't negative about it.  I just pointed out that I thought it was cumbersome to use the name in conversation.  Everyone who submits a comment should avoid insults and obscenity.  Their customer reps are going to be overwhelmed now, and civility will go a long way toward getting your message heard.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2006, 11:40:52 AM »
I sent this email to Nintendo:

"It was revealed today that official name for the Revolution is the Wii.  I don't like that name at all.  I feel embarrased to say it out loud.  Wii sounds like "wee" which any English speaking individual knows is slang for urine.  It's also just very awkward to say.

I am also concerned about how this name will affect the North American market.  I know Nintendo is a Japanese company and that those making the decisions regarding the global name may be unaware of how North America reacts to a name that sounds good for the Japanese market.

I like Nintendo a lot and I enjoy Nintendo consoles.  In the last few years I've been disappointed in the amount of third party support the N64 and Gamecube received because of low market share.  I'm getting tired of buying consoles with bleak futures.  I think the name "Wii" is so unappealing that it will severely hurt consoles sales in North America which means that third party support will be quite poor.  I won't buy a "Wii" if I think it's going to flop.  There's no point if I can pick it up for cheap in a bargain bin a few months after launch.  With that name I think it's going to flop so I won't buy one.

Please reconsider the offical name for your next console.  I personally thought that "Revolution" was quite good."

I've kind of given up on the "don't insult them" train of thought.  I'm going to perfectly honest with them here.  Well I'm fibbing a little regarding how this will affect my purchase but I think a threat of a loss of sale will hit them harder then me just being annoyed.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2006, 11:41:19 AM »

Nintendo has recognized this and are now forcing people to pay attention. And it's working.

Stop shoveling this horsesh*t!  It could have just as easily been called King Chicken Nintendo, and the exact same hype would have reverberated throught the community, but without thinking of p*ss first.  No matter how you slice it, the name could have been just as provocative without sounding ridiculous.  
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2006, 11:47:05 AM »
"Yeah with how fast this news has traveled the Wii is now known. It's tainted the console already. It will be forever a stigma."

I think every last one of you is forgetting how the reaction to the controller was exactly the same as this.  The same people were complaining about it, the same people thought it was a terrible idea and Nintendo would bomb.  And now what?  Nintendo is expected to take E3 by the balls and dominate the show.
I'm already becoming accustomed to seeing the word Wii.  So will everyone, probably within less than a week.

Offline Smash_Brother

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2006, 11:51:09 AM »

Originally posted by: Hostile Creation I think every last one of you is forgetting how the reaction to the controller was exactly the same as this.  The same people were complaining about it, the same people thought it was a terrible idea and Nintendo would bomb.  And now what?  Nintendo is expected to take E3 by the balls and dominate the show.
I'm already becoming accustomed to seeing the word Wii.  So will everyone, probably within less than a week.

Umm, I don't think so.

My first reaction to the controller was, "Wow, I can't wait to see what they're going to do with it."

"Wii" is always going to be a synonym for urine. It's never going to change. There's nothing else about the name which needs to be revealed to make it more interesting. "I wonder how the name will change gaming." is not a valid statement. The name is that which potential customers will have to call the console, and many of those potential customers will be turned away from buying it because they don't want to own something which has the same name as a bodily excretion.

Offline trip1eX

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2006, 11:52:12 AM »
Yeah good point the reaction to the wiimote controller was the same.  I'll get used to it. My initial reaction to the look of the controller was worse.  I was like they went and made so weird that it will be made fun of.  But I read about it and pondered it and by the end of the day I was liking it.  Same thing here.

Wii will.  Wii will.  Rock you.

Wii are the champions my friends.  Wii'll be together until the end.  Wii are the champions.  Wii are the campions.  No time for 360s because wii are the champions of the world.  

Somehow wii can use the word we in a sentence and not all giggle like Beavis and Butthead.  Check back in a week and half the namesayers we'll be ok with it.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2006, 11:54:00 AM »

I think every last one of you is forgetting how the reaction to the controller was exactly the same as this. The same people were complaining about it, the same people thought it was a terrible idea and Nintendo would bomb
Um, no.  Actually, I for one loved the controller from the beginning, and I think Wii is a bad name (just read the last part of that sentence out loud for proof).  It's not just chronic naysayers complaining.

Offline Hostile Creation

• Hydra-Wata
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2006, 11:56:30 AM »
""Wii" is always going to be a synonym for urine. It's never going to change."

If we can say "we" without thinking wee, we're perfectly capable of saying Wii in a similar manner.  Grow up.

Also, the reaction to the remote was overwhelmingly negative, initially.  I remember checking out controller threads the day of, and twenty pages are dedicated to whining about how terrible Nintendo is.   So yeah, it pretty much is the same freaking thing, now isn't it?

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2006, 11:57:49 AM »
my initial reaction to the wiimote was WTF! then when i saw the people playing with it i was like HOLY SH!T!!! AWESOME!!

my initial reaction the name wii was: why would pgc joke about something like that, there's no way that could be the name, then once i realized it was for real i was kind of pissed. now my reaction is: eh, whatever.  
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2006, 12:01:01 PM »

King Chicken Nintendo

This is about the only thing that could be better than Wii.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa